PDA

View Full Version : Who is the greatest Batsman ever played for Bangladesh?

irteja
March 1, 2006, 08:47 AM
Who is the greatest Batsman ever played for Bangladesh?

Among the top 5 batsman who you think is the best batsman....and why?...

irteja
March 1, 2006, 10:55 AM
well just because ash score 100 yesterday and score good runs in ODI ....people are voting him....

it is sad that player like nannu did not play a single test match...if nannu is in his prime age 20 to 30 played test match...his statistis looks much better then all of the current test player...

DJ Sahastra
March 1, 2006, 10:56 AM
Chacha

Fazal
March 1, 2006, 10:58 AM
Alok Kapali.

Mahmood
March 1, 2006, 10:59 AM
From the selectors faith, I must agree, Kapali must be the all time greatest batsman to play for Bangladesh.

Nasif
March 1, 2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by irteja
it is sad that player like nannu did not play a single test match...if nannu is in his prime age 20 to 30 played test match...his statistis looks much better then all of the current test player...

Highly unlikely. I am not trying to disregard Nannu's contribution to BD cricket in any way. But I do believe he is the most over rated played in BD cricket history.

Tigers_eye
March 1, 2006, 11:01 AM
Alok. Test, ODI, First Class, List A, 20/20, 10/10, 5/5. Hands down. 2nd Hannan Sarkar.

Best bowler. Past, Present, future Alok. 2nd Taposh.

If you don't believe me look at Rubu's signature.

Edited on, March 1, 2006, 5:02 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.

Shafin
March 1, 2006, 11:03 AM
Ashraful is the most talanted batsman BD ever had,but we'll have to wait and see if he can be the Greatest batsman

irteja
March 1, 2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Nasif

Highly unlikely. I am not trying to disregard Nannu's contribution to BD cricket in any way. But I do believe he is the most over rated played in BD cricket history.

well nannu played for bd for 14 years...he has played many memorable innings...from icc trophy to england world cup....he did not play to become hero by scoring 6 ..he take rans in singels and try not to through wicket...he plays for the team....which our new generation need to learn.....our team player use their andralin rather then brain.....

i do not know who is most over rated batsman but certenly Pailot is most under rated batsman in BD cricket history

Umar
March 1, 2006, 11:37 AM
Who is the greatest Batsman ever played for Bangladesh?

Among the top 5 batsman who you think is the best batsman....and why?...

well....U shouldn't Have said "Greatest" Thats a Wrong word for BD cricketers yet too soon..........

one or 2 match wining and 2 or 3 centuries doenst makes anyone Great !!

nannu
March 1, 2006, 11:42 AM
nannu nannu nannu

by nannu

Fortuner
March 1, 2006, 02:20 PM
ATAHAR ALI KHAN...

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT....

tiger1000
March 1, 2006, 02:32 PM
habibul bashar

yaseer
March 1, 2006, 02:47 PM
MANJARUL ISLAM RANA

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

arafath79
March 1, 2006, 03:34 PM
Habibul Bashar Sumon !!!!!!!!!!!!! :great:

tiger1000
March 1, 2006, 03:50 PM
TUSHAR IMRAN

:karate::karate::karate:

sadi
March 1, 2006, 03:58 PM
Atahar Ali....... next comes Aminul Islam

Bat-PadTogether
March 1, 2006, 04:30 PM
AShraful:up::up:

gravitY
March 1, 2006, 05:35 PM
abar suru hoiche.. .. ami vote dei nai.. . ei shuta kholar protibad sorup..

BEHUDA SHUTA... :umm:

Edited on, March 1, 2006, 10:36 PM GMT, by gravitY.

Mon
March 1, 2006, 06:36 PM
without a shadow of dobut Minhazul Abedin Nannu is my all my favorite. a man with tremendous knowledge of the game, talent and with constant disagreement with the selectors.

Edited on, March 1, 2006, 11:39 PM GMT, by Mon.

Mon
March 1, 2006, 06:38 PM
Jahangir should have been in the list as well.
His ICC hundred was really awesome.

Spitfire_x86
March 1, 2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by arafath79
Habibul Bashar Sumon !!!!!!!!!!!!! :great:
ditto

AsifTheManRahman
March 1, 2006, 06:52 PM
nannu is the biggest joker that i've seen wearing the bd jersey out there in the middle, after rokon of course. the guy used to be an outstanding domestic/ICC player, but had the worst odi average that one could imagine of, until late in his career when he did seem to pick up the game.

had he played a test between 20 and 30, he would definitely have turned out to be a laughing stock. personally, i see no place for nannu in the current bangladesh team.

having said that, there is no way one can deny his contribution to bangladesh cricket.

Mon
March 1, 2006, 07:02 PM
[i]I see no place for nannu in the current bangladesh team.

Who is crazy enough to suggest that?

Hatebreed
March 1, 2006, 07:03 PM
Ash without a doubt

AsifTheManRahman
March 1, 2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Mon
[i]I see no place for nannu in the current bangladesh team.

Who is crazy enough to suggest that?

just in case;)

joybangladesh
March 1, 2006, 07:25 PM
Ash is probably the most talented batsman bangladesh has produced until now. how many bangladeshi got praised like him by world class players. But that does not necessarily mean he is the greatest batsman ever. he certainly has the potential to be. but players like Nannu (remember WC 99 - our first ever worldcup), Athar Ali Khan (1st Ban player to win a man of the match award) Akram khan used to carry the bangldeshi batting during the time when bangladesh cricket had nothing and brought us into the lime light, and during those time bangladesh cricket did not have that much facilities and money. So, you cant simply look at the averages. Had Atahar ali khan or nannu played test God knows what would have happened.

Umar
March 1, 2006, 07:28 PM
The Greatest Player in BD is........
Umar (myself) without Any doubt.....:P:P:P:great:

Beta Umar Great job!! Chalaia Jaw......bangladesh ase tumar pesone :P:P:P

Sham
March 1, 2006, 07:29 PM
Monjurul Islam Rana!

He must be, for most of our wise members wanted to pick him in place of Ashraful for the match against Australia at Cardiff. And what a mistake it turned out to be that the selectors decided to stick by Ashraful!

Don't believe me? Check this out:

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=12373#pid199754

Go down the page and read what Mr Reyme had to say, something about Ashraful being a burden on the team?

Fazal
March 1, 2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Sham

He must be, for most of our wise members wanted to pick him in place of Ashraful for the match against Australia at Cardiff. And what a mistake it turned out to be that the selectors decided to stick by Ashraful!

Don't believe me? Check this out:

I believe you... but tried to Check this out anyway :lol:

He mentioned Ashraful as burden that I can see in his message, but coudn't find where he said he (or is it someone else?) wanted to pick him in place of Ashraful for the match against Australia at Cardiff?

Here is his message

Originally posted by reyme
Now that Rana's inclusion is obvious to everybody, which I justified before the match, hopefully Rana will prove his worthiness, again. And I want to see Ashraful again, my prediction is Rana will outperform him and prove my point that talent label is useless, if someone does not know how to use it. Player like Ashraful is nothing more than a burden for this series.

Edited on, March 2, 2006, 12:39 AM GMT, by Fazal.

Sham
March 1, 2006, 07:42 PM
I didnt say he said drop Ashraful, but go through the thread and see how many people supported the idea of dropping Ashraful from the team and playing Rana in the top six!

I referred everyone to Reyme's comment because right after his bold comment about how he was sure Ashraful would be outperformed and how he is a burden, the chap scores a 100 and two 50s and wins us a game against the best cricket team in the world! :)

Fazal
March 1, 2006, 07:47 PM
I referred everyone to Reyme's comment because right after his bold comment about how he was sure Ashraful would be outperformed and how he is a burden, the chap scores a 100 and two 50s and wins us a game against the best cricket team in the world! :)

... may be thats what Ashraful needed i.e. bashing from the fans to utilize some of his talent and produce some runs for the team. Until then he produced little in that series. Bottom line is: in any national team, players need to produce constantly , other wise fans will be after him... its true for any team for any nation... I don't see any wrong critizing Ash at that point before he start producing again. I see its very natural reaction by fans.

