PDA

View Full Version : Daily Star Rips Umpires

cricman
March 2, 2006, 02:25 PM
Daily Star (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/03/03/d60303040231.htm)

If the Test match at Chittagong is being played in a competitive spirit, the standard of umpiring during Bangladesh's second innings has been at best diabolique; apologies to the French for borrowing their word to explain a phenomenon called cricket.

On the third and crucial day, poor decisions, not seen or acceptable even in domestic cricket, by umpires flown in from thousands of miles away have all gone the Sri Lankan way. Is it the fate of any Test babes against a team superior on paper?

The cases in point:

Javed Omer leaped to defend a riser, rapped high on the pad. Given lbw.

Khaled Mashud ball did not touch either the glove or the bat. Given out caught.

Kapali ball pitched outside the line of off stump and turning slightly away. Given lbw.

Words like controversial and unfortunate for Khaled Mashud's dismissal and unlucky for Kapali's from the TV commentators do not help the cause of Bangladesh, whose present mission is to justify ICC's decision to grant them the Test status.

A team in Bangladesh's position, already successful to a great extent in proving the likes of Richie Benaud, Shane Warne, Javed Miandad and Ian Botham wrong, can be badly affected by such poor decisions, all going against them. Those critics want "to kick Bangladesh out of top-level cricket" and we have asked them to keep their "hands off our Test status". (Daily Star Sport, 2 June 2005)

One would have assumed that the verbal abuse to a lonely batsman by fielder or bowler, as introduced by Australian and English cricketers had seen its day. But the Sri Lankans can be heard loud on the telly. Their body and verbal language gives the impression that they perhaps cannot accept the cricketing progress of Bangladesh, a team they used to bowl out for less than a hundred runs only the other day.

The Sri Lankans have complained against Bangladesh pacer Shahdat Hossain's "peculiar noise" when bowling (DS 2 March). These very Sri Lankans are making more than their share of strange noises when a local batsman is out there. Who will complain against them? I believe we have a captain, a manager and a coach.

With the benefit of camera replay not available to them, the two lbw decisions may be overlooked but in the spirit of the game and for the millions of children watching cricket for inspiration, the Sri Lankan fielders should have called Khaled Mashud back, as should have the leg umpire Steve Bucknor. With due credit to all his previous 999 victims, the "controversial and unfortunate" wicket must have robbed Murali of the pleasure of reaching a landmark no other man has ever touched.

Umpire Asad Rauf, responsible for injustice to Khaled Mashud, it seemed wanted to take the credit of putting his finger up when the world's most successful bowler claimed his thousandth scalp. That comedy reminds me of a goalkeeper, who had 1000 printed on the vest under his jersey in a match against legendary footballer Pele. The goalkeeper took his jersey off when Pele scored his thousandth goal.

betaar
March 2, 2006, 02:32 PM
Very well written and true in every sense.

Ahsan
March 2, 2006, 02:33 PM
can we, the fans, send a petition to ICC regarding the bad umpiring against BD all the time.:mad::mad::mad:

DJ Sahastra
March 2, 2006, 02:38 PM
My heart goes to the BD team.

Damn, this sucks.

:mad::E:mad:

oracle
March 2, 2006, 02:40 PM
Sorry. I just feel the above is too partial/biased. What I mean is that being a prime English Daily I expect quality analysis that probes all the aspect of our innings. The journalist is narrowing in on one aspect that did not decide the day. Where is questions about Bashar's captaincy; how our batsmen handled the spinners( not justr Murali . This is knee jerk reaction . Here at BC, we have raised better arguments and probed the causes better.

babubangla
March 2, 2006, 02:41 PM
Khaled Masud out from a fake-catch !!!
Nature sometimes takes revenge indeed !!!!!

AsifTheManRahman
March 2, 2006, 03:17 PM
pardon my language, but what the eff was that?

poor journalism at its best; this guy doesn't deserve to be anything better than a childish poster on a cricket forum who gets bashed left and right by other members for talking rubbish!

reyme
March 2, 2006, 03:26 PM
Thats why I always advocated for an umpire free cricket. Let the technology take over. Sounds silly, but it will immensly help out BD. Even BD umpires give wrong decisions against BD all the time, specially when there was a LOUD SHOUT.

