PDA

View Full Version : BD are 315 /9!What next strategywise?

oracle
February 28, 2006, 10:55 AM
315/9- What to do?

Shahadat and Enamul at crease. The problem is that the new ball was taken before close of play. I want to add , optmistically, 20 -30 runs to feel good bowling. But I also want RAsel to get some juice from the pitch, perhaps a wicket or twom from the early bowling spell. We need to gain a run advantage of at least 75 to make a challenge and build a tough total for SL to chase. My fear is that we do not have the lethality of a Malinga or Murali to threaten their innings.

sadi
February 28, 2006, 10:58 AM
I don't expect anything from the last wicket.... if they can score some runs, thats great... Couple of early wickets will be nice and will put some pressure on srilankan batsman... if that does happen, our spinners can settle in and we might have a little advantage

Rubu
February 28, 2006, 10:59 AM
We know that last wicket partnership won't last for long. There is no point trying it. They should go for it from the first ball. If they can manage a boundary or two, great. If not, lets use the morning dews for our favore.

we have to keep in mind. we are NOT in a strong position. 315 is a below per score for international standard for first innings (I know its good for our standard, but its time we think big). so, we have to defend well. and somone else has to stand up to go with Ash.

:E I miss aftab. Alok better prove something with ball, because probably he was the reason aftab was left out.

pagol-chagol
February 28, 2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Rubu
We know that last wicket partnership won't last for long. There is no point trying it. They should go for it from the first ball. If they can manage a boundary or two, great. If not, lets use the morning dews for our favore.

Exactly.

Hit hard from the first ball, oh well, may be second. These guys can't bat for long anyway.

sadi
February 28, 2006, 11:06 AM
lots of start... but noone made a big score except ash... not a good sign at all... once they did the hard work and got set... they really should capitalize it... look at the scores... nafees 34, sumon 29, shahriar nafees 27, alok 16, rafique 17... :down:

oracle
February 28, 2006, 11:07 AM
Have to say that Alok did'nt have kapal yesterday. That umpire decision was plain wrong. He was looking good at the crease ( did any of you see it?).

Sri Lankans were appealing too much also( nearly every ball at one stage). Bashar should complain at some point.

Edited on, February 28, 2006, 4:08 PM GMT, by oracle.

Warlock
February 28, 2006, 11:08 AM
One thing I am worrying about is- both Russel and Shahadat are quite inexperienced. How well will they cope with the burden of being the spearhead of the bowling attack? On the other hand, in the absence of Mashrafee I think they are the best two bowlers available. If Russel can keep on a nagging line and Shahadat can produce some pace like Malinga did today- may be we have a glimmer of hope.
Looking at Murali's and Bandara's figures- I am getting the impression it may be a spinner's pitch after all. (Though there was a lot of talk about making a pace-friendly wicket to thwart Murali!) In that case, we can hope that Rafiq and Enamul will perform well and get some wickets between them.
Kapali wasted a good start today. He struck two boundaries, got carried away and then gave away his wicket. He needs to do something with the ball to make amends.

capslock
February 28, 2006, 11:19 AM
When was the last time Kapali passed 20 in international cricket?

sadi
February 28, 2006, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by capslock

:sorry:

Nasif
February 28, 2006, 11:23 AM
Few 4s and 6s would be good. That could bring us close to 350. Thats a respectable score.

pagol-chagol
February 28, 2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by capslock

He love teens.

Fazal
February 28, 2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
He love teens.

.... and Dav loves him...

Kothin Shomossha

Duck
February 28, 2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Fazal
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
He love teens.

.... and Dav loves him...

Kothin Shomossha

:P

rafiq
February 28, 2006, 12:39 PM
Some of you are so obsessed with Kapali bashing it sounds silly at times. What was the difference between Kapali's score and bashar/shahriar nafees/pilot/JO - batsmen who were higherup in the order? He featured in a useful partnership and was unlucky to be given out. It was a good day for BD, so we should enjoy that rather than trying to find fault as always. I, too, wonder why Aftab is not playing, but we should also question the logic of playing 3 openers at the same time. In choosing Alok vs Aftab, they went with spin, which is where the game may be decided.

