PDA

View Full Version : New Front Page Article: A momentous occasion in Bangladeshi cricket - a Sri Lankan perspective

abherath
February 22, 2006, 07:44 AM
Sri Lanka is not the greatest team on earth. In spite of their reasonably good showing in Australia recently, they have been losing matches quite frequently to India, New Zealand, South Africa and Australia. Today's loss to Bangladesh caps it all.

Bangladesh has beaten greater teams - considering the current form of Sri Lanka and form of each other team beaten by Bangladesh, at the time of the loss - like India, Pakistan and Australia.

Given these two thuths, I still consider today's win a momentous occasion in Bangladeshi cricket, for this heralds to the world that Bangladesh has arrived. That the victory over Australia was no flash in the pan. That Bangladeshi wins are due to their capability. That losses which still outnumber wins by far are only a sign of not having reached the psychological plateau where you feel equal with any other team.

I can understand the jubilation in Bangladesh today. I remember how we celebrated in Sri Lanka when, once in a while, we beat a major team. Sometimes an unfair decision that went against the opposition would bother me deep inside. That the great team we beat did not have some of their top players too seemed to me to take away the gloss off such a victory. Today, after several years, I look back and realise that those wins were true wins. No flashes in the pan. That they became more frequent, with the interval between two wins rapidly diminishing, until we found suddenly that we were World Champions !

Today Bangladesh played like winners. Mashrafe, Rasel, Aftab Ahmed, Ashraful, Bashar, Kapali, all of them played like the so called stars of powerful teams in world cricket. The general air about them was the same as that about Duleep Mendis, Roy Dias, Arjuna Ranatunga, Asantha de Mel, Ravi Ratnayake et al when they used to spring 'surprises' on major teams in the mid and late 80s. Today, I know they were not surprises, but part of a process in which we became World Champions.

As a Sri Lankan, I am convinced that Bangladesh is good. Bangladesh is no longer a team to spring surprises.

Of course, the first defeat to any team is very hard to take. Sri Lanka had played Bangladesh on 15 occasions previously, not dropping a single game. So, against the backdrop of the recent poor showing of Sri Lanka, today’s defeat - the first to Bangladesh - was a very bitter pill to take; but as the dust settles down gradually, it dawns upon me that this has not been a very sad day, after all, for Sri Lanka - that it was just another loss in international cricket and definitely not the end of the road for Sri Lanka.

For Bangladesh, yes, this is a great win, one that signals that they are as good as the others.

Well done Bangladesh. I wish all my friends here and the millions of jubilant Bangladeshi fans more happiness watching their stars at play.

Edited on, February 22, 2006, 12:50 PM GMT, by abherath.

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 1:46 AM GMT, by RazabQ.
Reason: added the part about front page

cricman
February 22, 2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks abherath,your apprication can not be explained in words

mahrookh
February 22, 2006, 07:59 AM
Now you are talking you guys always been critised us , now we did beat you guys in next 5 years we will be beating all the test natoions for sure .

Shafin
February 22, 2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks a lot abheratf,thats what we call sportmanship and its what all the game is worth for:up:

abherath
February 22, 2006, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by mahrookh
Now you are talking you guys always been critised us , now we did beat you guys in next 5 years we will be beating all the test natoions for sure .

You have not been reading my posts then.

Learn to be graceful in victory as well as in defeat. Look at the other posts in reply here and learn from them.

Edited on, February 22, 2006, 1:03 PM GMT, by abherath.

thebest
February 22, 2006, 08:03 AM
Abhi,
you are true friend. You were there through thick and thin with us. It is after all a game. Thanks for the comments. it surely revitalise us.

israr
February 22, 2006, 08:07 AM
abbherath outstanding and commendable work you just reflected my opinions............ keep up the good work , you've expressed everything lucidly which was previously inexplicable for me to make others understand

Tigers_eye
February 22, 2006, 08:08 AM
Thank you very much Abherath for your all out support.

Dear mahrookh,
("Now you are talking you guys always been critised us , now we did beat you guys in next 5 years we will be beating all the test natoions for sure .)"

