PDA

View Full Version : Strategy for 2nd innings batting

Spitfire_x86
March 9, 2006, 10:03 AM
We should not only give away our wickets cheaply, but we also have to score runs. No matter how well our batsmen handle Murali, he will get 5 wickets anyway. The objective of our batsmen should be make him bowl as much as possible for his wickets and score good amount of runs off his bowling. They must maintain at least 3 innings RR throughout the 2nd innings.

Otherwise we will never score 300+ and the match might be over within tommorow or 4th day's morning.

sadi
March 9, 2006, 10:11 AM
we need to use our feet against murali..... don't play him in the backfoot.... be aggresive.... don't let him get his rhythm.... someone has to play a big innings..... hopefully it will be either ash or bashar...... one 100+ innings and couple of 30s or 40s should get us there....

Tigers_eye
March 9, 2006, 10:19 AM
One of the strategy they should follow is watch for the cracks in the pitch. Otherwise, the umpires fingers may go up quicker than we think.

No nicks to the slip, please. We were really lucky as SL dropped some catches in the 1st innings.

Fazal
March 9, 2006, 11:56 AM
No Strategy will work for 2nd Innings. Mentally pepare for the worst

sar2005
March 9, 2006, 12:16 PM
I think our strategy remains same right from the 1st test to 42nd......bat, bat and bat!

- someone needs to play a long innings
- play session by session
- get a good start
- don't throw away the wicket
- attack on loose delivery and score
- watch out the best bowler
- don't play wide deliveries
- etc. etc.

Main thing is to stay as long as you can. Remember, we still have 3 days to go. If you stay, run will come!

Navarene
March 9, 2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by sadi
we need to use our feet against murali..... don't play him in the backfoot.... be aggresive.... don't let him get his rhythm....
Spot on! :up:

Cricket46
March 9, 2006, 01:19 PM
A lot will depend on our defensive batsmen, because they need to seal up one end. In the beginning it can be Javed and later it can be Pilot. The remaining players can play their strokes carefully. There has to be a definite strategy to play Murali. Everyone knows, that is the key. In a test match you cannot hit a bowler out of the attack. Especially, if that happens to be Murali. You have to negotiate him by rotating the strike and going for the shots occasionally. It would be nice to see what happens if he does not get a wicket for about 10 overs.

Again, I see gradual improvement in our batsmen’s approach in this test. I wonder if the current Sri Lanka team minus Murali could beat us. I know it is a hypothetical question. But my point is, it has really become Bangladesh vs Murali.

SS
March 9, 2006, 01:30 PM
do u know how clever is Murali
his ball is so hard to play that's why he is 600 club membrs with
warne
it's impossible for our poor batsmen now...so get ready for another huge defeat

sadi
March 9, 2006, 01:34 PM
good start is a must for us...... plus someone must play a big innings..... when I say big innings, I mean a big hundred... and everyone else has to play around him..... nafis looked good in the first innings again before getting out..... will he make it count this time??

reverse_swing
March 9, 2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Fazal
Mentally pepare for the worst

then this video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6022976368613473123&q=bangladesh) will help you to prepare for another nightmare.

fishyguy
March 9, 2006, 01:42 PM
Honestly nothing overnight can prepare you.

we just have to accept whatever comes our way, which by the way is a heavy defeat.

No doubt Murali will destroy us.

But be thankful that they don't have Vaas or else we wouldnt have even been able to compete at all.

pagol-chagol
March 9, 2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by SS
do u know how clever is Murali
his ball is so hard to play that's why he is 600 club membrs with
warne
it's impossible for our poor batsmen now...so get ready for another huge defeat

Are you surprised that our batsmen reached double digits against him in the past?:floor: Ow, I forgot how about triple digits?

Not "impossible". Is it?

shimraj
March 9, 2006, 01:48 PM
I think Sadi's suggestion is the best one so far. If you want to go backfoot on Murali you are gonna get yourself trapped. On the other hand if you go front foot and hits your pad you will not be given out even if the ball is within the wicket.
Unfortunately BD has done the same mistake in the 1st innings. Play like ODI. If we do not learn how to stay in the wicket, our future is bleak in test cricket.

rudro
March 9, 2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by reverse_swing
Mentally pepare for the worst

then this video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6022976368613473123&q=bangladesh) will help you to prepare for another nightmare.

I like that! Believe it, we have improved a lot. This series, we have given SL a tough time. We won a ODI. We avoided innings defeat in the first test. We will do the same in the second. The next thing we have to learn is how to not let Upal or Maharoof take the match away from us!

Edited on, March 9, 2006, 7:19 PM GMT, by rudro.

esteban_loaiza
March 9, 2006, 02:29 PM
The problem is in batsmen's mind. I dont know how to improve that but the key will be building partnership. We played Murali long enough that somebody should come up and play him responsibly and agressively. The chances are again little on that because the lack of quality longer version game we play.

nayan
March 9, 2006, 02:36 PM
yes i definetly agree with sadi and i would also like to add that i think we should be a little extra attacking against murali and upset him early. he is a very imosional guy(with all respect to his profesionalism). we have to play the mental games. mordern cricket is all about that. we can always see tendulkar doing that against when warne comes in to bowl his very first over. its do or die. i think bangladesh should give it all in this test match. this pitch will be unplayble on the 4th innings so think any lead over 200 hundred and we r knocking on the door step of a upset.

shovon13
March 9, 2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by fishyguy
Honestly nothing overnight can prepare you.

we just have to accept whatever comes our way, which by the way is a heavy defeat.

