PDA

View Full Version : Khaled Mashud Pilot Fined for Hiding Information

babubangla
February 22, 2006, 01:57 PM
Match referee Alan Hurst of England yesterday fined Bangladesh vice-captain and wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud 20 per cent of his match fee for hiding information about the catch off Sri Lanka opener Jehan Mubarak in their second ODI at the Shaheed Chandu Stadium.

Hurst found him guilty of not correcting the mistake when the batsman was given out although Mashud had not appealed when he gloved the ball on the bounce.

Source: Daily Star (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/02/23/d60223040629.htm)

As I saw the incident on video, Masud himself did not appeal for the caught behind and informed the incident to Habibul Bashar. So it was Bashar's call to decide what action to take. As a player Masud did the right thing by reporting the incident to his captain right away. So, I think in anyone to be fined-Habibul Bashar is the right candidate for that.

Edited on, February 22, 2006, 7:13 PM GMT, by babubangla.

Rubu
February 22, 2006, 04:01 PM
শেষ পর্যন্ত উদোর পিন্ডি বুধোর ঘাড়ে।

As prothom alo reported, SL officially complained. The hearing was held today, and masud was fined 20% of his match fee. I do not understand why though. he did not appeal and told jayasuria about it. mahabub would have been forced to buy a pair of glasses, and that would be justified.

anyway, at least we'll see pilot playing the decider.

Fazal
February 22, 2006, 04:03 PM
Please merge with this thread (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=16144)

Faceoff
February 22, 2006, 04:07 PM
His fellow team players should cover his 20% losss.

Tigers_eye
February 22, 2006, 04:08 PM
I say the umpire should be fined for not going to the 3rd umpire. If he was so sure then why this fine thing? I am speachless. Is the hearing over? The Coach should stand up in the hearing for his players. The blame should go totally on the umpire not the player when the player did the right thing going to the captain.

BD Tigers
February 22, 2006, 04:18 PM
Jak baba bacha gelo. I thought he was going to be banned for 1/2 matches. Fined is not that bad. I think BCB shud cover it as it was not Pilot's fault. He told Sumon abt the bump catch. Sumon shud have called in the spirit of the game even tho that means we loose the game. ICC shud start thinking abt fining the freaking umpires tho...

Edited on, February 22, 2006, 9:18 PM GMT, by BD Tigers.

Bat-PadTogether
February 22, 2006, 04:24 PM
Both Umpires had a tough day in Bogra!:flag:

Tigers_eye
February 22, 2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Bat&PadTogether
Both Umpires had a tough day in Bogra!:flag:
Why someone gets punished for someone else's mistake? What kind of justice is this? Umpires are the supreme authority in the match. Didn't Gilly got fined for approaching the umpire and not going through the proper channel (via captain)? ICC, match referee!!! wake up!!

This action really bothers me. Picking on someone who would not retaliate. This is like over reacting instead of finding the real problem and solving it (That is Chief Judge should make sure the umpires use the 3rd umpires).

Edited on, February 22, 2006, 9:42 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.

Bat-PadTogether
February 22, 2006, 04:56 PM
I watched the match live it was very hard for me after watching the replays that it was a bounce catch,but when you see it from the onside its shows that it happened very fast!

Mahir
February 22, 2006, 05:18 PM
I feel this fine on Mashud is ridiculous. Mashud WAS seen telling Jayasuriya the fact (the ball dropping infront) when he went on to ask Mashud about the catch. If anything, why not strip Mahbubur Rahman of his status as an ICC umpire for such an awfully umpired game.

RazabQ
February 22, 2006, 05:23 PM
যত দোষ্ নন্দ ঘোষPilot is unlucky here.

allrounder
February 22, 2006, 05:25 PM
The punishment is too light.

Why didn't Masud and Bashar step up and talk to the umpire?

Also the umpire needs some kind of punishment because he raised his finger when there was no appeal from keeper or bowler.

esteban_loaiza
February 22, 2006, 05:42 PM
We are lucky that Col. Latif is not the manager of Sri Lankan side. Otherwise Masud will be banned for the rest of the series.

mazumder
February 22, 2006, 06:10 PM
Please remind me if Rashid Latif as well as the English wicket keeper (not too sure about this one) got fined for hiding information in their match against Bangladesh. Regardless, it is not the player's responsibility to correct the umpire's mistake. Even if he does it, thats his display of sportsmanship, but he is not obligated to do so. Therefore, I don't understand the whole justification behind fining pilot.

gravitY
February 22, 2006, 06:23 PM
I'd say either Bashar or Pilot could go to the umpire and explain the situation. That would have been much better and fair.