Tigers_eye
February 28, 2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Warlock
One thing I am worrying about is- both Russel and Shahadat are quite inexperienced. How well will they cope with the burden of being the spearhead of the bowling attack?
Don't worry! This is not their 1st time spearheading the bowling attack. They were fine at SL. At one point they were excellent better than Mash-Taposh. SL was 4-48 at one stage. then the spinners let them get go free. They ended the innings on 457/9. Out 9 wickets the pacer due got 8. Aftab got the other one. Spinners got 0 wickets.

It is our spinners that should be worrying.

Tigers_eye
February 28, 2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by rafiq
... but we should also question the logic of playing 3 openers at the same time.
If i were the selector I would include 5 openers. The more the merrier. I applaud the selectors getting in 3 there.

SS
February 28, 2006, 12:47 PM
there is no more strategy that will work now
except ball line and length hoping for one or two wkts in a day
how beloved batsmen(beside ashraful) are idiots who play like
oneday and don't know how to play test. When they will learn only God knows. None of them are test calibre that's for sure.
I know you guys will curse me, but looking the way they bat in test match and get out when they are set, only can happen in oneday when they are either posing big total or chasing for runs.
Today they could have batted two days but loosing 9 wkts in one day, what sort of test is that. Again a four day test, are we going for changing test days and cut down one day from tests.

Now all we can hope lanka will give us couple of wkts and a narrow lead in their innings. Ohter wise i see a big innings defeat end of third day.

Ejaj
February 28, 2006, 12:52 PM
I dont like thnk any strategy in this game. i just hope that the boys play according to their potential and give her heart out for the match. If bd team can do that.. we will definitely get some good result. WE alawys play so underpar.

Fazal
February 28, 2006, 12:53 PM
Some of you are so obsessed with Kapali bashing it sounds silly at times.

Sorry to hear it sounds silly to you... but I will and I declare here, I will continue the so called Kapali bashing as long I see he is selected at the cost of players like Aftab or Musfiq.... I am not convinced yet that he deserve a chance in the test team ahead of Aftab or Musfiq.

In term of spinners, we already have two genuine spinners in the team. With our current situation I don't think we need 3 spinners in the team.

Ejaj
February 28, 2006, 12:58 PM
Some of you are so obsessed with Kapali bashing it sounds silly at times.

Sorry to hear it sounds silly to you... but I will and I declare here, I will continue the so called Kapali bashing as long I see he is selected at the cost of players like Aftab or Musfiq.... I am not convinced yet that he deserve a chance in the test team ahead of Aftab or Musfiq.

In term of spinners, we already have two genuine spinners in the team. With our current situation I don't think we need 3 spinners in the team.

Agreed 100%.. the only reason for his inclusion as he can used as the 5th bowler.. but. this is only applicable inplace of Rahim. There is no way alok should be selected in place of Aftab. Not definitely in my world. I dont want to be disrespectful to Alok.. but I sincerely think he doesnt have what is required at this level. Both Aftab and Rahim have what it takes to be in the team and play at this level.

sadi
February 28, 2006, 12:58 PM
Kapali has a point to prove here..... :duh:

Ishtylish cricketer
February 28, 2006, 01:09 PM
Fazal bhai he was out by a wrong decision by umpire so... i mean give him the benefit of the doubt. Besides Aftab never plays well in tests. It's a fact and his bowling well it's not the type of pitch which will assist seam bowling so decision makes sense. Whether or not the players will prove that the selectors were right in choosing the current XI that remains to be seen. As far as startegies are concerned, well I just hope he fight back and don't get embarrased so people can't say we shouldn't be playing tests. For that we need to win but i really doubt that will happen. I really hope that they prove me wrong but I don't think that Bd will win because there are 4 more days. Srilanka will bat for 1 and half days and post a huge total. If Srilanka scores about 500 plus in the first inning Bd will have to chase something like 190 more to be tied and yes i assuming that our bowlers will get out very quickly without putting any runs. Even if that's the case at least we should make Srilanka bat in the second inning. To me that would be a moral victory. I remember against England we couldn't make England bat twice that was pretty sad. I hope we avoid that this time.

Spitfire_x86
February 28, 2006, 01:18 PM
Besides Aftab never plays well in tests.
He scored 82* against England only two tests ago

betaar
February 28, 2006, 01:27 PM
I would love to see our tail-enders bat as long as they can without focusing too much on the score card.

The reason-- crease occupation is more important for a team like Bangladesh then scoring quick fire 30-35 runs as we don’t have a bowling attack to support.

