PDA

View Full Version : Batting order discussion in terms of avg?

oracle
February 24, 2006, 04:06 PM
Batting order revised again!

New Age (http://www.newagebd.com/spt.html#1)

Bashar maintains that no 3 is his favourite position( avg 17.36). Although a cursory glance at his stats i.e batting avg. by position reveals that no. 6 is where the runs come- 42.00. Personally I would like to see him lower down tonight and at the second ODI it did make sense for him to come in at 5 and offer a sense of stability.

Let’s see, here is probable line up:

Javed Omar
Shahriar Nafees
Habibul Bashar
Ash
Aftab
Alok Kapali
Rana
Khaled Mashud
Rafique
Mortaza
Tapash

But if we look at historic batting avg. by position:

1- Javed Omar - 23.75 no discussion
2- Shahriar Nafees- 31.75 no discussion/too early to tell
3- Aftab - 36.83
4 ???? Seems like no one is really comfortable here
5- Ashraful - 55
6-Habibul Bashar-65
7- Alok- 34/Mashud 23.72
8-
9- Rana- 26.50 ( Rana has 34.00 as opener) Masri 20.00
10- Rafique 31.00 (he has batted at no. 9 about 27 times with an avg. of 10.71)
11-Tapash (36.00)

how about this line up:

1 Javed Omar
2 Shahriar Nafees
3 Aftab
4 Ash
5 Rana
6 Habibul Bashar
7 Alok
8 Mashud
9 Masri
10 Rafique
11 Tapash

Rasel as bowl sub.

Edited on, February 24, 2006, 9:09 PM GMT, by oracle.

sadi
February 24, 2006, 04:10 PM
rana coming before bashar?? hmmmmmmm...... not so sure about that..... avg can be misleading sometimes

irteja
February 24, 2006, 04:11 PM
Habibul bashar is playing at one down today:up:

Musfique
February 24, 2006, 04:11 PM
hmm, well it looks great apart from Rana's btting position, and where is rasel?

We could take Rana out picture all together and Shift everyone after that by one position, and slot Rasel in at number 11.

oracle
February 24, 2006, 04:15 PM
rana coming before bashar??

I know. I think I lost out on sleep.:rolleyes:

sar2005
February 24, 2006, 04:21 PM
good thing about this team is that we have 3 left handed batsman (SNafees, MRana, MRafiq). Including Rassel it is 4. I thought we should spread this 3 batsman around the order so that we always have a lefthanded in the creze.

It would be great if we can maintain a left handed + right handed combination.

AsifTheManRahman
February 24, 2006, 04:29 PM
i guess it depends on whether we are batting first or second. if we do bat second, aftab will, as he has indicated in both the game against australia and the one against sri lanka the other night, the best choice at number six. we need someone who can hold on to his nerves and finish it off in the end. in that case rana would probably be a good choice at number 3. he should be able to prevent a collapse, and hopefully work around the ball at the same time. we could send ashraful in at 4 and bashar in at 5 in that case. alok can come in at 7, followed by mashud.

i say we do the same if we bat first; rana can play an anchor role, and aftab can come in later. we could probably even make ash switch places with bashar, since the former seems to be quite comfortable coming in during the later overs and bashing it all over the park (i'm assuming our first 4 will see us through the first 35 overs or so - well we have no choice, do we? not being able to do that will cost us the match for sure). rana isn;t the kind of guy who will work wonders coming in late when we are batting first, but aftab is probably made of the right kind of material.

now if there's a batting collapse, all this discussion will ultimately prove to be useless.

sadi
February 24, 2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
i guess it depends on whether we are batting first or second. if we do bat second, aftab will, as he has indicated in both the game against australia and the one against sri lanka the other night, the best choice at number six. we need someone who can hold on to his nerves and finish it off in the end. in that case rana would probably be a good choice at number 3. he should be able to prevent a collapse, and hopefully work around the ball at the same time. we could send ashraful in at 4 and bashar in at 5 in that case. alok can come in at 7, followed by mashud.

i say we do the same if we bat first; rana can play an anchor role, and aftab can come in later. we could probably even make ash switch places with bashar, since the former seems to be quite comfortable coming in during the later overs and bashing it all over the park (i'm assuming our first 4 will see us through the first 35 overs or so - well we have no choice, do we? not being able to do that will cost us the match for sure). rana isn;t the kind of guy who will work wonders coming in late when we are batting first, but aftab is probably made of the right kind of material.

now if there's a batting collapse, all this discussion will ultimately prove to be useless.

thats exactly what I was thinking :up:... if there is a batting collapse or if its 45th over, rana won't give us anything special... the best way to use him is to use him up the order to prevent the collapse so that strokemakers like Aftab or Ash can go after it later...