PDA

View Full Version : Well done Bangladesh !

abherath
March 3, 2006, 02:05 AM
Well done Bangladesh. In spite of the loss today, there were a lot of good signs for Bangladesh in this match and the ODI series too.

Ashraful is clearly world class. I am sure he will do extremely well against the Australians too. The only thing about him is that he needs to be advised to concentrate on his game at all times so that his high scores would not be followed by a string of low scores. Anyway, he is easily one of the most talented batsmen on earth, a real gem.

Rafique was simply great and showed that he is no respecter of names. He sure gives a lot of moral support to the young players by his mere presence.

Shahadat Hossain was a revelation. Shahadat, Mortaza and Rasel could be a good pace attack, especially on tours to countries like England, Australia and South Africa.

I am also happy for Sri Lanka who fought back to win the game. We in Sri Lanka enjoy the cricket in Bangladesh as there is a real challenge this time.

Sauron
March 3, 2006, 02:08 AM
Thanks for scratching off the scab with your patronizing kudos. Just when I thought the healing began ...

mshakir56
March 3, 2006, 02:10 AM
Yes, there were some clear improvements, but not enough talent I guess.

gravitY
March 3, 2006, 03:38 AM
Sure there are improvements, but they lost a great chance to make a history.

I'm disappointed.

abherath
March 3, 2006, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by Sauron
Thanks for scratching off the scab with your patronizing kudos. Just when I thought the healing began ...

:)

I don't think there's any room for that ("patronizing kudos") now as Bangladesh has already beaten Sri Lanka in an ODI on this tour.

My hope for Sri Lanka for the second test is that we bat first and put up a huge score. Any other scenario could put Sri Lanka under pressure and with the Bangladeshi spinners doing well, there could be a historic win for Bangadesh !

Even today, there was the danger of the pitch taking spin and some wickets falling sending the Sri Lankan middle order into panic.

I thought the Sri Lankans went about reaching the target very professionally.

abherath
March 3, 2006, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by mshakir56
Yes, there were some clear improvements, but not enough talent I guess.

There is too much dependance on one batsman, Ashraful. It was evident in the Man of the Match award. Ash rightfully got it but his century did not work for Bangladesh as the others could not contribute with the bat. Bowling and fielding-wise the team is pretty good. What is required now is for a couple of other batters to be consistent. Bashar not being able to do much was due to the odd silly shot he plays; otherwise he is an international class batsman.

PoorFan
March 3, 2006, 04:42 AM
Bottom line is BD players cant hold on their concentration long enough to do the job done. They often get lost in their mind in the middle of their job by situation wise. Win will never come until they learn how to keep concentration on their job every moment during the test. For example, Sri Lankan Vandort was so shaky in second innings same as Javed and Nafis, but yet he did his job done, when almost none of BD's batsman was able to do, except Ash. This attitude is making huge difference at the end of each test we play. Bad decision will happen in every test but that's not the core reason we lose test so easily.

Mohiul
March 3, 2006, 08:47 AM
It's a past now and our guys will not forget to get some good lessons out of it.

Tigers_eye
March 3, 2006, 10:21 AM
Ashraful is talented no doubt. handling the best spinner in the world is no small feat.
The Man of the match should have gone to Murali. He changed the match in one session. And his 1000 wickets achievement.

Anyways, he will take the Man of the series honors.

Bangladesh still has a long way to go. They are still learning on the job. Unlike SL or Zim where they were ready and playing longer version of the games for years before getting into test. This is only our second year of 4 day matches in the domestic cricket. We will produce test calibre batsmen from our domestic cricket. Even if the stardard is low, they will hold their ground in the near future. This is process of cultivating players to curve majestic shots, and play a conservative game.

Edited on, March 3, 2006, 3:22 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.

robchd1
March 3, 2006, 11:36 AM
I thought the Sri Lankans went about reaching the target very professionally. [/quote]

hey ppl. overall i thought that even though the lankans won, i'd give credit to the tigers for putting up one of the best performances in our test history.

HOWEVER as far as test cricket is concerned i'd say that it was 4 days of pure rubbish. by the players and the umpires. the tigers played their usual 'one day' style game and the lankans did no more.. infact i'd say they were showing less characters than the deshis.

the tigers had a great opportunity to put up a bigger score with ash flying high. but they failed. the lankans followed them with poor impatient batting. bd bowlers did do a good job but faded towards the end. i'd say that bashar should have taken some hard coffee during tea break.. would have kept him awake in the field at the most!

third day.. once again bd boys letting it go. i wouldnt give much credit to lanka's bowlers. not fernando at least, although he was the one breaking the bd top order. the most credit goes to the umpires. Sir Rauf was the perfact example of umpires slacking in the middle. total immaturity!
yes bd could have scored more runs but then as i sed earlier.. they werent 'test cricket' enough!

and the lankans being professional at their batting in the 2nd innings?? well i am sorry but if i didnt see it wrong.. how many times was micheal dude lucky not to be out? i dont think the middle order and the later batsmen they have were capable of finishing the game with such authority!