I have seen Abherath here longer than you have seen. Actually his entire stay in Bangla Cricket. For once he never said anything remotely close critising BD-cricket or BD-fans. So do not GENERALIZE. Respect others and you will be respected.

ekatturerBangalee
February 22, 2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks so much Aberath. It was a good match. Both team played well. Things could have been different if SriLanka had Attapatu, Vaas and Murali. However, this is indeed a big win for us. Long awaited. We will learn from our mistakes and become competitive more than ever.

GuruTM
February 22, 2006, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Cats_eye

Cats_eye, how about changing your mood now? ;)

mahrookh
February 22, 2006, 08:13 AM

Dear mahrookh,
("Now you are talking you guys always been critised us , now we did beat you guys in next 5 years we will be beating all the test natoions for sure .)"

I have seen Abherath here longer than you have seen. Actually his entire stay in Bangla Cricket. For once he never said anything remotely close critising BD-cricket or BD-fans. So do not GENERALIZE. Respect others and you will be respected.

How can I respect him as when I have seen he openned a topic on my comments ? And the main thing was I didn't say nothing wrong on that comments at all . An universal truth as it happened as well . He's been so bad to me . I never seen anyone making topic on someone eles's comments when they are saying something truth .

Rubu
February 22, 2006, 08:16 AM
Have not checked the front page yet. Doc, is it there yet?

Ejaj
February 22, 2006, 08:35 AM

Dear mahrookh,

How can I respect him as when I have seen he openned a topic on my comments ? And the main thing was I didn't say nothing wrong on that comments at all . An universal truth as it happened as well . He's been so bad to me . I never seen anyone making topic on someone eles's comments when they are saying something truth .

Thats the point!.. u really shouldnt generalize something which is more of a personal thing. He had been a true frined of Bangladesh Cricket. He had been decent enough to post an article of apraisal for Bangladesh Team when it is his own team that lost to BD. So.. my friend, please be respectful to others. I actually never found any post from him which would prove that he is known only to criticize BD team. So.. chill out. If its personal, U can alaways use ur u2u messeging. :)

mahrookh
February 22, 2006, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Ejaj

Dear mahrookh,

Thats the point!.. u really shouldnt generalize something which is more of a personal thing. He had been a true frined of Bangladesh Cricket. He had been decent enough to post an article of apraisal for Bangladesh Team when it is his own team that lost to BD. So.. my friend, please be respectful to others. I actually never found any post from him which would prove that he is known only to criticize BD team. So.. chill out. If its personal, U can alaways use ur u2u messeging. :)

I don't have any problem with that but in few days back after Australia lost to Srilanka . He openned a topic on my comments . Just for the info ; I didn't say a single thing wrong there at all . As Srilanka lost to Australia very badly in last 2 matches they played with them .

To me : It's a big time criticising for someone comments when the comments was the universal truth .

If doesn't know how to respect us then why should we ?

That's the whole story :)

thebest
February 22, 2006, 08:41 AM
Dear mahrookh,
I found you post more offensive than abhi. Abhi is or true friend. Is not u defending Ponting's deregotory comments againest Bangladesh? While abhi defended us againest those comments, againest the complacency of SL. So just shut up and let us enjoy the win gracefully. Learn how to lose gracefully from Abhi

Ejaj
February 22, 2006, 08:44 AM
Well.. mahrookh.. As far as I remember, U were supporting Australia in that thread.. and Correct me, anyone, u looked to be a very hardcore Aussie fan. So.. It was between Aus and Srilanka and U two had your issue. But, if its about Bd and Srilanka.. then, i guess, I still dont find issue against Him.

Perdon me if I am wrong...

Ejaj
February 22, 2006, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by thebest
Dear mahrookh,
I found you post more offensive than abhi. Abhi is or true friend. Is not u defending Ponting's deregotory comments againest Bangladesh? While abhi defended us againest those comments, againest the complacency of SL. So just shut up and let us enjoy the win gracefully. Learn how to lose gracefully from Abhi

Oh !" I didnt know that.. Wont that makes u (mahrookh) more anti BD cricket than abherath!!

Spitfire_x86
February 22, 2006, 08:47 AM
abherath, thanks for your appreciation.

