PDA

View Full Version : See what a win can bring us - Wasim Akram's pill for Ponting

rudro
February 22, 2006, 01:44 PM
Kudo's to the boys who made it all possible. You have to read this from Akram! DS (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/02/23/d60223040326.htm)

Recently Ricky Ponting, the Australian captain, raised questions about Bangladesh's presence in the highest level along with Zimbabwe and I must say it's rubbish. His duty is to play cricket and not to think about which teams will play at this level. Mr.

Ponting, you just keep your mouth shut and look back to what they did against you people in Cardiff last year and take a note of the latest one against Sri Lanka. And I would suggest everybody: Don't think you are going to play a warm-up game when you take on Bangladesh.

Tigers_eye
February 22, 2006, 01:53 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

AsifTheManRahman
February 22, 2006, 01:57 PM
:up: makes me proud. now it's not only us but also people from other countries - hall of famers too - that are supporting our status and speaking against the kind of bull crap that's thrown at us from time to time.

sadi
February 22, 2006, 02:19 PM
action speaks louder than word :up:

laki
February 22, 2006, 02:33 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

Hatebreed
February 22, 2006, 02:37 PM
hahahaha lmao... that's one helluva charged up comment! man now I like Wasim even more :embaressed:

:fanflag:

arafath79
February 22, 2006, 02:40 PM
But all of us should think how we can win the series ! We should not be too happy about winning only one game and losing 10 games !!! :duh:

betaar
February 22, 2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by rudro
Kudo's to the boys who made it all possible. You have to read this from Akram! DS (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/02/23/d60223040326.htm)

Recently Ricky Ponting, the Australian captain, raised questions about Bangladesh's presence in the highest level along with Zimbabwe and I must say it's rubbish. His duty is to play cricket and not to think about which teams will play at this level. Mr.

Ponting, you just keep your mouth shut and look back to what they did against you people in Cardiff last year and take a note of the latest one against Sri Lanka. And I would suggest everybody: Don't think you are going to play a warm-up game when you take on Bangladesh.

It's surely nice to hear someone like Wasim Akram to say the things he did about BD, but at the same I don't really buy it. He's a brown noser and will brown nose for his advantage. :down:

Hatebreed
February 22, 2006, 02:44 PM
If the boys maintain their current performance, team-spirit and give 20% more efforts, Insh'Allah we'll win :)

gladiator
February 22, 2006, 02:52 PM
Team Tests Won Lost Drawn Tied Win %
Australia 677 310 178 187 2 63.26
Pakistan 318 99 82 137 0 54.69
England 842 293 243 306 0 54.66
West Indies 426 149 133 143 1 52.65
South Africa 306 99 108 99 0 47.82
Sri Lanka 156 41 60 55 0 40.59
India 393 86 128 178 1 40.00
New Zealand 324 59 128 137 0 31.55
Zimbabwe 83 8 49 26 0 14.03
Bangladesh 40 1 35 4 0 2.77
ICC-XI 1 0 1 0 0 0.00

Tests Won Lost Drawn Tied
ZIMBABWE v Australia 3 0 3 0 0
v Bangladesh 8 4 1 3 0
v England 6 0 3 3 0
v India 11 2 7 2 0
v New Zealand 13 0 7 6 0
v Pakistan 14 2 8 4 0
v South Africa 7 0 6 1 0
v Sri Lanka 15 0 10 5 0
v West Indies 6 0 4 2 0
BANGLADESH v Australia 2 0 2 0 0
v England 4 0 4 0 0
v India 3 0 3 0 0
v New Zealand 4 0 4 0 0
v Pakistan 6 0 6 0 0
v South Africa 4 0 4 0 0
v Sri Lanka 5 0 5 0 0
v West Indies 4 0 3 1 0
v Zimbabwe 8 1 4 3 0

I think pointng got a point. Zimbawe has only won 4 out of 76 matches(excuding bangladesh). What is the pont of playing a test match when you know the result already. Zimbawe should not be up there. and bangladeshs only win comes against zimb.

I think there should be a 2nd tier tests as well where we can play the A teams of all countries as well as zm and bd. and the team that plays exceptionally well should get a chance to play with the bg boys.

Cus wuts the pont of playing tests for 5 days and loosing all the time.

Mav
February 22, 2006, 02:56 PM
I could go homo for wasim akram, on any given day.

shovon13
February 22, 2006, 03:04 PM
hey gladiator....there is a LOT LOT LOT more to the story than just the mere stats you posted. trust me on this.

so please dont pass your judgment before having full comprehension of the situation.

p.s. HAHAHAHA mav...why u coming out of the closet? lol joking. that was funny though.

