PDA

View Full Version : Session By Session Analysis - Test 1

Rubu
February 28, 2006, 11:15 AM
I tried to do it during the England tour, but we had such a performance that it did not made any sense to carry on in that thread. Hope I won't jinx it this time. Here is how it goes. We set a target for each session. Once the session is over, we analyze it and give it a grade: win, loose, draw.

Since three sessions are already over, I'll post them here. But you guys can do it too

Session 1:

Target: Do not loose Early Wicket.

Analysis: JO's early wicket was a set back, but we did come back from that. Bandara did the late session damage. 3 wickets are gone but scored 84 Runs.

Outcome: In between draw and loose. Hard to decide.

Session 2

Target: Recover from two quick wicket loose.

Analysis: Job well done. Went to a much better situation of 191/4. scored 107 runs with 1 wicket lose.

Outcome: Win

Session 3
Target: Keep up the good work.

Analysis: Even though scored 108 runs in this session, we lost 5 wickets, including the priceless wicket of ashraful.

outcome: lose.

[b]Session 4[b]
Target: 1. Add as much run as possible. 10+ would be a success. 2. Get at least 2 wickets before lunch.

So, this is where we actually start.

pagol-chagol
February 28, 2006, 11:19 AM
1st session: F+
2nd session: A-
3rd session: C-

4th session: At least 2 wickets. We can declare for all I care.

Tigers_eye
February 28, 2006, 11:20 AM
Session 1: we lost. Early wicket. 2 set batsmen got out in a batting pitch??
Session 2: Draw. A set batsman got out.
Session 3: Draw. (tail was exposed. Don't expect too much from the tail).

Fazal
February 28, 2006, 11:26 AM
Session 1: Loss (Beacuse of two late wickets plus one early wicket)

Session 2: Win (Recovered nicely)

Session 3: Loss ( Losing 3 could make it a Draw/Win)

Just face it, it may be a good score for Bangladeshi standard, but in absolute term.... 1st day is a (slight) LOSS for Bangladesh.

pagol-chagol
February 28, 2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Fazal
Session 1: Loss (Beacuse of two late wickets plus one early wicket)

Session 2: Win (Recovered nicely)

Session 3: Loss ( Losing 3 could make it a Draw/Win)

Just face it, it may be a good score for Bangladeshi standard, but in absolute term.... 1st day is a (slight) LOSS for Bangladesh.

Frankly, I would take 315 if we had to do it over again. Take Ashraful's score out and the rest of them did what they always do. :(

Cricket46
February 28, 2006, 11:32 AM
I like the letter grade idea. But you guys are really tough. Let’s not think we are at par with the major cricketing nations.

My grades are as follows:

Pre-lunch: B-
Lunch to tea: A
Post-tea: C+
*Overall: B
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Overall is not an average of the 3 sessions, to me, it is simply scoring 300+ on Day 1.

Fazal
February 28, 2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
Frankly, I would take 315 if we had to do it over again. Take Ashraful's score out and the rest of them did what they always do. :(

I know.... I agree with you .. based on our current situation 315 is a very good score for Bangladesh as a Bangladeshi fan .... but not for an independent evaluator.

but in terms of evaluating each session impartially... 315 is not going to save Bangladesh from defeat.... if this wicket gets spinner friendly... our wicket will fall sooner than you can count...SriLanka can still beat Bangladesh by an Innings plus 100s.

pagol-chagol
February 28, 2006, 11:42 AM
Well, we definitely have to bat well in the 2nd innings to have any chance. The fact that we see a glimmer of hope at the end of day 1 by itself is not such a small achievement. Isn't it?

sadi
February 28, 2006, 11:48 AM
really disappointed by the performance of other batsmen... most of them got start but failed to capitalize... thats a crime... one 70-80 from a batsman and we would have been well placed for 400....