What do these umpires do anyways? Count balls, thats it. Most outs are obvious anyways like bolwed, catch, run outs etc. There are no need for these pathetic (but biased) umpires just to count balls, call the TV umpire and give WRONG decisions. So in general they just ruin the game.

It takes just 1 bad decision to change the game. If it was not for several contrversila decisions yesterday, this game would be evenly poised by now....sad indeed.

Thats why I started to like GOLF.

alias
March 2, 2006, 03:31 PM
the tradition continues... anytime we perform bad all the blames are directed towards the umps. Just like in football - "Refari didn't give us three confirm plantic"

reyme
March 2, 2006, 03:44 PM
Yes, its all umpires fault, atleast so far in this series. I mean how many times they can go wrong? Please name 1 good decision, other than the obvious ones.

They need to get their act together, or let the technology take over. Sunbathing in the middle and putting up all those sunscreen in the face
:mad:

gravitY
March 2, 2006, 06:56 PM
I felt Srilankan players appealing too much, and creating pressure to the umpire, which doesn't comply with the spirit of cricket.

We've seen quite a few bad decisions, some of those are even worst to explain. Unfortunately most of them went against us and more imortantly at the crucial stage of the match.

When two batsmen bat out in the middle, and one of them has to depart just because of a bad decision, it breaks the rythm, concentration everything that a batsman put together.

I honestly think ICC need to review these decisions and upires who make those, once in a while than never. It is very important for a cricket team like us to get proper judgement by the umpire, coz we're in a growing stage.

We do not expect any favor of any sort whatsoever from the umpire, but WE DEMAND JUSTICE.

Edited on, March 3, 2006, 12:02 AM GMT, by gravitY.

zmahbub
March 2, 2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by babubangla
Wasn't a fake catch, the catch was perfect but it never touched his bat or gloves!!! :umm:

zmahbub
March 2, 2006, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
pardon my language, but what the eff was that?

poor journalism at its best; this guy doesn't deserve to be anything better than a childish poster on a cricket forum who gets bashed left and right by other members for talking rubbish!

You go and write a good one for us!

Ishtylish cricketer
March 2, 2006, 07:44 PM
Yeah guys umps will make mistake you gotta live by them. They should use their bat so it doesn't hit the bat and secondly they should get beaten so often by the turn because often that's what creates bat and pad or lbw. As for Gulla i feel bad for him because he was doing well...

shovon13
March 2, 2006, 09:29 PM
quit being judgmental asif. the guy is focusing on one aspect of the game. this goes out to you too, oracle. his article is merely drawing attention to the poor umpiring in this test, which in fact WAS very poor. and as a journalist he felt he should shed some light on it. i'm sure there were more articles written about other aspects of the match in the same newspaper.

and all of you quit trying to be so goody goody. there is nothing wrong with pointing fingers at umpires when they mess up, as long as you dont use that as an excuse for your own failure. you're not gonna get a prize for not complaining.

p.s. a rift has been growing on this board, with many board members separating themselves from the 'new' crowd. (i think one member referred to them as biplobs from patuakhali) apparently most of these new guys are too 'stupid' for them. RESPECT EVERYONE, please.

Fazal
March 2, 2006, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by shovon13
p.s. a rift has been growing on this board, with many board members separating themselves from the 'new' crowd. (i think one member referred to them as biplobs from patuakhali) apparently most of these new guys are too 'stupid' for them. RESPECT EVERYONE, please.

Hmmmm ... Interesting observation shovon13. I was also suspecting something is going on between old guards and new bloods. And the words like ‘stupid’, ‘stupidity’ are flying more often than before to hit someone below the belt. Thanks for pointing it out.

oracle
March 2, 2006, 11:57 PM
Sorry. I just feel the above is too partial/biased. What I mean is that being a prime English Daily I expect quality analysis that probes all the aspect of our innings. The journalist is narrowing in on one aspect that did not decide the day. Where is questions about Bashar's captaincy; how our batsmen handled the spinners( not justr Murali . This is knee jerk reaction . Here at BC, we have raised better arguments and probed the causes better.