anyways.. apart from bd showing some gd signs.. both teams when u look at through test standards.. were not professional enough! now the lankans could be spared some thoughts since this team is reletively inexperienced and young. as for the tigers... i think its abt time that ICC suspends our test status to give us some time to mature. and these test defeats also lower our one day performances! so we should focus on our one day games more and through the process build a stronger and more matured test squad!

sorry for the long post but since its my first.. had a bit to say!

cheers everyone

Edited on, March 3, 2006, 4:41 PM GMT, by robchd1.

sadi
March 3, 2006, 11:48 AM
I feel like bangladesh did quite well on the field.... definately there are rooms for improvement but we fought hard..... Another 100 runs on the board and the game could have gone either way.... Vandort was lucky atleast 3 times not to get out and I am quite impressed with Bangladesh bowling eventhough we didn't have our main bowler mashrafee...... shahadat and enamul bowled quite beautifully.... I am pretty sure Bangladesh will put up a better show in the second test... by the way, welcome to banglacricket robchd1

6alltheway
March 3, 2006, 11:51 AM
BD done good, im not dissapointed becuase it was a very large imporvment from previous tests.

Cricket46
March 3, 2006, 12:15 PM
No one looking at the title of this thread would realize that a very pessimistic response lies somewhere within. I am talking about the first post of robchd1. When almost everyone is saying that our performance has improved considerably (people differ on degree), you are saying that ICC should have taken our test status away? Wow that is very very disappointing - much more than our test teams performance.

Dhakablues
March 3, 2006, 12:23 PM
No point in discussing what some street cricketer say about Banglaesh test status... :down:

Overall, I must say, I was a bit disspointed. But Bangladesh did well with their Under 21 squad to face Srilanka Test team...

Also, I am surprised that none realized how Enamul turned the ball.. It was astonishing and mezmerizing. Only if we had a big score, things coudlve been different.

Nevertheless, you can tell things are improving, Malinga was faced, Murli was didnt bowl us out within 34 runs, Rajib moaned his way to grab his wickets and Asraful is still delivering his 'Ashar ful'..

Navarene
March 3, 2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by robchd1
i think its abt time that ICC suspends our test status to give us some time to mature.

Well come aboard! Just wonder if youre Boycott's moma in disguise...

robchd1
March 4, 2006, 01:35 AM
just like everyone here.. it'd really be painful to see our test status taken off. but then again i think it'd do a world of good. we need time and space to build ourselves up. and loosing one test after another is just demoralizing.

as for the performance in the last test... just think abt the 1st inning score without that of ash's.. around 180 i'd say? is that a test score? our bowling has been improving since mashrafee and tapash started as duos. no doubt the current attack is of world class with jnr and rafique. but look at the fielding aspect in the test match.. i'm sure if the fielders were more enthusiastic and if bash boy was more agressive in fielding placements..i'm sure the lankans wouldnt have been able to reach the score that they did.

guys.. i know i hit the forum with some pesimistic comments.. but just lookin at our test players..and u compare it with sides like sri lanka (the actual team).. theres a whole lot difference. and the only way we'r gona get our acts together is by building up some real attitude. this didnt happen in the last 2 yrs and i dont see it happening in another 2yrs time.

and my most worries are for the batsmen. our batting needs to be more matured and consistent. and more patient ofcorse!

sadi and navarene: thanx for the worm welcome.
dhakablues: im as patriotic and passionate abt our cricket as u r. and im just puttin up my thoughts up here. nuthin serious. so relax!

Niceman70
March 4, 2006, 01:46 PM
within

2 yrs: Bangladesh will fight till 5th day.

5 yrs: Bangladesh will win almost any game!

abherath
March 6, 2006, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by robchd1

HOWEVER as far as test cricket is concerned i'd say that it was 4 days of pure rubbish. by the players and the umpires. the tigers played their usual 'one day' style game and the lankans did no more.. infact i'd say they were showing less characters than the deshis.

and the lankans being professional at their batting in the 2nd innings?? well i am sorry but if i didnt see it wrong.. how many times was micheal dude lucky not to be out? i dont think the middle order and the later batsmen they have were capable of finishing the game with such authority!

Welcome aboard robchd1.

I do think the Sri Lankan batting was all right. Michael Vandort had a hard time with Shahadat bowling really well but he survived and got some 60 runs, showing a lot of character. As for there being chances, that is part and parcel of the game and happens with the best of batsmen.

Also, Sangakkara and Mahela made short work of reaching the target. I think they were being fair by everyone, including the spectators, as the result was obvious and there was no point in keeping everyone waiting.

As for the Sri Lankan middle order, you saw what they did in the first innings, especially Maharoof.

Yes the umpiring left a lot to be desired.

However, I will not call it 4 days of rubbish. There were good performances by both sides. Ashraful's 136, Rafique's typically good bowling, Shahadat Hossain's splendid pace bowling, apart from good performances from several Sri Lankans created a lot of interest in the match. Until day 3, there was a possibility of Bangladesh pulling it off too.

So all in all, it was a good match which definitely showed a lot of improvement in the Tigers.

Edited on, March 6, 2006, 5:54 AM GMT, by abherath.