Edited on, February 22, 2006, 8:04 PM GMT, by shovon13.

BanglaCool
February 22, 2006, 03:45 PM
gladiator - we don't buy your argument.
We have not become fans to support a 2nd class team.
We want to be champs and that's our goal.

prasad
February 22, 2006, 03:52 PM
no way ,icc is stripping bd off its test status.a country with 150 million and a good cricketing infrastructure .......u guys r unneccessarliy getting worried.

gladiator
February 22, 2006, 03:59 PM
sporting is one thng and i am all for them in one days. But now a days cricket has become an aggressive game and ts not easy to play so much cricket a year.
I can understand this from the viewpoint of a bangladeshi supporter, but do big teams really wanna play 5 day matches against bd or zm.
Just ask your self, do u want to see the BD vs maldives, sudan, lthuana matches. Probabally not, same is the case for bg teams.

FagunerAgun
February 22, 2006, 04:12 PM
"Recently Ricky Ponting, the Australian captain, raised questions about Bangladesh's presence in the highest level along with Zimbabwe and I must say it's rubbish. His duty is to play cricket and not to think about which teams will play at this level. Mr.

Ponting, you just keep your mouth shut and look back to what they did against you people in Cardiff last year and take a note of the latest one against Sri Lanka. And I would suggest everybody: Don't think you are going to play a warm-up game when you take on Bangladesh."

Washim Akram is a big advocate of BD cricket from the beginning.

Edited on, February 22, 2006, 9:13 PM GMT, by FagunerAgun.

rudro
February 22, 2006, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by gladiator
Just ask your self, do u want to see the BD vs maldives, sudan, lthuana matches. Probabally not, same is the case for bg teams.

No, I don't want to. But I do not want to say it loud either. But I would not hesitate to "kic--ss" of someone who says it and those who supports it!

Edited on, February 22, 2006, 10:00 PM GMT, by rudro.

Bat-PadTogether
February 22, 2006, 04:51 PM
Dont worry guys we are here to stay!Wasim Akram is a good friend of Bangladesh !

fab
February 22, 2006, 07:48 PM
DS (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/02/23/d60223040326.htm)

[b]Mr. Ponting, you just keep your mouth shut
Did Wasim Akram really write this? That's rather unprofessional..

Wasim Akram is no brown noser, he's been a BD supporter from the very beginning.

Flipper
February 22, 2006, 07:56 PM
Akram's comment is as professional as Poning's. :)

akabir77
February 22, 2006, 09:13 PM
hey gladi..tor chk all the so called strong team first few year (in case of NZ it's 26 and India 20+) and u will see the same stat. So if some jack *** like u at that time posponded those teams at that time they would never become what they r today... so stay away from us ok cause we r coming to kick every ones b....:E

MarufH
February 22, 2006, 09:15 PM
very well said rudro!!!

capslock
February 22, 2006, 09:23 PM
Hmm, this article sounds like off the record comments of Wasim's translated by a DS reporter and passed of as a column, the whole article, while complimentary to Bangladesh, DOES read rather unprofessionally.

Tehsin
February 22, 2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks to Wasim, I know he means well. However, all of us know that the only thing matters is our performance on the field - nothing
else matters.

IanW
February 22, 2006, 09:43 PM
Read fine to me.

Ricky started it, and it's quite possible that Australia's lack of firepower will show in Bangladesh.

Ponting's comments should have fired up Bangladesh's players to play the game of their life against Australia.

Ian Whitchurch

mahrookh
February 22, 2006, 10:13 PM
Now we will go for the series win :) Another do or die match . Winning the series against another test team . Wow what a feeling :)

CricTiger
February 22, 2006, 10:21 PM
Nothing surprising .Who wants to miss the boat?

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 3:22 AM GMT, by CricTiger.

syedmahm
February 22, 2006, 11:15 PM
As usual, after the great win, I have been reading a lot of newspapers and other online news sources, those covered the match.

You guys already aware of what Mr. Ponting has mentioned about the test status of Bangladesh (Ponting queries Bangladesh Test status) (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/237538.html). Then what a pleasent reply came from our boys. Now another great cricketer, Wasim Akram, who likes to appreaciate a team like Bangladesh always; he came forward to respond Ponting (Akram Inswinger) (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/02/23/d60223040327.htm).

Thanks to all of our national heros, who gave someone like Wasim Akram a chance to down someone like Ponting.