Guys, show me where the word stupid is inserted in my post. As a moderator I will never do that to fellow members.

I maintain that the DS article is below par for reasons given above . And that is my opinion, Thank you gentlemen.:)

Ahmed_B
March 3, 2006, 12:15 AM
Umpiring has been very poor in both the ODI & TEST series so far and decisions gone both BD's way and SL's way on different occassions. If you want to write about bad umpiring... you should write about both sides of the story. Only then it can be judged as a 'good journalism'. Reports of this sort with 'one-sided-bias' only sound like 'I couldnt dance well because the stage was broken'! :cool:

mona
March 3, 2006, 12:34 AM
I agree that the article is childish (eg. point about Rauf wanting to be the one to give Murali his 1000th..wtf) but it's still going to have people nodding their heads, and isn't that considered to be 'good journalism' these days?

Though I must say I'm bloody sick of seeing these bad decisions against Bangladesh. It seems like we have problems with them every series and that sucks.

hkooraham
March 3, 2006, 05:44 AM
I think the article is balderdash. It is just the opinion of a cricket fan, not a journalist looking at things independently and objectively. It is completely biased. It does not talk of any decision that went against Sri Lanka. There is no reason for Steve Bucknor-ji or Asad Rauf-ji to favour Sri Lanka. If Asad-ji, a Pakistani, were biased, I would expect him to favour Bangladesh, since Pakistan and Bangladesh have so many links / similarities.

As for Sri Lankan fielders recalling batsmen, you can extend the same to Bangladeshi fielders too. In this sense Pilot-ji was both a perpetrator and a victim - serves him right, doesn't it ?

As for sleding, yes Sangha sledges. What about Ashraful-ji shouting like a bus boy ? Is it good because he is a Bangladeshi ? And all this sledging happens in between balls, not while a ball is being delivered. Shahadat's grunting is at the point of delivery, when the concentration of the batter should be at the utmost ! So it is right to complain against the grunts.

The Bangladeshis (at least Mashrafe-ji) were ungraceful after the 2nd ODI. Mash-ji told the press he was happy to see the Sri Lankans unhappy. All rivalry has to be while the game is in progress and during the build up to a game, not soon after winning a game. That is not cricket.

Even in this forum I saw the comments when a Sri Lankan batter bled. Come on, be civilised for heaven's sake.

A fellow Indian has commented here that his heart goes out to Bd. I came here too as I was interested in Bd cricket but these partisan and silly comments really bother me. See, India refused to play Bangladesh recently whereas Sri Lanka has been good enough to play a lot of cricket with Bangladesh with just a few months in between. So Sri Lankans have really been good to Bangla cricket, at least indirectly. Compare this with the attitudes of Mother india and Australia. (On a lighter note, I don't know if Sri Lanka likes to play Bangladesh to improve its ICC ranking as they get beaten by us (India), Pakistan etc. :) )

Sorry about writing this but there has to be a limit to unreasonalbe talk.

When you are defeated take it gracefully. Pick up the pieces and look ahead.

When you win, be graceful. Tomorrow you can be beaten again !

hkooraham
March 3, 2006, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by oracle

Thank you sir, for your unbaised comment.,

hkooraham
March 3, 2006, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by babubangla

Yeh man, dead right.

hkooraham
March 3, 2006, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by mona
I agree that the article is childish (eg. point about Rauf wanting to be the one to give Murali his 1000th..wtf) but it's still going to have people nodding their heads, and isn't that considered to be 'good journalism' these days?

Though I must say I'm bloody sick of seeing these bad decisions against Bangladesh. It seems like we have problems with them every series and that sucks.

I agree with you sir. See, you can support Bangfladesh without souding illogical.

hkooraham
March 3, 2006, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Ahmed_B
Umpiring has been very poor in both the ODI & TEST series so far and decisions gone both BD's way and SL's way on different occassions. If you want to write about bad umpiring... you should write about both sides of the story. Only then it can be judged as a 'good journalism'. Reports of this sort with 'one-sided-bias' only sound like 'I couldnt dance well because the stage was broken'! :cool:

Absolutely sir.