Cricket46
February 28, 2006, 11:51 AM
If the wicket starts to take turn, it usually gets worse as the game goes on. So assuming we really do not mess up in our second innings, they are the ones who will have to bat last. In that case, 300+ might not look that bad. Problems are many for us. We don’t have a Murali, or anything close to that. There is very little chance that we can restrict the Sri Lankans to close to our 1st innings score, or even better, to take a slight lead. And then who knows how we will fare the second time around. Remember the day Ashraful scored 150+ agianst India! We almost lost that very day. So all in all, 300 is really not a bad score if it really begins to turn a lot.

Tigers_eye
February 28, 2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by sadi
really disappointed by the performance of other batsmen... most of them got start but failed to capitalize... thats a crime... one 70-80 from a batsman and we would have been well placed for 400....
And we would still have some wickets in hand at least 3.

Sham
February 28, 2006, 11:54 AM
I actually started this in a different thread, putting in targets for sessions and days.

Anyway, I had said before the start that 260 or 270 for 8 would have been a par score if we got to bat first.

I think 315 for 9 is better than par for us! So if a par score is B, I'd give us a B+ overall, given the relative strengths of each team.

As for sessions, I would give the first a C+ (even though Bashar's LBW was dubious), the second a A- and the third a B-. I don't think losing all those wickets in the last session makes the day a failure (I dont think Kapali was out and the tail arent supposed to hang around against bowlers like Malinga).

Overall, a very good day for Bangladesh. Things could have been much worse had Sri Lanka taken their catches early on! We have given our bowlers something to bowl at. Our two tail-enders should now try to frustrate their bowlers as long as possible, although I doubt they'll hang around for much more than 10 minutes and then we have to try to get 5 or 6 SL wickets in the day and try to prevent them from taking the lead. If we can do that, I'll be very happy with day 2!

Fazal
February 28, 2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Cricket46
If the wicket starts to take turn, it usually gets worse as the game goes on. So assuming we really do not mess up in our second innings, they are the ones who will have to bat last.

:lol:

Draw or loss... with the bowling fire power we have... I don't think they will need to bat last... i.e. that would not be necessary.... even they bat target wouldn't be more than 50-60 runs....

AsifTheManRahman
February 28, 2006, 11:56 AM
i still dont feel comfy with 315 though. we'll have to bowl really well if we are to make a match out of this. 315/6 or 7 at the end of the day would have been a better stand, imo.

oracle
February 28, 2006, 12:00 PM
(I dont think Kapali was out and the tail arent supposed to hang around against bowlers like Malinga

Thank god I am not the only one who saw that. A bad decision by Harper that favoured the bowlers, added by the fact that the Lankans were way over the top with excessive appealing. And for god's sake he was batting at 7. To me he is an extra bowling option in this match, not even a batsman.

I am awaiting those drop Kapali threads any moment now.:lol:

Also, I think Mashud deserves some credit here. After all, he hung around and helped Ash get the century he deserved.

sadi
February 28, 2006, 12:01 PM
as long as they don't score more than 400 I will be happy... its very important for us to keep a tight line and length and let them work for their runs just like murali had to work for his wickets... don't give away easy runs... don't drop catches and we should be allright

oracle
February 28, 2006, 12:05 PM
don't give away easy runs... don't drop catches and we should be allright

Good point- catches will give us the edge. Throughout the innings we were helped by some poor SL fielding. And those extras from Fernando really helped.

rudro
February 28, 2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by sadi
really disappointed by the performance of other batsmen... most of them got start but failed to capitalize... thats a crime... one 70-80 from a batsman and we would have been well placed for 400.... I agree with you. The way NI and HB got out, its really a crime. They got out when they were well set on the crease.

Duck
February 28, 2006, 12:11 PM
If we can put SL in the 4th innings......! I would bet that Rafique and Enamul will offer them fresh ghol to SL batsmen!
yeah I know it is one of those big IFs.

Pundit
February 28, 2006, 12:14 PM
I agree with FW.

Ash's 100 is masking the challenge ahead. Rafique & Enamul will have to play key roles, while we will have to look at Rassel and Shahadat for breakthroughs with the new ball. There just cannot be any partnership over 150.

If only we could have played 1 more full session.

Cricket46
February 28, 2006, 12:20 PM
I think a philosophical issue comes up. Do we view the glass as half empty or half full? If you ask me, vis-à-vis our position as a test team, I see it BOTH as half empty and half full. Meaning yes, we could get to 400 in the first innings, yes we can bowl them out close to our score, but also we would be much worse had they taken the catches and the run out(s).

So given our background, I still think 315/9 is pretty good. I would rather that we lost 2-3 wickets fewer by the end of the day. But that is past now, ifs and buts will always be there. When was the last time we scored 300+ in a days play against a test team? I don’t know even if we achieved that against Zimbabwe. I think our batsmen did a very decent job and now it is up to the bowlers to give all that they have. Realistically speaking, I would be happy if we can restrict them to 400, my good sense says they will score much more, while my heart wants them to score under 300. I know, I am digressing here.

The outcome of the match I don’t know, but to me the overall vibes is very positive in this series, so far.

shaheen
February 28, 2006, 12:26 PM
I think 325 is not a very bad score. To me my biggest concern is about our 3rd seamer. Who will be able to bowl new balls if some injuries happen to any of our two openning bowlers?
Even though we do not have Murali but we have spinners like Rafique/Enamul and Alok who can get some favors from the pitch. So I am not worried about our spin attack. I am afraid that lack of third seamer in the team may cost us the match. Look how malinga/Maharoof/fernando troubles our batsman specially after taking the second new balls. Other wise 315-325 is a good respectable score from BD to defend against present SL team.

Ejaj
February 28, 2006, 12:28 PM
I felt that we are playing in this match with one batsman short. I really thought Mushfiq would play in this match. He has been in good form and yes. I do want hiim in the team.. specially.. when dont have anyother batsman inpalce of Aftab. Its a shame to let alok play in the test match. only, reason i guess. they want to get one extra bowler in the team. I really hope alok proves me wrong.. unfortunately, I can see big failure from him in this match. About the score, I believe, its not enough, but given the situation earlier on.. I would take this gratefully. Last but not least.. the way Ashraful got out.. It was compeltely fool. I really sometimes hate this boy.. he is so talented and at the same time. such a dumb head. If he were here tomorrow.. I sincerely thought of having a score of 400 by tomrrow... Its such a pathetic way to end such a great innings from him.. hooo!!!

Ejaj
February 28, 2006, 12:30 PM
Just a suggestions... Rahim shoudl have played in place of Nafees iqbal.. i really thing it would have been a correct decision.

pagol-chagol
February 28, 2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Ejaj
the way Ashraful got out.. It was compeltely fool. I really sometimes hate this boy.. he is so talented and at the same time. such a dumb head.

I didn't watch the game but looking at the wicket falls it seems that he ran out of partners and knew that he had to score quickly with big shots. Is that correct?

Fazal
February 28, 2006, 12:44 PM
Alok fans points it out that he was included as a bowler not as batsman. Now lets see what he provides with the ball then. I hope they don't flip flop after his bowling performance.

Now if he is selected as bowler then controversy doesn't stop there. Then next question is then do we really needed 3 spinners (Rafique, Enamul & Alok) instead of a genuine batsman?

I agree with Ejaj that we needed another batsman in team.

Ejaj
February 28, 2006, 12:44 PM
the way Ashraful got out.. It was compeltely fool. I really sometimes hate this boy.. he is so talented and at the same time. such a dumb head.

I didn't watch the game but looking at the wicket falls it seems that he ran out of partners and knew that he had to score quickly with big shots. Is that correct?

Well I watched these last few overs and Ashrafull was really doing great.. saving the tail enders from Malinga. He was not even taking any single when malinga was bowling. So.. this clearly showed that his good intention to bat thoguh the day and continue tomorrow. When he hit murali in that ball.. it was so much unnecessary .. since. only few more overs were left. He could have continued only on 2 s or 4s. But the shot he played. .looked like. he is slogging and there were only few balls left for the innigs. I understand.. normally. when u are running out of partners.. and the tail is open.. then.. slog .. is what everyone does. But.. he only needed few more overs left today and he could do this tomorrow very much. It would have just given a mental edge. but he just blew it!!

Tigers_eye
February 28, 2006, 12:50 PM
The catch was an excellent catch. running backwards with boundary at sight. He intended to hit for a six.

pagol-chagol
February 28, 2006, 12:55 PM

Well I watched these last few overs and Ashrafull was really doing great.. saving the tail enders from Malinga. He was not even taking any single when malinga was bowling. So.. this clearly showed that his good intention to bat thoguh the day and continue tomorrow. When he hit murali in that ball.. it was so much unnecessary .. since. only few more overs were left. He could have continued only on 2 s or 4s. But the shot he played. .looked like. he is slogging and there were only few balls left for the innigs. I understand.. normally. when u are running out of partners.. and the tail is open.. then.. slog .. is what everyone does. But.. he only needed few more overs left today and he could do this tomorrow very much. It would have just given a mental edge. but he just blew it!!

Ejaj - from your description its pretty clear that he had to hit big shots to score runs since he was out of partners. I don't think he he thought that his partners could survive the day and hence he had to make some runs before the inning ends.

Raja
February 28, 2006, 01:34 PM
Well done so far. Boyz tackled Murali very well. I was so scared about Murali. End of the day Ashraful showed his genuine class. 2mmorow morning we have bat through at least an hour or more, doesn't matter how many runs we'll gather. Then bowling needs to be perfect and accurate. Goodluck

LateCut
February 28, 2006, 01:53 PM
"Although there is no Chaminda Vaas, you can not ignore the Sri Lankan attack because Murali is the best spinner ever in the world. Also, Lasith Malinga's slingy action makes him a difficult bowler to pick. Ashraful really did well handling these two. I think he was getting desperate and running out of partners. So I don't blame the young man for being dismissed shortly before close of play."

"The way Nafees got out just before lunch was a pity. Before any break, you should not relax. The best way is to stay there and play a few maiden overs if needed. No harm done that way. No coach can help the batsmen in these situations because they need to help themselves."

Do I need to say anything?

Source:
http://thedailystar.net/2006/03/01/d60301040233.htm

rudro
February 28, 2006, 01:55 PM
We lost on the first day. Why? Run-wise it looks great, but we lost 9 wickets. It is still very likely for SL to end this game within 4 days if not earlier. Our goal should have been to stay at the crease for 1.5 days. We could have easily done that if Bashar and NI were more responsible!

Beamer
February 28, 2006, 03:56 PM
Bashar played down the wrong line on a defensive shot. It can happen from time to time. But NI out was criminal. He actually threw his wkt away.

RazabQ
February 28, 2006, 03:58 PM
A quality batsmen like Bashar should get out of the habit of using his pads instead of the bat. If only he was playing bat first, he could have adjusted his stroke - so slow was the pitch.

Beamer
February 28, 2006, 04:02 PM
Bashar is not the technically best batsman around. Will take whatever he gives in the process. Ash on the otherhand plays with his bat everytime he comes to connect.

Sham
February 28, 2006, 04:58 PM
Alok fans points it out that he was included as a bowler not as batsman. Now lets see what he provides with the ball then. I hope they don't flip flop after his bowling performance.

Now if he is selected as bowler then controversy doesn't stop there. Then next question is then do we really needed 3 spinners (Rafique, Enamul & Alok) instead of a genuine batsman?

I agree with Ejaj that we needed another batsman in team.

Firstly, I dont want to speak for all Alok fans but I for one certainly did not ever suggest that he got picked as a bowler. I said that his bowling probably put him ahead of Rajin and Mushfiq but he has to justify his place in the side with runs first!

Secondly, I dont think he was out at all yesterday. It was clear from the replays that he didn't actually hit the ball, it came off his body. Now, these things happen and while we have the benefit of slow motion replays, the umpire doesnt. But whether you are an Alok fan or not, you must agree that it is a bit sad when a guy is making a comeback in the team that he should fall victim to a wrong decision!

Lastly, I can't believe that most people are complaining about our batting performance. In my opinion, the only out that was utterly disappointing was Nafis Iqbal's, and that too because till he got out he looked really good out there. And I understand that those who got starts should have carried on. But lets not get ahead of ourselves here! In 10 previous innings against the Sri Lankans, we average 177.3 runs per innings. I think the positives out of this day far outweigh the negatives. We werent all out, we scored over 300 runs, we put on quite a few useful partnerships, we scored at a good rate, one of our batsmen scored a significant century, we really ought to be pleased with ourselves after this effort.

Now if the bowlers can keep things simple and make it difficult for the Sri Lankans, we could make a game of it. I don't think that we are going to be able to deny them a lead, but given that they have a new opening pair and a very long tail starting with Maharoof at number 7, there is no reason that we can't bowl them out for under 400!

Fazal
February 28, 2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Sham
I said that his bowling probably put him ahead of Rajin and Mushfiq but he has to justify his place in the side with runs first!

In that case I hope he will show something with the ball to justify his inclusion. Lets see. I hope he shines with the ball for the sake of the team.

Secondly, I dont think he was out at all yesterday. It was clear from the replays that he didn't actually hit the ball, it came off his body. Now, these things happen and while we have the benefit of slow motion replays, the umpire doesnt.

Now that I am reading more about Alok’s dismissal, I will reserve my judgement for his 2nd innings. I will wait and see how he plays in the second innings. Trust me, I would be more than happy to be proven wrong…. because as he is already selected we cannot change that, its good for the team if I am proven wrong.

But whether you are an Alok fan or not, you must agree that it is a bit sad when a guy is making a comeback in the team that he should fall victim to a wrong decision!

Agree. No argument there. However we still need to see some good score from Alok in the 2nd innings to convince myself Alok’s selection was a good one. Lets see what he does in the 2nd innings. Because I think there is a huge possibility that Bangladesh can bundle up cheaply. There is a chance for Alok to become an instant Hero by scoring some run.

Lastly, I can't believe that most people are complaining about our batting performance.

I don’t know, you deduct Ash’s score and then there isn’t much to talk about. I still think we need another genuine batsman than 3 spinners to DRAW this match. May be I am thinking too negatively. I would be delighted with a draw.

Beamer
February 28, 2006, 05:20 PM
Mahela is the key. Ashraful is a bit like him. If he stays in the crease runs will come. Bashar have to be aggressive with him. Bowl at him with a plan. Set some fields for him. Invite him, if needed, to attack one specific area. He will take the bait. We might bleed a few boundaries in the process, but one have to be very proactive with him. Pacers have to be disciplined in this benign wkt after the initial overs. Rasel should be able to settle in a good line and length. Pressure will give us some chances. We must catch better. Our test drop cathces are legendary.

Sham
February 28, 2006, 06:02 PM
You are right, Mahela is probably the key. But Sangakkara and Dilshan are also players of some class. Those are the three that we need to do particularly well against. Have a plan with the bowling and the field placement, make sure we take any catch they offer and generally make it difficult for them to score runs by being aggressive. Bashar goes too defensive too soon. He has enough runs on the board to put some pressure, but the stupid man is going to be so worried about "drawing" the test match, he is going to spread the field out if the Sri Lankans get on to about 50 for no loss. And that will only bring forward our defeat!

RazabQ
February 28, 2006, 06:19 PM
I say Bashar should pull a Nasser. Have his 2 SLAs bowl all day outside the leg stump and make the Lankans earn each and every run. Attack only in the first 10 overs of the innings and the 80th-90th over - until then put the pacers in ice an dpreserve them. Sure, this way SL could get to 500 but if it takes them well into the 4th day, then Nafis could pull a Zim here and park himself all our batsmen could go into a Pilot mode and we would bore Sri Lanka into a draw.

Ok I kidd I kidd ... But isn't that an alternative to consider?

Flipper
February 28, 2006, 08:09 PM
It was a gritty performance by BD considering our previous 8 test innings.

