PDA

View Full Version : Ashraful getting over the hype finally?

Shafin
February 22, 2006, 11:33 PM
seems like he is getting matured,no longer bragging but thinking about the throwing of his wicket.If he can carry on,he can become the best batsman in the world,he is only 21 and he has all the firepower stuffed in him.The future of our cricket really depends on him and i think its the time he gets his career toa way,If he can carry well from now,he will end a tendulkar,if not,he will end a cairns or rokon.

Daily star
Mohammad Ashraful might be the highest scorer in the Bangladesh innings but he looked frustrated with the way he threw his wicket away after completing his seventh ODI fifty.

"It was an opportunity for me to stay till the end but I muffed it again by playing a wild shot. But now I am happy that at least my innings didn't go in vain. I had a brilliant partnership with Sumon bhai (Habibul Bashar) in the Cardiff match and now we shared another innings which is really fantastic for me," said the ace batsman.

thebest
February 22, 2006, 11:41 PM
oh yes. He would be a good talk show host after retirement. He always talks about how he matured after each good innings. His performance regress after that. I think he should take the lead from Aftab . let your bat do the talking not the tongue. I am so frustrated with this kid.

SillyChild
February 23, 2006, 12:28 AM
The way he and Bashar threw away their wickets yesterday, it is alarming!

mahrookh
February 23, 2006, 01:43 AM
Next Mission is to win the Series . It's not to hard . Just Look at the Srilankan's rankings in recent times :)

LG ICC Test and ODI Championships

Click here for the LG ICC Player Rankings

01 Feb 2006

Team Matches Points Rating
Australia 47 6064 129
England 42 4763 113
India 38 4219 111
Pakistan 34 3660 108
New Zealand 26 2598 100
South Africa 39 3879 99
Sri Lanka 31 2976 96
West Indies 36 2615 73
Zimbabwe 21 563 27
Bangladesh 28 146 5

Watch Srilanka is before West Indies :) So , we have a big chance now .

Source : cricinfo

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 6:48 AM GMT, by mahrookh.

shovon13
February 23, 2006, 01:46 AM
thebest, you are not looking at the situation closely enough. this time around, ash did not say he matured. in fact his statement was quite the contrary. he was disappointed with the way he was dismissed, even after playing such a good inning. he never did that before. he's able to understand that the shot he played was a rash shot, and the team needed him to continue an already brilliant inning.

fab
February 23, 2006, 02:00 AM
Ashraful needs to work on keeping up his concentration after a team mate gets out. It seems that he can rarely stay on for more than a couple of overs after Bashar gets out.

billah
February 23, 2006, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by fab
Ashraful needs to work on keeping up his concentration after a team mate gets out. It seems that he can rarely stay on for more than a couple of overs after Bashar gets out.

A solid observation.

esteban_loaiza
February 23, 2006, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Shark_fin
seems like he is getting matured,no longer bragging but thinking about the throwing of his wicket.If he can carry on,he can become the best batsman in the world,he is only 21 and he has all the firepower stuffed in him.The future of our cricket really depends on him and i think its the time he gets his career toa way,If he can carry well from now,he will end a tendulkar,if not,he will end a cairns or rokon.

Daily star
Mohammad Ashraful might be the highest scorer in the Bangladesh innings but he looked frustrated with the way he threw his wicket away after completing his seventh ODI fifty.

"It was an opportunity for me to stay till the end but I muffed it again by playing a wild shot. But now I am happy that at least my innings didn't go in vain. I had a brilliant partnership with Sumon bhai (Habibul Bashar) in the Cardiff match and now we shared another innings which is really fantastic for me," said the ace batsman.

I really want to see what you posted about Ashraful after the first ODI............................

Shafin
February 23, 2006, 02:33 AM
Shovon13
thebest, you are not looking at the situation closely enough. this time around, ash did not say he matured. in fact his statement was quite the contrary. he was disappointed with the way he was dismissed, even after playing such a good inning. he never did that before. he's able to understand that the shot he played was a rash shot, and the team needed him to continue an already brilliant inning.

