PDA

View Full Version : Need help with anitvirus, anti spyware etc.

Cricket46
March 12, 2006, 10:53 AM
Dear friends,

Can anyone help me with this? Actually, I know some people here are very technically advanced.

I had bought this McAfee package (from store) containing firewall and antivirus about 3 months back. I installed them are they were working fine, till a few days. May be they are still doing the job behind the scene. Here are some of my questions:

1. If I try to force it to scan something, it opens up a blank screen. So there is nothing that I can do with that. This is the case, whether I try to double-click the Firewall, VisrusScan or Security Center icons on my desktop.
2. Then I tried to uninstall them but again the same white blank window. So I can’t uninstall and re-install either.

May be I need to provide some more info. Recently, I downloaded the free version of Spybot for taking care of spyware issues. So I don’t know if that is coming in conflict with McAfee. When I ran Spybot it showed some registry issues with McAfee, so I cleaned them up. Since then, I uninstalled Spybot but the same issues with Mcafee continues.

It still seems to me that McAfee is working, because I see the firewall prompting from time to time regarding the websites’ permissions when I am on the Internet.

If it is not right to be asking these here the moderators can feel free to take my post out. However, I would appreciate if someone could then U2U me some suggestions.

Thanking in advance.

Mahmood
March 14, 2006, 09:17 PM
What happened is, when you scanned with spybot, it gave you a list of suspected files, which you asked to clean, some of them were importent files used by McAfee, therefore the current problem.

To fix this...

Open spybot, click on recovery, and inspect the file/registry names and recover the needed ones. This may take you time to figure out which one is needed, one fast way would be to restore all, then clean one at a time and make sure it still works.

Cricket46
March 16, 2006, 09:11 AM
I was trying to U2U you, but no matter how I tried, I was getting this message:

Error
The u2u you are trying to save is empty

Can you please send me a blank U2U and I will see if I can respond to that!