PDA

View Full Version : BD 234 Allout from 153/3 Vs. SL 300+ from 43/4

sar2005
March 9, 2006, 06:18 AM
BD 234 All out from 153/3 Vs. SL 300+ from 43/4. How do you comment on this performance?

Have to say it was a fabulous proffessional batting display from the Srilankans. Where else BD is still learning (any doubt? one has to learn till death). But question is are they really learing how to control a game while bowling? Or how to return from a bad situation while batting?

The bad things for BD in test cricket now a days are -

1. Try to score very fast then give away the wickets
- One has to be slow and steady to perfom regularly in test cricket. How can we make them understand that a test match is a 5 days game?

2. Try to attack too much then give away many cheap runs
- Alright! Attack but depending on the situation. I thought today we gave away so much run to the partnership of MJ and UT while we tried to attack more. There are many examples in world cricket when a set partnership was broken by an occassional bowlers. Why not try it before they come up with a 120+ partnership.

Again, question remains always the same,
ARE WE LEARNING?
Answer could be yes, we are! Here comes the second,
HOW MUCH??
:-/:-/

hkooraham
March 9, 2006, 07:04 AM
Bangladesh is not fully test class yet. Abilty-wise yes but approach-wise no. They need to be playing test cricket for a year or so when they will get all this right. You guys need a good, charismatic captain too.

hkooraham
March 9, 2006, 07:13 AM
The caption says it all. Well written.

Simple. Both Sri Lanka and Bangladesh have the talent.

Only Sri Lanka has the right temperament consistently.

Tigers_eye
March 9, 2006, 08:42 AM
1. is true.
2. is not true. If you have watched the match you could tell Bashar went for the safe route instead of attacking. Even K mahmud commented on that after they had SL 44/4. "This is the time to attack." Fielding placing wasn't right.

Hard to dislodge anyone who don't want to give away wickets and play with patience (In these type of Wickets). That's the thing BD needs to learn.

I am happy with the performance. Much better than the last SL tour. It will take more time. Our batsmen need to have patience so does our fans.

Edited on, March 9, 2006, 1:43 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.

fwullah
March 9, 2006, 08:54 AM
Well, this is exactly why we still lose to Kenya even after we're the 10th test playing country and the Kenyans are the 11th ODI playing country, and the ICC has to give us more ODIs against Kenya and other ICC Associate Nations.

Tigers_eye
March 9, 2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by fwullah
Well, this is exactly why we still lose to Kenya ....
If you ommit the word "still" I can agree with your comment.

Last time we played Kenya was in the WC of 2003. Before that it was 98/99. 1. Do you think Bangladesh team has not improved since 2003 World cup? 2. Do you think Kenya is as strong as their WC team? (If so losing to other associate members baffles me.)

Mahmood
March 9, 2006, 09:43 AM
BD 234 Allout from 153/3 Vs. SL 300+ from 43/4

That is pretty much the definition of who is mentally ready to play test and who is not. The day we will be able to do what SL did, we will be a true test team.

Looking forward to that day...

Edited on, March 9, 2006, 2:45 PM GMT, by Mahmood.

sar2005
March 9, 2006, 12:24 PM
It's for sure that it was a better show so far compare to previous matches agains SL. But we need become a bit consistent. Most important thing is to utilize the opportunity. When we are 153/3, why should we loose next 7 wickets for 80 runs?

Ha, perhaps, it very easy for me to write and comment from here, but obviously, not from the groud. Will need to leave it to time. How long?? No idea.......

pagol-chagol
March 9, 2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Mahmood
BD 234 Allout from 153/3 Vs. SL 300+ from 43/4

That is pretty much the definition of who is mentally ready to play test and who is not. The day we will be able to do what SL did, we will be a true test team.

Looking forward to that day...

Edited on, March 9, 2006, 2:45 PM GMT, by Mahmood.

Both these scenarios happen to all the test teams, and it happens quite often.