And i also liked the way he reacted the way after his fifty,there was not wild celebration but simple nod of the bat and he seemed determined to carry on to the hundred.Thats what we need from him,he should not be satisfied with fifties anymore cause we all know he has the calibre to score hundred agains any bowling attack.

Ejaj
February 23, 2006, 10:07 AM
:D I doubt it very much.. he is the same old Ash.. may be he will mature when he will be 30 :D

sadi
February 23, 2006, 10:20 AM
I surely hope so... it was a great innings though... played very sensibly eventhough the way he got out kinda ruined his good work... if he can continue to build his innings like this, I am sure he will be more successful......

Mon
February 23, 2006, 12:54 PM
so his next Fifty will be after 1 year?!

pagol-chagol
February 23, 2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by thebest
oh yes. He would be a good talk show host after retirement. He always talks about how he matured after each good innings.

So true.

He'll never grow up. He is what he is and we have to accept it until we find smarter players who are at least close to his talent level.

We are stuck until then.

Don't expect anything from him.

Fazal
February 23, 2006, 01:08 PM
Ashraful getting over the hype finally?

Oh.... bacha gelo... I was expecting 3rd world war... as I misread and thought you meant Ashraful is over hyped or something.....

so...... relax folks.... no harms done......

sadi
February 23, 2006, 01:15 PM
ashraful getting overhyped? haha..... thats trouble

TheWatcher
February 23, 2006, 01:36 PM
All that Ashraful needs is that a babysitter tied to him all the time, DW should have sent Pilot, after Bashar got out, instead of Aftab.

pagol-chagol
February 23, 2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by TheWatcher
All that Ashraful needs is that a babysitter tied to him all the time, DW should have sent Pilot, after Bashar got out, instead of Aftab.

brilliant idea. He does need a baby sitter.

Can we implant the same ear phone on him that W. gets for every debate. That will work wonders for him.

esteban_loaiza
February 23, 2006, 01:48 PM

Or Ashraful can pretend injured and he can have runner whose main job will be calm him down..................

mahrookh
February 23, 2006, 01:52 PM

Great idea and we would have ended up with loosing . Looks like so many of our members here can do a better job than Dave Whatmore :)

Fazal
February 23, 2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by mahrookh
Great idea and we would have ended up with loosing . Looks like so many of our members here can do a better job than Dave Whatmore :)

Nah .... unless they want to do bottom less also?

CricTiger
February 23, 2006, 02:10 PM
Ash is the nucleus of our batting lineup. When he plays good we have a better chance to win in any given days. The sooner he understands this and plays as per the requirement the better BD team will be.

Question is How soon will he be able to understand this ???

Tigers_eye
February 23, 2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by esteban_loaiza

Or Ashraful can pretend injured and he can have runner whose main job will be calm him down..................
Better yet while he is batting there should be a big sign on the screen, "Breathe in, Breathe out; relax"

At times it seems someone has implanted a "Blonde brain" in his head.

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 7:14 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.
Reason: bold

pagol-chagol
February 23, 2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by CricTiger

Don't hold your breath. His DNA won't let him change.

Cat's eye said it right. He is blond.

fishyguy
February 23, 2006, 04:00 PM
The way people look upto Ashraful is really disconcerting.

He is one batsman in the team. When people say that when he scores runs we win that dosent speak well about the team.

I'm worried that the team may end up like West Indies who for so long were solely dependant on Lara or even India when they heavily depended on Tendulkar.

If he gets out cheaply it seems like thats the end of BD's batting.

Thetop teams have no star players. They all chip in consistantly. If one player fails on one day others make up. Thats the way it should be.

We really need to stop hero worshipping Ashraful and treat him just like any other batsman.

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 9:01 PM GMT, by fishyguy.

betaar
February 23, 2006, 05:39 PM
I think the way Ash bats is the reason for his success and his downfall.

If he survives first 2-3 overs and goes to 20, he usually tries to carry his inning to the first land mark which is 50, once he gets that he becomes vulnerable again for the next couple overs. Once he gets passed those overs and gets to 70/80, then he relishes his opprtunity to pass next land mark of 100. If he gets his 100 then next few overs again becomes very tricky.

So clearly to me, this kid has a problem focusing on a long term goal and while at crease should be told, at all time, by the other batsmen to keep his cool. Only then he should be able to succeed.