I was really elated to see Nafis Iqbal batting so well, of course he is an opening batsman with sound technique. It was also sad to see him getting out like the way he did after all the hard work he had done. Anyways, hopefully he will learn sooner, than later.

The other Nafees, not a test opener as yet, but keeping one eye in the future, he should work on his technique, and shouldn't swing his bat at everything that comes his way. He should know better by now.

Ash seems to be understanding his game better now, and if he continues, it's not going to be an year before he raises the game for his team-mates as well and prove what those CI guys are saying, "His superb knock was yet another reminder to the rest of the cricket world that Bangladesh can no longer be underestimated. Sri Lanka, missing four senior players, are in a real battle."

Finally Bashar is due for a big one now. Nafis, and he took the shine off the new ball, set up the platform, but couldn't capitalize.

Pilot, although didn't score too many runs, was instumental behind Ash's Century.

Kapali looked good, but I can't get over the fact that Aftab is not there because of him.

Rubu
February 28, 2006, 10:48 PM
OK since we are out on 319. here is the target for this session. get at least 2 wickets and keep the RR below 4. That is 120/2 or better.

al Furqaan
March 1, 2006, 12:56 AM
96/2, RR is just over 4...i would say drawn session.

if we keep it up, we might be able to finish em up by 400 (hopefully 350)

pagol-chagol
March 1, 2006, 12:59 AM
4th session: B

RazabQ
March 1, 2006, 01:15 AM
B- because of the runrate for BD
B to SL because they lost one wicket too many.

Rubu
March 1, 2006, 08:01 AM
6th session is the one that took the match away from us. only one wicket and over 100 runs.

we have to get them all out before lunch tomorrow. then bat for at least 4 sessions.

SS
March 1, 2006, 09:16 AM
anybody waiting to give F to this stupid bowlers :mad:

Sham
March 1, 2006, 09:44 AM
Why? The bowlers did quite well i thought!

Okay, so our pacers struggled. Did anyone expect anything different? Shahadat is still a bit immature with his approach. And Rassel is a fanstastic bowler but is just too damn slow! With the new ball if he can get swing, he is pretty useful, but on a dead pitch once the ball stopped doing anything, he became totally useless. He has good line and length, gets the ball to swing but for gods sake man, add a bit of pace. He needs to atleast get up to the high 70 mph range. He is now around low 70s, which is really no quicker than Aftab and is really not good enough for an opening bowler.

As for the spinners, I think they bowled really well all day. Worked hard, kept asking questions and picked up 4 wickets between them too. Very good effort! Even in the last session!

But did Bashar forget about Kapali? We have a leg spinner in our team and he got 1 over in the whole day? What the hell?

oracle
March 1, 2006, 09:53 AM
I was'nt entirely satisfied with the field placement. BAshar should have been more attacking. Just around when Marrof was settling in, I saw fielders trying to save those singles. I thought it would be better to entice him to go for the shots early on in his innings, especially when Enamul was bowling.

Also, Bashar did'nt(or still does'nt know) what to do with Shahadat, i.e when to use him; what strategy to employ etc..
Again Kaps should have been brought in instead of Ash. If need be Ash could have bowled the second last over of the day.

Maybe it is inexperience of such match situations?

sadi
March 1, 2006, 09:54 AM
yeah I was thinking the same thing... he should have used kapali a little more.... atleast 6-7 overs would have been nice... i guess he was depending more on his 2 SLA to get him the wicket since they were bowling quite well

Rubu
March 1, 2006, 10:36 AM
Our main target right now should be to not let them have a lead of above 50 runs. who knows, if they can achieve that we might still have an innings defeat. given the record of our 2nd innings batting that is not entirely impossible.

so, first session target: get them all out below 50 lead. now, if that takes them 'til lunch (very unlikely) that is OK.

