PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh is a worthy test opponent

abherath
February 28, 2006, 11:55 PM
Looking at the maturity Bangladesh has reached in ODIs and from what I saw of the first day's play in the current test, I feel Bangladesh is now playing like any other senior test playing nation. They have the ability to play cricket at the highest level and even on the mental plane there is a great improvement.

The salient features of Bangladesh's abilities are disciplined and controlled pace bowling, Rafique's spin bowling, generally good fielding and most of all, the true world class batting of Ashraful. Interestingly, among the Sri Lankans with whom I discussed yesterday's play, there were no qualms about Ashraful hitting a century against Sri Lanka, as he is truly international class. He can repeat that performance against any country. I am sure he will prove that against Australia too.

However, I feel Bangladesh's batting has to improve a lot. For example, in the first innings score of 319 all out, Ashraful made 136 and there were 33 extras (3rd highest score !). The others had made only 150 runs, with only Nafees Iqbal able to get past the 20s. This is typical of Bangladesh's batting in most games, especially tests. This over reliance on Ashraful would mean that Bangladesh would fold up in less than 5 days in most test matches, if Ashraful fails to fire. I think Habiul Bashar needs to curb silly shots so that he could show more scores worthy of his true abilities. Javed Omar is good but needs to be more consistent. The other batsmen could become dependable batsmen with some scrutiny by the coach, giving Bangladesh genuine hopes of test wins against senior test playing nations.

In the current ODI and test series, Bagnaldesh has shown the world what they are capable of and Ponting will have to think twice before making further comments.

Well done Bangladesh.

Edited on, March 1, 2006, 6:26 AM GMT, by abherath.

Flipper
March 1, 2006, 12:23 AM
Yes Bangladesh has to fire with all cylinders blazing if we are to make our mark! If you look at the tests we've played so far, Ash actually has not been the consistent performer. Our most successful/consistent (somewhat) batter is Bashar, but now Ash, Aftab, Nafis x 2 are scoring centuries/half centuries every series, and it's not going to be long before we earn da respect!

laki
March 1, 2006, 12:53 AM
a fine post, abherath.
:up:

abherath
March 1, 2006, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Flipper
Yes Bangladesh has to fire with all cylinders blazing if we are to make our mark! If you look at the tests we've played so far, Ash actually has not been the consistent performer. Our most successful/consistent (somewhat) batter is Bashar, but now Ash, Aftab, Nafis x 2 are scoring centuries/half centuries every series, and it's not going to be long before we earn da respect!

You are absolutely right.

The current status in the match is:
Bangladesh, 1st inns. 319 all out.
Sri Lanka replying at 87/2.

So Bangladesh is doing well. The match seems evenly poised at this stage.

PoorFan
March 1, 2006, 01:34 AM
In this series, BD players are showing somewhat determined to concentrate in the game, even though giving away their wicket at the end. Ashraful has been showing good consistency through the series except the first ODI. Hope his last innings inspired rest of the players, if things goes accordingly, we may see respectable fight against Sri Lanka coming innings. BD bowlers are also doing good so far, and looks like the whole team not taking Sri Lanka as fear anymore, rather as strong opponent with respect.

I am not sure how to summarize BD's performance against Sri Lanka, but feel they are playing positive cricket so far.

Rabz
March 1, 2006, 02:49 AM
SL 182/5 now..

the way match is goin right now..i reckon BD should go for the killin from here..

big chance to take a innings lead...even a lead of 50 runs would be great..

then bat sensibly in the second innings..play murali safe...

we'll hv a match in our hand..

lets see what happens

Good luck Bangladesh
:fanflag::fanflag::fanflag::fanflag::fanflag::fanf lag::fanflag:

fwullah
March 1, 2006, 07:12 AM
Taking 5 top order wickets has always been a 'normal even't for us since our test status. It is how quickly we can get te wickets of the bottom half of our opponents - that matters. And this is where we have been failing consistently, barring a match here and there (we bowled out Pakistan when Kapali scored that hat-trick, in the great Multan test too, we could not get the wickets of the lower order batsman of Pakistan quickly enough, who were giving company to Inzamam very well).

sadi
March 1, 2006, 09:25 AM
mahroof scored 72 and Srilanka is right back into the game... 313/6 and I will be happy if we can get them out below 400

LateCut
March 1, 2006, 09:48 AM
Abherath! You make sense! I enjoy reading your posting. keep it up. Most other postings hugely tainted my emotional conclusions not are based on facts.

BanglaCool
March 1, 2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks abherath.
BTW good comeback from SL

betaar
March 1, 2006, 12:05 PM
Abherath,

it’s flattering (if that’s your intention) to read your title. However it really failed to bring out the truth in BD’s current status in test.

If we look at the SL team we will see there are several key players missing which makes them a weaker team. Even if those players were included (considering their recent performance in test against India) SL team would still not be considered as strong as they’d like to be. So, it’s safe to assume that SL team is a weak team at the moment and no way can pose as great a threat as they’d hope to be. Therefore, fighting this SL team and then losing in the end or even getting a draw will not really glorify Bangladesh’s test status. I think it will only be a denial of BD’s true status if we tag these pockets of resistance by Bangladeshi players as “a worthy test opponent”.

(Even) A draw against this weaken SL team will not glorify anything, only a WIN will.

Edited on, March 1, 2006, 5:07 PM GMT, by betaar.

Ahmed_B
March 1, 2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by abherath
I think Habiul Bashar needs to curb silly shots so that he could show more scores worthy of his true abilities.
You just mentioned here one of weakest points in the BD 1st innings of this Test match. Ashraful maybe enjoying a peak form right now (and I hope it will continue like that) but Bashar is so far the most consistant run-producer in Tests for BD. That is why I have missed his performance in this match very much. He has 3 more innings to play (in 2 Tests). I hope he finds himself and scores 2 fifties and maybe a 100 also. He is surely capable of doing that in Test matches and the team needs it from him also.

BTW.. it's always nice to read your encouraging views on BD team. Thanks for that! :)

SMHasan
March 1, 2006, 01:35 PM
Abherath

Its true bangladesh is improving day by day and it takes time for a team to establish themself as a strong opponent in world cricket. And I am not fully agree with Betaar because a draw with this Srilankan side is a huge boost to me, I believe to everyone cause this side at least has got Murali who has been a man eater for bangladesh.So there is no point of
underestimating Bangladeshi perfomence.

betaar
March 1, 2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by sherlockhomes
Abherath

So there is no point of
underestimating Bangladeshi perfomence.

I am not underestimating BD's performance either, may be I failed to state my message.

Any result other then a lose would be a movement to the right direction but it will take a lot more to label BD as a worthy opponent yet. I think once we consistently start winning or even drawing matches with full strength sides then we can call ourselves worthy.

Right now it's still a learning curve............