PDA

View Full Version : A feeling of discomfort still continues to bother..

Ahmed_B
February 23, 2006, 12:23 PM
The present few days are surely among the happiest that BD cric-fans have had in their short history of success. It can be said undoubtedly that BD is on its way to become a competitive ODI team. To some extent, the team has started to satisfy the public desire for glorious wins in the ODI version and there are hopefully more of those to come.

But the same team’s performance in Test Matches still remain to be painful. BD already defeated India & Australia in ODI... yet in the accompanying Test series, they looked quite lost and innings defeats were such a common phenomenon. Since after the inspiring Pakistan/West Indies Test series, BD is sliding down the performance graph in this version of the game.

The management still doesn’t look like being able to collect a stable squad for the Test matches. IMO, these players are naturally suited for Test matches in the current squad:

Bashar
Pilot
Rajin
JO
Shahriar Nafees

And these other ones are surely talented, yet have not shown the maturity to make the team stronger in the Test Version:

Ashraful
Aftab
Tushar Imran
Kapali
Bidyut
Nafis Iqbal

Ash has a 158* and N.Iqbal has an admirable 100 against ZIM... yet they lack consistency. Since in Test matches... the amount of time spent or number balls played holds high value in addition to runs scored... BD is yet in a great disarray and looks to be out of patience whenever they enter a Test match.

I am anxious to see if their recent ODI success teaches them the value of patience and maturity resulting in improved TEST performance.

sadi
February 23, 2006, 12:28 PM
If Ash can play the way he can play, he will be one of our biggest asset in test matches... all he needs to do is to calm down and get set before he plays his shots... he shouldn't get carried away and realizes his true potential.... same thing can be said about Aftab... these two are so talented... with time, they can only get better....

TheWatcher
February 23, 2006, 12:36 PM
We can bother about all this before or during the Test series. For now, enjoy while it lasts :)

fwullah
February 23, 2006, 12:41 PM
Mark my word: Shahriar Nafees should be in the bottom list, not on the top list - he has also shown signs of immaturity in first class cricket.

Ahmed_B
February 23, 2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by TheWatcher
We can bother about all this before or during the Test series. For now, enjoy while it lasts :)
Well.. no harm in enjoying the ODI glory... but can't completely erease thoughts about the coming Test Series! :)

If we continue to lose by an Innings .... the glory of the ODI successes will fade easily. However, I do believe that performance in Test matches show the real strength of a team and improving in tests will only make us a stronger team as a whole and make us more consistant in the ODI version as well.

pagol-chagol
February 23, 2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by sadi
If Ash can play the way he can play, he will be one of our biggest asset in test matches... all he needs to do is to calm down and get set before he plays his shots... he shouldn't get carried away and realizes his true potential....

If I had $1 for every time I have read that comment in this forum I would have retired long ago.

sadi
February 23, 2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
Originally posted by sadi
If Ash can play the way he can play, he will be one of our biggest asset in test matches... all he needs to do is to calm down and get set before he plays his shots... he shouldn't get carried away and realizes his true potential....

If I had $1 for every time I have read that comment in this forum I would have retired long ago.

lol..... I know what you mean.... but don't you agree with me though?

TheWatcher
February 23, 2006, 02:30 PM
I agree with fw that S Nafees did not look impressive at all in the last two matches. Specially in the last match, he was frequently missing the line of the ball and swinging his bat far away from his body.

esteban_loaiza
February 23, 2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by TheWatcher
I agree with fw that S Nafees did not look impressive at all in the last two matches. Specially in the last match, he was frequently missing the line of the ball and swinging his bat far away from his body.

That happens when you dont have confidence. Lack of fitness is another thing. If he doesnt do that then he is pretty good, eh? So once he gets his confidence back lets see what he does. We really dont have enough information or haven't watched him long enough to draw a conclusion here. Sorry, cant mark the word.

Edited on, February 23, 2006, 7:47 PM GMT, by esteban_loaiza.

al Furqaan
February 23, 2006, 03:01 PM
this grim realization hit me also about a month or so ago:

in 2-3 years, we may very well be in the top 3 in ICC ODI rankings, yet still be number 9 in tests (i don't think ZIM will ever catch up to us, even if they become a strong team and fix all their crap). we may be able to edge WI but not the other 7.

in fact we may be contenders or even win 2011 WC, yet suffer innings defeat after innings defeat.

for some reason that spirited play from 2003-04 has left and not returned.

i am hoping that it will return for the SL test series, but i doubt it.

on the flip side, lets win this damn ODI series 2-1!!!

:great:

DJ Sahastra
February 23, 2006, 03:11 PM
In bowling, Rafique & Mashrafe are definitely Test class.

In batting, Asraful and Bashar hold promises. Sorry, but i don't see anyone as a genuine Test player yet in batting. The temperament and/or technique is missing.

Tigers_eye
February 23, 2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by fwullah
Mark my word: Shahriar Nafees should be in the bottom list, not on the top list - he has also shown signs of immaturity in first class cricket.

Youngest in the team. 20 years and 29 days for crying out loud.

Least experienced.

Too much expectation and too much negetivity. If we had a better option we would certainly entertain that. However he is our best option. Give him some time then you would not have to mark any of your words.

