PDA

View Full Version : Toss: Similar Conditions in 3rd ODI

Ahmed_B
February 24, 2006, 10:30 AM
I read somewhere about the pitch-curator's comment on the CTG pitch that it will be even a better batting track. And considering a similar overcast conditions in early morning.. it will probably be very similar to the Bogra 2nd ODI... hard to bat early in the morning but very good batting track later on.

Toss might become a factor again.. just because of the early morning dew. Team that will bat first may face some difficulty early in the morning.

Asif
February 24, 2006, 10:41 AM
well, bashar was saying he will bat first if he wins the toss although he will confirm it after seeing the pitch in the morning

If pitch remains the same.. is there any justification of batting first... isn't it bettet to bat later... try to hang on to the wickets and play big shots towards the end of the innings... we have so many big hitters... like aftab, rafiq, pilot, mashrafee and taposh

fwullah
February 24, 2006, 10:58 AM
I think the Sri Lankan spinners were not used properly last match, so it doesn't necessarily mean that batting second in the 3rd match is going to be a bit easier for us, keeping in mind that there may be early morning due on the pitch.

I think so because in the later part of the day, the pitch may become slower and lower making it difficult to bat - as the usual pitches in Bangladesh are like the rest of the subcontinent.

Actually, it depends on which teams plays better on that day - that is what counts.

sadi
February 24, 2006, 11:06 AM
pitch will definately play a big rule tomorrow... our batsman are not very good at posting totals.... plus overcast and foggy condition in the morning will make things much harder for us... I would rather give the ball to mashrafee and rassel and let them do the early damage like the last game... i don't think pitch will become slower and lower as the day progesses... its a day game and pitch should only get better.... if I was Bashar, I would have won the toss and field :cool:

Ahmed_B
February 24, 2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by sadi
our batsman are not very good at posting totals....
Are you trying to imply that BD is becoming a team that can Chase any target?! ;)

However... post-toss decision will probably be influenced by morning conditions-whether there is moist in the weather or not. If no moisture.... I see no point in bowling first. They better, in that case, start with batting and put up a good total and let SL chase! Its an universal truth that making the opposition chase is the easier way to win matches.

oracle
February 24, 2006, 12:27 PM
Ctg stadium is different from the phlegmatic MA Aziz. My take- if there is no moisture in the morning then we bat. If there is, and i guess there is then we take the risk and let Rasel and Tapash fancy their chances. I do think that Rasel will prove to be better here.

I still doubt whether we are a chasing team despite the 2 last wins..

sadi
February 24, 2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Ahmed_B
Originally posted by sadi
our batsman are not very good at posting totals....
Are you trying to imply that BD is becoming a team that can Chase any target?! ;)

Nah I wouldn't dare to say that... however I think its better if we can restrict them again within 230-230s and then go for it... if we have a specific target in mind, we tend to do well... when you bat first, you are not exactly sure how much is enough and you tend to go for acceleration at the wrong time... specially the likes of Ash or Aftab... they would start slogging from 35 overs thinking we need to have 300....

Fazal
February 24, 2006, 12:44 PM
I think they should bat first if they think that they can compile big enough score thinking that they can out-think the sri-lankan and bundle their innings.

Now I also think that they can think about bowling first thinking that they can duplicate ODI-2 result.

Now if all those thinking doesn’t work, then I think I am out of any more new ideas to think about and thereby quit any more thinking and just hope for the best.

But if basher and Co. fail to perform decently… thenI think I will be pretty mad after the game… thinking we are back to square one and start thinking all those what ifs….

And that’s the end of my thinking for now.

sadi
February 24, 2006, 12:51 PM
I think you are overthinking :P

Tigers_eye
February 24, 2006, 12:54 PM
If batting first, then the key becomes rotating and taking singles. Second is start hitting after the 40 overs if we have wickets.

Bowling first would give us an edge I believe. One can chase knowing the runrate and what they have to do.

SL batsmen are better chasing in these conditions. Against our bowling attack Jayasuriya can stay 50 overs and pace himself accordingly when chasing. But if they have to bat first they have to go for it, and thus open up chances for us.

let SL make mistakes first.

Edited on, February 24, 2006, 5:56 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.

Nur
February 24, 2006, 01:57 PM
Well... janakanthe uthlo pitch curator boleche pitch better hobe but weather forecast bole shokale moisture hobe... so...like many of u.. i also am saying... it depends on the ground situation at that time... but age to toss jituk... probability of deciding is only 50% ... :)

From the statistics...it appears that BD team is better in run chasing than putting a winning total on the board first. No, I aint sayin` BD batsmen are not dependable enuf...! THEY ARE and of course we have good enuf bowling line up to cut'em short... but BD still is little driven by emotion/hujug... who knows age batting'e neme prothom din'er moto hobe na...! batting second could be adv as BD has long tail to smack the ball around!!! ... thinking from the other end... SL is pretty good in chasing as they have numbers of batsmen who can stick around and drag it to the end...! boro score kore pressure'e felar moto team bodhoi ora na... i could be wrong though!

anyway... bashar and other decision makers must know a hell of a lot better than I ... so.. whatever they decide... my prayers will be with them!

abar amono hote pare..SL age bat kore bishal score kore boshlo..then BD batting'e giye 120 run'e all out.. (Allah forbids but happened b4) ...! well..this is a situation where we will get to know how professional and committed our BD team became...! ...lets just keep our hopes up and no matter what happens ... throw your "BRAVO" to them... they deserve it!