Bad example, not to be repeated.

and of course umpires had a bad day, but I dont blame them, they're not as experienced as many other umpires. I remember Devid Shephard sayin, "it's a thankless job."

mshakir56
February 22, 2006, 06:25 PM
This decision by ICC is like shooting off target. Shooting off target means that the bullet will cause distruction, but the distruction will have no effect on the actual target.

jabbar
February 22, 2006, 07:40 PM
Again, this issue comes up - sheesh!!

In this situation, I think that if no one appeals a contentious situation, then it is not out. However, the umpire seemed certain that the catch was straightforward (in which case he needs toi get his eyes checked) so he just raised his finger as a formality.

On the other hand, perhaps Mahsud behaved very matter-of-fact so as to give the impression that the catch was a regulation catch. I am not sure if the bowler appealed, but if he didn't, then this would reinforce the impression that teh catch was `regulation'. However, the fact that Mashud consulted Bashar should have given it away to the umpire, in which case he is guilty of ignorance (not to mention, bad eyesight!)

My conclusion: The umpire(s) are to blame here. Rahman firstly did not pick up that the catch was contentious, and the square leg umpire is also as much to blame as he arguably has the better view, and subsequently neither umpire consulted the 3rd umpire. The whole incident was a shambles and showed how incompetent these umpires are.

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 12:41 AM GMT, by jabbar.

Shafin
February 22, 2006, 11:01 PM
Did any of you saw the match before blaming basher?
After Masud consulted Basher he went to the umpires and informed them,then the umpires had a discussion and held the desition,so if its fault of someone,its the u,pire,not masud or basher.

Asif
February 23, 2006, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by esteban_loaiza
Otherwise Masud will be banned for the rest of the series.

Mad or what... come to senses man... it wasn't his fault at all... he was rather startled by the umpires decission... banning our wicketkeeper for the rest of the series is the most ridiculos opinion I have ever heard.

Apart from that what about the lbw decissions were given against us?? Who is the guilty here??? UMPIRES

At the end of the day, I am releived that bad decission has gone on our way more than that of srilanka... therefore no one who can question obout our win being unfair... we suffered more than srilanka from bad umpiring decission,

BostonTigers
February 23, 2006, 12:10 AM
Bashar should have taken a stronger stand. After Pilot informed him of the incident, Bashar should have consulted with the umpires and then called the batsman back. That would have truly been the class act.

However what is done is done. We won and things like these happen all the time.

abherath
February 23, 2006, 01:00 AM
From the replays, I felt that Pilot not only told Bashar but also told Sanath Jayasuriya. What did they expect ? For Pilot to address the nation like the President ?

I think it was up to the umpires to take action.

This is my understanding of the incident. If I am right, it is unfair that Pilot was fined. It was like changing the pillow because you had a headache.

However, I don't know what transpired at the inquiry.

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 6:03 AM GMT, by abherath.

esteban_loaiza
February 23, 2006, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Asif
Otherwise Masud will be banned for the rest of the series.

Mad or what... come to senses man... it wasn't his fault at all... he was rather startled by the umpires decission... banning our wicketkeeper for the rest of the series is the most ridiculos opinion I have ever heard.

Apart from that what about the lbw decissions were given against us?? Who is the guilty here??? UMPIRES

At the end of the day, I am releived that bad decission has gone on our way more than that of srilanka... therefore no one who can question obout our win being unfair... we suffered more than srilanka from bad umpiring decission,

Dude, you missed the whole message. When Rashid Latif dropped and caught Kapali at the same time, our the then beloved manager demanded for Latif's suspension. And he was suspended for the ODI series. It seemed our manager was jumping and shouting too much at that time and there was no short of the support he got...... He tried to do the same thing to Geriant Jones but in vain. What a loser!

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 6:55 AM GMT, by esteban_loaiza.

ManInBlack
February 23, 2006, 02:33 AM
Exactly how much is 20% of match fee. Does anyone know what is the amount a player gets as match fee?

