PDA

View Full Version : An object lesson in test cricket for Bangladesh from the Lions !

hkooraham
March 9, 2006, 06:53 AM
The greatest plus from this second test for Bangladesh could be the object lesson they have learnt from Sri Lanka (especially Upul Tharanga and Mahela) on how test cricket is played. The Lankans were down at 43/4 and see where they ended the day - a comparatively massive 302/8 (compared to 43/4 and also compared to the batting capabilities of Bangladesh).

Test cricket gives you time to come back from a batting collapse, it gives you time to recover from an onslaught of runs (like Sri Lanka recovered from Ash's massive century). But to do this, you have to be mentally prepared and have the right attitude: the never say die attitude.

It is not too late for Bangla-bhais ! There are three more days in this test. You can get the two remaining SL wickets in the morning tomorrow and then post a huge total with Bashar, Ashraful and and a few others to contributing. Then when Sri Lanka comes to bat, you have Rajib and Rafique to torment them.

But to do all that the Tigers should have learnt their lessons. The next three days will tell if they have.

fy288
March 9, 2006, 07:01 AM
BD batsmen have the talent but TEMPERAMENT and PATIENCE is the vital ingredient they lack from the captain done to position 6-7 batsmen. We have a captain who is by far the most consistent and our best batsmen but he has a horrible record of converting his many 50's in to centuries.

I dont know if BD management employ psychologists or other such professionals but other teams do and it seems to do the trick.

Edited on, March 9, 2006, 12:33 PM GMT, by fy288.

Edited on, March 9, 2006, 12:37 PM GMT, by fy288.

aosaif
March 9, 2006, 07:05 AM
generally temperment and patience lacks in our culture.

hkooraham
March 9, 2006, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by fy288
BD batsmen have the talent but TEMPRAMENT and PATIENCE is the vital ingredient they lack from the captain done to position 6-7 batsmen. We have a captain who is by far the most consistent and our best batsmen but he has a horrible record of converting his many 50's in to centuries.

I dont know if BD management employ psychologists or other such professionals but over teams do and it seems to do the trick.

Yes sir. Talent is obviously there but the temperament is not...

You have to use psychologists experienced in working with sportsmen. The Aussies have them.

oracle
March 9, 2006, 07:52 AM
I think we and the selectors have something to learn from Tharanga. Let's leave the Sangas and Muralis in their pedestal but this young chap does have a lesson to teach our youngsters. Coming also straight from U-19 and A team, he has really moved fast into tests, but has shown a degree of maturity that we were convinced that Mushfiq had. I would say that our SN's and NI's are prime candidate to watch his innings after all they are the same age group.

sunny747
March 9, 2006, 08:07 AM
Tiger's won't learn anything...they will succumb to murali and finish the match by tomorrow......:(.......
43/4 and look at SL innings now..not acceptable .........i hope we stand atleast one healthy partnership if we want to get anything out of this match..........on top of that Mahmuds commentry suck man!! his "i think...", "...over there", "aa aa aa enjoy bowling....","very strong on offside"
was very irritating/.

sar2005
March 9, 2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by hkooraham
......................and then post a huge total with Bashar, Ashraful and and a few others to contributing.

That's the point, a huge total:-/
Can't recall what was our 2nd innings highest and when. Can anybody help?

sadi
March 9, 2006, 09:41 AM
playing murali in this wicket won't be easy.... unless Ash plays another innings like the first test, I don't see BD scoring over 200....

nannu
March 9, 2006, 09:57 AM
highest 2nd innings was against zimbabwe so.............

Ahsan
March 9, 2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by aosaif
generally temperment and patience lacks in our culture.

add "team work" to the list as well:P

arafath79
March 9, 2006, 10:08 AM
I really wanna see a good batting performance from Bangladesh in second innings.:)

arafath79
March 9, 2006, 10:10 AM
I want to see another captains knock from Bashar and a fifty atleast from Ashraful. Mushfiq should do well in his batting in the second innings otherwise he will be kicked out of the national team immediately.

arafath79
March 9, 2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by aosaif
generally temperment and patience lacks in our culture. :lol: