PDA

View Full Version : SL players dare/taunt/tempt Ashraful

deshibhai
February 27, 2006, 04:11 PM
According to an article in the Daily Star, when Ashraful was batting during the 3rd ODI, the SL players dared him to hit big shots to win the match for Bangladesh. For the most part, this worked in his favor, except when he tried to hit a six and instead holed out to long on.

Here is the quote:
"Sri Lankan players used to taunt me while I was batting in the one-dayers. Sometimes it worked good for me but on some occasions it did not. In the last one-day match a couple of players tempted me to play big shots and win the match, unfortunately I fell in their trap," he said.

And here is the link to the article:
link (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/02/28/d60228040226.htm)

Tigers_eye
February 27, 2006, 04:19 PM
So the question is what did he learn from it? Next time will he do it again? Looks like he knows what his parents, coach, fans and he himself wants to do. That is not getting out with the big shot. Yet when the game is on the line he listens to the SL players. Hopefully he will mature and would not fall into opponents trap again.

sadi
February 27, 2006, 04:22 PM
times and times again he proves how immature he is... atleast he could identify it.... hopefully he will come out smarter in the test series...

Fazal
February 27, 2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by sadi
times and times again he proves how immature he is... atleast he could identify it.... hopefully he will come out smarter in the test series...

I doubt it. Next time he will be out trying a big-shot (in wrong time) he will claim the umipres were taunting him to hit big shot.

aosaif
February 27, 2006, 04:40 PM
Yeh, i heard the lankans doing that. Especially Sangakkara? Do other teams do it so much? Coz I could hear that idiot clearly on the mic.

Bat-PadTogether
February 27, 2006, 04:47 PM
This Ash will never learn from his silly mistakes.How many time he threw his wicket away? Sangakara is another Pilot!

AsifTheManRahman
February 27, 2006, 04:58 PM
bujhle bujhche...eta abar eto shogorbe ghoshona korar ki ase? :P

rudro
February 27, 2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
bujhle bujhche...eta abar eto shogorbe ghoshona korar ki ase? :P For those who can't read Banglish:

বুঝলে বুঝছে, এটা আবার এত সগর্বে ঘোষণা করার কি আছে?

sadi
February 27, 2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
bujhle bujhche...eta abar eto shogorbe ghoshona korar ki ase? :P

yeah thats what I was thinking... lol... :lol:

deshibhai
February 27, 2006, 05:06 PM
oh come on guys, cut him some slack. we all know that ashraful has in the past been guilty of playing recklessly, but i think that the way he played in these ODIs is a far cry from the old reckless Ashraful. After all, when you're chasing 310, you have to go for a few risky ones. Otherwise, you run the risk of being accused of not playing positively.

Ashraful and the Bangladesh team are slowly and steadily moving forward. Sure, there will be a day here, a match there when we will see the old Bangladesh team on display. But slowly and steadily, those days are becoming fewer and the days on which the new Bangladesh is on display are becoming more frequent.

Edited on, February 27, 2006, 10:18 PM GMT, by deshibhai.

billah
February 27, 2006, 05:32 PM
Saw live how badly those SL players taunt. They say humiliating & provocating things very loudly in the ears of our batsmen. Our batsmen should object to it & immediately complaint to the ump. This complaint is 100% legitimate. Our players, specially, our min-min, putu-putu, kodu mia Bashar should stomp on this crap hard.

Pundit
February 27, 2006, 06:00 PM
I think the Srilankan's are only second to the Australians in abusing batsmen.

cricketfreak
February 27, 2006, 06:05 PM
ekdom thik kotha bolchen

mshakir56
February 27, 2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Bat&PadTogether
This Ash will never learn from his silly mistakes.How many time he threw his wicket away? Sangakara is another Pilot!
I am sorry I couldn't agree with you man, but Ashraful is the only batsman that scored two half centuries against Srilanka in this series. He is only 21 years old, and he is doing great against the Lankans. What about the other 10 players in the squad, how come they dont learn from their mistakes. Why is he the only one who has to learn.

gravitY
February 27, 2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
So the question is what did he learn from it? Next time will he do it again?

NOTHING!!! ... .YES.

:D i luv to see him hit 4 and 6 ... but hate to see him get out:mad:

wish he'd go for a TON this test and good luck.

shadhu
February 27, 2006, 07:58 PM
I think Ashraful IS learning to live up to his potential. Just as out of curiosity today, I checked his average since that 100 against the Aussies last year. It's around 32 -- way above his career average of 20! Pretty decent going.

