PDA

View Full Version : CI's Positive Tone:"Bangladesh seem to be no longer the minnows they were"!

Flipper
March 6, 2006, 02:56 PM
I guess this is the Changing time for us, the beginning of a new era!

CI's interview with Jayawardene (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bdeshvsl/content/current/story/239771.html)

-How do you rate the Bangladesh team now - they seem to be a fast-improving outfit and no longer the minnows they were?
-They have some young guys with bags of talent. They also have some spirit. Ashraful is especially talented and he really took the game to us. They have lots of youngsters now coming up and they are improving all the time. They also have some decent structures for junior cricket. They just need to focus on the mental side and their attitude and they can become a competitive international team.

-How are you approaching the second Test?
-We know that Bangladesh will come at us hard again and we must focus completely on our gameplan. We all know what we have to do and we know that we can't take Bangladesh lightly. There are plenty of areas where we can improve and it is essential that we do so. We must make sure we put them under a lot of pressure in the first two days. We are looking to put together a very good performance.

Edited on, March 6, 2006, 7:57 PM GMT, by Flipper.

Tigers_eye
March 6, 2006, 03:21 PM
BD batsmen have the talent but don't have the mental strength.

BD bowlers have the mental strength but don't have the talent.

If we can get the first part corrected we could draw some of these tests.

If we can get the first part partially corrected and get the second one corrected we can win some of these tests.

If we get both corrected we would beat Australia in a test series.

esteban_loaiza
March 6, 2006, 03:38 PM
Even with the bowling that we have now we can win tests, but it is the batting that needs to improve radically if we only want to draw a test.............

Originally posted by Cats_eye

If we can get the first part partially corrected and get the second one corrected we can win some of these tests.

Edited on, March 6, 2006, 8:39 PM GMT, by esteban_loaiza.

mshakir56
March 6, 2006, 04:48 PM
Did you guys notice, where he said that Bangladeshi players need to change their attitudes. Thats actually a insult towards our players.

Tigers_eye
March 6, 2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by mshakir56
Did you guys notice, where he said that Bangladeshi players need to change their attitudes. Thats actually a insult towards our players.
He said what he meant which is 110% true. It can not be an insult in any form or fashion. BD player need to change their attitude in test (batting). Did you not notice how SL opened the 2nd and 3rd ODI? They scored 300+ on the 3rd, where at one point we were thinking if they could get to 220/230 that would be a blessing for SL. We still have lot to learn from these guys in ODI and as well as Test.

When I say, it is not an insult, when he says it is also not an insult. Just the fact.

al Furqaan
March 6, 2006, 05:07 PM
well it depends on what jaya meant by 'attitude'

if it was the arrogance of ash, then it was a jealous insult.

if it was a reference to how BD approaches the game, then it was just as cats_eye said: true.

Fazal
March 6, 2006, 05:08 PM
Ya.. the suggestion that "BD players need to change their attitudes" is not insulting but fact.

What is insulting is the fact that our BD players inability to grasp the fact and rectify their action.... now that is real insulting to the fans and the nations.

We can be patient if they learn from their mistake.... but repeated same mistakes drives us nuts.

Flipper
March 6, 2006, 05:17 PM
I think CI deserve our praises here! We all know how Anand Basu, and Andrew Miller think about us, now the other guys are finally changing their style as well. Here are few more quotes which were already posted before, but I think it's worth posting them again.

Martin Williamson (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/zimvkenya/content/story/239628.html)

What this did show was that these two sides are probably scrapping for 10th and 11th places in the world rankings. The series between Bangladesh and Kenya later this month should confirm that there is now a big and growing gulf between the Bangladeshis and the two African countries.

Dileep Premachandran (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/238744.html)
Those brilliant Bangla boys: Syed Rasel and his bowling mates did the early damage, while Mohammad Ashraful and the ebullient Aftab Ahmad applied the finishing touches with the bat as a passionately supported side sent Bogra and the rest of the country went ballistic with a five-wicket victory over Sri Lanka. With the Under-19s showing real promise, the only way is up for Bangladesh cricket. Their fabulous fans deserve nothing less.

On another note, BBC's tone seems to have been changing! Now they address Sri Lanka as our rivals.

Match report: 3rd ODI (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4739802.stm)

Sri Lanka atoned for their calamitous defeat in Bogra with a 78-run win over Bangladesh in Chittagong for a 2-1 series win over their Asian rivals.

RazabQ
March 6, 2006, 05:54 PM
Two bangla aphorisms count to mind as well a movie line. I'll go with the Bangla ones first as they are G-rated:
সবুরে মেওয়া ফলে৷
আর কটা দিন সবুর কর রসুন বুনেছি৷

As for the 3rd one, it's a classic line from a modern classic delivered by an alltime favorite movie character. I have obviously had to censor the offending bits and added an slight modification :)
Jimmie: I can't believe this is the same team!
The Wolf: Well, let's not start ****** each other's **** just yet.

cover_point
March 6, 2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by esteban_loaiza
Even with the bowling that we have now we can win tests, but it is the batting that needs to improve radically if we only want to draw a test.............

