PDA

View Full Version : Taposh is in and Playing the 3rd ODI

mafizraju
February 23, 2006, 09:46 AM
Taposh Baishay is being called in for the 3rd ODI to fill up for Sujon. I am guessing he will be playing instead of Nazmul....

Good Move and should have done before the second ODI.

link >> (http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=cricketNews&storyID=URI:urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060223:MTFH23 996_2006-02-23_13-46-22_DHA23522:1&archived=False)

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 2:49 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.
Reason: mod.content: link fixed.

SillyChild
February 23, 2006, 09:52 AM
Looks like a good move.

Rubu
February 23, 2006, 09:53 AM
WOW!

That is what we have been talking about here. Faruk must read this forum.

A good move. Now, replace Nazmul. But if the pitch is going to be pacer friendly, play taposh. otherwise, it has to be rana.

Ejaj
February 23, 2006, 09:53 AM
Disasterous Move !!!! he will have the hardest time of his life in 3rd ODI........ Man!!

mafizraju
February 23, 2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Ejaj
Disasterous Move !!!! he will have the hardest time of his life in 3rd ODI........ Man!!

Why do u think so? coz srilanka is going to thrash us? If that is the case they will thrash everybody.... But for some reason I have a feeling, We are winning the series. The last game we will win by even lesser margin.... But we will win

sadi
February 23, 2006, 10:06 AM
better than nazmul I guess... but Rana should play

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 3:16 PM GMT, by sadi.

Fazal
February 23, 2006, 10:13 AM
Taposh is better than Nazmul. Atleast he get wickets. But the negative side is he gives too many runs and extras. Nazmul is no longer economy bowler, the one he used to be when he first came.

But I would like to give Rana a chance one way or other either instead of nazmul/Taposh or instead of Rajin for 3rd ODI.

Some how we need to give Rana a chance to play once in a while and let him show what he have to offer to the team. Its improtant for builing up team for the next world cup.

Ejaj
February 23, 2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by mafizraju
Originally posted by Ejaj

Why do u think so? coz srilanka is going to thrash us? If that is the case they will thrash everybody.... But for some reason I have a feeling, We are winning the series. The last game we will win by even lesser margin.... But we will win

haha.. Well. I would also love to see my team win a series aganst quality test teams too.. But.. i can not be so much positive about this. The reason is definitely the past record that we have right after winning someting. Well. i am not really expecting any thrashing from Sl. but.... It happened so many times in the past that.. Bangladesh team did somethign remarkably unthinkable performance.. completely against supporter's expectation. So.. i better keep quite about the final match.. so that I dont get too disappointed.

Btw, last time I remember in this forum during bangladesh tour of England, someone , who was actually "having some feeling" thing..:D just after a good show against British combined University team. I remember vividly.,,as I laughed a lot.. as that "strange feeling" tured into constipation. :D

Anywqay.. best of luck..

Ejaj
February 23, 2006, 10:19 AM
Well. i watched his bowling(s).. in last England trip on a very seamer freindly pitch.. And.. I remember, i lost my patience and coolness after watching him bowling so pathetically..and .. it just did not happen only once .. in fact it happend in all the matches that he played. Since then, I really dont expect anyting at all from him... my only expectation is to have some in place of him in the team at any time.. Perdon me if this offended anyone. I just couldnt believe .. he couldnt even land one single ball which can beat a batsman in the entire tour !!!! Unbelievable!!!:E

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 3:26 PM GMT, by Ejaj.

deshibhai
February 23, 2006, 10:39 AM
This is a little bit like recalling Hasibul Hossain Shanto to play in our third ODI against India, after winning against them in the second ODI. Horrible move.

Ejaj
February 23, 2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by deshibhai
This is a little bit like recalling Hasibul Hossain Shanto to play in our third ODI against India, after winning against them in the second ODI. Horrible move.

100% Agreed!!........ :) Horrible!!

howzatt!
February 23, 2006, 10:45 AM
why couldn't they call shahadat hossain rajib? he was excellent is sri-lanka. i don't understand why don't they play him in ODIs?

Ahmed_B
February 23, 2006, 10:46 AM
Masree-Rasel-Tapash....surely looks like a very effective pace trio to me! (ofcourse if Tapash is fully fit)

Tigers_eye
February 23, 2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by howzatt!
why couldn't they call shahadat hossain rajib? he was excellent is sri-lanka. i don't understand why don't they play him in ODIs?
Wasn't he injured right before the series?

DJ Sahastra
February 23, 2006, 10:55 AM
I haven't seen Taposh bowl since like India series, so my observation is bound to be flawed.

Here is the thing though - He seemed a true fighter whenevr he played, more like the only one in the BD team who played his heart out. Bowlingwise, the only BD bowler who had started to look better than him was Mashrafe.

How much of decline it has been for him since then, i am not too sure. Going by many a BD fans views, it seems he lost it all. I also remember the humiliation of him being left out for the lords Test - my observation then was that this kind of ignonimy can have a soul-shattering effect on a player.

rudro
February 23, 2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Fazal
Taposh is better than Nazmul. Atleast he get wickets. But the negative side is he gives too many runs and extras. Nazmul is no longer economy bowler, the one he used to be when he first came.

But I would like to give Rana a chance one way or other either instead of nazmul/Taposh or instead of Rajin for 3rd ODI.

Some how we need to give Rana a chance to play once in a while and let him show what he have to offer to the team. Its improtant for builing up team for the next world cup.

I am all for it. But it sounds like some of our BC members, particularly Beamer wrote him off already.

pagol-chagol
February 23, 2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Rubu
That is what we have been talking about here. Faruk must read this forum.

or may be he he has a some common sense. (Rajib is infured, Mahmud is retired, we don't have any other pacer to chose instead)

nyraju
February 23, 2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks to fruke that he pick taposh for third odi. he is a good boweler ,he gat wicket more than other boweler.he's also good batsman.This is good move.good luck to all the tigers. JOY BANGLA:flag:

mafizraju
February 23, 2006, 12:16 PM
Edited on, February 23, 2006, 5:17 PM GMT, by mafizraju.

al Furqaan
February 23, 2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra
I haven't seen Taposh bowl since like India series, so my observation is bound to be flawed.

Here is the thing though - He seemed a true fighter whenevr he played, more like the only one in the BD team who played his heart out. Bowlingwise, the only BD bowler who had started to look better than him was Mashrafe.

How much of decline it has been for him since then, i am not too sure. Going by many a BD fans views, it seems he lost it all. I also remember the humiliation of him being left out for the lords Test - my observation then was that this kind of ignonimy can have a soul-shattering effect on a player.

a) there is no comparison between any BD bowlers and masri. b4 the 2004 india series, i would say (with my current knowledge) that tapash was better than masri. but since that series masri has been head and shoulders above anyone (with only russel being anywhere close, then rajib). tapash takes wickets, but gives away runs and has no real movement, but works hard and is intelligent. nazmul, no comment needed. but mash, man he does everything. has pace, swings the ball, is smart, and works hard. i had started a thread a while back claiming mashrafee as better than a half dozen quicks from other test nations. the list had guys like sami, fernando, shabbir ahmed, agarkar, et al. most BC members shot it down. but today i feel no way, mash has game in and game out put up ecomical numbers. agarkar being a great ODI player, nonetheless has trouble cracking a test squad with competition from the the singhs and sreesanths.

b) tapash is our 3rd best pacer in ODIs behind mash and russel. tho it is still early in russels career. however, i think he is behind rajib as the 4th quick in tests.

c) that lords decision was terrible. i could see leaving tapash out for talha even. but anwar hossain munir??? were the selectors trippin on acid?

d) since that time, tapash has had a terrible time in ODIs. he has taken wickets, but given up 7 runs an over prolly. still he bowled well in the final match against SL last series (2-28 @ only 4 an over) .

conclusion:

tapash should replace nazmul for the 3rd ODI. however in turning conditions i would favor rana.

lets hope that tapash keeps

irteja
February 23, 2006, 12:24 PM
great news.....taposh is a good bowlear...much better that that school cricketer nazmul

i think taposh is the hero of that netwest match...he grab 3 wicket ......and ricky ponting LBW was the turni9ng point...that was a superb ball......

