PDA

View Full Version : I am disappointed after Day One of 1st test

fwullah
February 28, 2006, 12:01 PM
Although I would like to bust in all the happiness watching Ashraful century, I am still disappointed to see all other batsman going out for such poor scores on such a good batting wicket. 20s and 30s is not good for a top order batsman, and only 10+ runs for our lower order batsman is also not good.

I am just concerned thinking that the Sri Lankan batsman will probably bat for 2 days from tomorrow and bat us out of the match by scoring 600 odd runs including may be one big partnership or perhaps one batsman getting near to a double century - breaking all of our hearts.

And then our batsman might find it difficult to bat in the second innings because Murali and Bandara will be able to turn the ball more than usual because of the way of the pitch and in the end we might end up in such a situation where the Sri Lankan batsman will have to score only 50 to 60 runs in the 4th innings whereas it would have been very much possible for us to make an even bigger lead and let our spinners do all the talkings by taking a few wickets on Day 4 and Day 5 of the test match.

sadi
February 28, 2006, 12:04 PM
all of our batsman got a start... that tells me the pitch is good for batting... they got out because they lacked the concentration and temparament to play a big innings... I think srilankans won't make the same mistakes... hopefully Rafique and Enam can do their thing tomorrow...

sunny747
February 28, 2006, 12:08 PM
had ash got some company, we could have been in better situation now.........

pagol-chagol
February 28, 2006, 12:13 PM
Did Ashraful run out of partners at the end? I am sure he didn't expect Shahadat, Enamul, Russel to hang around too long. Did that result in risky shots?

Why did he go in so late?

Better off with a 6th batsman (pure batsman) yesterday?

What do you think?

Tigers_eye
February 28, 2006, 12:17 PM
Before the test started my expectation was, "please don't get all out with 200/220. Then in the 1st over lose JO, and right before lunch losing NI and Bashar was a big blow. At that point I thought nope it will be the same old story. Turned off the DilmaTV. In the morning I was delightful to see BD still batting at 315. So I am not at all dissapointed. Very happy indeed.

RazabQ
February 28, 2006, 02:07 PM
While I am not disappointed with Bangladesh's total - I will agree with Fahmida that it's about 100 runs below par and we are finishing our innings one session early.

One of our batsmen should have scored a 50 to support Ash. And ideally we should have gone to tomorrow morning with say Ash and Kaps still at the crease. Then we could have batted or survived until lunch, given SL a 400is total and then forced them to work hard for that day.

As it is, having watched the whole day's proceeding, SL will easily score 500+ here by the end of the 3rd day and then blow us out on the 4th for an innings win :(

SS
February 28, 2006, 02:24 PM
Can we do miracle? answer: No, once in a while we can like second ODI
Can our batsmen score 100? answer: No, once in a while like Ash scores some runs
Can we cross 300 runs? answer: No, once in a while like yesterday we passed
Can we save innings defeat again? Answer:NOOO. once in a while we avoided you can count them.

Is there any hope with this superstar batsmen? Answer: Noo
besides some of them like Ash(may be) or musfiq

Will our bowlers can save us this time? Answer: Noo. once in a while they can perform otherwise they are nothing especial.

Fazal
February 28, 2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by SS
Can our batsmen score 100? answer: No, once in a while like Ash scores some runs
Can we cross 300 runs? answer: No, once in a while like yesterday we passed
Can we save innings defeat again? Answer:NOOO. once in a while we avoided you can count them.

Is there any hope with this superstar batsmen? Answer: Noo
besides some of them like Ash(may be) or musfiq

Will our bowlers can save us this time? Answer: Noo. once in a while they can perform otherwise they are nothing especial.

Can SS be optimistic? Answer: NOOO, once in a while he can sound like optimistic but...:lol:

Mr-khan
February 28, 2006, 02:29 PM
SS hahaahaha.
Why are you always posting negative comment about Bd cricket.:P I have never seen you posting something positive about BD cricket.Come on!We played very well today and i hope our bastman will give them a hard time in second innings again.

SS
February 28, 2006, 02:36 PM
lol Fazal you got me there....:D

bangla_amar
February 28, 2006, 02:54 PM
In 11 innings so far against Sri Lanka, we only achieved 300+ only twice and guess what? Both of the times Ash scored a century.

I am also really not happy about the first day. It still shows the inherent weakness in our batting.

Edited on, February 28, 2006, 7:55 PM GMT, by bangla_amar.

Beamer
February 28, 2006, 03:48 PM
I am dissapointed with Nafis Iqbal. Anyone seen that dismissal? He was well set. Played over 100 balls for his 30 some and then slogged at a ball that would have been a full toss if he stretched forward. Instead, he sat on his back knee and heaved towars mid-on for an ugly dismissal. Ultra slow strike rates sometimes bring in undue pressure on a bastman. Some of our top order batsmen just go into a shell ( don't have to score boundaries, just take singles and twos ) sometimes and writes their own downfall.

Shariar was settling in nicely. Played some gorgeous shots off Murali and was easily facing the pacers that were brought on. But, his tendency to go for almost everything outside the off did him in. That ball was way close to his body to cut. He would have gone on to make a big score. I do like him playing in the middle though.

Alok was unlucky to be given out. Sri lankan screamers earned that wkt. There were a few shouts against Ash that were just lame. Sangakkara is the head cheerleader. We must do to him ( read : Pilot ) what he has been doing !