Edited on, March 6, 2006, 8:39 PM GMT, by esteban_loaiza.

Quite agree with you on this. Take Murali out of the equation and your bowling looks better than ours. And yes, batting needs to improve hell of a lot.

Spitfire_x86
March 6, 2006, 09:30 PM
Cricinfo was an enemy of BD cricket only in a few BD fans' imagination. It was our performance which made them say harsh words about our cricket in past.

Flipper
March 6, 2006, 10:20 PM
True, but now we are being treated the way we should have been. What I mean by that is the fact we don't see those comments like, BD is responsible for Kenya, or Taibu is too good for BD etc etc which had nothing to do with BD's performance.

mshakir56
March 6, 2006, 10:37 PM
He said what he meant which is 110% true. It can not be an insult in any form or fashion. BD player need to change their attitude in test (batting). Did you not notice how SL opened the 2nd and 3rd ODI? They scored 300+ on the 3rd, where at one point we were thinking if they could get to 220/230 that would be a blessing for SL. We still have lot to learn from these guys in ODI and as well as Test.

When I say, it is not an insult, when he says it is also not an insult. Just the fact.
Attitude can be expressed different ways. What I think is that When he says Attitude, he meant the behavior problems. Remember they complained about the behavior of our players. I am sure thats exactly what he meant. In this prespective, he actually made an insult. Also please note that Ashraful said, that the Srilankan players were actually mocking him. I hope you will comprehend what I am trying to tell you mr. Cats Eye!

Flipper
March 6, 2006, 10:42 PM
Spitfire, how can I not agree with you? :clap:

Attitude can be expressed different ways. What I think is that When he says Attitude, he meant the behavior problems. Remember they complained about the behavior of our players. I am sure thats exactly what he meant. In this prespective, he actually made an insult. Also please note that Ashraful said, that the Srilankan players were actually mocking him. I hope you will comprehend what I am trying to tell you mr. Cats Eye!

abherath
March 6, 2006, 11:02 PM

It is definitely not an insult.

What Mahela was obviously talking about was 'a winning attitude'. There was a phase (since gaining test status, until early 90s) when Sri Lanka had very good players but they did not have the 'winning temperament / attitude'. This changed when Arjuna Ranatunga took over captaincy. This is what helped us win the World Cup eventually.

Therefore, in Sri Lanka we talk a lot about 'winning' and 'can do' attitudes.

This is not about 'bad attitudes' and bad behaviour.

When you think defensively, even a positive, harmless comment appears something aimed at you !

pagol-chagol
March 6, 2006, 11:16 PM
Actually the misquoted him.

He said, "Bangladeshis have the perfect attitude. They are so mentally strong that they can overcome everything. One day, Srilanka will also become as good as they are."

abherath
March 6, 2006, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by al Furqaan

if it was the arrogance of ash, then it was a jealous insult.

:)

This is preposterous ! Even if Mahela wanted to, how could he say or imply in an interview that Ashraful should change his attitude so that he won't hit centuries against Sri Lanka ? Isn't it commonsense that Mahela wouldn't have meant that ?

With due respect to all of you, I would say that some of you are really going at a tangent. It is like "seeing too many animals behind the bush". If you look at a person with suspicion, everything he says will be misinterpreted or misunderstod by you.

Edited on, March 7, 2006, 4:29 AM GMT, by abherath.
Reason: To avoid being misunderstood like Mahela ! :)

howzatt!
March 7, 2006, 01:07 AM
what jayawardene meant was probably our inability to handle pressure of the 2nd innings and also probably basahar's defensive attitude when we really had them in trouble. this is in no way an insult. actually we should take this as an advice rather than an insult.

al Furqaan
March 7, 2006, 01:19 AM
abherath,

didn't mean any harm...just mentioning a possibility...as in logical possibilites.

like it is possible for me to to bowl 120 mph, but we can rule it out since it is outrageous. but it isn't logically impossible to do that.

anyways, sorry i didn't mean to offend you or anything. i have great respect for you and your civil behaviour on the forum as well as your wonderful contributions to the site.

for some reason, i was thinkin that maybe jaya meant it the same way that hkooraham was sayin that ash shouldn't have acted like a man with a vendetta cuz he got that 100. personally, though i disliked the SL taunting, this is sports, and a certain level of trash talking is not only tolerable but makes the game better. and i think ash responded brilliantly. now had he gone after fans in the stands or after sangu or any other ron artest like action, then it would be beyond what is reasonable.

Edited on, March 7, 2006, 6:23 AM GMT, by al Furqaan.

thebest
March 7, 2006, 02:39 AM
I always want to see glass half full than empty or try giving benefit of doubt instead of giving out. I do not know what was in Jaya's mind, but I would take Abhe's view that he mean winning mentality/attitude, bringing fear to opposition and sustain it. We brought it but could not sustain it.

mshakir56
March 7, 2006, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
Actually the misquoted him.

He said, "Bangladeshis have the perfect attitude. They are so mentally strong that they can overcome everything. One day, Srilanka will also become as good as they are."
They sure did misquote him!