About the sledging, its a part of the game which most sports have in some form of the other. Its up to international players to be psychologically confident enough about their own abilities to deal with it, not go crying to match referee.

jabbar
February 27, 2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by aosaif
Yeh, i heard the lankans doing that. Especially Sangakkara? Do other teams do it so much? Coz I could hear that idiot clearly on the mic.

Out of line to call Sangakkara an idiot for taunting Ash. It's totally acceptable, and expected. It is the wickey's job to do a little verbal banter behind the stumps. Perhaps Khaled Mashud should learn a thing or two from the star keeper...

Also, the good batsman are able to block most of the 'sledging' out. It's part of the game, full stop. Ash needs to learn to control his shot making abilities when patience is required, and also learn not to be so gullible.

Carte Blanche
February 27, 2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Pundit

Heh, you may actually be right. They had their blood boiling after the 2nd ODI loss. I just finished watching the highlights and immediately after the loss Mahela went straight to the umpire and was having an animated discussion. I'm kind of enjoying it though. We're still a very young team and a couple of more wins like this will start a rivalry. The day may not be very far when the subcontinent will boast its very own supreme rivalries: Ind-Pak and BS-SL.

On a brighter note, this shouldn't be a problem in the test series as Ash shouldn't have to worry about the tempo of the BD inning.

Next time Ash may want to make a funny face and say "Me no Hablas Ingles".

jabbar
February 27, 2006, 08:02 PM
NOTHING!!! ... .YES.

:D i luv to see him hit 4 and 6 ... but hate to see him get out:mad:

wish he'd go for a TON this test and good luck.

Yes, it is the great the dillemma. Entertainment or solid performances..... Perhaps Ash could strike a happy medium. I think Jayasuriya is a wonderful example of a gifted stroke maker who can control himself when the sutuation requires him to.

Zunaid
February 27, 2006, 08:08 PM
You know - if you get sledged - sledge back. C'mon man, we should be made of sterner stuff - we can't always go running to our mommas.

Orpheus
February 27, 2006, 08:26 PM
Bat diya matha fataiya de Ashraful..... Amra achi tomar shathe!

:fanflag::fanflag:

Or we should just teach ashraful to say :

"your momma" - that works too

Sanga: Good shot Ash
Ash: Your momma
SAnga: You are not holding the bat right
Ash" Yo momma"
Sanga: What's your problem
Ash "yo momma"
Sanga: "boy they gonna play 50 overs"
Ash "I gonna play yo momma"
Edited on, February 28, 2006, 1:28 AM GMT, by Orpheus.

Edited on, February 28, 2006, 1:30 AM GMT, by Orpheus.

RazabQ
February 27, 2006, 08:29 PM
I suggest starting with Rabon and Hanumanji - wait that would only work on Murali. Hmm, how about asking Sangi if the length of his name was inversely proportional to .... :) :)

Kumara Chokshanada Sangakkara = 28 letters

Ashraful Matin = 13 letters.

syedmahm
February 28, 2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Pundit

I agree. I dislike Sri Lanka just next to England and Australia.

fwullah
February 28, 2006, 11:53 AM
Comeon, it hurts to see Sri Lankan players doing all the sledgings. I was never aware of this kind of behavior by the Sri Lankan players before.

The behavior / attitude of Jaywardena also surprised me after the 2nd ODI. It gives me encouragement to think that if all our players can play on their team spirit, then it is possible for us to beat Sri Lanka even in a test match.

For example, our players did not play on their team spirit today at all. Getting set at 20s and 30s and then going out is not a good sign of team spirit. Also, scoring 16s and 17s and then going out is not a good sign of team spirit at all.

AsifTheManRahman
February 28, 2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by RazabQ
I suggest starting with Rabon and Hanumanji - wait that would only work on Murali. Hmm, how about asking Sangi if the length of his name was inversely proportional to .... :) :)

hehehe...wish our players had that kind of wit in them; unfortunately, looks like it'll never happen, given the cultural background and poor language skills :lol:

sunny747
February 28, 2006, 12:05 PM
sledging is a part of game......nothing u cant do abt it..i'm glad to hear that SL was sledging!! now teams like SL needs to taunt to defeat us?? wow.....it's an achievement guys............When last time BD was in australia, they were so friendly in the match...do u think Aussie's will behave the same now? ... i don't think so....this shows we are going do that level....