Are you guys forgetting how many times our tail enders, led by Pilot, had built our innings? Actually that used to be the norm.

The only difference is Murali.

Do you think Tharanga would have scored 160* on Murali?

(Mahmood, can you get the "Roll on the floor Lough out Loud" smile from kobitaogaan.com. Thats one smile which can't be expressed in words. Also, "hitting head on brick wall". Thanks.)

Navarene
March 9, 2006, 12:42 PM
Accepting the fact that tigers are mentally below per at crunch situation in Test cricket, it is also true that only one man in the middle has made the difference between BD and SL. He is none other than Murali. Without him the Singhali bowling arsenal is almost mediocre (when Vass is absent), IMHO. Without Murali BD would have scored a decent total, if not huge.

betaar
March 9, 2006, 12:42 PM
Well, this is exactly why we still lose to Kenya even after we're the 10th test playing country and the Kenyans are the 11th ODI playing country, and the ICC has to give us more ODIs against Kenya and other ICC Associate Nations.

Bangladesh will beat Kenya because of the bowling attack, not so much with batting.
I must say our oneday temperment has improved a lot since we met Kenya the last time around and I think we will beat them 3-1 in the upcoming season.

shovon13
March 9, 2006, 12:45 PM

we haven't played kenya since the last world cup. our team was a disaster back then, losing to canada as well. our current team should not lose a single game to kenya, unless all hell breaks lose.

i disagree with the idea that ICC should arrange more ODIs for us against kenya and their likes. the few games we play with them every now and then in various tournaments is enough. our team has just barely become a force to be reckoned with in the international stage (we're at a point where teams wont play us thinking it will be a win by default), believe it or not. the only way we can improve further and become an elite team is by playing the elite teams.

shovon13
March 9, 2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
The only difference is Murali.

Do you think Tharanga would have scored 160* on Murali?

boss....i think we have someone on our team who can drop 160 on murali. in fact he has gone over 100 against him twice, and has an average of 43.80 against murali (and the rest of lankan bowling)

guess who :lol:

Edited on, March 9, 2006, 5:50 PM GMT, by shovon13.

metallian
March 9, 2006, 12:55 PM
tired of learing... when the hell is bd gonna be like any other good teams? they have no sense of consistency. freakin pisses me off. If one gets out, all gets out. its like dominos. wtf? will they EVER learn? they have improved no doubt but still not good enough and im just concerned if they're ever gonna be as competitive. Whats wrong with our players? i dont get it. I mean we have a good coach, good batsmen(even) but i think they lack the confidence and consistency. They have no confidence at all, if we lose couple of wickets in the beginning, i think our players just take it that they're gonna lose so they dont even bother to bat well. what do u guys think? I am just really frustrated from yesterday's game. freakin pissed off

Ahmed_B
March 9, 2006, 01:01 PM
so everyone is talking about Tharanga and how he made SL come back to the match. But wasn't he gifted atleast 2 lives (as the match reports are saying) by our fielders? Nothing to take away from Tharanga's innings.... but the SL comeback had something to do with BD's miss-fieldings also. Lets not make a very big deal out of it.

shovon13
March 9, 2006, 01:10 PM
yo metal. your post would have applied during the srilanka series at lanka. but you're way off on this series. they have indeed been competitive throughout this tour, putting up stern resistance. they've been pretty consistent too. dont forget bd is still an improving team. they improved from their last tour didn't they?

billah
March 9, 2006, 01:17 PM
2 changes must be made in this approach of learning:

1. We need to drop our meek, sad weakling Bashar as captain. He is not a leader. He is not aggressive. His bowler rotation is extremely poor. His body language and attitude would not inspire anyone. His performance with the bat has been spotty at best, specially since he's taken over as captain. His "most successful" title is meaningless, since we are the newcomers and some wins are expected as time passes. Bashar exhudes the "let's give up" attitude. For example: He alreaded conceded the match last night.