good luck taposh for 3 rd ODi:fanflag:

Ehsan
February 23, 2006, 01:08 PM
That is a very good move and I have been crying out loud for it. Tapash is one of the best bowler we got and I hope he proves it. In absence of Masri he lead our bowling attack. The extras and stuff he gave away I believe was the result of his injury. He is a wicket taker without a doubt and one of the very experience bowler in our side. All the best to him! :up:

FagunerAgun
February 23, 2006, 01:18 PM
"haha.. Well. I would also love to see my team win a series aganst quality test teams too.. But.. i can not be so much positive about this. The reason is definitely the past record that we have right after winning someting. Well. i am not really expecting any thrashing from Sl. but.... It happened so many times in the past that.. Bangladesh team did somethign remarkably unthinkable performance.. completely against supporter's expectation. So.. i better keep quite about the final match.. so that I dont get too disappointed."

Btw, last time I remember in this forum during bangladesh tour of England, someone , who was actually "having some feeling" thing..:D just after a good show against British combined University team. I remember vividly.,,as I laughed a lot.. as that "strange feeling" tured into constipation. :D"

I disagree bro...when we won the 3rd ODI against Zimb in 2004, we heard it a lot...but then BD won the 5th ODI and won the series. It may happen this time.:fanflag:

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 6:20 PM GMT, by FagunerAgun.

CricTiger
February 23, 2006, 01:30 PM
We thought the exclusion of Taposh from the Series was due to his Injury and lack of practice matches.Other than injury problem if for anything else Taposh was not selected then it was a disgrace for us.

I found it quite amusing that we do not have a pool of bowlers whom you can rely on if someone gets injured.And before any series we are having a hard time finding our 3rd seamer.How long we have to deal with this issue?

Anyway,I do agree for his inclusion in the first 11 and also RANA too.
Let's see how our talented selectors form the team this time?

Beamer
February 23, 2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by rudro
Originally posted by Fazal

I am all for it. But it sounds like some of our BC members, particularly Beamer wrote him off already.

Actually there is nothing to write about him. So, writing him off wasn't too hard a thing do. I am just looking at the reality here. If Rana was an offspinner, I would seriusly consider him in the squad as an effective utility player. But look at the depth chart in our SLA's. Rafiq and Enam both ahead of him for the test matches. And apparently Raj has also bypassed him as the preferred number two behind Rafiq in the one day squad. So, Rana's bowling, which was his tkt to the squad, doesn't satisfy the selectors or coach. If you are clamoring for his batting abilities, then I am sorry to say, you have been running after a mirage. My observations are based on the reality and the pool of players that are currently in the squad. On bowling alone he is the number four option after Rafiq, Enam and Raj among the four SLA's. So, he sits.

cricket_pagol
February 23, 2006, 01:34 PM
Taposh and nazmul will fight it out for the 3rd seamer position. Healthy competition is good for the team!

irteja
February 23, 2006, 01:41 PM
looks like rana is mised out in this scries....what a sad story....what else he need to do to grab a place in first 11:E

esteban_loaiza
February 23, 2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by irteja
looks like rana is mised out in this scries....what a sad story....what else he need to do to grab a place in first 11:E

It is important that we win the next match.... it is not important at all somebody misses out the first XI and it generates a sad story.... it is not primary school.... it is supposed to be professional cricket... and it really does not matter somebody's favorite(?) cricketer sits out........

SS
February 23, 2006, 02:43 PM
I don't understand because of so many SLAs Rana is out. But he contributes though. I guess being SLA went against him.

Fortuner
February 23, 2006, 02:45 PM
Why cant we call Shahadat Hossain Rajin instead of Tapash...Rajib is better than Taposh...

cracky
February 23, 2006, 03:15 PM
Shahadat Hossain Rajin? :sorry:

Originally posted by lance_klusner
Why cant we call Shahadat Hossain Rajin instead of Tapash

deshibhai
February 23, 2006, 03:18 PM
Shahadat takes Jayasuriya's wicket:
link (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/image/218949.html)

Shahadat takes Attapattu's wicket:
link (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/image/219667.html)

Shahadat takes Murali's wicket (ok, this one is not as impressive):
link (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/image/219770.html)

This, all as recently as September 2005.