BanglaCool
February 22, 2006, 11:21 PM
What's really disgusting is the attitude of some who doesn't want to give Bangladesh the chance, even after showing off and on promises, to climb up the rankings. It is understandable, since then the team(s) they support would be dropping down the line.

Shafin
February 22, 2006, 11:33 PM
Dont pump the baloon too much,the bubble might burst,

But i do really hope to see them watch the series.

jabbar
February 23, 2006, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Mav

mods, this remarks makes me wanna puke. do something!!

SillyChild
February 23, 2006, 12:51 AM

I think pointng got a point. Zimbawe has only won 4 out of 76 matches(excuding bangladesh). What is the pont of playing a test match when you know the result already. Zimbawe should not be up there. and bangladeshs only win comes against zimb.

You want to talk about stats? Fine. How about we pull out all the Test series that were played against Australia in 2003 (when the Tigers toured Australia) and see which teams got wrapped up in 3 days?

Hint hint: West Indies.

Oh, and shall I remind you of Multan and the West Indies tour?

Honestly, which records are you worried about being thrashed?
Highest runs by a team/individual?
Minimum runs scored by a team?

Dig the stats and you won't see Bangladesh in the receiving end in either of those records, so please get off your high horse and give Tigers the respect they deserve.

Yes, we are not in a winning spree, but we sure give the opponents a run for their money. How do you expect the Tigers to improve if they are not allowed to play against the stronger teams?

fab
February 23, 2006, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by SillyChild
Dig the stats and you won't see Bangladesh in the receiving end in either of those records, so please get off your high horse and give Tigers the respect they deserve.

Yes, we are not in a winning spree, but we sure give the opponents a run for their money.
Dig the stats and you won't see any team with the same number of disproportionate innings defeats.

And we hardly ever give any opponent a run for their money in Tests.

Anyhow it's a moot point; we're a Test playing nation, we're not very good at it and we'll have to tolerate criticism.

irteja
February 23, 2006, 01:26 AM
If we win the scries by 2-1 then think what happned to Punter and others like derwin....:great:

fab
February 23, 2006, 01:31 AM
ufff

Punter was talking about TESTs not ODIs. Winning ODI series' will mean jack all unless we stop the darned innings defeats in Tests.

BappyHayat
February 23, 2006, 01:39 AM
Praise on you Akram..You are a classic:D:D

IanW
February 23, 2006, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by fab
ufff

Punter was talking about TESTs not ODIs. Winning ODI series' will mean jack all unless we stop the darned innings defeats in Tests.

Fab,

Go see how good Tasmania were in there first few years in the Sheffield Shield. Seriously, it's about the same record - it sucks.

Right now, Bangladesh has cloe to a good, balanced side for Test cricket. And it has some of the best young players around.

Sure, I'd prefer Rasel and Ashraful to have a couple of years in First Class, playing Lancashire League or whatever.

But they'll get better, as they learn how to win.

Right now, they took a game off India, then a game off Australia, now a game off Sri Lanka.

Right now, they know they can beat teams.

And that will spread into test cricket.

Ian Whitchurch

fab
February 23, 2006, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by IanW
Right now, they took a game off India, then a game off Australia, now a game off Sri Lanka.

Right now, they know they can beat teams.

And that will spread into test cricket.

I'm still skeptical as the wins against India and Australia didn't really spark an improvement in their performances in Test matches (see last year's abysmal England and Sri Lanka tours).

esteban_loaiza
February 23, 2006, 02:10 AM
Best medicine for this Ponting is to beat them at least once in the coming series......... Alternatively, the spectators can shout "no ball" when Ponting bats........ considering it wont affect our bowlers but Ponting will get bothered definitely

yaseer
February 23, 2006, 03:10 AM
Nice to hear it....we needed this
:fanflag:

Originally posted by betaar
He's a brown noser and will brown nose for his advantage. :down:

Betaar is absolutely right........dont think Wasim Akram said it for Bangladesh's advantage......he said because somewhere he is beneficial of this comment...and we also getting the benefit.

Wasim Akram only support himself.....dont think he is a well-wisher of bangladesh.....he is not even a well-wisher of Pakistan i guess....:)

he was calling Mashrafe-bin-Mortaza, "Mostafa" all the time while commenting in the BD-SL 2nd match.....the way he was commenting, it was sure that he never follows BD cricket and forgets everything about BD cricket......

gladiator
February 23, 2006, 11:43 PM
Mind you BD is not a new cricketing nation, the sport was there in the pre-71 period as well.

I know u guys dont like my posts but that was just my personal view.
I would definately want BD to grow into a strong team, so we can enjoy the BD games as well and as BD supporters i expect you to fully support BD team weather they deserve a place in test arena or not.

While some may or may not agree with akram or poiting. I think all want BD to get better and lets hope they do.

fhstar
February 24, 2006, 12:01 AM
Mind you BD is not a new cricketing nation, the sport was there in the pre-71 period as well.

I know u guys dont like my posts but that was just my personal view.
I would definately want BD to grow into a strong team, so we can enjoy the BD games as well and as BD supporters i expect you to fully support BD team weather they deserve a place in test arena or not.

While some may or may not agree with akram or poiting. I think all want BD to get better and lets hope they do.

Now ... now u want to talk history here, hmmm, if you follow the support in terms of infrastructure, popularity ... pretty much most of it was uprooted ... because it was termed as a pro-pakistani sport ... until after mid-70s ... i wonder if u knew that ...

fhstar
February 24, 2006, 12:07 AM
we had to start all over again ... and it got momentun after the visit of the MCC in the late 70s ... and please gladiator, do not put the statistics over here ... cricket is more than mere stats .. while we did have some heavy defeats (rather one-sided) we did put up a fight on more than a few sessions in those tests ... too bad we weren't able to sustain the pressure ... but that's where experience by playing and sustaining the pressure against stronger opponents come in ... we as nation of 150 million people cannot fail in this regard .. there has to be talent somewhere ... we r altrady seeing glimpses of it ... the performance, as the U19 team has shown, will surely follow.

Hasib
February 24, 2006, 12:38 AM
I have one comment to make about this so called difference between Test and ODI cricket...at one time we were doing just as bad in ODIs. Well we after trashing after thrashing we are now strarting to show improvement. Inshallah the same will happen for the Tests which is why our ODI performances shouldn't be ignored when discussing our Test performance

Ahmed_B
February 24, 2006, 01:20 AM
I can understand this from the viewpoint of a bangladeshi supporter, but do big teams really wanna play 5 day matches against bd or zm...
Don't worry.. they will soon start to 'wanna play' 5 day matches with BD after facing some draws or defeates against BD... I assure you of that. Or is that what some of the big teams are afraid about? None (specially Aussies?) wants to be the first to be humilliated in test match against BD? Is that why some teams/players keeps raising voices against BD team all the time.. because they hear some bells ringing? GOOD MOVE! :up:

RazabQ
February 24, 2006, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by jabbar
Originally posted by Mav

mods, this remarks makes me wanna puke. do something!! We can't be responsible for your homophobia. If a member wants to go whatever in the privacy of his/her boudoir - well than that's his/her prerogative :) :)

joybangladesh
February 24, 2006, 04:27 AM
Mr. Gladiator u should do what wasim akram asked ponting to do - keep ur mouth shut, and see what bangladesh does in a few years. Nobody becomes a champion overnight, if bangladesh doesnt play the top teams they will never improve. Look at how many games bangladesh won since gaining ODI status and playing top teams regularly, and how many they won before that.

hkooraham
February 24, 2006, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by fab

Wasim Akram is no brown noser, he's been a BD supporter from the very beginning.

You have guts sir to write this.

Yes, this is nonsence from Akram. He himself must be sorry he said that as it comes out very silly.

Ponting-ji was asked for his views by a reporter and gave his views which he is entitled to. I too don't like what he said but he had the right to speak when he was asked a question. No one, Wasim, his grandmother or great grandmoter can ask Ponting-ji not to talk.

Wasim is trying to become a hero. Ignore him !!

hkooraham
February 24, 2006, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by jabbar
Originally posted by Mav

mods, this remarks makes me wanna puke. do something!!

Yes man. This guy thinks this is some other forum, not cricket.

Or is this what Wasim wanted from Bangladesh ? Free joy ?

Lasker
February 24, 2006, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by hkooraham
Originally posted by fab

You have guts sir to write this.

Yes, this is nonsence from Akram. He himself must be sorry he said that as it comes out very silly.

Ponting-ji was asked for his views by a reporter and gave his views which he is entitled to. I too don't like what he said but he had the right to speak when he was asked a question. No one, Wasim, his grandmother or great grandmoter can ask Ponting-ji not to talk.

Wasim is trying to become a hero. Ignore him !!

When one talks ****, then one better not talk.

fy288
February 24, 2006, 08:04 AM
Fnantastic article Wasim knows BD cricket unlike the fool ponting!!

Dav should put Pontings comments in the dressing room when we play them, that will surely fire up the tigers!!!

AUS are going to encounter a different BD especially as BD got home advantage.

winning the ODI series against Sri Lanka would also shut up ponting and his ILLEGAL bat!!!!!

:great: