PDA

View Full Version : Is it due to the wickets or something else?

Ahmed_B
March 9, 2006, 06:05 AM
The 2nd test match against SL is almost halfway through.. but it is quite strange that none of the 6 innings played so far went the way as it was predicted prior to the matches.

It was said that both the pitches of the 2 Test matches are favorable to batting and bowlers would not get much help. Even the TV commentators kept saying the thing over and over during the matches. But in none of the innings played so far... we could see a big team-total and these are becoming low-scoring matches already. There are only two possibilities that I see as a reason for this:

1) The pitches were not actually batting pitches and both the pacers and spinners got enough help from it.

2) Interestingly enough, the current SL squad may be in a low batting-form as the BD squad is also. So both the sides having decent bowling strength... actually collapsed in batting due to bad form as a team.

I have a feeling that the 2nd one might be true. In the 1st innings of Test-2, Four SL batsmen already scored below-10. SL squad's batting in the ODI-s also showed signs of that. They even lost 5 wickets to reach the small target placed by BD in the first ODI.

Edited on, March 9, 2006, 11:09 AM GMT, by Ahmed_B.

yaseer
March 9, 2006, 06:18 AM
First of all.....these are not batting pitches like that has been produced in recent IND-PAK series. But still this are batting pitches.

You cannot say this match a totally low scoring match....234 by BD....because they batted poorly in the middle overs......300/8 with one batsmen scoring 150+.....these are decent test totals.

To me.....these are batting pitches because no swings for the quickies (except 1st 5/6 overs) and no quick turn for the spinners and ball is not gripping in the pitch as well, which helps the spinners to get sharp turn....then one can ask...why not enough runs??...there is only one problem...pitches here in Bangladesh are very slow and ball does not come on the bat to play strokes......

Because of the slowness....it is difficult to dominate a bowling side.....and if the batsman keep patience...it is extremely difficult to disloudge him also.

oracle
March 9, 2006, 07:48 AM
.....and if the batsman keep patience...it is extremely difficult to disloudge him also.

Looking at Thuranga, I was thinking the same. The pitch is fine ( sporting), I believe good for both batting and bowling. They did a good job especially the curator Badrul guy.:)

Fortuner
March 9, 2006, 08:05 AM
If Bangladeshi batman cant score and take the lead past 250..a big shame on them..coz the pitch is sporting one...

sar2005
March 9, 2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by lance_klusner
If Bangladeshi batman cant score and take the lead past 250..a big shame on them..coz the pitch is sporting one...

If BD can take a lead of 250, I would say, a) the pitch is batting pitch and b) our bowlers are superb.

sadi
March 9, 2006, 09:37 AM
In order for BD to take a 250 lead, they would have to score around 350.... I seriously doubt they can do it against murali on the third day......

shimraj
March 9, 2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by sadi
In order for BD to take a 250 lead, they would have to score around 350.... I seriously doubt they can do it against murali on the third day......

Even if BD scores 350, 250 lead is not good enough. Sadly, this test series is already decided. I will be happy if our players do not throw away their wickets and stay put as long as they can with some good showing of classic batting and then well balanced bowling.

billah
March 9, 2006, 05:02 PM
The Bogra pitch is harder, with good bounce. That seems to be the main characteristical difference of this track compared to Chittagong. Now, yesterday, it developed cracks already. Normally, on a hard, bouncy pitch, ball comes predictably to the bat. Real quickies can generate good result from it, they unsettle the batsman with fast, hostile action. But a set batsman loves it, since he can really play his shots in that condition, similar to, I think, the South African pitches.

Muralitharan, on the other hand, can move the ball on the flatest of pitches. If the condition is getting worse here, with the cracks & all, our batsmen have to play the spinners with very sound application of techniques. Otherwise, it may be another easy Murali routing.

Tharanga, I think, was lucky to have this pitch during the right time. At the same time, if the degeneration of the pitch continues, It will be tough for Sri Lanka to chase any decent total in the 4th innings.

We are at the crossroads here, today's play will decide the fate...

Honey, where's my Zoloft & Paxil?:P

gravitY
March 9, 2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by sadi

I see no hope at all. i mean... bd batsmen dont need anything to get out... tarpor ache Murali.

Ahmed_B
March 10, 2006, 12:22 AM
Words from the Commentators on 3rd day of Bogra Test:
"absolutely flat bowling track... no help for the bowlers at all. No bounce, no movement... balls keeping very low. Hard work for the bowlers... so a good learning curve for the bowlers on how to get wickets in non-favorable conditions...."

Apart from great bowlers like Murali... I doubt if any other bowler can really trouble a settled batsman on this pitch. Yet.. the Sri-Lankans collapsed for 316 in first innings. Tharanga could only add 3 more runs (163) in the morning and got out.... and this Tharanga innings was supported by atleast 2 lives gifted by BD. Otherwise the Srilankans would have collapsed even earlier.

I say that this SriLankan side has got fair bit of weakness in batting as well. Or else we would have seen atleast one 400+ innings from them in the 3 innings that they played.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 5:25 AM GMT, by Ahmed_B.

rafiq
March 10, 2006, 12:48 AM
These tests with Sri Lanka have helped remove the chaff from the grain in the Bangladesh batting. It's basically Bashar and Ashraful. and then the rest of them are sub-par in maturity, technique and application. Take the second innings. Despite being dismissed off a great delivery, Nafis is just as guilty as Javed and Shhriar Nafees in playing poor shots. Fishing outside the offstump with no footwork, playing trecherous spin on the backfoot, and then being a total numbskull in being dismissed to identical, mistimed slices when trying to hit Murali out of the ground (Shahriar in both tests) - these guys are truly birds of the same feather. They give us no confidence even when they get to scores of 30 or 40 because we know they won't get very far past that.

Bashar and Ashraful are the only two batsmen who are bearable to watch. You know you can get up and go down to the kitchen for a snack, and when you come back these two will likely still be there. With the others, there is no guaranty of when they will head back to the pavillion. Take your eyes of the screen to check incoming mail on a different computer, and suddenly there is a long ad sequence indicating another wicket down.

The lower order is worse if you think about it. Yeah they may be gritty and whatnot and convert a few misstimed hooks and cuts for a few runs, but if we need reargaurd action to save a match, you know you can't trust them. They have done it only once in the Windies and we haven't heard from them since.

I almost wish Aftab was playing, because even though he has little maturity at least he can smack the ball and when set can cause some damage. Watching Mushfiq play spin in the first innings made me want to go hug my son, who incidentally is not much younger that Rahim. It was painful to watch as a parent.

I don't know when we will get a few more batsmen who understand test cricket is not about entertainment but rather about grinding things out. We have too many entertainers and too few cricketers in the batting order.

On the other hand, we have a lot of positive developments in our bowling compared to a few years ago. Shahadat looked threatening throughout the whole match, and it was good to see him so aggressive. If Mashrafee could get himself off the couch or wherever he is, perhaps we would have a decent pace attack. Anyway, we have a core of 4-5 players who can play, someday soon hopefully we can get to 11.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 5:53 AM GMT, by rafiq.