Edited on, March 2, 2006, 12:54 AM GMT, by Fazal.
Reason: typo

Flipper
March 1, 2006, 07:53 PM
I just checked the thread too.

Ash was seriously out of form, his previous 12 test innings yielded 30 odd runs all together, a trip to India around that time as the captain was disasterous, and it was natural to ask to drop him when Bangladesh was at their lowest in terms of applying themselves at the top level.

Our Bowling was the worst in that series, and that's why I think most people wanted Rana in the team droping Ash although logically a bowler can't replace a batsman!

Sham
March 1, 2006, 07:55 PM
Oh okay, so now the people who wanted to drop him are credited with his 100 at Cardiff! Fantastic! :)

This isn't Australia, its Bangladesh. And Ashraful is two heads and three shoulders above everyone else in terms of calibre! He could score 5 ducks in a row, he would still be the first name on my list! And to suggest that Rana be the one to replace him is basically comic relief.

Oh, maybe that was what these guys were trying to do after such a traumatic few days for BD cricket, provide some laughter for everyone! So lets credit them with that as well!

Rubu
March 1, 2006, 07:57 PM
I'd say leave that rana guy alone. he is not even in the team, and therefore not the most important topic. moreover, whever he played, he did serve the team. unlike others, he was never caused damage to the team.

Fazal
March 1, 2006, 08:01 PM
Oh okay, so now the people who wanted to drop him are credited with his 100 at Cardiff! Fantastic! :)

I may be wrong, but I don't think most of the fans here are lurking to say "See I said it before" or "See I was right" or trying to get credit.

I hope you would understand, that these drop X or drop Y is comming from their genuine concern for their beloved team.

Therefore yes evey one was happy the way Ash came back... but getting credit.... I guess only Ash should get credit... no one else not even you:lol:

Edited on, March 2, 2006, 1:03 AM GMT, by Fazal.

SMHasan
March 1, 2006, 08:07 PM
Its too early to judge the greatest one my friend. But none of you mentioned Akram khan who played an life saving innings for bangladesh at sugui bolo in the icc trophy '97. Had he not played that innings we might not see our boys playing test cricket now.

Its really sad that everyone seems to forget him .But its true that every aspect of his batting was not perfect specially his footwork, but he played some good innings as well.

To tell in a word few ex cricketer played few important innings for us in past but still we need time to find the best one.

Sham
March 1, 2006, 08:13 PM
Dont worry mate, I'm not all that bothered about getting credit from BC members, not most of them anyway. But I do give credit to our much hated selectors for sticking by our best player when he was having a bad time.

Everytime someone does badly, everyone wants him dropped. You call it a natural reaction but I call it stupidity. Just look at how people are reacting to Mashud's performance right now. So many people want to drop him. As a member of BanglaCricket staff, I can't go around calling members stupid but honestly, what else can you say about such comments? If the selectors had to go by the majority verdict on Banglacricket.com, we would have a completely new team every match because no player would be given a second chance, not even seasoned performers!

Edited on, March 2, 2006, 1:14 AM GMT, by Sham.

AsifTheManRahman
March 1, 2006, 08:16 PM
but I call it stupidity

agreed.:up:

SMHasan
March 1, 2006, 08:19 PM
Dont worry mate, I'm not all that bothered about getting credit from BC members, not most of them anyway. But I do give credit to our much hated selectors for sticking by our best player when he was having a bad time.

Everytime someone does badly, everyone wants him dropped. You call it a natural reaction but I call it stupidity. Just look at how people are reacting to Mashud's performance right now. So many people want to drop him. As a member of BanglaCricket staff, I can't go around calling members stupid but honestly, what else can you say about such comments? If the selectors had to go by the majority verdict on Banglacricket.com, we would have a completely new team every match because no player would be given a second chance, not even seasoned performers!

