PDA

View Full Version : What Bangladeshi batting needs is a consistent duo

Dhurr
March 3, 2006, 05:34 PM
Since our very first test, our batting - despite its potential - has come up short time and again. The one attribute you can almost always point to is the lack of consistency in our batting.

Every now and then, some one will go through a good patch, a la Hannan Sarkar during the Australia tour. Habibul Bashar, the captain of the Bangladesh team, used to be the only consistent batsman in the test side. You could depend on him to score at least a half-century in every 2nd or 3rd innings. Bashar has twenty-one 50s and three 100s in 77 test innings; despite his recent lean patch, that's still a fifty-plus score in roughly every three innings.

As of late, Md. Ashraful has been enjoying a great run. Now, the question is, has he really matured and are we going to see a more consistent Ashraful from here on, or is he just going through a good patch like Hannan did in Australia?

I, and I'm sure all Bangladesh cricket fans, hope that it is the former rather than the latter. However, a one-man army is likely to fail more often than not, and so, we need at least one more batsman who is consistent enough to complement Ashraful's efforts.

Unfortunately for us, Habibul Bashar is on the decline; he has given plenty to Bangladesh cricket, but as he's getting older, we cannot expect him to continue to have the same kind of success he had during his earlier test years. Khaled Mashud, another aging star, provided invaluable support in the last test against Sri Lanka. Although he scored only 6 runs in the first innings, he provided invaluable support in a 64-run partnership with Md. Ashraful spanning 108 deliveries. In the second innings, although he scored only 15 runs, he featured in the only 50-run partnership of the Bangladeshi innings. Despite having a long string of these fine performances, Mashud is a lower-middle order batsman who was never the prolific run scorer an Ashraful or a Bashar can be, and is also on the waning end of a long career.

So, what is the outlook for the Bangladeshi team in terms of their batting performance? I would say it is still very bright. Ashraful, in my opinion, has come of age. He is confident, more mature and has adopted a better approach to the game. Bashar and Mashud will still be in the game for a few more years and thus, continue to set examples for the rookies. Aftab and Nafees Iqbal have the potential to be solid contributors to the team, and after the recent successes of the under-19 team, you can only be optimistic about the future of Bangladesh cricket. So, all we need right now is one of the youngsters to learn from Bashar, Mashud and Ashraful, and be more consistent. A pair of Aftab (or Iqbal or whoever) and Ashraful, with the support of Mashud and Bashar, can be just what Bangladesh needs to win its first test against one of the stronger opponents in the test arena.

cricketboy
March 3, 2006, 06:22 PM
The way you are saying Sumon's early test years it seems it was 10 years back. :lol: Ashraful was a flop in both the ENgland series and the previous Srilankan series, so you cant tell he is in good run only becuase of 1 test.

Dhurr
March 3, 2006, 07:58 PM
lol nah, im talking about bashar's decline in the last year or so. he has clearly passed the peak of his career.

as far as ashraful goes, i don't have the stats right now, but from what i can recall, he has a 30+ average in the last year or so. so it's not just one test, or one series. :)

Dhurr
March 3, 2006, 07:59 PM
if i were to compare bashar to anyone, i'd say it's shaq. he's still diesel, but he's not the diesel of old. haha

SS
March 3, 2006, 09:17 PM
Imagine without just one ..ash's innings we are nothing in test cricket...none of our batsmen can score more than 30 runs on average in test...
how long will they do it and does it worth to play test like this ...
where you will find the consistent duo??

Dhurr
March 4, 2006, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by SS
Imagine without just one ..ash's innings we are nothing in test cricket...none of our batsmen can score more than 30 runs on average in test...
how long will they do it and does it worth to play test like this ...
where you will find the consistent duo??

ashbe, ashbe, dhire dhire shobi ashbe.

ashraful er average chilo 20, ekhon hoise 25. kichudin pore bere hobe 30.

notun notun jeishob player ashtese, tader ke ektu time den, dekhben thiki result ashbe.

koi din age to 3 din tikte parlei amra khushi te nachtam. ekhon amra sri lankar shathe one day jitsi, test er dui din haddahaddi lorai korsi, eitai kom kisher? in five years, we'll be in the middle of the pack, if not higher. when the 2011 world cup rolls around, we wont be expecting the team to beat just the associates, we'd expect the team to beat half the test playing nations. mark my word. :D