PDA

View Full Version : BD National Budget: Tax on alcohol bevarages reduced (2003 thread)

Mahmood
June 13, 2003, 01:33 PM
What would be a good reason behind that???

Zobair
June 13, 2003, 06:33 PM
very good question!!! whose interests are we serving? hmmm...this does not smell good to me at all?

nasifkhan
June 15, 2003, 01:45 PM
well

this was mainly done to attract the tourist......

from 1996 to 2001 (AL Rule) the tax was about 296% ...

in 2002 saifur rahman increased this tax to 430%....

this year he reduced this tax to 390%..... so u see that doesnt matter.......

but it has really hurt the ppls sentiment....

Zobair
June 15, 2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks nasif for the clarification.

I wish though that we would use other means to improve our tourist appeal. i.e cleaning up our tourist attractions, improving law and order n' stuff. Reducing alcohol tax sends the wrong message. It brings in the wrong kind of tourists if you ask me. I would rather live without their dollars.

nasifkhan
June 16, 2003, 12:55 PM
u r exactly right............pompous.

the govt. should take steps to increases the life security.....rather than increasing tax on alcohols.

Mahmood
June 16, 2003, 03:49 PM
"Honey, where can we go for vacation?"

"We can go to India or Thailand."

"Wait, I think Bangladesh has low tax on Beer. Its real cheap there."

"Wooooow! Lets go there then."

"Yeyyyyyyyyy!"

Arnab
June 16, 2003, 04:21 PM
What kind of beer tho? That's the main question.

ammark
July 3, 2007, 11:07 PM
Lot of fun too :)

In my opinion essential if BD wants to attract tourists.

Shafin
July 4, 2007, 08:51 AM
We don't need Drunk tourists.

Hatebreed
July 4, 2007, 09:04 AM

What tourists need is better accommodation, transportation, and security.

Alien
July 4, 2007, 09:05 AM
A question...isn't alcohol illegal in Bangladesh?

Puck
July 4, 2007, 01:19 PM
What would be a good reason behind that???

considering that a country like bangladesh is likely to have very few drinkers, perhaps 1% of the population, reducing or increasing taxes on foreign imported alcohol hardly matters. so your question is somewhat irrelevant on that ground.

however, if you are talking about the ethics of drinking it would be reasonable to say that those who do drink imported alcohol at home or clubs like the dhaka club can afford to pay whatever duty is imposed on it.

to my knowledge, it would be impossible to any duty on home made tari that some village teastalls might often serve up.

Puck
July 4, 2007, 01:21 PM

they need all that but above all, they need entertainment. alcohol forms a major part of it in western society.

ammark
July 4, 2007, 02:46 PM

Bangladesh misses out on quite a bit of the backpacking crowd (that India, Nepal, Sri Lanka gets) precisely because its dry. Even a little weed would entice them. BD isnt exactly Greece and Egypt when it comes to seeing sites around.

A question...isn't alcohol illegal in Bangladesh?

Yes, the law being you can drink only if your doctor gives a medical note, and you apply from the Ministry of Health for a "Drinking License". Otherwise if you've got the money and attitude you can pull it off by walking into a licensed bar in the hotels or dhaka/ctg/etc clubs.

SMHasan
July 4, 2007, 09:21 PM
Reducing taxes on Alcohol to attract tourists?

Do we have any tourist spot that is safe enough for us let alone the foreigners? Coxes Bazar is neglected and full of problems. Rangamati is not a safe place, specially after some infamous kidnapping incidents. We don't have proper accomodation or transportation too.

People will come to our country only because of cheap beer?

Dhurr
July 5, 2007, 06:40 AM
People will come to our country only because of cheap beer?

bangalir shob ulta reasoning. they wont come for cheap beer but very few non-muslim tourists want to go to a dry country. its simple as that.

whether the tax is 430% or 390%, what difference does it make to the government exchequer? it does not even make a dent in our national budget. sentimental religious kotha barta bolle public chete, ar politician rao eitar shujog nei bhalo bhabei. prai shob politician er bari te alcohol ase kintu legally alcohol rakhar license oder nai. tax 430% hok ar 390% hok, you think they pay it when they buy it? they all get it from the duty free shops when they/other people travel abroad.

ammark
July 5, 2007, 02:36 PM
bangalir shob ulta reasoning. they wont come for cheap beer but very few non-muslim tourists want to go to a dry country. its simple as that.

Absolutely. You just spoke out my thoughts