Fazal
March 1, 2006, 10:44 AM
Yes If they can keep the deficit close to 50s that will be great news for us. Any thing close to 100 is pretty much end of any hope.

sadi
March 1, 2006, 10:46 AM
i think they will get to 400...... the two batsmen in the crease can bat and then muralitharan will also throw his bat.... we will definately need a good show in the second innings to make this test interesting... however after the performance of first innings apart from ashraful, I can't be that helpful.... hopefully our batsmen will learn from their mistakes...

Beamer
March 1, 2006, 04:33 PM
I don't think we will score more than 250 in the second innings on a pitch that should be turning even more beyond today. I hope I am wrong. Its crucial they don't get a sizeable lead ( 60+). Late order runs from the opponents in a test match has been our nemesis. Yet again, an unknown batsman in Maharoof plays a match changing innings of 72, just like Zaheer Khan did and numerous others before and after that.

Cricket46
March 1, 2006, 04:37 PM
I think the key would be how the pitch plays when we bat in the second innings. Playing Murali on any surface, for any team is a considerable task. If the pitch begins to take a lot more turn, then it is all but over for us. That is the worst case scenario for us.

However, I don’t know with what permutation and combination of their first innings score and our second innings score, if we can take an overall lead of 220 plus runs on a really turning track we might, just might, have a chance. You might laugh at this, but it is possible. Needless to say, this is our best case scenario.

I can’t see this match ending in a draw. For me, at this stage, it is 70% for a Sri Lanka win and 30% for a win by us.

Xavier
March 1, 2006, 04:56 PM
IMO a great chance could have been lost: if Mashrafee had been there Bangladesh would have really won this match. Anybody agree?

Sham
March 1, 2006, 06:27 PM
I dont know about winning this match, but having Mashrafe instead of Rajib would have been a big plus! Anyway, no point talking about what could have been!

I think if we can keep SL to about 380, a 60 run lead, that doesnt give them the game. But if they score over 400, its all over for us. But to keep them to under 380, the seamers will need to get a couple of wickets while the ball is still new. If these two batsmen can see off the new ball and the early morning conditions, SL will add another 100-120 runs!

Its very important that we win the first session tomorrow. Get SL out as soon as possible and go into lunch with all wickets intact. That will give our players confidence as well. If the first session goes badly, the game will be over for us!

AsifTheManRahman
March 1, 2006, 06:38 PM
in fact we are in a pretty advantageous situation here. if we can get them out by the first session, then we will have the rest of the day to bat out, and the wicket should be good for batting after lunch. given that it's going to crack up tomorrow, if we can bat for around 90 overs (60 tonight and 30 tomorrow), we should have a good chance of at least ending this match with a draw, as our spinners should be able to utilize the 4th and 5th day conditions to their advantage.

Fazal
March 1, 2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
in fact we are in a pretty advantageous situation here. if we can get them out by the first session, then we will have the rest of the day to bat out, and the wicket should be good for batting after lunch.

I hope you are right. However Sri lankan captain is predicting something different after lunch....

"Murali can be dangerous from tomorrow afternoon. It is still a very good batting track but there is a chance that the ball would turn from the third day afternoon. "said Jayawardene.

Rubu
March 2, 2006, 12:35 AM
First Session of Day 3 definitely belongs to us.

I will give it an A.

now, for the 2nd session: do not loose more than 2 wickets. how much run scored, does not matter.

AsifTheManRahman
March 2, 2006, 12:37 AM
we won we won! we won the first session!

bat it out boys! bat out the rest of the day! i agree with rubu - no more than two wickets in the second session. just one is even better! we have so much time to bowl sri lanka out! no need to hurry and play rash shots - let's pile up the runs from here!

yay!!

Fazal
March 2, 2006, 12:58 AM
A++ for Bangladesh for 1st session of 3rd day

Shafin
March 2, 2006, 01:01 AM
A++ for Bangladesh for 1st session of 3rd day
Totally agree,the best session for BD so far,it brought us back in the match

Shafin
March 2, 2006, 03:21 AM
F--- for this session,we are virtually out of the game :(

Rubu
March 2, 2006, 08:45 AM
this thread is useless now. only consolation is that we did have a better show and kept the game alive for 2 and half days.