PoorFan
February 23, 2006, 03:41 AM
Match referee Alan Hurst of England yesterday fined Bangladesh vice-captain and wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud 20 per cent of his match fee for hiding information about the catch off Sri Lanka opener Jehan Mubarak in their second ODI at the Shaheed Chandu Stadium.
Hiding information about the catch?? He did informed Bashar according to some of us, but is Mashud allowed to notice umpire directly? If the answer is yes then that could be the case against him.

Anyway let just forget this 20% fine thing, he did his job perfect except this debatable incident, I am sure BCB will take care of his fine.

Carte Blanche
February 23, 2006, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by PoorFan
Hiding information about the catch?? He did informed Bashar according to some of us, but is Mashud allowed to notice umpire directly? If the answer is yes then that could be the case against him.

Anyway let just forget this 20% fine thing, he did his job perfect except this debatable incident, I am sure BCB will take care of his fine.

That is absolutely exactly what I thought. He should have informed the umpire. But seeing what Gilchrist did, he may have decided against it - perhaps rightly so. So yes, he is a tad unlucky in getting fined for it. I also like the idea of someone saying his teammates should cover his 20% loss, at least for the sake of a historic win.

RazabQ
February 23, 2006, 04:30 PM
Per BBC, Maharoof was fined too - for dissent.

sadi
February 23, 2006, 04:39 PM
did anyone see how bandara was behaving with umpires or it was just me? He was cursing at the umpires when the umpire didn't give one clean lbw to golla. Later next over, when bandara again appealed for a lbw, this time eventhough its not out, the umpire raised the finger.

Alomelo
February 23, 2006, 04:41 PM
We are lucky that Col. Latif is not the manager of Sri Lankan side. Otherwise Masud will be banned for the rest of the series.

agree

Lovely_cr
February 23, 2006, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by mazumder
Please remind me if Rashid Latif as well as the English wicket keeper (not too sure about this one) got fined for hiding information in their match against Bangladesh. Regardless, it is not the player's responsibility to correct the umpire's mistake. Even if he does it, thats his display of sportsmanship, but he is not obligated to do so. Therefore, I don't understand the whole justification behind fining pilot.

the fact is in England it was our own batsmen who left the crease..

pagol-chagol
February 23, 2006, 04:58 PM
Who cares about the money; its an insult to Pilot. I am surprised that nobody stood up for him. He had told Jaysuria and Bashar about it and they spoke to the umpire, right? How in the world does Pilot take a fall for that. I have even read things where people were comparing him to Rashid Latif. Utter nonsense.

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 10:22 PM GMT, by pagol-chagol.
Reason: nonsense

esteban_loaiza
February 23, 2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
Who cares about the money; its an insult to Pilot. I am surprised that nobody stood up for him. He had told Jaysuria and Bashar about it and they spoke to the umpire, right? How in the world does Pilot take a fall for that. I have even read things where people were comparing him to Rashid Latif. Utter nonesense.

If somebody tells me what you said, I'd tell him that Pilot is not a baby, he could have told the umpire directly about the catch. Sometimes it is easy for the wicket-keepers to be confused for this type of low catches as they wear gloves. But if he was not sure then he would not have told anything about it to Sumon. Something was wrong and he knew it. Match Referee did the right thing and Pilot is lucky to escape bigger punishment as our moron ex-manager already set up an example of getting opponent wicket keeper punished for that.

It's only insult to the whole nation if any players cheats and gets caught, not to the palyer. But the question of cheating is not that clear here...............

babubangla
February 23, 2006, 05:18 PM
Who cares about the money; its an insult to Pilot. I am surprised that nobody stood up for him. He had told Jaysuria and Bashar about it and they spoke to the umpire, right? How in the world does Pilot take a fall for that. I have even read things where people were comparing him to Rashid Latif. Utter nonesense.

Bangladesh team was in a hurry to get on the bus to comeback to Dhaka the same night. I guess nobody paid attention to that. Also I read in the newspaper that Sri Lankan captain did not come to the press conference because he was attending the hearing with Match Referee. But Bashar came to the conference---so it might be the case that Bashar did not accompany Masud in the hearing.

Whatever the case it is-- it is not fare to impose punishment on Masud. He did not appeal, he reported the incident to Jayasuria and Bashar. What else he could have done?? Bashar should have supported Jayasuriya’s e on-field attempt in convincing the umpire to revoke the decision.

pagol-chagol
February 23, 2006, 05:26 PM
Shouldn't a playere try to go through the captain as much as possible?

If the captain didn't tell the umpire Pilot could have defied him and then go to the umpire. But, Bashar and Jaysurya unpon Pilot's statements to them went to the umpires. Doesn't this desolve Pilot from any possible wrong doing?

Fazal
February 23, 2006, 05:36 PM
Looks like its the Umpire who should be punished (if any).
Because looks like the following things happened in sequence:

1) BD Players (excluding Pilot) appeal and umpire gave is verdict that he is out.

2) Pilot mentioned to Bashar and Jaysurya that he is not sure.

3) Looks like Bashar said to Jaysurya something like 'go ahead talk with the umpire' or something like that. But he didn't accompany with Jaysurya

4) Jaysurya upon Pilot's statements went to the umpires to change the verdict or atleast review by the 3rd umpire.

5) Umpire refused to consult with to 3rd umpire or tried to verify with Pilot.

If I need to pick a culprit I would pick in the following order

1) Umpire
2) Bashar

3) Pilot (may be)

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 10:38 PM GMT, by Fazal.

esteban_loaiza
February 23, 2006, 05:38 PM
Shouldn't a playere try to go through the captain as much as possible?

If the captain didn't tell the umpire Pilot could have defied him and then go to the umpire. But, Bashar and Jaysurya unpon Pilot's statements to them went to the umpires. Doesn't this desolve Pilot from any possible wrong doing?

As far as I know the captain does not need to go to the umpire, he can call the guy back himself. I might be wrong, but I think I have seen situation like this and captain just called the guy back and informed the umpire that he was not out and he could play............

Tigers_eye
February 23, 2006, 05:44 PM
As far as I know the captain does not need to go to the umpire, he can call the guy back himself. I might be wrong, but I think I have seen situation like this and captain just called the guy back and informed the umpire that he was not out and he could play............

Yes, that can be done. So the fault is on bashar not Pilot. Again to change any umpiring decision the Wk or the catcher can not go directly to the umpire. Gilcrist was fined for not going through the proper channel. So where is Pilot's fault?

And lastly we all saw he did not appeal. How did he hide information?

Match referee tried to protect the wrong guy (the Umpire).

pagol-chagol
February 23, 2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Cats_eye

Yes, that can be done. So the fault is on bashar not Pilot. Again to change any umpiring decision the Wk or the catcher can not go directly to the umpire. Gilcrist was fined for not going through the proper channel. So where is Pilot's fault?

And lastly we all saw he did not appeal. How did he hide information?

Match referee tried to protect the wrong guy (the Umpire).

BINGO!

Asif
February 23, 2006, 06:23 PM
Dude, you missed the whole message. When Rashid Latif dropped and caught Kapali at the same time, our the then beloved manager demanded for Latif's suspension. And he was suspended for the ODI series. It seemed our manager was jumping and shouting too much at that time and there was no short of the support he got...... He tried to do the same thing to Geriant Jones but in vain. What a loser!

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 6:55 AM GMT, by esteban_loaiza. [/quote]

Ooops....sorry, I misunderstood.

Now, I think, pilot should sue the umpires and match referee.... he did notify his captain and jayasuriya... who went and talked to the umpires. Like abherath said.... what should he have done?? Give a speech of a president??

CTazim
February 23, 2006, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by allrounder
The punishment is too light.

Why didn't Masud and Bashar step up and talk to the umpire?

Also the umpire needs some kind of punishment because he raised his finger when there was no appeal from keeper or bowler.

I TOTALLY DISAGREE!. 1) Masud did not appeal. 2) Masud talked to Bashar and Jayasuriya. Jayasuriya talked to the umpire -- But it seems it was already too late.

With respect to Rashid Latif. HE was the captain of Pakistan team and he deliberately appealed a dropped catch and that is why he was banned.

With respect to the English Wicketkeeper, I think I have stated enough during that time. The Wicketkeeper was guilty as SIN, yet The match referree, who happened to be Australian Allen Harst www.thedailystar.net/2005/06/07/d50607040336.htm let Jones off the hook.

The irony is the same match referee fined Mashud. It is about time a class action suit is filed against the bigot Allan Hurst!