No doubt Murali will destroy us.

But be thankful that they don't have Vaas or else we wouldnt have even been able to compete at all.

:bravo:

may i ask, why are you even following bd cricket?

SS
March 9, 2006, 03:08 PM
ok i agree with pagol chagol...that we reached "double" digit in 20's or 30's and one triple digit in first test.

But remember lets say we used to get out when he used to ball 15 overs in a test taking 5 wkts, but now he will do 30 overs.

imagine bowling extra 15 overs or 90 more balls!!! ofcourse i give credit to BD but if you want a strategy to do well, there is no way we can fight against this wizard.

cricman
March 9, 2006, 03:15 PM
#1 thing that has to be done is play Ash @3 or 4, if you wanna battle Murali he needs to come before S. Nafees. S. Nafees can come @ 5 with the two wicketkeepers coming in at 6 and 7.

pagol-chagol
March 9, 2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by SS
ok i agree with pagol chagol...that we reached "double" digit in 20's or 30's and one triple digit in first test.

But remember lets say we used to get out when he used to ball 15 overs in a test taking 5 wkts, but now he will do 30 overs.

imagine bowling extra 15 overs or 90 more balls!!! ofcourse i give credit to BD but if you want a strategy to do well, there is no way we can fight against this wizard.

If they can improve from 15 overs to 30 overs why can't they improve from 30 to 45 and beyond? I hope the players don't believe, like you, that " there is no way we can fight against this wizard." Then we are doomed.

pagol-chagol
March 9, 2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by cricman
#1 thing that has to be done is play Ash @3 or 4, if you wanna battle Murali he needs to come before S. Nafees. S. Nafees can come @ 5 with the two wicketkeepers coming in at 6 and 7.

Makes sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if they open with Murali. They have done that before. They already know that their pacers are not troubling us.

oracle
March 9, 2006, 03:38 PM

I was thinking about Rafique as he is playing well., i.e to promote him up and unsettle Murali. However, don't know how, at least above Mashud methinks.

gravitY
March 9, 2006, 05:58 PM
No Strategy will work for 2nd Innings. Mentally pepare for the worst

thik amar moner kotha!! No matter what strategy you plan, once the batsmen are out in the middle.. they mixes up everything.. and bite the dust. :head:

gravitY
March 9, 2006, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by oracle

I was thinking about Rafique as he is playing well., i.e to promote him up and unsettle Murali. However, don't know how, at least above Mashud methinks.

Above Mashud is fine. But I don't think any of BD batsmen can unsettle Murali, except for Ashraful, on his day.

ammark
March 9, 2006, 07:19 PM
This is what I posted in the match thread at stumps yesterday:

I hope they mop up the last 2 SL wickets, and then HANG IN THERE for their batting innings. It'll be tough against Murali on this cracked turning pitch. The batsmen HAVE to play with better footwork, and more on the front foot. Too many ppl got out in the first innings by playing the spinners defensively off the back foot. And this is a test match, there really isnt any pressure to score runs, so they should just concentrate on sticking to their crease and NOT throwing their wickets away

To elaborate, I agree fully with sadi. The players must improve their footwork. I mean watching India, SL and pakistans matches, back in the day they all had one or two quick footed (in-form) batsmen who would come forward, get close to the pitch of kumble/saqlain/murali and play them. Our batsmen still seem very complacent at the crease against such top class spin. We dont have any chanderpauls who shuffle at the crease either.

But there should still be a focus on the opening bowlers, the pitch is still good for new ball bowlers. Since it helped rajib and rasel yesterday, Golla and Nafis Iqbal have to see off the pacers too. But MOST importantly, they have to break up their play to segmented sessions

Sham
March 9, 2006, 07:36 PM
Yeah, our batsman CANNOT play Murali on the backfoot.

Murali will still get 5 wickets even if our batsmen come to the front foot, but if you come on to the front foot and a ball bounces a bit more than expected our turns sharply and you nick it to the close fielders, that is a legitimate dismissal. There is nothing you can do about it. Murali has gotten over 500 Test wickets like that.

But staying on the back foot to Murali is just as bad as giving your wicket away to him rather than him earning it. Fwullah wrote yesterday that it was good to see that our batsmen werent throwing away their wickets. I dont agree. I think both our openers threw away their wickets yesterday by going on the back foot to Murali.

This is test match cricket, if our batsmen want to survive and do well at this stage, they ought to know better than to go on the backfoot to a nice flighted deliver from Murali. If they don't understand something that simple, how are they going to survive at this level?

sadi
March 9, 2006, 08:12 PM
I guess they were thinking by going backfoot, they are getting a little more time.... but you gotta realize, murali not only get a sharp turn but also gets some bouncy from the pitch and when you go backfoot, umpire wouldn't think twice before giving you out if you are on the line.....

by playing frontfoot and using your feet, you are gonna reduce the chance of a lbw. Yeah true you can give a bat-pad catch but just like sham said, its better than just giving it away.

CricTiger
March 9, 2006, 09:10 PM
Try to take a 200+ run lead and stay in the middle as much as possible.

LeeXU
March 9, 2006, 09:52 PM
The main thing is to stay. If our batsman can stay for at least three sessions, a reasonable score would definitely be on the board. But the problem with bd batsman ( u see all the past records) is that they played one session good and just crumbled away within one session. Look at SL they were 43/4 and then they did gave any wicket in that session. 2 in the nexts and still batting. But for us its 69/4 and all aout in the next session. thats the problem. DONT PANIC!and STAY. it is the cure.
Hope for the best !!!!!!!!! but prepare..........