PDA

View Full Version : Is Utpol Shubro a better cricket writer than Rabeed Imam?

RazabQ
February 26, 2006, 06:46 PM
I say yes. Like many here, I had not been a regular visitor to the Prothom-Alo (প্রথম আলো) web page. But thanks to অর্নব and his labor of love in typing up some fabulous Cardus-like articles in Bangla, I was hooked. And now I am convinced that Utpol is the best. While RI definitely has the gift of gab and his presence on Cricinfo lends a much needed voice on behalf of the Tigers on international media, his articles lack a sense of history and perspective. Often RI's articles appear overly glowing to a cricketing pragmatist such as myself (on most other matters I am unabashed optimist). Utpol on the other hand seems to have seen it all and his writings reflect that.

Utpol's regular column on (প্রথম আলো) is called "3<sup>rd</sup>man থেকে". Read the one he wrote after the win at Bogura. If after reading it you tell me you are not moved than I would say you have no heart! :)

http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=9&Date=2006-02-23

(You have to scroll down a bit to get to the column)

sadi
February 26, 2006, 06:48 PM
utpol shuvro is the best.... no question about it

Faceoff
February 26, 2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by sadi
utpol shuvro is the best.... no question about it

I agree.

reverse_swing
February 26, 2006, 06:57 PM
Utpal started his career in Weekly Purnima(late eighties). After that Ajkerkagoj ->Bhorerkagoj -> Prothom-alo.
I had the opportunity to read most of his writings. I think he is the best from the beginning.

Edited on, February 26, 2006, 11:59 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.

akabir77
February 26, 2006, 06:59 PM
I think RI is better as i don't like 2 much dramatic word instead of writing what happend....

Edited on, February 27, 2006, 12:00 AM GMT, by akabir77.

RazabQ
February 26, 2006, 07:04 PM
akabir, I intentionally used the phrase "cricket writer" instead of "journalist". As a writer you are allowed to paint a backdrop, as a journalist, you just etch the bare lines.

Zunaid
February 26, 2006, 07:37 PM
Utpal is outstanding as a cricket writer and RI is excellent as a cricket writer. They both understand the nuances of the game. RI does have penchant for some colorful phrases but they do not cross over into the realm of hyperbole. Some of the CI writers from the subcontinent have an extreme proclivity towards peppering their write-ups at every opportunity with extravagant similes and metaphors and often fairly anachronistic turns of phrases. Perhaps it is due to our having brought up on a diet of Wodehouse, but it is annoying to read a match report frothing with hyperbole.

Morpheous
February 26, 2006, 07:49 PM
Obviously both of them are great, but they also got their own speciality and way of writing, although Rabeed Imam writes in Cricinfo but i will still give Utpola shuvro an Edge.

All the reoprt I read, obviously the horiible one is from Ronojit Bissah from Daily Janakantha

Sami
February 26, 2006, 07:54 PM
Utpol Shubhro ritimoton bagh.

Rubu
February 26, 2006, 08:09 PM
Utpal shuvro sometimes has this habbit of writing sassy love story (in terms of quantity of emotition in writing). besides, he is good.

i would not really compare US and RI. to me they both are the best. one in bangla and one in english.

ASA
February 26, 2006, 08:11 PM
I find it hard to compare the two. Mainly because they write in two different languages. Both are really good at their own levels - but I feel it is inappropriate to compare the quality of their writings. We could maybe just compare their styles.

CricTiger
February 26, 2006, 08:48 PM
In bangla Utpol Subro is the best and Rabid in English.I would not comapre them together.

SMHasan
February 26, 2006, 10:29 PM
Both of them are good but I was expecting a nice match report of 3rd one day from Utpol Shuvro. What I found was a column in the first page of Prothom-alo, I could not understand whether it was the match report. I was really eager to read the report when we all missed the match for dilmatv's nonsense!

Mahir
February 26, 2006, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Rubu
...they both are the best. one in bangla and one in english.

exactly.

Let Rabeed Imam write a Bangla piece and then compare it with Utpal Shuvro's English composition... can we really compare ? :) They both are genius! I will not try picking the better one in this case...

RazabQ
February 26, 2006, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Zunaid
Perhaps it is due to our having brought up on a diet of Wodehouse, but it is annoying to read a match report frothing with hyperbole. Z ভাই শেষ পর্যন্ত আমার line মারলেন?. Watchout, you might get CM'ed like I did for invoking Wodehouse :)

rudro
February 26, 2006, 11:28 PM
ক্রিকেট-কাব্যের যদি কেউ মহাকবি থেকে থাকেন - তবে সে আর কেউ নয় - শুভ্র। বাংলাদেশে ক্রীড়া সাংবাদিকতার ধরণ পালটে দিয়েছে এই তরুণ।

reverse_swing
February 26, 2006, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by rudro

তবে সে আর কেউ নয় - শুভ্র। বাংলাদেশে ক্রীড়া সাংবাদিকতার ধরণ পালটে দিয়েছে এই তরুণ।

উৎপল শুভ্র লেখালেখি করছেন প্রায় ১৭/১৮ বছর ধরে। উনি এখন প্রথম আলোর Sports Editor.উনাকে যদি এখনও তরুণ ভাবেন তাহলে ইমাম কি? :)

Duck
February 26, 2006, 11:56 PM
I have been reading Utpol Suvro's articles from the very begenning of the AjkerKagoj, then in VorerKagoj and prothom Alo. What I liked most is his match reports, which are not just a chronicle of events. Rather I get the real flavors and taste of the climax of the match. I feel this is also important. You will always find at least Two Artiles for a single match. One would be wrapped with match flavor (potrikar prothom patai), and the other would be match report (Kheladhular patai)! So, you have to choose which one to read!