And ya, our players are too quite.....especially basher...he need to be little tough and lead his team in an aggressive way.......they need to learn some English slang and gain some personality........shobai kemon jani min min shobab ar...!!!

sadi
February 28, 2006, 12:06 PM
everyone is nice as long as they are not getting hurt... as soon as Bangladesh beat Srilankans, their real face came out.... now they are complaining in every single thing... appeal in every single ball... not good :down:

Ahmed_B
February 28, 2006, 02:19 PM
Even though everyone in this thread is complaining about it... personally, I am very happy to hear this news of sledging by the SriLankans!

You know why? Because sledging starts when there is a sense of rivalry in the air! And it's surely a great feeling when the big guys start taking you as a rival! ;)

If they start criticizing you.... it is most likely because you are doing something right! :cool:

Fazal
February 28, 2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Ahmed_B
Even though everyone in this thread is complaining about it... personally, I am very happy to hear this news of sledging by the SriLankans!

You know why? Because sledging starts when there is a sense of rivalry in the air! And it's surely a great feeling when the big guys start taking you as a rival! ;)

If they start criticizing you.... it is most likely because you are doing something right! :cool:

Good point Ahmed_B. Never thought that way.

Mr-khan
February 28, 2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by sunny747
shobai kemon jani min min shobab ar...!!!
Mushfiq bahinire aste den.Oi somoy palta Sledging kare bole dekhay dibe.

Sami
February 28, 2006, 03:07 PM
amar to gorbe matha ucha hoye jaitese... just seeing Mahela trying everything here. Bangladesh has given some food for thought to the captain of the opposing team. Ahmed_B has put it very nicely.

Ar sledging korlei rokto gorom hobe, ato putu putu hoile chole? Khello na hoi 2-3 ta risky shot, hoilo na out... no bhoi dor... amra na hoi ektu kheplam... ashraful and co ektu dukkho pailo... but ajke khelbe risky shot, next time fatai deebe... atto doraile hoi? And why complain to the umpire? Batsmen have to rise above it... aitai to khela... and notun projonmo ashtese... notun polapaan to ar bashar er kache behaviour 101 course ta nei nai. So u see... tension nai!

Bangladesh has matured as a team, You could see that in their games in this series... amar khela gula dekhe khube bhalo lagtese aibar. Really proud. Just jodi bashar bhai ektu dekhe khelto... ar top order ta powerplay gula use korte shikto taile tension ektu kom hoi!

al Furqaan
February 28, 2006, 03:09 PM
the lankans have always taunted ash...and also ash has had is success against them.

i'll be willing to bet he has his highest ODI and test averages against those punks.

Sauron
February 28, 2006, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by fwullah
It gives me encouragement to think that if all our players can play on their team spirit, then it is possible for us to beat Sri Lanka even in a test match.

WHAT!!!

Who are you? And what did you do to fwullah??

;)

6alltheway
February 28, 2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Bat&PadTogether

and yet after all this critisim, he is our best batsmen by a mile. if it wasnt for him yesterday we would be out by 200.

hkooraham
March 1, 2006, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by RazabQ
I suggest starting with Rabon and Hanumanji - wait that would only work on Murali. Hmm, how about asking Sangi if the length of his name was inversely proportional to .... :) :)...

Hi Heeeee!...Good one moderator-ji. By the way don't shout too much 'cos you got the tip missing on yours ! Hi Heeeee!

Another one...the Israelis were fighting Arabs in a desert. Both sides were taking cover behind sand dunes. It was a deadlock. Being the smart brains they were, the Israelis came up with a plan. One of them shouted "Mohamed !". All the Arabs got up as they all have that name, don't they and you react to your name ! So they all got shot.

So don't laugh at names, moderator-ji. :great:

RazabQ
March 1, 2006, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by hkooraham
So don't laugh at names, moderator-ji. :great: Eh, as long as you are doing it in good humor it's all good.

aosaif
March 1, 2006, 03:00 AM
Looks like Ash has taken up taunting the lankans. I think he's been really loud throughout the match.

PoorFan
March 1, 2006, 04:15 AM
Quote from cricbuzz

Samaraweera has complained that the grunt is too loud to bat. Shahadat Hossain utters a grunt while releasing the ball.

And Lankans are now complaining on bowlers grunt.:lol:

Edited on, March 1, 2006, 9:16 AM GMT, by PoorFan.

nannu
March 1, 2006, 06:56 AM
"But I can assure you that if I get a start and at least score 20 runs, I will make it a big one this time around. I hope you will see a different Ashraful in the Test series," he added.

do i have to say more ?