One may argue that this pattern is very common to most batsmen at their early stage, but Ash is not a nu bee anymore.

AsifTheManRahman
February 23, 2006, 10:15 PM
i wouldn't be too sure about ash becoming more consistent from now on. i'd rather wait a couple of series before passing a comment on whether he's actually learned anything yet.

having said that, i must say that i was VERY impressed by the way that he batted in the 2nd odi. that is EXACTLY how our batters should all bat. 212 was never a difficult ask - all we had to do was keep our heads cool, work the ball around and score the odd boundary every now and then. that is exactly how bashar and ashraful played, and i especially was surprised to see the change in ashraful's game - he was working the ball around even when JO was getting impatient trying to square cut everythig to the boundary!

so everything seemed to click for us on that day; even the bowling and fielding were superb. all this proves a point: we can actually beat any side any day as long as our bowlers stick to their tasks and our batters rotate the strike. it's a 50 over game - not a 25 over one, and we really don't have to go after each and every single delivery. you and i might have known this, but our players didn't seem to have grasped this all these days. now, after a victory against the aussies and one against sri lanka in similar fashion, i hope they will start understadning the importance of building an innings.

it's good to see that we are winning more regularly when chasing than we used to do before. goes to show that our batsmen are actually getting more competitive and responsible over time. i was also impressed by how much they changed their game over a day - 118/10 to a chasing victory. awesome stuff - exactly the kind of learning and application that is expected of them.

i had said in a previous post that a win against sri lanka will help us screw the kenyans. well the win has arrived; i hope we play well in the third odi as well (i am not expecting a win, and neither will i be disheartened if they fail), and have a good test series. that way, we'll have enough confidence to be able to send kenya home disappointed.

and then we can have a kangaroo fest ;)

CricTiger
February 23, 2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by pagol-chagol

Don't hold your breath. His DNA won't let him change.

Cat's eye said it right. He is blond.

I have noticed that he always fear the first ball.He has to come out from this fear.And gradually he will change.We the fan will change him by our support.

CricTiger
February 23, 2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Mon
so his next Fifty will be after 1 year?!

Can we wait that long for another win ??

CTazim
February 23, 2006, 10:47 PM
Ash is the nucleus of our batting lineup. When he plays good we have a better chance to win in any given days. The sooner he understands this and plays as per the requirement the better BD team will be.

There are many factors in winning in an ODI.
as you have very little room for error.

1. It is important NOT to throw away your wicket at the same time it is important to see have a decent strike rate.

2. It is important to know how to rotate strike.

What I fear is BD has to play a wounded Lion- So it better come with a lethal combination. With respect to Ash he has to play his natural game minus the impulse.

Bashar needs to Not expose his vulnerability to the bowlers. vis a vis. his tendency to pull short ball. All a bowler has to do is give him a bit variation in pace and he is gone. Bashar needs to read that better than the bowler reading him.

crazy2cric
February 23, 2006, 11:13 PM
It is funny that Ashraful compire himself as tendulkar. Yaa anyone can do it, but it is harder to prove it. ashraful is one of the back bone of our team no doubt about it, but having too much confidence on himself could hamper his career. None of the BD batsman have shown their consistancy performance yet. One day they make 50s next time they keep their failing record longer. Yes Ashraful have shown some kind of maturity at the 2nd ODI vs SL. I hope he will do that same thing on the next one. It is very clear that if the top order score some good run, it reduce the pressure upon the middle order and the lower ones. One think is sure that our top batsman hasn't improve their foot work yet. they still having the tendency to swing the bat without foot work and some silly shots. They r tallented, but every time they go to the field they kind of keep their tallent at their dressing room. I hope and pray they they will overcome their faults and win the series. Good luck tigers.

AsifTheManRahman
February 24, 2006, 12:08 AM
the interesting thing about ashraful is that whenever he scores, bangladesh makes history, or something spectacular happens.

debut 100 against sri lanka, quick 50 against zimbabwe, 158* against india that played a major role in the subsequent odi victory, 100 against australia and this 51 against sri lanka are all examples.

BappyHayat
February 24, 2006, 12:26 AM
Guys please give him few more time...he is still a kid