He better be injured if they are recalling Taposh instead of him.

TheWatcher
February 23, 2006, 03:25 PM
Pitch curator Belal said he is trying to make wickets in Chittagong even more bouncier than wickets of Bogura. Also forcast is that there will be plenty of dew on the morning of the match. Taposh may turn out to be very handy in those situations, but I think they should also keep Rana as the sub in case Bashar loose the toss (by the law of average, he should).

pagol-chagol
February 23, 2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by TheWatcher
in case Bashar loose the toss (by the law of average, he should).

Law of average doesn't work in individual cases. Its still 50%. Even if he wins the next one, the first test will again be 50%.

So there is your only thing where you/me/us don't need to lower our expectation. ;)

pagol-chagol
February 23, 2006, 03:38 PM
How bad is Rajib's injury?

Tigers_eye
February 23, 2006, 04:16 PM
Taposh is a world record holder. Very few bowlers would want to break it. Eventually it will be broken though. Taposh fan club people: I ask, please don't read the following.

In ODI where bowlers have bowled 7 overs or more, Taposh have eclipsed everyone. 7 overs 87 runs. World Record (http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/2005/OD_TOURNEYS/NWS/SCORECARDS/BDESH_ENG_NWS_ODI4_21JUN2005.html)

All I want from him (if he plays) is not more than five extra in 10 overs. Wish him all the best.

Pundit
February 23, 2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by pagol-chagol

Law of average doesn't work in individual cases. Its still 50%. Even if he wins the next one, the first test will again be 50%.

So there is your only thing where you/me/us don't need to lower our expectation. ;)

Law of average nullifies the 50% issue. If Bashar's won most of his last tosses, its more likely that he will lose the next one.

Pundit
February 23, 2006, 04:33 PM

Law of average nullifies the 50% issue. If Bashar's won most of his last tosses, its more likely that he will lose the next one.

TheWatcher
February 23, 2006, 04:35 PM
Correction, Tapash holds no world record, because there are six bowlers who gave 90+ runs an innings. But yes, he could have broken some records if he had bowled full ten overs. Anyway, you can see that even Murali or Jayasuriya can be beaten to pulp sometime.

ODIs - Most Expensive Bowling (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/STATS/ODIS/BOWLING/ODI_BOWL_MOST_EXPENSIVE.html)

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 9:39 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.

pagol-chagol
February 23, 2006, 04:37 PM
Can someone categorize Taposh's number of good, average and bad ODI performances?

Its going to be a subjective stat based on your judgement rather than numerical.

Comparing his game by game stats with Mashrafee, since Mash is a comtemporary, would be helpful to to break it down among good, average and bad.

Thanks.

pagol-chagol
February 23, 2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Pundit

I know what point of view you are looking at this from. However, these are independent events. If Basher wins 1000 tosses in a row he still has a 50% chance of winning the next one. You can look it up in any elementary probabilty book or even on the internet.

Law of average works in a larger context. For example if there are 100 tosses. then Basher will almost surely win between 45 and 55 tosses. The larger the number is the more likely he'll drift toward 50%. It doesn't work for one single case though.

Pundit
February 23, 2006, 04:56 PM

I know what point of view you are looking at this from. However, these are independent events. If Basher wins 1000 tosses in a row he still has a 50% chance of winning the next one. You can look it up in any elementary probabilty book or even on the internet.

Law of average works in a larger context. For example if there are 100 tosses. then Basher will almost surely win between 45 and 55 tosses. The larger the number is the more likely he'll drift toward 50%. It doesn't work for one single case though.

Arnab/Orpheus or somebody...any separate thoughts. Fortunate Tapash, after all the wides, luck still favors him.

Tigers_eye
February 23, 2006, 04:58 PM
Correction, Tapash holds no world record, because there are six bowlers who gave 90+ runs an innings. But yes, he could have broken some records if he had bowled full ten overs. Anyway, you can see that even Murali or Jayasuriya can be beaten to pulp sometime.