Taking advantage of the early moisture could’ve been a good idea on the first day, but I highly doubt how much moisture is left on the 2nd day. We don’t have a good pace attack, so it is not going to be easy taking wickets. So tail-enders should hang in there as long as they can so SL doesn’t get to bat more then 70-75 overs and score more then 210-230 tonight. We need to make SL fight for the win and delay the inevitable in the process.

GODDDDDDDDDDDDD, I am such a pessimist!!!!

Fazal
February 28, 2006, 01:32 PM
I would rather declare now.... they are useless as batsman any way.... why wasting optimum pitch condition for few more runs?

Declare and create a record ... and rip the Sri Lanka batting order within 1st hour of the 2nd day.:P

Rubu
February 28, 2006, 01:33 PM
rafiq vai, the difference between kapali's innings and nafees/bashar/Jo innings is that the rest group goes past 20 every once in a while. kapali never does. moreover, they proved their inclusion before coming into the team. kapali did not.

truetruetiger
February 28, 2006, 01:46 PM
rafiq vai, the difference between kapali's innings and nafees/bashar/Jo innings is that the rest group goes past 20 every once in a while. kapali never does. moreover, they proved their inclusion before coming into the team. kapali did not.

rightly said! alok needs to prove himself bigtime!

rudro
February 28, 2006, 01:47 PM
I would rather declare now.... they are useless as batsman any way.... why wasting optimum pitch condition for few more runs?

Declare and create a record ... and rip the Sri Lanka batting order within 1st hour of the 2nd day.:P

তোমার মুখে ফুলচন্দন পড়ুক!

dash
February 28, 2006, 01:55 PM
kapali is one of the most gifted players in BD.

he is destined to have a future in bd cricket just like ash.

Edited on, February 28, 2006, 6:56 PM GMT, by dash.

betaar
February 28, 2006, 02:09 PM

I don't agree with the first part of your post.

No batsman is useless in test, even if they cannot score runs they can just stay at the crease and kill time which is one of the major factors in deciding the fate of the match. You need lot of temperment to show that quality in you to occupy the crease which our batsmen lack in. I would rather BD scored 240 for 6 yesterday then 319/9. Scoring slowly in the first match definitely gives teams like BD a moral victory and then, if possible, capitalize on it.

I liked your 2nd part, but I'm afraid it's only going to remain as a wishful thinking.

Fazal
February 28, 2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by betaar
I don't agree with the first part of your post.
I liked your 2nd part, but I'm afraid it's only going to remain as a wishful thinking.

and I thought there is only one part in my post. Looks like there is a hole in my post.....:great:

Umar
February 28, 2006, 02:22 PM
Dont worry..Shahadat Hossain can smack the ball.. so..we would probably be seeing some tuns comming up...

al Furqaan
February 28, 2006, 04:26 PM
rajib on 11...its his higest score.

i hope enam gives him the strike...

they should let all bad balls go, and try to smack the good ones for boundaries.

Rubu
February 28, 2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by al Furqaan
they should let all bad balls go, and try to smack the good ones for boundaries.

furqaan vai, why work hard trying to send the good balls to boundary when you can do that much easily with the bad ones?

Fazal
February 28, 2006, 04:58 PM

furqaan vai, why work hard trying to send the good balls to boundary when you can do that much easily with the bad ones?

al Furqaan knows the secret code of Bangladeshi batsman. try to hit the good balls and let go the bad balls :great:

6alltheway
February 28, 2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by betaar
I would love to see our tail-enders bat as long as they can without focusing too much on the score card.

The reason-- crease occupation is more important for a team like Bangladesh then scoring quick fire 30-35 runs as we don’t have a bowling attack to support.

Taking advantage of the early moisture could’ve been a good idea on the first day, but I highly doubt how much moisture is left on the 2nd day. We don’t have a good pace attack, so it is not going to be easy taking wickets. So tail-enders should hang in there as long as they can so SL doesn’t get to bat more then 70-75 overs and score more then 210-230 tonight. We need to make SL fight for the win and delay the inevitable in the process.

GODDDDDDDDDDDDD, I am such a pessimist!!!!

i agree with you, instead of trying the slog our way to 350 or 360, we should stay on the crease for as long as we can. grind our way to 350 or even 400 if possible. then start taking some wickets.

al Furqaan
February 28, 2006, 09:10 PM

lol, yes, fazal bhai had a classic joke.

what i meant was the good ball from the batsman's perspective (the bowler's bad ball).

