PDA

View Full Version : Note from Sri Lankan fan!

Sri_Lankan_fan
March 9, 2006, 06:47 PM
I really enjoy the way you guys support your cricket. I came to know this site while this series is on. I wish one day the Bangladeshi team to become the greatest sides in the world. Looking at your posts reminds me how I grew up with Sri Lankan cricket. I remember the days that I prayed the god to bring victory to SL team. I start listening to the match commentary early in the morning before even the match start.(Those days my family didn’t have a TV). Keep looking at the watch until the match starts. Most of the time, they end up in the loosing side wasting my whole day. But gradually they improved their skills. They started wining matches at home. I still remember the day they first won the Asia cup. It was our heroes Arjuna and Aravinda who brought the victory for us. I was a kid in the open stands of P’ Sara stadium in Colombo.(P Sarawanmuttu stadium – was the best ground in Sri Lanka at that time, now we hardly play a match there) I really enjoyed that match.

When Sri Lanka won the first test (against India) the great Kapil Dev said Sri Lanka will never win a Test outside Sri Lanka (I can imagine his frustration when they become the first team to lose to minnows of Test cricket at that time). Then, Sri Lankan were treated as bad as possible in Australia in Benson and Hedges cup. (now VB series) Still they manage to come to finals. But Australian media (not all of them) did their best to bring the moral down of the SL team. But it was a real good thing. Sri Lankan team became really mentally tough team afterwards. Arjuna plaid a major role in that. With those lessons they went and won the World Cup in 1997. It was my last year in university. We were doing our final exams. Still, after the papers, we rush in to the Canteen to see the first 15 overs. To see how Sanath and Kalu are batting. It was an experience I will never forget. The way they blasted every delivery of world famous bowlers, finally Sri Lanka got a place in world cricket.

For Bangladeshis, it want be too far away. You guys have to support your cricket as you guys do right now. It will be someday you’ll get the same experience that I’ve got. I know how good that experience is. So keep on supporting your team. Believe me, the hardest part is to cope up with all the things that people say about your cricket. Mostly from the good cricketing nations. Most of them do not want to minnows to come up and perform well. They don’t like to accept that you can do better than them. Good example is Murali. Most people still try to put him down. They don’t accept him as the World’s greatest bowler. Believe me, it will happen you guys as well. But don’t look back, Go Bangladeshis Go!
:fanflag:

I wish if I have more time to write you guys. But, I’m at work. I wish you guys all the Best!!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

Sri Lankan Fan.

shovon13
March 9, 2006, 06:50 PM
thank you!

Cricket46
March 9, 2006, 06:56 PM
Another encouraging write-up by a Sri Lankan fan.

pagol-chagol
March 9, 2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Cricket46

I have yet to meet a Srilankan or South Indian guy without a big heart.:great:

fishyguy
March 9, 2006, 07:11 PM
Nice post.

I guess a lot Sri lankans can relate us BD fans as we are at a stage you guys were once in.

I clearly remember the Benson and Hedges series.

For me that was the turning point for Sri Lankan cricket.

We faced something similar in England where we miraculiously beat Australia but as far as our ability both mental and talent wise we have a very very long way to go.

But I think the day BD finally arrives the joy for BD fans will be 10 times more than any other in the world.

I hope it will be in my lifetime.

fhstar
March 9, 2006, 07:22 PM
Thanks a lot for the words of encouragement!!!

I have been following Sri Lankan cricket for the last 15 years ...
I remember reading the various comments that different media outlets (especially the reporters from the already established nations) made about Sri Lanka cricket ... some of the comments were absolutely pathetic ...

The match that I vividly remember is the match in Sharjah, I think in Oct/Nov 2004, when Sri Lanka was chasing 333 made by then formidable West Indies. At the end of 15 overs, SL was 101/3 ... they needed 4 runs of 5 deliveries with 1 wicket left. But Hashan Tillakaratne well-timed shot was snapped by a WI player at the mid-wicket boundary ... SL finshed w/ 329 and went down by 4 runs ... true it was a loss, but SL fought till the end ... the match was a preview of what SL was capable of ...

I also remember of one occasion in the early nineties when Mahanama had to be carried off from the field ... he was playing a real fighting innings before he developed cramps in his legs due to the stiffling heatand humidity ... I can still see some of the fans crying in the stands as Mahanama left the field ...

SL definitely deserves the success after such amazing support ...