AsifTheManRahman
February 24, 2006, 02:35 PM
well in that case we HAVE to win the toss - our batsmen are no good against a crazy moving ball. we have to win the toss and field first.

however, if our batsmen CAN manage to see off the first couple of overs, then we have the potential to set up a fighting score; being able to do so will mean that there IS hope with our batsmen batting first and facing the moist early morning conditions. i'd say they'd do good to learn from the way that jayasuriya and sangakkara were playing earlier in the innings in the second odi. i thought that was perfect given the conditions and the quality of bowling. although they started off with a crappy run rate, they actually did reach a rate of 4 by the 15th over or so; this should prove to our batsmen that you just have to be patient, set your eyes in, and wait for the moisture to die out. there's no glory or use in going for rash shots when the ball is moving so much.

Ahmed_B
February 24, 2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Nur
From the statistics...it appears that BD team is better in run chasing than putting a winning total on the board first.

Really? :)
In all the 15 matches where BD won the toss and chose to field (http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru?sdb=team;team=BDESH;class=oditeam;filter=adva nced;opposition=0;notopposition=0;homeaway=0;conti nent=0;country=0;notcountry=0;groundid=0;season=0; startdefault=1986-03-31;start=1986-03-31;decade=0;enddefault=2006-02-22;end=2006-02-22;tourneyid=0;finals=0;daynight=0;toss=wonfield;s cheduledovers=0;scheduleddays=0;innings=0;followon =0;result=0;seriesresult=0;captainid=0;recent=;vie wtype=list;runslow=;runshigh=;wicketslow=;wicketsh igh=;ballslow=;ballshigh=;bpo=0;overslow=;overshig h=;batevent=0;conclow=;conchigh=;takenlow=;takenhi gh=;ballsbowledlow=;ballsbowledhigh=;bpobowled=;ov ersbowledlow=;oversbowledhigh=;bowlevent=0;submit= 1;.cgifields=viewtype)first.. they only won 1 match (recent ODI vs. SL)

And in all the 40 matches where BD lost the toss and filded first (http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru?sdb=team;team=BDESH;class=oditeam;filter=adva nced;opposition=0;notopposition=0;homeaway=0;conti nent=0;country=0;notcountry=0;groundid=0;season=0; startdefault=1986-03-31;start=1986-03-31;decade=0;enddefault=2006-02-22;end=2006-02-22;tourneyid=0;finals=0;daynight=0;toss=lostfield; scheduledovers=0;scheduleddays=0;innings=0;followo n=0;result=0;seriesresult=0;captainid=0;recent=;vi ewtype=list;runslow=;runshigh=;wicketslow=;wickets high=;ballslow=;ballshigh=;bpo=0;overslow=;overshi gh=;batevent=0;conclow=;conchigh=;takenlow=;takenh igh=;ballsbowledlow=;ballsbowledhigh=;bpobowled=;o versbowledlow=;oversbowledhigh=;bowlevent=0;submit =1;.cgifields=viewtype).. they only won 3 (Kenya, Jim, Aus) matches!

Thats just 4 wins among the 11 ODI wins for BD.

Edited on, February 24, 2006, 7:42 PM GMT, by Ahmed_B.

FagunerAgun
February 24, 2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
well in that case we HAVE to win the toss - our batsmen are no good against a crazy moving ball. we have to win the toss and field first.

however, if our batsmen CAN manage to see off the first couple of overs, then we have the potential to set up a fighting score; being able to do so will mean that there IS hope with our batsmen batting first and facing the moist early morning conditions. i'd say they'd do good to learn from the way that jayasuriya and sangakkara were playing earlier in the innings in the second odi. i thought that was perfect given the conditions and the quality of bowling. although they started off with a crappy run rate, they actually did reach a rate of 4 by the 15th over or so; this should prove to our batsmen that you just have to be patient, set your eyes in, and wait for the moisture to die out. there's no glory or use in going for rash shots when the ball is moving so much.

Very well stated..:great:

sar2005
February 24, 2006, 03:12 PM
Must need to win the toss.
Go Bashu go.......Make it 3 in a row :joy:

Ahmed_B
February 25, 2006, 12:25 AM
I must say... I can't at all agree with Bashar's decision about Fielding first!

-The pitch had some dampness.. but the weather was warm and clear (completely unlike the Bogra game, where play started late due to fog)... good enough to dry out the pitch within few overs.

-The early break-through that Mashrafee got were completely his own credit and the pitch had less to do with it.

-SL is batting comfortably now.. and our spinners are not getting any good help. Whereas the SL spinners may get help from it in the later part of the game.. making it hard for BD to bat.

Bashar might have just cost us the game by taking a wrong decision after winning the toss!! :mad:

Edited on, February 25, 2006, 5:28 AM GMT, by Ahmed_B.