PDA

View Full Version : Bashar's captaincy

sraabon
March 1, 2006, 02:22 PM
How much longer will we have to have dumb captain like Bashar?

AKram's column:

"I think his Bangladesh counterpart Habibul Bashar was also responsible for failing to hit the visitors hard when they were in a dicey situation. His negative captaincy was another reason behind Bangladesh's failure to keep the pressure on the opponents. Bashar was little bit negative before and after the tea session when his team was in a very good position following the departures of Sri Lankans top batsmen."

http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/03/02/d60302040326.htm

Can others shed more light on his captaincy lately as I am not really keeping up as closely? His post match comments are horrendous as well. Is there any replacement in sight? Shouldn't we have Shahriar Nafees as the VC to sort of take the job after him as the captain in waiting? Its a waste to have Mashud in that role as he will never be made captain after his escapades from the last time around where he was the captain.

sadi
March 1, 2006, 02:26 PM
Bashars captaincy has improved a lot but still far from being okay.... He needs to be a lot more positive.... I don't think they will give vice captaincy to shahriar nafees that soon... he is yet to cemented his place in the team.... he will be a good option though no question about it....

yaseer
March 1, 2006, 02:42 PM
Bashar is a reactive captain......not a pro-active captain.

He will have a slip after a ball passes through a slip....he cant think by reading the situation that he needs a slip. moreover he takes his decisions early in the dressing room and do not change it afterwards according to the match situation.

But the most important thing here is.........We have no other option.....pailot may be the best option but for past problems it is not possible..............from the available we have to choose bashar........and he is the best available.......

So, we have to accept him and need to give him support and pray n hope that he improves. there is no way out by criticising him and we should not forget he is the most successful ever.

cricman
March 1, 2006, 03:02 PM
Should rename the thread to Wasim's Inswinger to Bashar, get a few more people looking at the thread

Bat-PadTogether
March 1, 2006, 04:28 PM
I never like the way Bashar sets the fielding.The best way for a captain to communcate with his bowler is to keep himself some where in the area of mid off,min on.midwicket cover etc.

Beamer
March 1, 2006, 04:52 PM
The less that is said about his captaincy is better in my mind. He too often sticks with a bowler who clearly needs a break. He too often lets the opponent settle in with a combination of bowlers operating for too long. He is very much reluctant to use all the options in his hand and when he does it, its often too late, and they bowl not more than a cursory over or two. If we are going with four bowlers at all times, then why not pick an extra batsman? Don't understand him at all. His field placings are way too negative. He has improved a little bit from last year, but, a lot more needs to be done.

aosaif
March 1, 2006, 05:39 PM
Bashar has zero killer instinct. I dunno if he has wisdom or lacks courage. He'll always leave the bowler short by one or two attacking fielders.

Fazal
March 1, 2006, 05:45 PM
Ya I agree with you all.. its all Bashar and Rana's fault.

:sorry: Rana is not playing.

SMHasan
March 1, 2006, 05:54 PM
Does whatmore send any information into the field? I have no idea. The coach and the captain should maintain a good cmmunication all the time. Can you remember the 1999 world cup when Bob Woolmer set an earphone in Hansie's ear? They did it so that they could communicate more efficiently. But whats happening here? Is whatmoore doing something?

Bashar has got few basic problems. One of which is he doesn't change the bowler, have been said by few people.And the big example is- during tour of england Shadat Hossain was bowling constantly from the same end at lords, Bashar didn't tell him o change the end, didn't tell him to go over the wicket leaving round the wicket although England were making runs easily and in a good rate. He didnt change the bowler.

I just gave an example. Bashar... you need to learn a lot.

Mon
March 1, 2006, 06:24 PM
i hope no one is advocating for mohammad Ashraful to take over the reign.
___________________________________________-______
it will be accurate to say that bashar is a bit slow. He hopes for a miracle to happen sometimes. NOt so quick in attcking and taking risks. For this match, i think, it would have been a good idea to let Kapali bowl few more overs instead of heavly relying on Rafiq and enam.

WE have a much better pool of players now. THe inclusion of Nafees iqbal is a big plus for our team as well. We should try to be more aggresive and not so defensive .

:flag:

Edited on, March 1, 2006, 11:42 PM GMT, by Mon.

mshakir56
March 1, 2006, 07:20 PM
The problem with Bashar is that, he needs to learn to make changes when its necessary, and not make the same excuses after every single match.

ASA
March 1, 2006, 07:44 PM
Bashar also needs to compose a captain's knock in the second innings ... an upper 20s - lower 30s score in every game (ODI or test) is not befitting for a captain.

:ninja:

CricTiger
March 1, 2006, 07:48 PM
When the last time he lead the team from the front in test?Damn..I can not remember it .Can you ...

