PDA

View Full Version : Ashraful - Man of the match?

fishyguy
March 3, 2006, 02:47 PM
Isnt it obvious it should be Muralitharan.

Not taking away anything from his first innings hundred but credit should go where crdeits due.

pagol-chagol
March 3, 2006, 02:48 PM
Murali was robbed on his 1000th wicket game. Not fair.

Edited on, March 3, 2006, 7:49 PM GMT, by pagol-chagol.

Dhurr
March 3, 2006, 03:40 PM
yeah, it should be muralitharan. things were pretty even after teh end of srilanka's first innings, but muralitharan made the game completely one-sided when bangladesh came back to bat.

yes, he was robbed.

Cricket46
March 3, 2006, 03:50 PM
I agree. Someone from the losing team can be awarded the MOM, but ONLY if it makes a significant contribution to the course of the match.

RazabQ
March 3, 2006, 04:03 PM
Well perhaps that was a nod by the match referee to the controversial manner in which Murali got some of his glory? I also confess to be somewhat perplexed Murali not getting the MoM.

Mahmood
March 3, 2006, 04:06 PM
Murali deserved the MOM.

Tigers_eye
March 3, 2006, 04:08 PM
He'll get the Man of the series award. :) Murali that is.

SL team has a strategy for Ash. I guess they purposely gave up that honor so that his head gets bigger than what it is now. So the second match would be within 3 days and they can enjoy the rest of the stay here.

sadi
March 3, 2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
He'll get the Man of the series award. :) Murali that is.

SL team has a strategy for Ash. I guess they purposely gave up that honor so that his head gets bigger than what it is now. So the second match would be within 3 days and they can enjoy the rest of the stay here.

lol...... what happens if the plan backfires... ash becomes more confident rather than arrogant and score 2 centuries to win the game for bangladesh!!! Bad strategy.... :P

DJ Sahastra
March 3, 2006, 05:20 PM
I think it was a prize meant to encourage the BD team and players.

Matches Malone
March 3, 2006, 05:28 PM
murli definitely deserved it.

al Furqaan
March 3, 2006, 06:45 PM
ash has shared one with murali b4.

plus...it wasn't a great performance from murali, ash played pretty well.

i would think they should share it.

plus, what does it matter...we get the wrong calls against us, and that costs us the game...then we get the MoM which ultimately means jack s**t.

Cricket46
March 3, 2006, 07:20 PM
Just curious - who was the adjudicator?

mshakir56
March 3, 2006, 09:13 PM
Murali deserved it, yes, but some of the wickets he got are controversial. So in way, it's perfectley safe for Ashraful to receive the MOM award, since there is no controversy over his well earned century.

cricman
March 3, 2006, 09:25 PM
No harm no foul Jayawardene said Ash deserved it, Murali has 23 MOM(thats wihout MOS) compared to 6 to Ashraful.

But i'm tired of ash winning the consolation prizes

Shakalaka
March 3, 2006, 11:35 PM
Grameen Phone gives out this MOM award. So, little less to wonder here...

DotBall
March 4, 2006, 03:29 AM
I am shocked..... Ashraful man-of-the-match?????????

cricket_pagol
March 4, 2006, 03:48 AM
Murali deserved it but Ashraful got it
SL won the game but we put up a pretty good fight
SL favorites for the next game while BD is looking to be competitive
In 2/3 years time
Sl might improve a bit, but Bangladesh will surely improve a lot!

Flipper
March 4, 2006, 09:21 AM
Ash, for the most part, singlehendedly kept us in the match by scoring that century in the first innings.

Then, Maroof scored a half-century and kept Sri Lanka in contention. If you deduct his score from Sri Lanka's innings, the game could have tilted the other way.

In the 2nd Innings Murali took 4 genuine ( +2 gifted) wickets to restrict us to 181, and that is a good effort as well. But, if Ash didn't score that century, the game would have been over in 2 and half days. So Who should be the Man of this Match?

In Conclusion:
There is no rule that MOM has to be from the winning team.
Ash is rightly the Man of the match.
Ash made this match a very competative one all by himself.
Murali and Maroof are the other close contenders.

ps: you guys sometime crack me up.

Fortuner
March 4, 2006, 09:45 AM
Looking at the batsman Murali got the wicket of, One cant say he didn't get real quality batsman there.....

