PDA

View Full Version : Learn from the Sri Lankans

fishyguy
March 9, 2006, 11:16 AM
My goodness me talk about concentration and application.

Tharanga, Mahela and the batsmen that followed after them showed how test cricket is to be played.

It was unbeleivable the way they concentrated and played out the whole day. Tharanga was as solid as a rock. Mind you our spinners are not attacking bowlers by any means but still.

Can you imagine how patient they were, I mean I don't have the patience to watch these guys bat and they're the ones actually doing the batting.

They showed so much restraint it was amazing.

We were really lucky to get Mahela out, a complete fluke but a good tactic from bashar non the less.

Wonder what would've happened if Mahela went on the way he was going at the time.

Definetly a huge hundred from him as well.

Our batsmen have to show similar application but I'm afraid they're still not just good enough. They have to go in with a mindset as if they're leaving permanently and never coming back from the wicket.

Its easier said than done ofcourse. But hey thats why we were given test status no one said it was gonna be easy.

The problem seems to be that after 2 days in the field they just don't have either the stamina, patience or will power to keep playing and already with a heavy first innings defecit on our part the psycological blow is even greater.

Thats why test cricket is the real deal and it matters most when you can compete at the test level. No respite for the weak here.

Baundule
March 9, 2006, 11:30 AM
Bored of seeing too many negative stuffs! We dont have this, or that, or something else etc. etc. etc.

We just need to learn from ourselves, more than learning from the others. Tharanga and stuffs did not have to bat against Muralitharan. But that's no big issue. If we just learn from our mistakes, that should be enough. Dont need to immitate some superstars!

Great things are achieved by self-improvement, not by immitation. We dont want to be a Sri Lanka, an India, Pakistan or an Australia. We are the Bangladesh team and we just want to be the best. The main thing is to understand one's limitation and work within that.

Guys who try to follow the greats will never be the greats themselves! I have Ashraful and I will never ask him to be Mahela or Jayasuriya; I will just ask Ashraful to play his own game! I will ask Bashar to play however he likes; if he suceeds, he stays; if not, I will just look forward for a better option!

betaar
March 9, 2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Baundule

We just need to learn from ourselves, more than learning from the others. Dont need to immitate some superstars!

Great things are achieved by self-improvement, not by immitation.

Guys who try to follow the greats will never be the greats themselves!

--> If that's the case then why follow what coach says, do our own thing and suck bigtime in the process.

--> Self improvement can be done by immitating others. i.e. Sehwag learned cricket by watching Tendulkar on TV and his VCR.

--> But they could get close it. I will use Sehwag's example again

Sorry, do not agree with you.

sadi
March 9, 2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by betaar

We just need to learn from ourselves, more than learning from the others. Dont need to immitate some superstars!

--> If that's the case then why follow what coach says, do our own thing and suck bigtime in the process.

--> Self improvement can be done by immitating others. i.e. Sehwag learned cricket by watching Tendulkar on TV and his VCR.

Coach won't tell you to follow some superstars... what he would tell you though is where is your limitation and how you can overcome it.... thats the point.... our players have to review their own performance and realize where they are making the mistakes and correct them....

Great players can be your inspiration..... watching them play will inspire you to play and perform like them.... however at the end of the day, you have your own style and thats what you gotta deal with.... if everyone could immitate tendulkar, then there would be ten thousand other tendulkars in India... it all depends on your talent and how you use it to perfection....

Great post Baundule :up:

fishyguy
March 9, 2006, 12:09 PM
I don't think anyone should be imitated but definetly you have to learn from the best players.

How do you think people are learning reverse swing.

The English bowlers learnst from the Pakis.

The same thing apllies in all sports you learn from the best and those that are better than you.

How else will you improve.

betaar
March 9, 2006, 12:23 PM
Sadi and Boundule,

I thought it was given that you'd have to have some talent to even follow the greats and that's why I mentioned Sehwag. He had the talent but to mold that in to success he chose to follow Tendulkar and became who he is now.

Without talent knowledge about your limitations will only make you an OK player who'd be consistent like Javed Omar.....nothing more.

Take Rassel as an example:
he's been consistent so far in all the matches I've seen him playing. But he was a better bowler yesterday with the help of Waseem Akram where he was immitating (I know immitation has a negative meaning) or following Akram's wrist movement and bacame even more lethal with variations. it's true he can never be Waseem akram but he will definitely can get better.

sunny747
March 9, 2006, 12:28 PM
this is a duplicate thread i guess.....

sadi
March 9, 2006, 12:29 PM
using someone's tip doesn't mean you immitate them..... maybe I wasn't clear in my post...... when immitate someone, you blindly follow everything they do without realizing your own strength and weakness... that was my point..... sehwag's idol was tendulkar but he never followed him blindly... he relies more on his eye-hand coordination than anything..... he can't move his feet like tendulkar and he doesn't even bother to do that..... I hope I am a little clearer now....

betaar
March 9, 2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by sadi
using someone's tip doesn't mean you immitate them..... maybe I wasn't clear in my post...... when immitate someone, you blindly follow everything they do without realizing your own strength and weakness... that was my point..... sehwag's idol was tendulkar but he never followed him blindly... he relies more on his eye-hand coordination than anything..... he can't move his feet like tendulkar and he doesn't even bother to do that..... I hope I am a little clearer now....