ODIs - Most Expensive Bowling (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/STATS/ODIS/BOWLING/ODI_BOWL_MOST_EXPENSIVE.html)

The record is giving highest run per over in ODI (7 overs or more). 10 overs 90+ runs in merely 9.+ average.
7 overs 87 runs 12.4 per over is a world record.

He broke MA Suji 7 overs 81 run record (11.57 per over) Kenya v India Paarl 2001/02.

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 10:07 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.

Upal
February 23, 2006, 05:05 PM
lol, yes pagol-chagol is right about each toss being independent of the result of the previous toss.

So, I would like to pose the following question. Assuming Sumon's luck continues and we win the toss again, should BD bat or bowl? I would be in preference of bowling first again, with Tapash in the squad in place of Nazmul, and using Rajin as the super-sub after the innings changes. Also, I want the team to stay the same as the 2nd ODI, with the lone exception of Tapash coming into the squad for Nazmul. It should also be mentioned that Rajin is the ideal choice for super-sub. Even if we lose the toss and have to bat first, bringing in Rajin for his part-time spin and excellent fielding (which could save us 10-15 runs) will be a great luxury. You need to have good fielding to win these close ODI matches, and with guys like Aftab, Rajin, and Alok in the field, we are well on our way to becoming a great fielding squad.

pagol-chagol
February 23, 2006, 05:08 PM
Fortunate Tapash, after all the wides, luck still favors him.

I wish you were right, but that is not an independent event. A bowler who usually gives more wides will more likely give more wides in the next game too. Number of wides heavily depends on the bowler as well as his form, mindset, health etc.

Every coin toss is independent though.

Chances of winning three coin tosses in a row is 0.5*0.5*0.5= 0.125

However chances of winning one toss regardless of the of the last two toss's results is 0.5

rudro
February 23, 2006, 05:22 PM

With a 'fair' knowledge in statistics and probability (for which I am paid for) I find pagol-chagol's explanation most reasonable for those who had no classes in probability and/or statistics in college.

mahrookh
February 23, 2006, 06:28 PM
He should , just give him a chance . Can't forget his 3 wickets against the mighty Aussies :) . So why not ?

Sauron
February 23, 2006, 06:44 PM
Taposh is ... (let me think) .... a million times better than Nazmul.

Rana would have been best, but hey at least Nazmul won't embarrass himself - that's a positive.

Flipper
February 23, 2006, 07:05 PM
If Tapash isn't fit enough, he shouldn't play.

He has been carrying an ankle injury for quite sometime, and he was played in England despite this fact because there was no other quality pacers. Now those of you lebeling Tapash as an expensive bowler, are simply basing it on his tour to England.

- The game where he conceded 87 runs, do you guys know what Harmison conceded in that same match?

-Do you guys know that before Mashrafe, Tapash was our best bowler;

-do you guys know that in West Indies Tapash took an wicket in every 11 runs he gave?

Tapsh is going to bounce back, because he is a fighter, and he plays his heart out. For my money, Tapash is still the 2nd best Pacer in the country. Rassel, Rajib all have a long way to go.

Edited on, February 24, 2006, 12:12 AM GMT, by Flipper.

shamster
February 23, 2006, 07:44 PM
Excellent Move. Tapash Cant do any worse than Nazmul. Also Tapash adds valuable runs if needed. Will Rajin be given another chance as super sub or will it be Rana?

Asif
February 23, 2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by shamster
Will Rajin be given another chance as super sub or will it be Rana?

I think it should be rana... its ODI... not test that we have to stick to the wicket... I think rana would do just as fine as rajin when batting comes... plus we will have the added advantage of keeping an extra bowler if situation demands!

cricketboy
February 23, 2006, 10:50 PM
I hope Tapash can keep our faith in him and perform. Joy Bangla!! :up:

shaheen
February 24, 2006, 12:28 AM
My guess tomorrow combination will be the same as the last match except two changes
taposh for nazmul and rana for rajin

If it is like that then we have a very good possibility to win the series