Ashraful played like a Super Hero in his 136 innings. He made Murali look like a average bowler and after all experience wise Ash is way behind Murali...

So, MOM goes to ASH...

CricTiger
March 4, 2006, 10:18 AM
Instead of praising the decision, we are offending it by thinking that this is a wrong one and pretending that we know all the facts. Do we really know the facts behind this decision?

Anyway,congratulations to ASH for becoming MOM. You deserve it.

Edited on, March 4, 2006, 3:19 PM GMT, by CricTiger.

tanvir_nus
March 4, 2006, 10:23 AM
wow... a bangladeshi has won a MOM and so many people instead of praising it are shocked...hmm.... no comments!

fishyguy
March 4, 2006, 10:31 AM
Its about fairness not whether its a Bengali or not. Thats a really bad at attitude in my opinion.

The man of the match should go to that person who had the biggest impact in the match. Ashraful's innings was a face saving one not a match winning one where as Murali's was a destructive match winning performance where he bowled us out of the game.

Whether they were controversial or not dosen't matter and shouldn't matter. Its part of the game happens ALL THE TIME to all teams.

In this case clearly it was Murali.

Flipper
March 4, 2006, 10:39 AM
fishygy,

tell me, wasn't Ash, and only Ash who made this game a competative one? It doesn't really matter who got how many wickets.

fishyguy
March 4, 2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Flipper
fishygy,

tell me, wasn't Ash, and only Ash who made this game a competative one? It doesn't really matter who got how many wickets.

I understand what you're saying.

He did make it competetive for the first innings but only just.
If he had batted Sri Lanka out of the match or had come back in the second innings and had some major impact to push it to a full 4rth day or a 5th day then maybe.

But its not even about Ashraful, its about who had the biggest impact on the match. And in this case Murali decimated us.

If the case was that the Sri lankans all shared the burden of wickets then clearly it should've been Ashraful because in that case he wouldve had the single biggest impact on the match.

It is a test match with 2 innings. It would have been competetive if he'd also come out and had an impact in the second innings.

But that wasnt too be.

Flipper
March 4, 2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra
I think it was a prize meant to encourage the BD team and players.

DJ, I know you are a good friend of Bangladesh Cricket, and so I don't think there is any sarcasm there.

But, this is the problem with our fans. They think it was a "Santona Puroskar", and that's why threads like this pop up because it hurts our ego.

If we dissect the game, we would rather be proud to find out what Ash did to this match.

Edited on, March 4, 2006, 5:42 PM GMT, by Flipper.

abherath
March 5, 2006, 11:16 PM
This thread shows that Bangladeshi fans are not blinded by national bias.

Yes, Murali actually turned the game in Sri Lanka's favour after the teams were level at the end of the 1st innings. Knowing his nature, I think he only wanted Sri Lanka to win, not personal records or awards.

As for Ashraful, he was a lone ranger. When the rest of Bangladeshi batting crumbled around him, he stood firm and did more than his share for his team. 136 is no mean score in test cricket. Wickets falling around him did not deter him. So one cannot complain too much about his winning the MoM award.

Someone mentioned Ashraful's head getting big, perhaps in a lighter vein. Hope you won't mind if I speak my mind but I do feel that he tends to get carried away. I noticed this from comments he had made not only when he had done well but also when he had got out for a silly shot. I think he sure needs some guidance so that he could focus on his duty towards Bangladesh.

In my opinion, someone who really cares for Bangladesh and tries his very best at all times is Mohamed Rafique. The sixes he hit in the 3rd ODI and the test showed his pride in being a Tiger. He is the Bangladeshi player I respect most.

islam
March 5, 2006, 11:55 PM
They are giving bd something, they know bd will not win anything of real significance so a mom award will be all they will get..

BappyHayat
March 6, 2006, 12:44 AM
May be a consolation prize for BD for 2 days of good cricket

Pundit
March 6, 2006, 12:58 AM
Who cares about the MOM ! Ash got his 100 runs and SL won the game. End of story.

And for those of you trying leviate yourselves to a higher morale ground over this insignificant matter, Mr. Murali got his wickets against BD.

[...edited...]

Edited on, March 6, 2006, 1:47 PM GMT, by Ahmed_B.
Reason: mod.content: Language

PoorFan
March 6, 2006, 01:47 AM
Why not???

He was the only vocal player against SL players, while they are batting in first innings, first ever in BD cricket history! NO?!