Yes, we are resolute in our support for the Bangladesh Cricket team. Success is not far away from us ... we are already seeing glimpses of it. :joy:

ammark
March 9, 2006, 07:29 PM
Thanks a lot. I cant help but be surprised at how similar our histories and experiences in cricket are. I mean, I remember world cup '96. SL was invincible. Tony Greig was in love with Jayasuriya. God Willing, that day will come for us too... and Aftab, Abir and Ashraful will be our batting gems.

oracle
March 9, 2006, 08:10 PM
Sri_Lankan_fan

welcome, hope to see you and your inputs at match time. pls visit us either at the match thread or at our chatroom- click at chat at the menu options on the top bar.

once again thanks for visiting banglacricket and I hope you can tell your friends about us.:up:

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 1:10 AM GMT, by oracle.

fhstar
March 9, 2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by fhstar
Thanks a lot for the words of encouragement!!!

The match that I vividly remember is the match in Sharjah, I think in Oct/Nov 2004, when Sri Lanka was chasing 333 made by then formidable West Indies. At the end of 15 overs, SL was 101/3 ... they needed 4 runs of 5 deliveries with 1 wicket left. But Hashan Tillakaratne well-timed shot was snapped by a WI player at the mid-wicket boundary ... SL finshed w/ 329 and went down by 4 runs ... true it was a loss, but SL fought till the end ... the match was a preview of what SL was capable of ...

Sorry for the typo ... I meant Oct/Nov 1994 ...
:sorry:

Sri_Lankan_fan
March 9, 2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by oracle
Sri_Lankan_fan

welcome, hope to see you and your inputs at match time. pls visit us either at the match thread or at our chatroom- click at chat at the menu options on the top bar.

once again thanks for visiting banglacricket and I hope you can tell your friends about us.:up:

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 1:10 AM GMT, by oracle.

Thanks for inviting me! I try to catch u guys at match time.

Sri_Lankan_Fan

Cricket46
March 9, 2006, 09:01 PM
There are some dissimilarities. Sri Lanka were given test status much later than they truly deserved. Even in those pre-test days they had players like, Tennekoon, Tissera, Mendis, Dias (the latter two of course played tests) who could take any bowling apart on a given day.

They gave such a tough time to Lillee and Thompson in the first World Cup. It was amazing batting.

There bowling was pretty thin.

The other thing is they always played very attractive cricket, somewhat like the West Indies and Pakistan.

shaoun
March 9, 2006, 11:49 PM
murali is the best spinner in the world. i rate him as better then shane warne. yes maybe we were given test status sooner then we should have. but bangladesh is improving. we are winning matches regularly. we have some great young players. and ofcourse bangladesh is the most cricket crazy nation in the world. 5 years ago we didnt deserve the test status but we sure deserve it rightnow. because we are going in right direction. now we can compete with any team in the world in odi matches. and within a year or two i believe we will be able to compete with any team in test matches as well.

Ahmed_B
March 10, 2006, 12:09 AM
Welcome abord Sri_Lankan_Fan,

Thanks for the post with such an 'insider's veiw'... it was nice to hear about you Sri-Lankan people's passion about the game. Enjoy the forum .. and surely we also enjoy a lot when fans from other countries join us in here. And you will also find out that there are lots of Sri Lanka fans among Bangladeshi people too. We do admire SriLankan Cricket... and many of us support your team... unless ofcourse SL is playing against Bangladesh.

We want cricket-fans from other countries to come and be a part of Banglacricket... and then remain to be a part of it for ever. :)

Fortuner
March 10, 2006, 01:24 AM
A very Warm Welcome to u Sri Lanka Fan..........

May u enjy ur stay here...........

Well, i have few questions to u...

whtz th hieght of Maharoof and does he bat well in the domestic league. I was impressed to see this guy come up so well within less time if i aint mistaken..........he scored 72 against us in the 1st test and took SL out of danger..............

Banglatiger84
March 10, 2006, 01:43 AM
Welcome to Banglacricket, Sri Lankan Fan :)

Looking forward to many interesting discussion and arguments :P

Banglatiger84
March 10, 2006, 01:44 AM
Welcome to Banglacricket, Sri Lankan Fan :)

Looking forward to many interesting discussion and arguments :P

sunny747
March 10, 2006, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
Originally posted by Cricket46

I have yet to meet a Srilankan or South Indian guy without a big heart.:great:
It's true, SL and south indian guys are really well-behaved...

Mohiul
March 10, 2006, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Sri_Lankan_fan

I wish if I have more time to write you guys. But, I’m at work. I wish you guys all the Best!!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

Sri Lankan Fan.

