PDA

View Full Version : Mushfiq may be considered for 2nd Test

Spitfire_x86
March 3, 2006, 10:55 PM
Source: Daily Star (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/03/04/d60304040542.htm)

Sports Reporter from Chittagong

Young wicketkeeper-cum-batsman Mushfiqur Rahim's name will be discussed when the national selectors meet to pick up the final eleven for the second Test against Sri Lanka that begins on Wednesday at Bogra.

If Rahim finally gets the nod to play at his home ground, Alok Kapali will be axed from the team. But it was learnt that there were different opinions among the selectors and the captain about making any changes.

"It is too early to comment on the issue," said chief selector Faruque Ahmed yesterday. He also ruled out any chance of Mashrafee Bin Mortuza returning for the match.

Pace spearhead Mashrafee, who is with the team, is now under rehabilitation programme due to his back pain.

Meanwhile, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka teams will stay a day in Dhaka before leaving for the northern town for the final Test.

An early finish of the first Test in Chittagong has given them the opportunity to enjoy a day's break in the capital during a hectic schedule. Both teams were expected to fly for Dhaka last night.

Two things are confirm now
Mashrafee is not playing
They will leave out Aftab again :E :mad:

Edited on, March 4, 2006, 3:56 AM GMT, by Spitfire_x86.

al Furqaan
March 3, 2006, 11:35 PM
aftab should be in...he's too good not too, though i think he is still not as good in tests as ODIs...but that 82* could happen at any time

as per mushfiq:

many people here are against the practice of debuting 16-17 year olds a la ashraful, mashrafee, aftab. i am also against this barring exceptional circumstances. india debuted tendy at 16 and we did ashraful.

that being said, we are not in the position to need mushy in the XI all the time. therefore, i think that the best way to groom him is include him in 1 or 2 tests per year. that way, we will get his talent when needed (like now) and also he won't be in the pressure like ash et al to perform and also to lead the team all the time.

i vote for mushfiq to get a few caps per year. ideally i would say 2 test caps per 3 series.

cracky
March 3, 2006, 11:41 PM
why don't they bring Mushfiq in place of Nafis Iqbal and Aftab in place of Kapali.

Edited on, March 4, 2006, 4:42 AM GMT, by cracky.

CricTiger
March 3, 2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by al Furqaan
aftab should be in...he's too good not too, though i think he is still not as good in tests as ODIs...but that 82* could happen at any time

Aftab ,like mashrafee was not fully recoverd to play any test yet.So both of them will miss the 2nd test.

arifkhan
March 4, 2006, 12:14 AM
Yea........Aftab should be allowed.........I don know what makes the selector to drop him for the first test........

Rubu
March 4, 2006, 08:51 AM
I get the feeling that they will play the same team in bogra.

:E and :mad: is not enough anymore. BC need some more emoticons to express how I feel.

Flipper
March 4, 2006, 09:45 AM
I don't understand why people want to drop Nafis. Yes, the shots which got him out twice, were outrageous, but I am sure he will learn not to flirt with those balls (hoping).

Nafis is arguably the most technically correct opener, Bangladesh has ever had. He scored the 2nd highest in the first innings, and I would definitely keep him.

Spitfire_x86
March 4, 2006, 01:01 PM
IMO, we are not Australia. They can afford to keep someone like Michael Clarke out of the test team, but we can't do the same thing with Aftab.

ASA
March 4, 2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Flipper
Nafis is arguably the most technically correct opener, Bangladesh has ever had. He scored the 2nd highest in the first innings, and I would definitely keep him.

I agree. The fours that he showed in the first innings were really of class. He has got tremendous style ... and looked pretty stable and patient (as a test match requires) in the beginning.

I am still still confused what prompted him to take those un earthly shots ... :-/ ... the shot at the wide he took in the second innings is absolutely unfit even for an ODI. Hope the coach made him watch those two outs repeatedly ...

Zobair
March 4, 2006, 01:35 PM
Nafis Iqbal has the technique to be an opener. Though some may disagree with me, he has even shown the temperament as well. Sure he got out to 2 terrible shots, but honestly till that moment, he had played sensibly kept out the good balls and punished the bad ones. On another day he could have gotten away with his indiscretions but he didn't. I think we should persevere with him. Contrast that with JO. The man has such poor technique that sometimes I wonder how he still makes it to the team. I know! I know! he is consistent! What would we do without his 10s and 20s?! But the man gives a whole new meaning to "crouching Tiger". Given his stance, I am surprised more teams haven't figured out how to bowl him out for nought every innings. I mean, give him short of length balls angled into his ribs (and occasionall cut away after pitching) and he will fend them off to the slips, short leg, keeper every time. He can't pull the ball for the life of him, and should get out 9 times out of 10 if he tries to. His whole game is geared towards front-foot play. I am sorry, but JO really is not test-class by any stretch of imagination, with emphasis on "class". Its pathetic seeing commentators trying to put a positive spin on it when the ball beats Jo's bat one more time through to the keeper by focusing on his "experience". sigh! He is a one-dimensional player, and its sad that we don't have anyone better to replace him. BTW, no disrespect to the man, he has done his share for Bangladesh Cricket. Its just that its time for him to move on, just like Khaled Mahmud, Akram Khan and company.

Flipper
March 4, 2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah, sad but true that is with JO. BTW, the crouching tiger part was really classic !

Fazal
March 4, 2006, 02:47 PM
This is a quote from a Baltimore Minor league (baseball) player trying to make it to the major league. I believe its also true for cricket ... the quote contradict the commonly misued and overly used idea that "Bringing young players too early will always hurt their career"

Here is the quote:

"When people say you rush prospects, I don't think you can," Fiorentino said. "If a player is going to go up there and it's going to ruin the rest of his career because he had a bad experience, then he's probably not going to make the big leagues, anyway.

"Baseball is all about adjustments. If I can't learn to make the adjustments, I am not going to be able to make the adjustments back in the big leagues, anyway."

roaring tigerz
March 4, 2006, 06:57 PM
Aftab's exlusion from the team is a farce. Our top order folds like ninepins against any quality bowlers, be it pace or spin. Aftab is one of the few batsmen we have, who has the ability to face the best and counter attack. He is definately not a finished material, but in our team who is? He will only learn with experience.
Javed Omar has given Bangladesh cricket a lot, but sadly his time is up. Waching Javed jump and flail at the ball while facing Malinga, exposed his completely incompetent technique.
If Nafis Iqbal's indescretion does not deserve the boot, then our players should start thinking that they really are indispensable.
Ashraful looked like the only one, who has the will and the skills to survive murali. Bashars plight against Bandara was also a big disppointment.

If we fail to come up with an effective measure to counter the spinners, Bogra wont be much different than Chittagong.

reinausagi
March 4, 2006, 09:46 PM
Even JO's die-hard fans have to concede that his technique is not up to par at the test level. One has to admit though that we cannot just replace him without grooming another opener with a 5-day-test opener mentality.

When a watch him play it seems like he is begging to be outscored and overshadowed at the other end- and praying not to have carry the bat through the innings and be the last man standing.

It would be easier to retire the prince of Mohammadpur if the top order would stop hooking, pulling and poking at wide deliveries even Joel Garner would have to strech for.