Edited on, February 24, 2006, 12:56 AM GMT, by CTazim.

Dhakablues
February 23, 2006, 09:48 PM
I think it did put a dent to Mashud's reputation. I saw the game,, he didnt appeal but he joined the party of celebration. If he did tell Bashar,, Bashar shouldve immediately called back the batsman. Imran Khan did that once. And thus he is known for his supreme captancy even after 15 years of retirement.

Offcourse, Bashar was in 'everything is fair in love and war' mood and didnt know how to be a true leader ( he never was) and set examples of ethics, sportsmanship and leadership. All in all, this is the first time that I know Bangladeshi player has been fined for behavior.

MarufH
February 23, 2006, 09:56 PM
he wasnt fined for hiding information.. he was fined for helding up the play... telling jaysuriya that he didnt catch it. guys ICC is gone nuts.

akabir77
February 23, 2006, 10:20 PM
I can't understand why people r behind pilot? sorry guys when rashid/ english keeper did some thing like this we blamed them not their captains. and pilot is vc 2. The main diff with the other 2 is that pilot said something at the end. But to me he should have gone up straight away... Its v hard to ump and if the player starts to do stuff like this then where will it end. he knew it was not a catch why didn't he showed anything to the ump? I think he was let go with minimum penalty even though the english theif was let go very easly...Even in para game people will help the ump by saying whether he took it or not... And bangladesh was setting great example before this. (I remember rafiq once and lefty bowler anis once didn't ran out the batsman as they got out of the crease before they bowled and we losed both cases, never the less great example and in one case we lost by one wkt in last ball)... sad incident this is

mshakir56
February 23, 2006, 11:09 PM
What about the umpires, shouldn't they get fined for making unjustified LBW's against us.

CTazim
February 23, 2006, 11:11 PM
Not to defend any unsportsmanship behavior, there was a legitimate LBW decision against Jayasuriya when he was not even in his 50s off of Masri's bowling.. There were couple of other calls that went against Bangladesh. So, let us move on, like the other teams have move on with decision going against Bangladesh and in their respective favor.

I am not defending Mashud in any way or Bashar for that matter, I am just upset with the Aussie Referre Allan Hurst. He is simply a pathetic piece of BLOB.

esteban_loaiza
February 23, 2006, 11:13 PM
The only thing that is bothering me why the hell the umpire did not refer it to the third umpire? There was no harm in doing that!

I say it again, Pilot was lucky to escape bigger punishment as there a past example of banning players on this ground.

TheWatcher
February 24, 2006, 12:08 AM
Whether Pilot deserved any punishment is debatable, but I am not getting what Mubarak was punished for, the poor guy did not leave the field right away because Jayasuriya told him to stop while he verified the matter with the umpire. By no means he showed any dissent to the umpire. If you want to talk about the spirit of the game, Mahbubur Rahman should have apologized to Mubarak after the game for making such a faulty decision.

abherath
February 24, 2006, 01:30 AM
Cricinfo says that while Pilot was fined 20% of his match fee for bringing the game into disrepute, Mubarak too was fined a whopping 25% of his match fee for showing dissent.

:)

Edited on, February 24, 2006, 6:34 AM GMT, by abherath.

Ahmed_B
February 24, 2006, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by mshakir56
What about the umpires, shouldn't they get fined for making unjustified LBW's against us.
What a strange desire!

ICC does not fine any umpire in any match for making wrong desicion... it's just taken as a part of the game. And ICC will make 'special exceptions' for Bangladesh?! :duh:
Do u know that ICC has fined Mubarak 25% of his match fees instead for complaining against Umpire's wrong desicion about his wicket? Read Here!! (http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc-media/content/story/238517.html)

BTW.... I fully support the penalty if they really claimed an unfair catch. The question is who is to blame? Bashar or Pilot?

Ahmed_B
February 24, 2006, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by TheWatcher
If you want to talk about the spirit of the game, Mahbubur Rahman should have apologized to Mubarak after the game for making such a faulty decision.
Mahbubur rahman is a very low quality umpire... thats for sure. But it's probably out of question for any ICC umpire to apologize to any player for wrong desicions. It's the ICC's duty to assure quality of umpiring ... and wrong decisions are still taken to be a part of the game. You can't complain on the field about it on the ground. Maybe this scenario will change in future.. but it has not yet.