PDA

View Full Version : We should be more accepting of people from other culture.

Braveheart
March 16, 2006, 06:16 AM
I just wanted to say something that might sound very negative but I have to say it.

I was born in Bangladesh and I am all for speaking the Bengali language. But, I can't really stand for what goes on in this forum. We are pretty much butchering it. It is great that some of the members try to use English fonts to write Bengali stuff but IT JUST DOES NOT WORK. Most of the time it is really hard to understand what the poster was talking about.

Cricket is an international sport and a lot of people from different culture follow it. Banglacricket is dedicated towards Bangladesh cricket. However, a lot of sport media do pay attention to this kind of websites to gauge the level fan spirit. I think we should definitely try to use the universal language English in this forum to better accommodate any foreign guests and anybody who does not understand the language. I hope this post would not be taken in a negative manner.

Miraz
March 16, 2006, 06:30 AM
Braveheart Bhaijan,
I partially agree with you. It is the sight to express our thoughts, feelings and emotions about Bangladesh cricket and cricket as well. Majority of our posts are in English

but sometimes amader ei purona style ta khub appropriate hoi to express ourselves?

I think that will not be a proble for others who want to gauge fan's spirit or any other information.

This is our Bangladesi style.

IanW
March 16, 2006, 06:36 AM
I treat this just like a Vietnamese restaurant, or going to a German pub.

People will talk in other languages, but I just ignore anything that isnt in English.

If it's important, or they want my opinion, someone will translate, or they'll switch to English.

But this is a site about the Bangladesh Tigers, and last I looked the official language of Bangladesh wasnt English.

Ian

Edited on, March 16, 2006, 11:42 AM GMT, by IanW.

fwullah
March 16, 2006, 06:53 AM
"Most of the time it is really hard to understand what the poster was talking about."

I've read in Bangla language most of my whole life. And it is very hard for me to understand bangla in english fonts

Spitfire_x86
March 16, 2006, 07:32 AM
English is always used for the threads/posts that everyone needs to understand. Bangla is our mother tongue and we will always use Bangla when we feel the need to use it. And there's no point in using English in some cases. If someone writes a limerick in Bangla, or uses a Bangla proverb then non-Bangla speaking people aren't going to understand it anyway.

I don't like writing/reading Bangla with English alphabet, but that problem is slowing going away. Nowadays majority of posters use real Bangla when they want to write something in Bangla.

Edited on, March 16, 2006, 12:35 PM GMT, by Spitfire_x86.

Morpheous
March 16, 2006, 07:53 AM
Bhai Dhaka/Bangladesh e Boro Hoisi.....U dont measure our fanspirit with something else....Banglate na bollee bhalo lage na...

Eita amader Bangladeshi Style....whether you like it or not

fy288
March 16, 2006, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by IanW

But this is a site about the Bangladesh Tigers, and last I looked the official language of Bangladesh wasnt English.

Edited on, March 16, 2006, 11:42 AM GMT, by IanW.

Well according to Malaysian Home affairs minister Radzi Sheikh Ahmad:

"Bangladesh is an English-Speaking country and it makes little sense for them to study English here,"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4802796.stm

LOL

(Dont know anyone has seen the article above?)

Rubu
March 16, 2006, 08:33 AM
Once again, Ian is right on the money.

One thing to mention is that, if any non bengali spoken person feels like he/she needs to know the meaning of a certain post, just ask for a translation. I'm sure someone will volenteer to do that.

Another thing for braveheart, we keep the utmost pride about our language as, we are the only people in this world who has a history of sacrificing life to save a language. so, you can be sure about one thing, the use of bangla will only increase here.

Ahmed_B
March 16, 2006, 08:38 AM
Well said IanW.

However.. Bangladeshi people will surely enjoy a lot to be able to use Bangla (atleast partially) in their favorite sites. But Braveheart, you could have named this thread as "The problems of using bangla in this forum" instead of "We should be more accepting of people from other culture".

The issue you raised is not invalid. Some of our international posters will face difficulty to understand the language sometimes. But that, however, does not mean at all that we (the BC members and BD fans) are not accepting of people from other culture.

nayef
March 16, 2006, 08:45 AM
MSN probably has played an active role in the banglish style of writing... but look at other languages.. we r not the only ones writing our language in english fonts...

some expressions in bangla can't be translated perectly into english and as u know, when we get excited/angry/frustrated... we tend to express ourselves in the language we know best... we use bangla in our everyday lives... and to ask us to stop discussing in bangla about the only sport that's brought glory to our country will be unfair.

Tigers_eye
March 16, 2006, 09:04 AM
I have problems reading SMS style English. But I deal with it. I ignore their writing/post. Please feel free to ignore our benglish too. This is a public forum. Whoever chooses to write whichever way has the opportunity to do it.

About other cultural visitors/members can't read the post. I guess if they really want to know what we are posting, then they should start learning Bengali. Learning a foreign language is good for everybody. We did learn English didn't we?

As long as no forum rules are being broken, anything and everything is accepted.

I sound like a broken record. Nice post IanW.

thebest
March 16, 2006, 09:13 AM
dear braveheart,
your nick suggest you are proud of your nationality (if you take the name from the movie,which I think). But to me your post proves opposite. The language of cricket is universal so any one whether it is Xavier from Roma with little cricket history or Ian, Rob, Abhe or DJ from the nations of world cup winners understand the same. but Bengali is my mother tongue. So i would prefer to write in Bengali when I feel that I could not express clearly in English. Please also bear in mind that as far as we appreciate guest we do not take guest to our bedroom. Consider this like that.Look at . হরিহরন সুতা। আপনার কি মনে হয়, আমরা আম্পায়ারকে গালি দিছি এটা বিদেশীদের জানা উচিত? Beside if some one ask, most of thing translated to them. If you have doubt ask any of them. I think even bengali articles in Bengali has been translated for our valued guestce they requested. And Ian's logic is simply invincible. The language of Bengle tiger is বাংলা . So forum lingua franaca should have been Bengali. But I think around 5% thread and around 20% post in bangla. This is not too much I think when I think with few exception (may be 20 around 1%) forum members are non-bengali. They can read almost 80% post without any problem, while we are volunteered to translate the rest it would not be a problem for them.Please bear in mind we are only nation in the world which give life for the language. Look at so many African languages which are dying. Look at Vietnamize who changed thier alphabet. They are not any more proud. My vietnamise friend yesterday was telling me that you have your own alphabet where we are following Roman

Edited on, March 16, 2006, 2:16 PM GMT, by thebest.
Reason: grammer

Edited on, March 16, 2006, 2:17 PM GMT, by thebest.

Edited on, March 16, 2006, 2:20 PM GMT, by thebest.

Braveheart
March 16, 2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the input. I think it is very important that we embrace our culture in every way we can.

"People will talk in other languages, but I just ignore anything that isnt in English."

I personally do the same. However, we should not forget that it is very impolite to talk in a different language when you have somebody with you who might not understand the language.

"Another thing for braveheart, we keep the utmost pride about our language as, we are the only people in this world who has a history of sacrificing life to save a language. so, you can be sure about one thing, the use of bangla will only increase here."

I noticed this trend lately and that is why I thought it was a good time to bring up this issue. I am very proud of our history. We struggled a lot in last 60 years (adding 26 years before independence) as a nation to retain our Bengali identity. But, we should not forget to face the truth. It is not a language that will spread through out the world as our country is not in a imperialistic venture. Keep it in mind that English is unofficially used as the main language even in the Bangladeshi corporations. I feel really sad when I see Bangladeshi born people can’t find jobs abroad as they have poor English speaking skill, although they might retain certificate from a US school. It is important that we become more practical than emotional in our daily lives. The best example would be the Indians. Hindi is their main language but most of the people in the country are very fluent in English.

I don’t want to turn this into a political thread. As a PROUD Bengali and Bangladeshi I always want to support every aspect my country, but not at the expense of common sense. I view BanglaCricket as a forum for people who love cricket and want Bangladesh to thrive. Most of the people who visit the forum live abroad. Some might not have ever been to Bangladesh but still follow Bangladeshi Cricket as they have some kind of emotional ties. Do you really want to make them feel unwelcome? I thought I should bring up the issue as a Bengali speaking forum member.

nihi
March 16, 2006, 10:09 AM
mba: fan version

Miraz
March 16, 2006, 10:17 AM
Dear braveheart, it is not that much difficult for a Bangladeshi even if he is born and brough up abraod to understand Bangla the way we write in english alphabet. I think you just try to understand, it might be difficult ate the begining but it will be fine within days not even weeks.

Regarding other nationals visiting this site, they are welcome with some of our own style, they also might find it intersting and try to follow it.... you never know. We want to thrive with our passion and style.

'Try to enjoy our banglish writing if you don't just ignore it.'

Braveheart
March 16, 2006, 10:29 AM
“Dear braveheart,
your nick suggest you are proud of your nationality (if you take the name from the movie,which I think). But to me your post proves opposite. The language of cricket is universal so any one whether it is Xavier from Roma with little cricket history or Ian, Rob, Abhe or DJ from the nations of world cup winners understand the same.”

I loved the movie. I saw it for the first time in a Bengali Theater in Motighil, Dhaka. I loved the message in the movie as I could relate to the struggle Scottish people had to go though. Our freedom fighters had to go thru the same thing.

You have asked if foreigners should see how disgusted we were with the umpiring standards during the Bangladesh Vs Sri Lanka series.
I think both Asad Rauf and Hariharan should definitely be fired and they deserved all the curse words I uttered during our two test matches. We should use banglacricket as a platform to raise the issue of shoddy umpiring. I hope both of them would log on to banglecricket and see how much hated they are because they did not do their job. They might realize it is important to understand the rules of cricket before starting to umpire. How would they know what we called them if the post is not in English?

Vietnam went thru one of the bloodiest and unjust war against United States. But, they are embracing the English language as the nation is coming out of the third world status. I think the investment from Intel of $300 Million in the country to build a semiconductor chip plant is a testament that the country going towards the right direction. As I have said on my previous post it always helps if you are practical than emotional.

babubangla
March 16, 2006, 10:47 AM
Attn: Mods
The central point of this thread is to discuss the use of Bengali or English Language in the forum. This is not specifically targetted toward bangladesh cricket itself. Shouldn't we think about placing this thread in the Forget Cricket or Support Section?

Sauron
March 16, 2006, 11:17 AM
ব্রেভ-হার্ট ভাই, আপ্‌নি মনে হয় এক্‌টু বেশী ইংরেজী শিখে ফেলেছেন। Nothing can summarize the sitch as well as IanW's post in this thread.

If a Bangladeshi doesn't get a job because he doesn't know English well enough, tough luck. May be he should try for a different Job. And may be should all worry about keeping our own jobs.

Only if English skill was all you needed to get a job! How I wish it so.

Anyway, back to Braveheart - focus on what this section of BC is meant for - Bangladesh Cricket. You will find plenty of discussion on this subject of English Vs. Bangla usage in the Forget Cricket section. Read up on that first. Then start at the same page as everyone else.

Edited on, March 16, 2006, 4:19 PM GMT, by Sauron.

Ejaj
March 16, 2006, 11:34 AM
This is definitely an interesting post. Well 5 to 6 years ago.. when i started to join internet chat rooms.. i really had some tough time to understand what is going on. But after few months.. this bengalish writting and talking became a much more easier and freindly thing than even Bangali. So.. many ppl took this way of expressing their views. Lack of font at that time made it much easier to swith this Short cut Bengalish form. Moreover.. we already have a lot of influx of english wordls in our daily life. I think. we atleast use one or two words in english in every single line we say in bengali. So.. it really became a usual practice to accept english in out day to day life and so thus in the chat rooms. Moreover, Bengaish writting game many ppl who can just speak in bangla but cant write or read, have a scope to exchange theirr views in bangla. Difficulties in typing bangla on keyboard also makes it a much easier to choose this bengalish way of writing. Yes. sometimes its difficult to understand.. but. if someone frequently use this way to reading and writing bangla.. it wont really take long to understand it. Bengalish just uses the phonetic mechanism.. thus making it much more easier to write .

I guess.. the only suggestions will be.. to chat more in bengalish .. :D only then .. u will become a good reader.

PS. honestly.. I also have trouble understanding this bengalish post.. but.. nevertheless.. its more fun to post in bengalish rather than using bangla letters. :D

Sauron
March 16, 2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Ejaj
Bengalish just uses the phonetic mechanism.. thus making it much more easier to write .

I guess.. the only suggestions will be.. to chat more in bengalish .. :D only then .. u will become a good reader.

In fact, I type in Bangla using the exact same mechanism (phoenetic) as you use to write Banglish. It is easier and looks better. Why use a flashlight when the sun's shining?

Look here for more info if you want to - http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=15902