I think you are and I agree with you.

And I think what Fishguy wanted to say was that immitating SL approach of batting will only mean that BD will not crumble in the 2nd inning as they usually do.

I hope we all are on the same page now.

Peace out!!!

Baundule
March 10, 2006, 03:27 AM
Yes, peace out :)
Everyone have a great day!

hkooraham
March 10, 2006, 09:20 AM
Bored of seeing too many negative stuffs! We dont have this, or that, or something else etc. etc. etc.

We just need to learn from ourselves, more than learning from the others. Tharanga and stuffs did not have to bat against Muralitharan. But that's no big issue. If we just learn from our mistakes, that should be enough. Dont need to immitate some superstars!

Great things are achieved by self-improvement, not by immitation. We dont want to be a Sri Lanka, an India, Pakistan or an Australia. We are the Bangladesh team and we just want to be the best. The main thing is to understand one's limitation and work within that.

Guys who try to follow the greats will never be the greats themselves! I have Ashraful and I will never ask him to be Mahela or Jayasuriya; I will just ask Ashraful to play his own game! I will ask Bashar to play however he likes; if he suceeds, he stays; if not, I will just look forward for a better option!

I think what fishyguy said was not negative at all. It is a very positive thing to learn from others, where appropriate. It is not immitating but looking at what successful people do and adapting (not adopting) it to yourself. Then you can be yourself, not someone else.

Obviously Sri Lanka cannot play against Murali but still you cannot discount their performance. There is a lot to learn from it.

What you say is not possible in a practical world.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 2:22 PM GMT, by hkooraham.

hkooraham
March 10, 2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by betaar

Well said. Arigatou gozaimasu !

We live in a world of relativity. You relate to others, cannot live in a cocoon and improve yourself.

hkooraham
March 10, 2006, 09:27 AM
If you don't want to lear from others you won't go to school in the first place.

Bangladesh has a lot ot learn from the rest of the cricketing world. Learn it and adapt it as it suits Bangladesh.

With that Bangladesh will really shine.

:flag:

Tigers_eye
March 10, 2006, 09:39 AM
Last year at SL S Nafees made the only 50 against SL. So Murali and co. studied his tapes and devised a plan implemented it to perfection. 2nd Test both innings out similar fashion.

This is something Bd can learn from the SL's. Create plans while facing others and practice it, and implement it game time. SL team is a veteran team. So naturally they implement their strategy better. Practice makes a man perfect.

Test batsmen (except Afridi and likes) who go on to score 100+ have concentration honed onto the field and take one ball at a time. Not an over, not a session. One ball at a time. Ash, N Iqbal, JO, Bashar, pilot, Rafique all did it. Now they have to repeat it. So what can Tharanga and jay teach us? Something they already know? This could be a reminder at best to those mentioned. But for Mushifq, S Nafees this could be an example.

fwullah
March 10, 2006, 11:58 AM
In order to bat well in the 2nd innings, you have to have the physical stamina as well.

I remember something similar to football. Back in the old days (can't remember the timing) when our domestic football used to be played for 60 minutes only, whereas the International football matches' duration is for 90 minutes. I read it in Kriralok that since our footballers had practiced played for 60 minutes only, so they lost their steam after playing 60 minutes, and then lost matches after the 60 minutes were gone ina 90 minute game.

I think the similar thing is happening in case of test cricket for Bangaldesh.

Our domestic matches' duration is only for 3 days, and in only 2 to 3 games, where first class matches are held for 4 days (in the 2nd round or something). However, test cricket is a 5-days game and so we often see our team losing their steam and stamina after 2 days of great playing, because on the Day 3, still there is a sufficient number of sessions left in a test match, whereas on Day 3 in domestic cricket, a match sees the end of the match.

So, I think to improve our performance in test cricket, we have no option but to introduce 4 day first class matches in domestic cricket. Not only 3 days of first class cricket and then on the 4th day when our players have to play a limited over game.

fishyguy
March 10, 2006, 12:24 PM
Stamina is important for sure.

We cant have a strong nartional side with such a weak domestic structure.

Look at the Aussie and SA domestic structure. The most competetive in the world.

We just cant put in 17 yr olds from our U19 team out of nowhere.

I'll agree with people who say that Australia are an old side but they really make their players work and prove themselves in the domestic level before making it to the national side

Look at Mike Hussey. He debuted at 27 after years of hard work in the domestic cricket ciricle. They don't call him "Mr. Cricket" for nothing.

Bottom line is we are not professional yet. Theres not enough funding, too much politics and corruption. I guess its always been there and sadly always will be there.

You would hope that the Cricketing administrators, who if they loved the game and were patriotic would leave politics and corruption out and have some honesty and integrity.

yaseer
March 10, 2006, 12:41 PM
not only from Srilankans.......the application n conecentration level of our batsmen is soo low that they can learn from every other international batsman who has played 15+ tests.