In message boards, you're bound to see stupid comments from time to time. Ignoring these stupid posts is the best reply.

fwullah
February 22, 2006, 08:48 AM
abherath - YOU ARE A SRILANKAN? I didn't know that until now.

I have been following Sri Lankan cricket since before the start of '96 World Cup, and Sri Lanka is my most favorite Asian team right after Bangladesh.

About today's match - I thought Jayawardena did not use his available resources properly, for example, Dilshan was not bowled AT ALL, whereas I always thought that he is a better spin bowler than most of our part time spinners. It was also heartening for me to see Jayasuriya, who is the oldest player and a soon-to-be-retiring player - showing better than the other star players of the team.

But to be honest, we were determined today, in this series, to win against Sri Lanka - it was all in the way that our Bangla reporters were writing - just 'demanding' to get a win. I guess if we had lost today - it would have devastated and frustrated me along with other Bangladeshi fans a lot, especially after such a terrible performance in the last match, and also after so many horrible results against Sri Lanka over the past decade.

Mahmood
February 22, 2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks abherath, you are a true fan, a wise one I must add.

mahrookh
February 22, 2006, 08:55 AM
Yeah he's been critising the Aussies a lot after loosing the first final to the Srilankans and he openned a thread on my comments . How bad it's !!

But did I say anything wrong in that comment ? As I just said , Australia win the next 2 finals in big margin as they did .

He likes to criticise the supporters of other countires for nothing then how would he expect it from others ?

It's been very bad to someone when someone else is openning a thread on your comments when it was universal truth and it happened as well .

So , I am sorry if he still critising us then he shouldn't expect any respect from us .

Ejaj
February 22, 2006, 08:59 AM
:) May be.. since.. its quite personal thing.. I would rather ask u to drop "us" from there and insert "me" . We Banglacricket fans..dont really have any problem with him sincerely. So...please dont generalize all of us on this issue. Its only you and you only.

abu_akif
February 22, 2006, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by abherath

Learn to be graceful in victory as well as in defeat. Look at the other posts in reply here and learn from them.

abherath, ignore some of the comments from guys. .We appreciate your participation in this forum, and we know you very well..

Anyway, thank you for the comments..

oracle
February 22, 2006, 09:02 AM
thanks abherath

a beautifully written thread. You are a gentleman.

Do ignore the random foolish posts that spoil the sport.:bravo:

thebest
February 22, 2006, 09:03 AM
:) May be.. since.. its quite personal thing.. I would rather ask u to drop "us" from there and insert "me" . We Banglacricket fans..dont really have any problem with him sincerely. So...please dont generalize all of us on this issue. Its only you and you only.

I seconded

IanW
February 22, 2006, 06:07 PM
What Aberhath said.

Remember, there were no outstanding individual efforts in that win - no run-a-ball centuries, no two or three over spells with four or five wickets. Just a series of solid contributions.

Keep doing that, and like Aberhath said, the gaps between wins will get shorter and shorter.

Ian Whitchurch

Fazal
February 22, 2006, 06:19 PM
Learn to be graceful in victory as well as in defeat.
:up:

Very well written thread.

btw. lets not forget at the end of the day ... win or loss ...its just a game ...

But boy .... pardon me .... I can't resist but

:fire::fire::fire:

RazabQ
February 22, 2006, 06:31 PM
Mahrookh check your U2U mesages - Moderator

Hasib
February 22, 2006, 06:31 PM
Thank you so much you are a great friend of bangladesh cricket indeed.

truetruetiger
February 22, 2006, 07:11 PM
yep thank you aberhath you show great sportsmanship, ignore people like mahrookh. he doesn't even know the meaning of sportsmanship!

CTazim
February 22, 2006, 07:17 PM

You are absolutely Right Aberath. We appreciate your graciousness. You spoke like a true gentleman. A grateful fan appreciates your remark.

We just have to ignore some of the juvenile and over zealous remarks(although at times appropriate reprimand may be necessary).

Thanks once again. Your remarks meant a lot to the us.

Azim

imtiaz82
February 22, 2006, 07:18 PM
It was really nice to read the positive post from Aberhath, someone from the opposing team.

Seems like the whole Indian subcontinent is behind us at the moment, I saw a thread opened by a Pakistani(anakwalajin), Indian(DJ Sahastra) and now a Srilankan!!