Shakalaka
March 1, 2006, 09:34 PM
Bashar is best for Softball team captain. He is as soft as cotton.

kalimdor
March 1, 2006, 09:45 PM
We are so into change of captaincy.............a little mistake....take him out...get a new one....sort of like buying products and refunding it after a while.....we are still following pakis some how after all these years.......for god sake guys......BD has a good combination........let it be like that ok........we are not the best team in the world.........we make mistakes....plently of mistakes......but captain's mistake just happen to stand out..........give him more time.......he is not doing a terrific job neither terrible one; same as our cricket team......
Name another guy right now who can be the "BEST" captain ........who will not many any mistake.........will be cheered by all.............found any?

Edited on, March 2, 2006, 2:48 AM GMT, by kalimdor.

fwullah
March 1, 2006, 09:56 PM
Can anyone say why Kapali was not bowled more than a single over in the whole day yesterday? Is he injured or something?

I didn't see the scorecard yesterday, when I've seen it today - its amazing how Ashraful can bowl 3 overs in a day and Kapali is not bowled more than 1 over, even though Faruk has been saying that the reason for picking Alok Kapali is because his bowling has improved a lot in this last year in domestic cricket.

thebest
March 1, 2006, 10:00 PM
Though I am not in favor of changing captain, I think Bash need to hear or get some inputs from snr player like JO,Pilot, Rafiq, captains of local team/age group like Ash, SN, NI. If I remeber correctly he never captained any side b4 leading Bangladesh. So I always prepare to give him benefit of doubt. But I was really disappointed abt his captaincy yesterday. Two spinners bowling in tandem, opposition in rope instead of going for kill he took a defensive startegy. A sensible approach would have been crowded the batsman Mahroof with short leg, silly mid on. silly mid off, slip, leg slip. As both bowlers ball go away from the batsman put a long off and long on. Then bowler should have given flight. Invite the batsman to hit with/againest the spin. May be he would have concede 2/3 sixes but get Mahroof much earlier. By the way, why Alok was not bowling. If he has no faith on him, he should tell the selectors. Virtually we are playing with 10 men. Selectors/manager claiming he is a bowling all rounder, we got he is a player who could bat decently for a club team.

reyme
March 1, 2006, 11:43 PM
We need a Captain's coach.

The other alternative is to make someone else the captain. Automatic choice would be Alok Kapali., since his position has been cemented already.;)

Fortuner
March 2, 2006, 12:45 AM
One Sentence always came in my mind thinking about Bashar...He is lazy or a bit lazy..dont mean to b rude but the way he is in the field seems he is lazy.

His bowdy language sucks in the field...

Cant wait to see Shariar Nafees being the Captain after some years as he is got the killer instinct and as mentioned by our former u19 coach Richard McInness he is goin to be future Bangladesh captain...

rafiq
March 2, 2006, 01:55 AM
I think Alok Kapali is to blame for any issues with Bashar's captaincy. It's Alok's fault that Bashar doesn't rotate bowlers that well, or use all his available options. Alok's bowling average is always on the back of Bashar's mind when he is on the field - it's a distraction. If Alok were dropped, Bashar would suddenly display that killer instinct he's been missing.

RazabQ
March 2, 2006, 02:13 AM
rafiq, be careful. Most members of BC are quite the sarcasm-challenged, and will start flaming you.

RazabQ
March 2, 2006, 02:14 AM
BTW, I thought Bashar was very nurturing of Shahadat when he started the day off with a good heart-to-heart

Fazal
March 2, 2006, 02:28 AM
Ya only alok fans are sarcasm proof I guess and the other are dumb a[][].... thats what every body thinks ... but the world is not that simple.

I guess its ok to question Bashar when Alok is not utilized, its ok to suggest to include Aftab replacing Nafis (as opener) instead of Alok ... but its a NO NO whenm people question Alok's inclusion in the TEST or to point out bowling stat in TEST.

First Alok as Batsman ... then as bowler ... then what? as wicket keeper? .... still we need Alok in the team ... right?

Edited on, March 2, 2006, 7:46 AM GMT, by Fazal.

shaoun
March 2, 2006, 02:32 AM
the fact is we dont have any other option then bashar. the team is improving under him. (although whatmore gets more credit). pilot was tried and we all know how that turned out to be. i dont consider rafique a prospect because he gets into problems with team mates and others time to time. rajin captained also and that didnt turn out to be good. i am sure no one here would want javed to captain the team. and the rest are too young. masrafee plays only half the match and other half he is rested or injured. alok may get dropped again because although his odi bowling performance was ok he didnt do anything with the bat. ashraful shouldnt be captain he is only 21. we dont have anyone else beside bashar. bashar has been leading the team over 2 yrs and i dont think bcb will change him any time soon. although some of his moves i dont agree with i think he is improving as a captain.

shaoun
March 2, 2006, 02:52 AM
alok had more then enough chance a year ago. al shariar hannan didnt get even quarter of that chance.