Javed Omar : I have no expectation. I said it yesterday and it happened. One rising quick delivery anywhere in the region of the offstump is enough for him to poke at it standing on his crease away from his body. He has been getting out like that since last century. He might give you an odd 30-40 from time to time. Anytime his place is in doubt, he manufactures a somewhat timely innings and buys himself time. Gotta give him that though...

Beamer
February 28, 2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by fwullah
Although I would like to bust in all the happiness watching Ashraful century, I am still disappointed to see all other batsman going out for such poor scores on such a good batting wicket. 20s and 30s is not good for a top order batsman, and only 10+ runs for our lower order batsman is also not good.

I am just concerned thinking that the Sri Lankan batsman will probably bat for 2 days from tomorrow and bat us out of the match by scoring 600 odd runs including may be one big partnership or perhaps one batsman getting near to a double century - breaking all of our hearts.

And then our batsman might find it difficult to bat in the second innings because Murali and Bandara will be able to turn the ball more than usual because of the way of the pitch and in the end we might end up in such a situation where the Sri Lankan batsman will have to score only 50 to 60 runs in the 4th innings whereas it would have been very much possible for us to make an even bigger lead and let our spinners do all the talkings by taking a few wickets on Day 4 and Day 5 of the test match.

With sincere apologies, I don't think you will ever be happy even if someone scored a double hundred and team posted 500 runs. You will instead target the batsman who got a duck, or ran someone out, or something of that nature...

Bat-PadTogether
February 28, 2006, 06:03 PM
Its a great day that we scored over 300 runs in a day.If couple of our players could convert there 30 into 50-70 we would be in a commanding position. I think we are atleast 70-80 runs short!!!!!

sufism
February 28, 2006, 06:33 PM
yes i m disappointed. disappointed because of those unfair descisions given by the upmires. 3 of our main batsmen were the victims of those controversial descisions. ya umpires are human beings, they could make mistakes. but 3 unfair descisions could make a big difference. had mashud not been given out we would have easily scored 380 or even more. bashar's dismisal was difficult to judge, i understand, but how about mashud and kap's dismissal. they could have asked for help from 3rd umpire for kap's dismissal. lets see what happens, but i think shariar was playing really good. iqbal was shaky as usually.

allrounder
February 28, 2006, 06:39 PM
what is wrong with us? We seem to always lose wickets at the end of sessions.

They always succumb to pressure during the last 3/4 overs of a session and also gets out one after another.

Flipper
February 28, 2006, 07:42 PM
fwullah, why are you so disappointed? I am just wondering as the scale of expectation you set for yoursel, for instance, Bangladesh will lose to Kenya 3-0, was quite low to begin with.

Hasib
February 28, 2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by SS

The answer to that is YES! If we did it all the time it wouldn't be a miracle....:rolleyes:

FagunerAgun
February 28, 2006, 08:15 PM
Eventhough some batsmen lacked test match temperment, this score is much better than getting bowled out at 27+ overs.

At least, we are still alive.

PoorFan
February 28, 2006, 09:01 PM
Stop following BD cricket, that might help.;)

Yes, BD's performance is bad, but there are some positive cricket played by BD in this series so far. and I personally ready to buy that.

abherath
March 1, 2006, 01:40 AM

Excellent analysis.

However, as a Sri Lankan, I think our batting has been a bit vulnerable lately. Also the reliable Atapattu is not there. The Sri Lankan players who have come to Bangladesh after a long tour of New Zealand / Australia also seem to find it a bit difficult adjusting back to slow sub-continenal wickets. Added to this is the good bowling by Rasel and Rafique which would tilt things in the Tigers' favour.

I think this is going to be a good match.

fab
March 1, 2006, 01:41 AM
Seems like your concern was VERY valid.

Doesn't look like any of our bowlers are capable of getting Sangakara and Jayawardene out on this type of pitch :(

Mahir
March 1, 2006, 04:36 AM
fwullah, ur sentiments are valid, but just have to say one thing, that a pessimist would always see the half-full glass as half-empty.

Spitfire_x86
March 1, 2006, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by fab
Doesn't look like any of our bowlers are capable of getting Sangakara and Jayawardene out on this type of pitch :(
True. Jayawardane threw away his wicket and Sangakara's wicket was a gift from Bucknor.

fwullah
March 1, 2006, 06:52 AM
After Day Two's game, even after 5 wickets down - Sri Lanka was able to score 313 runs and at the end of the day, have 4 wickets left in hand.

I couldn't see the match until after tea-break, how well or how badly did Alok Kapali bowl today? Was his inclusion in the test team justified? We all know how good form he's in, and we all know that it was partly because of him (along with Aftab Ahmed) that we could win the 2nd ODI vs. SL. But I still have to ask about Alok Kapali's handiwork with the ball, as I'm expecting him to be like a leg spinner. For example, if he could take only a couple fo wickets today, add that to Rafique and Enamul Junior's 2 wickets, we could have gone through the tail of Sri Lanka rapidly by now. I also heard in the commentary that Bashar's captaincy was not good - bringing in Ashraful and continuing with Ashrfaful even when he was going for boundaries after boundaries.

Shafin
March 1, 2006, 07:00 AM
We should now try to contain them within 400.

Mahir
March 1, 2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Jayawardane threw away his wicket and Sangakara's wicket was a gift from Bucknor.

well, our genius batsmen fall in this same scenario, dont they ? They mostly gift their wicket away and are also the victims of bad umpiring at the spot at times... but somehow, thats not how its looked for our batsmen! Beats me...