We are truly gaining fans all over the place :great:

jabbar
February 22, 2006, 07:23 PM

Mahrookh, you need to take a chill pill. Or a bucket of ice water in which to dunk your head in. abernath has given high praise to the tigers, so don't spoil the friendly atmosphere with your vindictiveness.

BTW, abernath, thanks for the comments and may the tigers and SL have many more entertaining matches in the future, and also may the two contries remain good friends.

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 12:28 AM GMT, by jabbar.

February 22, 2006, 07:36 PM
Abherath.. Thanks a bunch. Please ignore Mahrookh.

FagunerAgun
February 22, 2006, 08:17 PM
Abherath,,,,you are a man of an extra quality....thanks for your love for BD cricket...I have seen some posts by you which are really great.

aosaif
February 22, 2006, 08:33 PM
abherath,
if you ever come to atlanta, you are invited to visit my room.
My dorm room that is!
being a college student, can't afford anything else.
but you're invited nonetheless! And i'll buy you lunch.

RazabQ
February 22, 2006, 08:48 PM
Gang, Mr. Herath's piece is now on the front-page.

http://banglacricket.com/html/article.php?item=416

Enjoy!

Shakalaka
February 22, 2006, 08:50 PM

Dear mahrookh,

I don't have any problem with that but in few days back after Australia lost to Srilanka . He openned a topic on my comments . Just for the info ; I didn't say a single thing wrong there at all . As Srilanka lost to Australia very badly in last 2 matches they played with them .

To me : It's a big time criticising for someone comments when the comments was the universal truth .

Mahrook bhai, your post reflects how much of a
"true" Bangladeshi fan you are. You have been awful with your so called critiques about bangladesh at most times. just follow your post patterns, every one can see that.

May be you already go to sleep with your dream being in NZ (by the way, thats a beautiful country) and like all other would-be could-be first or second generation immgrants try to ditch bangladesh whenever you feel or get a chance.

Appreciate when someone respect the game, regardless. Depreiciating the sportsmanship aint gonna make you look good, no matter where the hell u are from.

Haradhon
February 22, 2006, 08:57 PM
Well done Bangladesh. I wish all my friends here and the millions of jubilant Bangladeshi fans more happiness watching their stars at play.
[/i]

Thank you for the words of encouragement.

Shafin
February 22, 2006, 11:01 PM
[quote]
posted by imtiaz82
Seems like the whole Indian subcontinent is behind us at the moment, I saw a thread opened by a Pakistani(anakwalajin), Indian(DJ Sahastra) and now a Srilankan!! [quote]

Most of the people in the Indian subcontinent have a good feeling towards each other.Remember the U-19 WC?We were supporting nepal and most of us hope that someday they'll achieve Test status too,and i think thats also the attitude of many foreigners towards our team!

abherath
February 22, 2006, 11:18 PM

Dear Maharookh, this thread seems to be digressing now.

Bangladesh has recorded a great victory. Even Sri Lankan media is all praise for Bangladesh. Enjoy your victory. I wouldn't want to spoil it for you.

Next to Sri Lanka, my country, I will always support Bangladesh. There are so many similarities between Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, even what the people look like. Watching how people in Bangladesh were celebrating yesterday, I couldn't help feeling happy for Bangladesh. I know Sri Lanka will bounce back, if not against Bangladesh at least against Pakistan. So I too can feel happy for Bangladesh.

:fanflag:

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 4:20 AM GMT, by abherath.

abherath
February 22, 2006, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by fwullah
abherath - YOU ARE A SRILANKAN? I didn't know that until now.

I have been following Sri Lankan cricket since before the start of '96 World Cup, and Sri Lanka is my most favorite Asian team right after Bangladesh.

About today's match - I thought Jayawardena did not use his available resources properly, for example, Dilshan was not bowled AT ALL, whereas I always thought that he is a better spin bowler than most of our part time spinners. It was also heartening for me to see Jayasuriya, who is the oldest player and a soon-to-be-retiring player - showing better than the other star players of the team.

