PDA

View Full Version : Rasel and his strike rate

oracle
February 27, 2006, 02:19 PM
Check this out.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/mb85/comp2copy.jpg
If Rasel can maintain consistency then he will prove to be a far more useful bowler in tests than ODI.

If bowling strike rate is defined for a bowler as the "average number of balls bowled per wicket taken" then can we say that as things stand Rasel is the most effective a bowler

In Test cricket,wickets are a premium, and so the likes of bowlers taking a "bunch" of wickets must be devastating to the opponents.

Looking at the stats, Muralitharan is the one to watch out for. But Fernando is also the next dangerman for BD.

I hope that the inclusion of Shahadat and Rasel proves to be a good one. They have really not played a lot. As such, difficulty in predicting the course of their bowling development.

billah
February 27, 2006, 02:35 PM
So, this is a comparison between BD & SL bowlers. Bowlers like Rassel, with so limited experience (2 innings) should not even be compared with the rest, in my opinion.

Interesting, Oracle, that you are looking forward to a good show by Shahadat & Rasel. Because, it seems, the skipper and the selectors only want the pacers to rough up the shine from the new ball for the spinners. They want the spinners to bowl the long haul. That is one argument they used to drop Aftab. Rajin's inclusion was probably also influenced by this thought, since he can bowl spin. From what I read today, they are not expecting much from the quickies at all in the test series.

I think Shahadat has much to learn here and it will be painful to see him getting hit with abandon. Rasel puts the ball in the middle, like Mashrafee, and he swings it both ways. He may get a wicket or two every time a new ball is taken. I hope he does not get carried away and jeoperdise his career for 4 wickets, like Mashrafee did.

Regardless, this strike-rate stats for both of them will look much worse at the end of the 2 tests, in my opinion.

oracle
February 27, 2006, 02:47 PM
Ok, let's bet Billah.:lol:

I think the selectors plan will backfire, that is, they expect Enamul to take a lot of wickets. But at the end of the day , all the work will be done by Rafique when it comes to spin option. I still believe Rasel will be taking wickets today. This talk about no assistance after 10 over is nonsense. They spewed out the same things when England played in MA Aziz 2 years ago.

Judging by the performance of Rasel in the ODI I am optimistic. Hence the propaganda spin with the chart;)

Edited on, February 27, 2006, 7:48 PM GMT, by oracle.
Reason: oops

betaar
February 27, 2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by billah

I think Shahadat has much to learn here and it will be painful to see him getting hit with abandon.

as far as I recall, Shahdat bowled fairly ok in SL, didn't he?

SS
February 27, 2006, 03:04 PM
I am nothing to comment
if selectors deciding going with spins(mediocore except Rafique)
against the kings of spins.
This might backfire, but what option we have?
nothing.

billah
February 27, 2006, 03:14 PM
Yes, I suppose we can call this a decent performance from Shahadat, under the circumstances, in Sri Lanka.

1st Test: 20-0-75-2

2nd Test: 20-3-108-4

He gets tail end wickets with pace, not with seam movement. He needs to improve vastly in seaming the ball.

reza_15
February 27, 2006, 04:53 PM
i expect rasel to do a better job in tests. he did a reallly good job in ODIs. just need to keep that up .