The other important think is his close ties with our BD players. They feel like a friendly critic of them. He never cirtisizes some one without showing a solution for him. You can take a glimpse on yesterday's article in the Prothom Alo regarding TOSS and Bashar's decision to field first in the last ODI.

Utpol Shuvro is not just a writer/journalist. He is a great patronizer of our players. Remember the Mashree's misfortune when he was losing all his hope of returning in the bowling creeze due to his injuries (probably in NZ series)? Utpol Shuvro single handedly kept the candle-light for Mashree. He stood by Mashree when he was out of sight for more than a year in his budding career. This is also true for Ashraful, and Shumon. This is just more than the journalism or cricket writing. This is pure love for the cricket and country.

His knowledge of cricket amazes me too. If you follow his interviews, you will get the same essence.

To me he is part of our cricket.

Duck
February 27, 2006, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by reverse_swing

তবে সে আর কেউ নয় - শুভ্র। বাংলাদেশে ক্রীড়া সাংবাদিকতার ধরণ পালটে দিয়েছে এই তরুণ।

উৎপল শুভ্র লেখালেখি করছেন প্রায় ১৭/১৮ বছর ধরে। উনি এখন প্রথম আলোর Sports Editor.উনাকে যদি এখনও তরুণ ভাবেন তাহলে ইমাম কি? :)

I understood your point................Just adding the right silly digit: Utpol Shuvro is in Professional Journalism for 15 years. According to his last column in Prothom Alo. Murali: The Mystery. http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=9&Date=2006-02-27

reverse_swing
February 27, 2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Dak_Pion
Originally posted by reverse_swing

I understood your point................Just adding the right silly digit: Utpol Shuvro is in Professional Journalism for 15 years. According to his last column in Prothom Alo. Murali: The Mystery. http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=9&Date=2006-02-27

Well before that he was in weekly Purnima (88-90) if I can remember correctly. I think he did not mention here because of Inqilab connection. Later he joined Ajkerkagoj in 91.

Edited on, February 27, 2006, 6:06 AM GMT, by reverse_swing.

abu_akif
February 27, 2006, 03:04 AM
What a comparison??

Why we bangladeshis always have to find the best one.. what a mentality.. I always admire both.. thats enough for me..

yaseer
February 27, 2006, 03:48 AM
Utpol Shuvro in the most experienced and surely he is the best in the country.

Ahmed_B
February 27, 2006, 07:04 AM
Personally, I am a straightforward fan of Utpal Shuvro. And yes I agree with Razab bhai here that his writings possess some extra touches of history and humor that makes his writing a lot beyond just a match report or essay! :)

On the other hand... Rabeed Imam's writings have successfully done the job of upholding the image of BD senior/junior level cricket in international context... and not to mention the indepth view he provides to the outsiders. His dramatic writing style in english is often better than even many other CI writers (comparing in terms of quality).

Not sure if these two can be compared in same scale... but Utpal Shuvro will most likely gain some extra points when the reader, in both cases, is a Bangladeshi! :)

Edited on, February 27, 2006, 12:05 PM GMT, by Ahmed_B.

nayef
February 27, 2006, 07:57 AM
As a cricket writer, I believe both rank right up there with the best. however, we bangladeshis, along with all the sub-continental supporters are very passionate about our teams. thus, US's style is extremely compatible with us.
I'm a regular reader of Prothom-Alo and I read it specially during BD games because of US's column. He gives u that certain BD perspective which RI usually tries to keep to a minimum level.

When Rahul Bhattacharya writes in Cricinfo about Ganguly, he uses some flowery phrases, which often doesnt go down well with non-Indian supporters. If u think about it, US uses similar tone in his writing, but since we are all on his side, we love it! :heart:

sadi
February 27, 2006, 09:41 AM
US is the best in the business in bangla and same thing can be said about RI in English.

I love Utpal's column cuz it comes with so much emotion and he writes as if he is one of the member of the team.

I admire Rabeed a lot as he is the best we got who represents us in cricinfo and outside world.

oracle
February 27, 2006, 11:41 AM
I have met both the gentlemen and they are really great to talk to. I admire Utpal's articles a lot as you will get a more vibrant and colorful picture of the cricket team and its history( as someone mentioned here) than reading Rabeed.

But having said that, I feel Rabeed has a more real sense of the game of cricket ( even if many a times this does not come across in his articles) and this is, I think, because he has actually played cricket in the domestic scene as a former fast bowler. He knows the nitty gritty as opposed to Utpal.

Edited on, February 27, 2006, 4:42 PM GMT, by oracle.

RazabQ
February 27, 2006, 12:28 PM
Oracle - excellent point on RI. Didn't know that he had played but now that you mention it, it does make sense :)

To answer to someone's question. I'm am not trying to say one is bad and one is good. Rather, I was trying to gauge who is your favorite. RI kicks *** - well all know that :)