Thank you very much, big heart.

cover_point
March 10, 2006, 03:13 PM
I truly agree with SL Fan, this message board brings me a lot of fond memories of SL cricket in the '80s.

It will take less time for BD to win a world cup than SL since now adays there are many fascilities and every cricketing nation is being paid well.
Those days SL players didn't have that luxury being the minnows. I still remember newspaper articles of how our players on most days have just had fried fish while on tour because they couldn't afford it. Ant not so long ago (early nineties) fast bowler Promodhya Wichremasinghe who was from a remote village used to have his meal from a street vendor before attending practices.
There were no nutrionists and even the physio was a volunteer (a former SL Rugby player).

BD playes have no such problems, so I guess they will win a world cup before 14 years of being given test status.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 8:15 PM GMT, by cover_point.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 8:16 PM GMT, by cover_point.
Reason: Poor spelling and writing from work

yaseer
March 10, 2006, 03:24 PM
I just want to say to Sri_Lankan_fan, Thank you

these are the best lines i have heard from other cricketing nation.

Shafin
March 11, 2006, 03:54 AM
Excellent article,in the start of WC 2006,i supported aussies,but at the final,i really supported SL for their style,I still remember the six from gurusingha of warne.

Zobair
March 11, 2006, 07:30 PM
What an inspiring post for any struggling Bangladeshi fan?! :) Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

fishyguy
March 11, 2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by cover_point
I truly agree with SL Fan, this message board brings me a lot of fond memories of SL cricket in the '80s.

It will take less time for BD to win a world cup than SL since now adays there are many fascilities and every cricketing nation is being paid well.
Those days SL players didn't have that luxury being the minnows. I still remember newspaper articles of how our players on most days have just had fried fish while on tour because they couldn't afford it. Ant not so long ago (early nineties) fast bowler Promodhya Wichremasinghe who was from a remote village used to have his meal from a street vendor before attending practices.
There were no nutrionists and even the physio was a volunteer (a former SL Rugby player).

BD playes have no such problems, so I guess they will win a world cup before 14 years of being given test status.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 8:15 PM GMT, by cover_point.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 8:16 PM GMT, by cover_point.
Reason: Poor spelling and writing from work

My goodness me I hadno idea it was so hard for Sri lankan players. My respect for them went up 100 times

sar2005
March 12, 2006, 04:57 AM
How good these SL people are!! Thank you so much for writing in such a wonderful way.

By the way, BD fans, we have a thread for SL to convey our gratitude. Have a look and feel free to convey your thanks as well -

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=16569

Bat-PadTogether
March 12, 2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks S_lankan_fan!

cricket_pagol
March 12, 2006, 05:42 PM
Welcome Srilankan fan... amazing post!!! It feels so great to see that you can understand us (crazy bangladeshi fans).

mhferdaus
March 12, 2006, 06:06 PM
Welcome bro :D

Tehsin
March 12, 2006, 08:30 PM
Gosh darn it, you guys are making it harder for me to support any other team besides Sri Lanka (apart from Bangladesh of course) for next years World Cup.

Welcome to the board. Please keep on reminding us (some of the fans do need the reminder) what Sri Lanka had to (and still do) go through. Murali is undoubtedly the best spinner in the world, better then tubby tubb tubb. Yet, they try to make it sound like he gets all his wickets against the minnows. Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't Murali taken 50 or more wickets against ALL test playing nations ? How convenient for some folks to forget that amazing feat.

Best of luck to Murali in reching his next milestone. Just know that the next time he faces BD, his stats will take a ding. ;)

Cheers

abherath
March 13, 2006, 01:43 AM
Good article, with true Sri Lankan sentiments.

Edited on, March 15, 2006, 6:08 AM GMT, by abherath.

Sri_Lankan_fan
March 14, 2006, 05:13 PM
Talking about Sri Lankan cricket, as most of you guys think Sri Lanka team didn’t have the facilities that Bangladesh team is having right now. They didn’t have the luxury to have great international coaches like Dave Watmore until late nineties. Most players had many financial difficulties during the start of their carriers. Even Murali has come to his first test match by public transport. (Crincinfo). They didn’t have the technology that most cricket teams having right now.

But as someone said in this post, Sri Lanka played very exiting cricket from the begging. They were fantastic side in one-day cricket even before they won the world cup. They were very good in 4-day unofficial test matches as well. Without a doubt, Bangladesh team has the talent and the support they need. What Bangladesh team has to learn is to play full 5-days of cricket, without too much worrying about winning the matches. Once you learn how to cope-up with five days of cricket, victories will be there unsurprisingly.