"The way the young Sri Lankan carried his innings was absolutely brilliant and I think he snatched the match from us. But we can take the lesson from him about how to carry an innings as long as possible after getting settled in the middle," said Bashar, who was not ready to accept the blame for setting a defensive fielding strategy." Daily Star (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/03/10/d60310040234.htm)

If your poor sap of a captain says this ONLY after 2 days in a TEST match, look out. I would not be surprised if Bashar starts having personality conflict with our new bunch of confident, talented "McInnes" kids. These guys demonstrate a different level of attitude.

2. The second chagne, we need to drop Bashar from the ODI team. He's still very poor in ODIs. He is taking up the valuable spot of a solid batsman or an alrounder. His ODI average is something like 19, still very poor, as it was before. Bashar has hit only 2 sixes in his career if I remember right! In this SL series, I think he averaged about 21. He's not improving. There is nothing wrong to have a different captain for the ODI team.

pagol-chagol
March 9, 2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by billah
2 changes must be made in this approach of learning:

1. We need to drop our meek, sad weakling Bashar as captain. He is not a leader. He is not aggressive. His bowler rotation is extremely poor. His body language and attitude would not inspire anyone. His performance with the bat has been spotty at best, specially since he's taken over as captain. His "most successful" title is meaningless, since we are the newcomers and some wins are expected as time passes. Bashar exhudes the "let's give up" attitude. For example: He alreaded conceded the match last night.

"The way the young Sri Lankan carried his innings was absolutely brilliant and I think he snatched the match from us. But we can take the lesson from him about how to carry an innings as long as possible after getting settled in the middle," said Bashar, who was not ready to accept the blame for setting a defensive fielding strategy." Daily Star (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/03/10/d60310040234.htm)

If your poor sap of a captain says this ONLY after 2 days in a TEST match, look out. I would not be surprised if Bashar starts having personality conflict with our new bunch of confident, talented "McInnes" kids. These guys demonstrate a different level of attitude.

Completely agree. I can't believe our selectors don't get this.

2. The second chagne, we need to drop Bashar from the ODI team. He's still very poor in ODIs. He is taking up the valuable spot of a solid batsman or an alrounder. His ODI average is something like 19, still very poor, as it was before. Bashar has hit only 2 sixes in his career if I remember right! In this SL series, I think he averaged about 21. He's not improving. There is nothing wrong to have a different captain for the ODI team.

Completely disagree. Bashar, with his experience could play a big innings any moment. He had many memorable partnership s in ODI. Besides, he plays tests like ODI anyway. If he can be successful in tests, why can't he do that in ODI? His early ODI avearage is pulling him down, still.

shovon13
March 9, 2006, 01:28 PM
bashar should not be dropped from the team, because he is one of the best batsmen we have. but he definitely should be dropped from captaincy, unless steve waugh agrees to help him out with some tips.

Mahmood
March 9, 2006, 01:28 PM
Mahmood, can you get the "Roll on the floor Lough out Loud" smile from kobitaogaan.com. Thats one smile which can't be expressed in words. Also, "hitting head on brick wall". Thanks.

Done.

:head::head::head::head::head::head::head::head:

:floor::floor::floor::floor::floor::floor::floor:: floor:

Spitfire_x86
March 9, 2006, 01:30 PM
in reply to billah

Everyone knows that Bashar is not a good captain. But then where is the alternate option? Asharful?

Bashar is definately a poor ODI batsman, but apart from Ashraful, Aftab (and in form SN) we don't have better ODI batsmen in our team. Mushfiq has potential to be a very good middle order ODI batsman, but even if he replaces Bashar, our ODI performance is not going to change overnight.

Edited on, March 9, 2006, 6:31 PM GMT, by Spitfire_x86.

sadi
March 9, 2006, 01:31 PM
I agree somewhat will Billah bhai. We definately need someone else as captain. The question is who. I don't see anyone other than Ashraful ready to take that responsibility and you don't wanna put this much responsibility on your best batsman when he is so young... so I guess we have to put up with him for a while....

