PDA

View Full Version : My View - Why BD Lost

DJ Sahastra
February 25, 2006, 01:45 PM
1. You can't give a second chance to a player like Jayawardhane. period.

When playing SL team, players like Jayasuriya, Jayawardhane and Sangakarra are not be allowed something like another lease of life. You do that, and you have doubled your problems immediately.

2. If a bowler is expensive, he should be taken off immediately and bought back later. This is a key to any captain's tactics. You can't let a bowler go through the motions unless you have run out of better options. Taposh's career might have just been over.

3. There is no such thing as seeing off the new ball and saving wickets when chasing a target like 310. It should be scoring the runs and saving the wickets. You cannot, and i repeat CANNOT play 7 overs for 13 runs and expect to even get anywhere close to that target. Maybe with a combination of a lineup comprising the most destructive batsman from all team put together, yes, but never with the kind of batting lineup that BD has.

I was sad with the strategy of BD openers.

The first reason is the most prominent.

Edited on, February 25, 2006, 6:47 PM GMT, by DJ Sahastra.
Reason: Jayawardhane and NOT sangakarra was dropped

Spitfire_x86
February 25, 2006, 01:58 PM
Agree with all 3 reasons. However we also had some bad luck. If Aftab was not given out mistakenly, then he couldve made much better use of the second and third power play. It might have given us a chance to make up the damage done by the openers.

Edited on, February 25, 2006, 7:00 PM GMT, by Spitfire_x86.

AsifTheManRahman
February 25, 2006, 02:18 PM
i think we lost the match right when pilot dropped sangakkara (or was it jaya? either way, it did cost us a lot), and when we failed to prevent the development of partnerships over and over again. sri lanka were in deep trouble at the beginning, and had we been able to keep the pressure on, they wouldn't have piled the runs up like that. i was especially pissed about how kothakar kon loukoracchi scored that quick 50. his partnership with sangakkara was a vital one, and sending him home early would've put them in even deeper hagu.

310 is massive, and our batsmen would never have got there; but i do agree that we should've given it a shot instead of just trying to see out the early overs. 13/0 after 7 might go up to 310 after 50 if you're batting first, but not when you're batting second and the rr is mounting on you.

in conclusion, i am satisfied with the way our boys played in this series - they did a LOT better than expected. while scoring 231 was no consolation, it's still way better than getting bundled out for 100 and losing by 200. ok, maybe we'd never get bundled out within a hundred, but you get the point. i especially liked the way they learnt from their mistakes and actually bounced back after the first odi.

let's see what the test series brings us. i am not keeping my hopes high with mashrafe being rested for the first game, but then we do need him later. it's sad how all our pacers other than mashrafe are pretty ordinary.

Edited on, February 25, 2006, 7:20 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

DJ Sahastra
February 25, 2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Agree with all 3 reasons. However we also had some bad luck. If Aftab was not given out mistakenly, then he couldve made much better use of the second and third power play. It might have given us a chance to make up the damage done by the openers.

Edited on, February 25, 2006, 7:00 PM GMT, by Spitfire_x86.

I would like to know if Jayawardhane is reprimanded for claiming a false catch.

I doubt if BD batsman could have scored 310 after scoring 13 runs in first 7 overs though. 43 overs left and almost 300 runs to score - I stopped following the match at that point.

Spitfire_x86
February 25, 2006, 03:18 PM
Jayawardhane told nothing to anybody about validity of the catch, Aftab didn't show dissent either. So the matter wasn't discussed as much as the Pilot/Mubarak incident.