Bangladesh should stop complaining about everything including cowwas flying above the pitch and look into how to avoid these frequent defeats in test cricket. The talent is their but it is not clicking together. Look into that. Forget the umpires, Sangakkara and the others you complain about.

hkooraham
March 3, 2006, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by alias
the tradition continues... anytime we perform bad all the blames are directed towards the umps. Just like in football - "Refari didn't give us three confirm plantic"

Well said, master !

mshakir56
March 3, 2006, 08:26 AM
so why didn't the BCB complain about the bad decisions to ICC? is it because they don't know how to speak english or is it because they don't beleive in themself? It has to be one or the other.

thebest
March 3, 2006, 09:04 AM
I support the view. Though I do not agree with evrything. Some of them simply childish. But DS did the right thing. You have to take stand and start some where to express our view. Are not we applauding Ash for his gibberish ( for god's sake those are not sleding but still a start).I think we get poor decisions from umps because our papers are not vocal. i doubt there would be so many wrong /unfair decision in Ind-Eng series. The reason the papers of these two countries would simply destroy the career of the umpires. Along with this two, Aus always get the benefit of umps decesion because these 3 countries media is so much vocal.

Tigers_eye
March 3, 2006, 10:09 AM
Cricket Bangladesh knows umpiring wasn't the reason they lost the match. If the umpiring decision went for BD in the match would roll to a fifth day perhaps. instead of 163 SL had to chase 250 at most. So there is no reason for complaining to ICC. But they can petition to ICC with the SL side (together) that umpiring in BD games has detoriated and both sides are unhappy. ICC needs to send better Umpires for future BD fixtures.

Edited on, March 3, 2006, 3:11 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.

sar2005
March 3, 2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
Cricket Bangladesh knows umpiring wasn't the reason they lost the match. If the umpiring decision went for BD in the match would roll to a fifth day perhaps. instead of 163 SL had to chase 250 at most. So there is no reason for complaining to ICC. But they can petition to ICC with the SL side (together) that umpiring in BD games has detoriated and both sides are unhappy. ICC needs to send better Umpires for future BD fixtures.

Completely agree. A strong team actually can return from a bad decision. But it is tough for the weaker one. Looking into the list of those bad decisions, most of them were made by umpires like De silva, Hariharan, Rouf etc. ....
Can not we expect 2 best umpires together run BD matches?

khalifa
March 3, 2006, 12:25 PM
"Completely agree. A strong team actually can return from a bad decision. But it is tough for the weaker one. Looking into the list of those bad decisions, most of them were made by umpires like De silva, Hariharan, Rouf etc. ....
Can not we expect 2 best umpires together run BD matches? "

This is spot-on. Umpiring has always been an issue since the beginning of time, but it seems like majority of the wrong decisions have been awarded against BD in their nascent test history. And, we may not agree with each sengle issue in this article, but we all should relate to the general tone of this. Of course, if you didn't take the sole responsibity to bash BD cricket team as did our fellow member 'hkooraham'
;)

pagol-chagol
March 3, 2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
If the umpiring decision went for BD in the match would roll to a fifth day perhaps. instead of 163 SL had to chase 250 at most. So there is no reason for complaining to ICC.

Chasing 250 and chaing 163 are totally different things.

The pressure on the batsmen,
the bowlers confidence,
the fielders body language,
the further deterioration of the pitch
and many other intangibles

would make it a totally different game.

Its time for us to complain with a statistical analysis of how many outs given against us were wrong and how many outs given against our opponents were wrong. Make it on percentage basis. If its too much work we can just check a few serieses or limit to one year or something.

Its much harder to run uphill and the wind is against you.

sadi
March 3, 2006, 02:52 PM
ICC always send crapy umpires to do the umpiring when Bangladesh plays... Its nothing new..... I am not saying Bangladesh would have won the game if they got the all the decision right but I am tired of seeing most of the wrong decisions going against Bangladesh