:sorry:

Rubu
February 28, 2006, 09:17 PM
yeah, of course. we understand that, and I was just joking.

conventionally, good balls are called those balls that has good lines and lengths. bad ones are the opposite.

roaring tigerz
February 28, 2006, 09:42 PM
our best chance in this test is to grab a couple of early wickets and keep attacking. srilanka has two new openers and they have also not been among the runs recently. so a lot rests on shahadat and rasel's new ball spell.

srilanka's strength lies in the middle order trio of sangakkara, jayawardena and dilshan. with the flat nature of the pitch and our inexperienced bowling attack, there is a real risk of one of them putting up a huge score.and then comes samaraweera, our nemesis in the last tour.
bashar HAS TO attack at every chance. setting up defensive fields and hoping for the Srilankans to get themselves out wont get us anywhere in this flatbed.when rafiq and enam start leaking runs he should try out kapali and ashraful. shahadat has to bowl with raw pace and be used in short bursts. all in all a tall order...but with a little luck, smart strategies and safe catching things just might get interesting...

pagol-chagol
February 28, 2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by roaring tigerz
our best chance in this test is to grab a couple of early wickets and keep attacking. srilanka has two new openers and they have also not been among the runs recently. so a lot rests on shahadat and rasel's new ball spell.

srilanka's strength lies in the middle order trio of sangakkara, jayawardena and dilshan. with the flat nature of the pitch and our inexperienced bowling attack, there is a real risk of one of them putting up a huge score.and then comes samaraweera, our nemesis in the last tour.
bashar HAS TO attack at every chance. setting up defensive fields and hoping for the Srilankans to get themselves out wont get us anywhere in this flatbed.when rafiq and enam start leaking runs he should try out kapali and ashraful. shahadat has to bowl with raw pace and be used in short bursts. all in all a tall order...but with a little luck, smart strategies and safe catching things just might get interesting...

Basher said in prothom alo that he will try to keep the run rate down. Defensive posture right there.

IanW
February 28, 2006, 10:05 PM
It's less than what was hoped for, and more than what was feared.

The Tigers are going to have about 320, maybe 340 and in wild dreams 350 runs.

There were a couple of good partnerships, and Ash delivered on his promise as the finest young batsman in world cricket. 320 is less than you'd like, but it isnt a distaster.

Day 2 will be down to tight, accurate bowling ... by everyone except Shahadat. His job is to blast them out.

Right now, Bangladesh are in the game. Bad bowling and they fall out of it, good bowling and they stay there. Four more days, but treat it like it's a ball at a time.

Ian Whitchurch

thebest
February 28, 2006, 10:13 PM
Alok supporters were arguing so much abt he wrongly getting out. How about Aftab? He also get wrongly out in 3rd one dayer. And in any day i would chose Aftab over Kapali. Talentwise I think both of them are in the same league. In terms of temparement Aftab is far ahead. Come on guys he had shown both in batting and Bowling that he had it. Aftab won MOM for both batting and Bowling in two separate matches. Regarding test caliber. Aftab can be an effective third seamer which we lack. Do we lack spinner. Rafiq and Enamul is good enough bowler. Ye Alok has a test hattrick. So have 32 other bowlers. This list includes so many bowlers who are not luminaries P Patheric. So what was the logic of playing him. Play 3 spinners. Why not use Ashraful even Bashar?

pagol-chagol
February 28, 2006, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by thebest
Alok supporters were arguing so much abt he wrongly getting out. How about Aftab? He also get wrongly out in 3rd one dayer. And in any day i would chose Aftab over Kapali. Talentwise I think both of them are in the same league. In terms of temparement Aftab is far ahead. Come on guys he had shown both in batting and Bowling that he had it. Aftab won MOM for both batting and Bowling in two separate matches. Regarding test caliber. Aftab can be an effective third seamer which we lack. Do we lack spinner. Rafiq and Enamul is good enough bowler. Ye Alok has a test hattrick. So have 32 other bowlers. This list includes so many bowlers who are not luminaries P Patheric. So what was the logic of playing him. Play 3 spinners. Why not use Ashraful even Bashar?

Looks like the 3rd spinner idea backfired. They need a 3rd pacer badly in this pitch.

I guess Bashar may have to bowl himself. He said on NTV that he may have to.

How sad.