PDA

View Full Version : For those who critisize Bashar's captaincy

aosaif
February 22, 2006, 06:32 PM
Criticism is ok. But some of you really ought to lower your voices when critisizing Bashar left right and center. I know you're thinking "aosaif is talking big now that we've won." But look at the excerpt from the Daily Star below. Mahela Jayawardene didn't even turn up to the post-match press conference......just for one loss. I mean no disrespect to Sri Lankan fans, my thoughts are directed toward Bangladeshi fans. I can understand Mahela's disappointment at this loss. But Bashar has never failed to attend any press conferences, even with defeat after defeat, saying the same thing over and over. That's strength of character. That's a leader. Just think, would you have done the same if your team kept suffering losses time after time? Bashar is a leader, make no mistake. He's not captain coz he's the best choice given the conditions, he's captain coz he deserves it.

Excerpts from the Daily Star:

"It was not an easy or pleasant task for Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar to face the press after a grand victory against Sri Lanka. Bangladesh have recorded some great victories under his leadership and undoubtedly he enjoyed those moments but the job was not at all comfortable.

That is why when the 33-year old Bangladesh skipper had expressed his hopes on Tuesday that the side would bounce back in the second game despite a heavy defeat in the first, many eyebrows were raised. Most of the doubters took his comments as customary, told time and again by the Tigers.

But in the end, Bashar had the last laugh as his team pulled off a four-wicket victory against Sri Lanka in the second game to level the series 1-1. And he appeared at the post-match briefing with a mood that he had not come here just to tell the same old story.

"Yes, I am happy that it would not be the same story I have been telling for long. Believe me I am always confident with my team because I know my boys are capable to do anything," said an ever-smiling Bashar."

AND FINALLY:
"Whatmore agreed that criticisms sometime gave his team the much-needed inspiration to come out of bad patches.

"Yes, sometimes it helps because the boys then realise that they should do something," he said.

Sri Lanka coach Tom Moody and skipper Mahela Jayawardene did not turn in the post-match briefing."

RazabQ
February 22, 2006, 06:37 PM
Great point aosif. Also, whilel, as usual, he tended towards conservatism in the field, there was some tactical nous on display in the field settings. The Mahela out was a good example. Bashar was fielding in a somewhat unorthodox position there. I also thought we protected the 3rd man region well and we hide our poorer fielders pretty well too.

And even if I was not too impressed with Nazmul's scattershot effort, I give credit to Bashar for backing his young ward. I suspect Nazmul is the pacer in the team who can bowl a slower ball and that dicated Bashar's choice of him to bowl the last over.

His batting was steady too.

In short, while his flaws remain, he is still doing a commendable job as skipper.

mshakir56
February 22, 2006, 06:47 PM
Who said Bashar's captaincy is dull? He is the guy who lead us to victory against the Aussies and now the Srilankans and he is hungry for more.

Shafin
February 22, 2006, 11:01 PM
AND FINALLY:
"Whatmore agreed that criticisms sometime gave his team the much-needed inspiration to come out of bad patches.

"Yes, sometimes it helps because the boys then realise that they should do something," he said.

তাহলে তো এই বিজয়ে আমারও অবদান আছে,আর কিছু করতে না পারি সমালোচনা তো করেছি:embaressed:

Beamer
February 23, 2006, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by RazabQ
Great point aosif. Also, whilel, as usual, he tended towards conservatism in the field, there was some tactical nous on display in the field settings. The Mahela out was a good example. Bashar was fielding in a somewhat unorthodox position there. I also thought we protected the 3rd man region well and we hide our poorer fielders pretty well too.

And even if I was not too impressed with Nazmul's scattershot effort, I give credit to Bashar for backing his young ward. I suspect Nazmul is the pacer in the team who can bowl a slower ball and that dicated Bashar's choice of him to bowl the last over.

His batting was steady too.

In short, while his flaws remain, he is still doing a commendable job as skipper.

Naz was the choice by default for the last over. Bashar didn't think Lankans would survive till the 49th over. So, he finished Rafiq and Mash and still Lanka was not all out and we had a over left.Don't fault him for being aggressive. I though it was one of Bashar's best match as a captain. He was proactive.

Shafin
February 23, 2006, 02:33 AM
Mahela is not also a good captain,at least worse than bashar,his field placing was not good,he was way too defensive when it was time to be agressive.

And wheather or not you like it,basher is our most successful captain up to date,8 of our 11 ODI wins came with him.