Interesting point....... faruk somewhat disagreed with bashar regarding the field setting... faruk thought he should've been more attacking and I agree with him..... since we can't change the captain right now, maybe someone like whatmore can suggest how to set the field for now..... for example, send the 12th man with a msg to have forward shortleg..... just a thought

Mahmood
March 9, 2006, 01:33 PM
Nice suggestion, reminds me of the Wilmar-Hanse cellphone incident.

pagol-chagol
March 9, 2006, 01:33 PM
Mahmood, can you get the "Roll on the floor Lough out Loud" smile from kobitaogaan.com. Thats one smile which can't be expressed in words. Also, "hitting head on brick wall". Thanks.

Done.

:head::head::head::head::head::head::head::head:

:floor::floor::floor::floor::floor::floor::floor:: floor:

THANKS! :head: :floor:

billah
March 9, 2006, 01:37 PM
Nice suggestion, reminds me of the Wilmar-Hanse cellphone incident.

??

pagol-chagol
March 9, 2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by sadi

Interesting point....... faruk somewhat disagreed with bashar regarding the field setting... faruk thought he should've been more attacking and I agree with him..... since we can't change the captain right now, maybe someone like whatmore can suggest how to set the field for now..... for example, send the 12th man with a msg to have forward shortleg..... just a thought

Great! I am glad Faruq gets it. He might be angry with Bashar for not using Alok's bowling as well.

Pilot has grown a lot in the last 4 years. Why don't we make him captain for 2 years or until Mushfiq is ready as WK.

Mahmood, whats Wilmar-Hanse cellphone incident.

sadi
March 9, 2006, 01:39 PM
wilmar suggested cronje to use a wookie talkie like headphone where wilmar can give him ideas from the dressing room

Ahmed_B
March 9, 2006, 01:39 PM

......would not be surprised if Bashar starts having personality conflict with our new bunch of confident, talented "McInnes" kids. These guys demonstrate a different level of attitude.

AAAH! :)
Dint' really expect this one from you, billah..

First of all, we have talked in threads after threads about how bad bashar is with his captaincy... but can you name a replacement for him?

Secondly, we fans probably 'see' too much sometimes, and even see beyond what the selectors and other people directly related to the whole squad see. Bashar is probably THE MOST ACCEPTED senior in the current squad among the team-mates and, personally, I found his pre and post-match evaluations to be pretty realistic and he does project goals for any coming match in a practical manner. His influence to hold the team together by supporting players who are mentally down or appreciating the one's who are doing good is quite admirable. These are the things that probably we fans refuse to see, even though to the policymakers behind the team value these a lot.

However.. captaincy is probably even beyond the top-5 reasons for which BD is inconsistant like this.

Edited on, March 9, 2006, 6:45 PM GMT, by Ahmed_B.

billah
March 9, 2006, 01:43 PM

Pilot has grown a lot in the last 4 years. Why don't we make him captain for 2 years or until Mushfiq is ready as WK.

I think it will go straight to his head again.

pagol-chagol
March 9, 2006, 01:47 PM

I think it will go straight to his head again.

May be, may be not.

Xavier
March 9, 2006, 01:55 PM
I do agree with the ones who say that the only difference between Bangladesh and Sri Lanka in this series is made by Murali. Tharanga and Ashraful have scored the only two centuries while no other bowler has had outstanding performance.
btw Tharanga had his international debut in last september series Sri Lanka v Bangladesh,now he already has his first century, I guess he'll be in the in the team in the future for SL.

rudro
March 9, 2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Xavier
I do agree with the ones who say that the only difference between Bangladesh and Sri Lanka in this series is made by Murali.
I agree, too. However, don't forget that even though Tharanga or Maharoof are young guns, the test cricket and professionalism have been in their blood since when they were born.