But to be honest, we were determined today, in this series, to win against Sri Lanka - it was all in the way that our Bangla reporters were writing - just 'demanding' to get a win. I guess if we had lost today - it would have devastated and frustrated me along with other Bangladeshi fans a lot, especially after such a terrible performance in the last match, and also after so many horrible results against Sri Lanka over the past decade.

Yes I am Sri Lankan.

Last night I was able to watch the highlights package on TV. To me, the Bangladesh team looked like India, Pakistan or South Africa getting about their business, winning the match. What was different was the entire team running out to the middle to celebrate the victory. It was understandable though, as Bangladesh is trying to prove to the world what they really are.

In my book, from this point onwards, when Bangladesh wins a match like this, that will be 'regulation' business. It shouldn't make massive newspaper banners either, as Bangladesh is up there, with the rest of the test playing nations (except Zimbabwe).

Bangladesh will have to be strong psychologically and feel that they are as good as the others and there will be frequent wins for you.

I feel that if Bangladesh can take the current momentum into the next match, they could win that too, though, as a Sri Lankan, I would want Sri Lanka to win.

Great show Bangladesh !

BostonTigers
February 22, 2006, 11:49 PM
Good Article. Indeed I believe this is the dawn of a new cricket era for Bangladesh. If we look at the last 1 year of Bangladesh cricket then we can see that we have had a few victories. Although the tour Sri Lanka did not go well for the team but every team has a bad tour.

I just hope that our cricketers take this win as a sign that they are capable of winning against any team if they work hard and I hope that from now on our team will narrow the concept of a historic win and start winning more often so that we can claim to the world and mostly to ourselves that we are worthy of our status in world cricket.

:fanflag:

BostonTigers
February 22, 2006, 11:55 PM
Aberharth,

I agree with you on the last posting. Indeed from now on the Bangladesh team should make a habit of winning and not running to the field in joy, because I believe we have gone past that stage as a team.

If they win the ODI series against Sri Lanka then running to the middle of the field is quite exceptable. Let's hope we win in Chittagong and prove our capability.

Go Tigers!!!

SillyChild
February 23, 2006, 12:14 AM

I can understand the jubilation in Bangladesh today. I remember how we celebrated in Sri Lanka when, once in a while, we beat a major team.

First of all, thank you for a lovely article.

I'm sure every Srilankan will undertand how excited and happy we are today (as you have mentioned above). This is probably the main reason why we had so much support from the sub-continental teams.

Thanks again :) Having said that, now I'll have to call my dear Srilankan mates and give them a hard time ;) :fire: :E

abherath
February 23, 2006, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by aosaif
abherath,
if you ever come to atlanta, you are invited to visit my room.
My dorm room that is!
being a college student, can't afford anything else.
but you're invited nonetheless! And i'll buy you lunch.

Thank you very much.

And thanks to all my Bangladeshi friends here for their kind remarks.

It was just a game yesterday. The relationship between Bangladesh and Sri Lanka has always been good and it will remain like that into the future too.

I have met so many people from Bangladesh who have been very good to me. And our countries are so much alike.

PoorFan
February 23, 2006, 04:12 AM
abherath, what a cool article from you. It was fantastic to read and thank's for your gentleman observation on our team.

Ak
February 23, 2006, 08:50 AM
Nice one aberath - I got big up respect for Sri Lanka - their my second favourite team after Bangladesh of course and hope they do well in the future.

dash
February 23, 2006, 09:32 AM
MAHROOKH

THESE IS NOT THE PLACE AND TIME TO SETTLE UR PERSONAL SCORE

dash
February 23, 2006, 09:32 AM
MAHROOKH

THESE IS NOT THE PLACE AND TIME TO SETTLE UR PERSONAL SCORE

Cricket46
February 23, 2006, 10:11 AM
What a nice write-up by Aberath! Such an objective writing of facts. He knows, because it seems he has seen Sri Lanka develop to a good team. I am only sorry that I am acknowledging his write-up so late.

It would be very sad if our team somehow became complacent. This Sri Lanka team has the ability to thrash us on a given day. We need to perform consistently with a win here and there. That's all I want.

sunny747
February 23, 2006, 12:07 PM
Fantastic article adherath......thanks for it......anytime in Bangkok, just call me.......

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 5:11 PM GMT, by sunny747.