Mahmood
February 23, 2006, 03:17 PM
I think the performence in both games affect each other. When we beat Australia in England, the tests were already over, thus we did see the effect of ODI win.

In Sri Lanka, we sucked in both ODI and tests, so no argument there.

Against India, we lost badly in test, but Ash hit the 158 and we all saw the effect of that in ODI; we beat India.

This series, as we alredy won an ODI, we are headed for a much better (perhaps competitive) performence in tests, just relax and enjoy the show.

pagol-chagol
February 23, 2006, 03:51 PM
Mixture of Golla's temperament and Ashraful's shots = 1 test batsman.
Rafiq - 1 test bowler.
Mashrafee - 0.75 test bowler. (injured the other 0.25 times)

Shahriar Nafees will get a lot more chance to prove himself just because he is lefty and he got the leadership qualities. His fielding is killing me though.

sadi
February 23, 2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by al Furqaan
this grim realization hit me also about a month or so ago:

in 2-3 years, we may very well be in the top 3 in ICC ODI rankings, yet still be number 9 in tests (i don't think ZIM will ever catch up to us, even if they become a strong team and fix all their crap). we may be able to edge WI but not the other 7.

in fact we may be contenders or even win 2011 WC, yet suffer innings defeat after innings defeat.

for some reason that spirited play from 2003-04 has left and not returned.

i am hoping that it will return for the SL test series, but i doubt it.

on the flip side, lets win this damn ODI series 2-1!!!

:great:

well shahriar nafees is still very young and he will only get better with time. If we can be one of the top team in odi and still rank 9 in test matches, I would take it. I rather be best in something than being mediocre in everything. Our standard will improve on its own and sooner or later we will get there.

Tigers_eye
February 23, 2006, 04:43 PM
These boys are learning how to impose themselves in a match(ODI). Soon they will learn how to play like Jayasuriya (When to attack and when not to). Then it is just matter of time they will compete in Tests (be in at home or abroad). So I believe by 2011 we will be regularly challenging other nations in Test, inshallah.

Fazal
February 23, 2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
So I believe by 2011 we will be regularly challenging other nations in Test, ....

Hai re some people never learn.... some profession is not for every one.

Tigers_eye
February 23, 2006, 04:53 PM
pisoney "inshallah" ta katsen kano? Oita to safety net silo.

Ahmed_B
February 24, 2006, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra
In batting, Asraful and Bashar hold promises..
Somehow I get a feeling that Aftab might, in long run, have better averages than Ashraful.

Fazal
February 24, 2006, 02:02 AM
A feeling of discomfort still continues to bother..

Does preparation H helps? Ops may be not....

Don't worry everything will be fine.

PoorFan
February 24, 2006, 02:21 AM
Ahmed_B,

I agree with your observation, more or less it's seems like, more we getting competitive in ODI, more we getting poor in test. I wish we have Mehrab jnr or Rahim or Raqibul Hassan in the senior test team. We have to wait couple of years to have them in test team though.

I don't know why, but feel like this time we will not be thrashed in both test by Sri Lanka. Players are getting back their confidence, and may be recent U 19 team somehow inspired them as well. If not, then may be this one win took away the usual FEAR of our boys playing Sri Lanka ( I wish ).

Lasker
February 24, 2006, 02:23 AM
Here we all r talking about the players. But to me our cricket board is the main culprit behind our bad performance in test cricket. Without a proper and competitive first class domestic cricket environment you never can play better in test.

We are playing shorter version cricket for ages - domestic or international, and just recently we started getting some wins. But look at longer version, even when we got test status we dind't have any chances to play first class cricket. At last for passing few years we got national league as first class, but look at it ..how dull, dim cricket we are playing there.

Being our coach when Gordon didn't support to get us Test status, I got pissed off along with all other BD fans. But now somestimes it pops up in mind, he was probably right, we weren't ready to get the test status. Anyway luckily we got the status, but our board never bother to use the chance to flourish, they were always keen to arrange and partcipate more and more tournaments rather than arranging or giving the chances our players to play and learn real longer version cricket.

First & last, we must have a competitive and attractive first class tournament and all the test players must show their performance there to be selected in the squad. Frankly saying, I am optismistic...it has been just started...our players are getting used to and matured...we will do better!

Another blunder always we have of selecting a test team. The universal rule of a selecting a test team is 6 solid batsman, one WK and 4 regular bowlers. But our selectors would always mix up this with all so called all rounder like Mushfiqur Rahman, Chacha etc. These days the team selection is far better than before..so here we also got a positive sign of doing better though its may proceed in snail speed.

Hope we win the ODI series and play gud test cricket. Cheers~~

Ahmed_B
February 25, 2006, 02:06 PM
Well... good point Laskar. Our domestic structure is too weak to help the players improve their Test Skills. But the truth is... it will, unfortunately, remain the same for who knows how many years ahead. The players have to improve in Tests without the help of our Domestic Cricket (if it is possible!)

And now, with Masree taken out of the Test Series... our batsmen remain to be the only hope for a better show.

Without a good set of bowlers.. you can't create pressure on the opposition batting lineup. But with a good batting performance... a test matche can atleast be pushed towards a Draw.

Edited on, February 25, 2006, 7:07 PM GMT, by Ahmed_B.