I agree with you. Mashud isnt playing that bad but for dropping couple of catches everyone started to say to drop him and bring Mushfiq in. Its really bad.You need to stand by the players when they are having bad time.

Fazal
March 1, 2006, 08:33 PM
But Sham why these comments bother you so much if you see a message that is 'stupid' as defined by your standard? Don't you want to open this site for all the Bangladeshi fans and share their happiness and frustration all together?

Why should selector should gauge BC heartbeat before selecting the team? Selector makes team selection based on their own knowledge and judgment and take risk, if it works they are the one who gets credit, if it doesn't they should be the one who will be criticized and sometimes sacked. This is happening in every country.

Now people may go overboard that we need to replace Pilot. But even then there is some truth that Pilot is having some lean time with the bat... that is a concern.

I don't know its getting in different direction....I will stop here.

btw even though I may not agree with you about team selection different time, I always enjoy your and Beamer's different view point. Take care...

Edited on, March 2, 2006, 1:34 AM GMT, by Fazal.

irteja
April 25, 2006, 07:20 AM
according to many people greatest batsman ever played for bangladesh ashraf001 just axed from team...how sad

Thunder
April 25, 2006, 07:46 AM
I think its Akram Khan.. he is the player responsible for winning us against holland which was cucial one-dayer.. i dont know anybody can remember that match but at that day, he fought really hard to take us to the final of the icc and that one innings made the difference for us to play at international level more often. If he didn't play that innings, our team may still be in a position where holland team is in now..:rolleyes:

Omio
April 25, 2006, 07:56 AM
Ohh..
He is the great...........................
And he is AkRAM KHAN

Sovik
April 25, 2006, 08:41 AM
Habibul Bashar Sumon
Minhajul Abedin Nannu
Aminul Islam Bulbul
Akram Khan
Atahar Ali Khan

SMHasan
April 25, 2006, 08:46 AM
There is no great in bd cricket history mate. Lets wait for that day we will find one for sure.

Daddy_Mac
April 25, 2006, 08:46 AM
I used tolike Akram Khan a lot.....:lol:
I think the tall left arm fast baller was a good player ( I can't remember his name)....:(:(
there is no doubt Rafiq and Aminul Islam and thats pretty much it....

Shafin
April 25, 2006, 09:31 AM
He got axed,but still he is the greatest in ODI,for test,it's Basher.

fwullah
April 25, 2006, 09:56 AM
I agree with you. Mashud isnt playing that bad but for dropping couple of catches everyone started to say to drop him and bring Mushfiq in. Its really bad.You need to stand by the players when they are having bad time.
To be honest, I was the one thinking in that line - dropping Pilot and bringing in Mushfiq. However, watching Mushfiq play in that one test match vs. SL, I had to change my mind. I haven't yet forgotten his or Hannan Sarkar or Alok Kapali's smiles when they were all playing their first few matches.

Baundule
April 25, 2006, 10:12 AM
Man, ar you kidding? ;)
Even there is no great batsman among the BD players of all time! Why asking for the greatest????

If you go for the best, I would say, it's still hard to pick. All of them are just average and very very close. Atahar, Akram, Bulbul, Nannu...the recent pasts and the current bunch like Ashraful, Bashar etc. are no where near to be termed as great.

cricket_pagla
April 25, 2006, 10:41 AM
if i hav 2 say.. ne grt batsman.. itz... Habibul Basher... hes test score says dat!...

but i think... grtst eva.. BD plya.. NO ONE... cuz.. GREATEST is not a ez word!..

User Name
April 25, 2006, 11:01 AM
mohammad ashraful

cricket_pagla
April 25, 2006, 12:17 PM
itz... non oder den... me... ;)

ammark
April 25, 2006, 02:49 PM
============= Aminul Islam Bulbul===============

reyme
April 25, 2006, 05:06 PM

Everytime someone does badly, everyone wants him dropped. You call it a natural reaction but I call it stupidity.