Shakalaka
February 23, 2006, 02:43 AM
Bashar as a captain is OK. nothing out of ordinary and sometimes that is what needed to win. But one win doesnt negate all the stupid loses we have under him.

The way he gives away wickets sometimes, makes him look the most irresponsible person in the team.

I meant, Ashraful is kid, he might not get the idea yet, but that dude is playing this game as much as i can rememeber anything about bangladesh cricket. He needs to show much more reponsibilty with his batting, especially when we were in a position like 2nd ODI.

BanCricFan
February 23, 2006, 03:32 AM
At this moment we really dont have a better choice than Bashar, so, we just have to stick with him. The fact still remains that he is not the most intelligent or strong charactered captain to grace the international arena!!

Aside his playing abilities, Khaled Mahmud was more like an international captain. His reading of the game was excellent and he had a knack of motivating and handelling players better.

Hopefully, within the next few years we will have a true dynamic captain leading and taking us to new hights! Leaders/captains are also need to be groomed and shaped beside just being "born-leaders"!

BanCricFan
February 23, 2006, 03:42 AM
Edited on, February 23, 2006, 9:41 AM GMT, by BanCricFan.

Lasker
February 23, 2006, 03:43 AM
Agree with the point Bashar is our automatic choice to lead the side, we don't have other choice left except Pilot who can't be the captain due to his misbehave during WC.

But, frankly speaking, you would also agree Bashar is not a top class captain considering using his bowlers and fielding positions or strategies.

Looks like he always goes by the strategy what DW fixed for him last night. Yesterday last over was given to Nazmul is not a bad move to me, but he shudn't have continued Nazmul to bowl that many overs in 2nd spell, he could bring up Alok or Aftab a little earlier that would help him to understand Aftab and Alok would be better choice for the middle overs on the day.

Anyway I still support Bashar to be our captain at least till next WC, but I am very much doubted about the capability of DW to be a dictator coach. I am not sure he is old enough to coach a team like us or he got his limitations. A gud coach and management team can make Bashar a world class captain.

"Chittagongbashi ready hao, rokter shad paowa bagh ashitese"

BanCricFan
February 23, 2006, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by BanCricFan
Originally posted by Shark_fin
And wheather or not you like it,basher is our most successful captain up to date,8 of our 11 ODI wins came with him.

Without taking anything away from Bashar he also has players like Mashrafee, Ashraful, Aftab, Rafique, Enamul and now, Rassel at his disposal! This squad is far more settled and talented than the ones other captains have had.

PoorFan
February 23, 2006, 05:11 AM
Sri Lanka coach Tom Moody and skipper Mahela Jayawardene did not turn in the post-match briefing.
Hmmm ... looks like we have no choice but beat Sri Lanka in final ODI to drag them in front of media.:P

Regard to Bashar captaincy, it's an old dead issue and there is nothing to be gained from this discussion, atleast not in near future.

abu_akif
February 23, 2006, 05:13 AM
As I have said before, no changes in captaincy at this moment.. the worst thing we can do to this team is to break the consitancy in leadership.. we need to keep everything in place and give stability to the team at least until the WC 2007...

mahrookh
February 23, 2006, 05:53 AM
I have always been supporting "Dave Whatmore" and "Bashar" . Look Dave Whatmore is only man for this job . He changed team spirit in a sudden from nowhere . Simply Bangladesh Cricket owes lot to him .what can't be given back .

aosaif
February 23, 2006, 05:56 AM
my point is that he keeps taking the brunt of media criticism. Whenever the team fails, he's had to face the music. But he never backed down. Never skipped any press conferences. And he always tells it like it is. If he doesn't know what the problem is with the team, then he REALLY doesn't know.

Anyways, yeh i didn't really mean for us to re-discuss his fielding tactics, etc. Yes he has areas to improve.

mahrookh
February 23, 2006, 06:01 AM
Anyway when Bangladesh will win the series in next 50 hours then noone will criticise them anymore .

If you guys still beleive we can't win then please go and support Srilanka . Why you wanna support a looser for nothing ? why why why ?

Ejaj
February 23, 2006, 10:04 AM
Sincerely, Bahsar is not the best example of captaincy for us. but. we also dont have much choice left. In fact, at the present standard of our cricket team, i believe any victory that may come on our way.. will defintiely be a collective team effort than some individual brilliant captaincy. So..Negative criticism abt bashar's captaincy isnt really a fruitful one.

Persoanlly.. i refrain for any criticism regarding captaincy of Bashar.