Tell me what are you going to 'call' about dropping Ashraful now? Stupidity of the selectors? Natural reaction might sound a knee jerk reaction to you, but you cant control the natural phenomenon. He was destined to get dropped, and that is exactly what happened. Continuously playing a out of form playing who lost all his confidence might still sound wise to some I guess, since some people will still play him even he hits 5 ducks in a row!! Good one. Lets destroy his career altogether.

cricket_pagol
April 25, 2006, 05:15 PM
Ashraful has been inconsistent, but he produced many brilliant match winning performances which other bangladeshi batsmen has never produced.

reyme
April 25, 2006, 05:36 PM
Monjurul Islam Rana!

He must be, for most of our wise members wanted to pick him in place of Ashraful for the match against Australia at Cardiff. Go down the page and read what Mr Reyme had to say, something about Ashraful being a burden on the team?

Dont make fun of him. When the time was bad, MIR was tried pretty much at all the batting slots in the team in rescue for the other talented batsman. He came as a tail ender, as a middle order batsman and even opened for the team. Why? Why not, as Dav said Rana always did and delivered what he was asked to do. Dont believe he never delivered? Rana holds one of the highest partnership record in the 2nd innings

120 Manjural Islam Rana (http://usa.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/player/55991.html) & Habibul Bashar (http://usa.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/player/55906.html) Kingston (http://usa.cricinfo.com/westindies/content/ground/59458.html) 2004 (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004/BDESH_IN_WI/SCORECARDS/BDESH_WI_T2_04-08JUN2004.html)

Look what Ashraful did in the recently concluded test series? If he could have played some sensible innings there was a very good chance that BD would have at least drawn the 1st test. Look at how hard Rajin and Pilot tried to stick around, as contrary to how easily Ash gave the wicket away. If this is not considered as a burden then what does? When I made my comment about Ash being a burden just go back to the last few matches and you will know why.

Ash had a century at Cardiff, thats fine. He could have done much worse has he not been dropped 3 times in that match. But for the sake of that century keeping him in the team at any cost, no matter how poorly he performs, is NOT wise to say the least. Its good that there are some sensible people around, who will not play him, even after 5 ducks.

reyme
April 25, 2006, 05:41 PM
Ashraful has been inconsistent, but he produced many brilliant match winning performances which other bangladeshi batsmen has never produced.

Forget MANY, just name 3. :lol:

Sauron
April 25, 2006, 05:43 PM
On a light joking note - Bashar and Bulbul.

On a very serious note - Chacha

Bancan
April 25, 2006, 06:00 PM
keo naaaaa. no one. there isnt any great players in bd. only average - good players. so wait for some more time then talk abt the greatest bd player.

shamster
April 25, 2006, 06:06 PM
Rafique when you think long and hard lol

Bancan
April 25, 2006, 06:10 PM
Rafique when you think long and hard lol
actually u no wat, he is the only great player in the team. :flag: :up: .

SMHasan
April 25, 2006, 08:03 PM
actually u no wat, he is the only great player in the team. :flag: :up: .

I dont know about the greatest player of Bangladesh but what I know is that Rafiqe is a fighter and the most hard working natural cricketer in our team. 'Rafiqs' do not borne in every era. I always believe when Rafiqe is playing something can happen anytime especially when he is bowling.

Locutus
April 25, 2006, 09:53 PM
Greatest Batsman.

Well.... Looking at the stats, Habibul Basher. Important part of Bangladesh Cricketing history would be: Athar Ali, Aminul Islam, Minhajul Abedin, Rafique.
BUT BEST BATSMAN, without a question, Habibul Basher. Look at his stats.

bye the way. Are you serious when some are saying that Hannan Sharker, and Alok Kapali is the greatest batsman for BD????????

syedmahm
April 26, 2006, 02:22 AM
Habibul Bashar Sumon
Minhajul Abedin Nannu
Aminul Islam Bulbul
Akram Khan
Atahar Ali Khan

Quite sensible.

Shakalaka
April 26, 2006, 06:33 AM
Bashar. hands down. bulbul from past.