PDA

View Full Version : Best Strokeplayer

jayed
March 19, 2006, 07:40 AM
there are currently some sloggers and aggressive hitters, but there aren't many strokemakers, most of them dont get runs who is the best? I HAVE OMITTED 10LKAR AND LARA. don't suggest them.

kevin pietersen

justin langer

damien martyn

michael vaughan

mohammed azharuddin

laxman

mohammed yousuf

saed anwer

david gower

any1else? add some

i'd say Michael Vaughans the best strokemaker in the world over the past few years.

Edited on, March 19, 2006, 12:42 PM GMT, by Carte Blanche.
Reason: mod.content: please do not type the topic title in all caps. Also post in appropriate forum.

anakwalajinn
March 19, 2006, 09:59 AM
Anwar was quite good! :D

jayed
March 19, 2006, 12:10 PM
he was good, but had the tendency to blow his innings whilst settled

Spitfire_x86
March 19, 2006, 12:53 PM
Ponting?

jayed
March 19, 2006, 04:05 PM
ponting would be classified as more of a hitter, and a slogger. he lacks fluidity, and smoothness which is essential in nurturing a strokemaker.

Spitfire_x86
March 19, 2006, 04:18 PM
Just because Ponting can improvise doesn't mean that he's a slogger. If he's a slogger, then why is Kevin Pietersen in your list?

Locutus
March 19, 2006, 11:02 PM
Herschelle Gibbs

cricket_zenith
March 20, 2006, 06:55 AM
rahul dravid??

cricbb
March 20, 2006, 08:42 AM
pietersen or ponting

Sovik
March 20, 2006, 08:43 AM
Any Reason for omitting lara and sachin?

Tigers_eye
March 20, 2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by sovik
Any Reason for omitting lara and sachin?
Because this is the thread where you chose best stokemaker in the world who won't be listed in the top five.

bradman
tendu
lara
richards
dravid.

Tigers_eye
March 20, 2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
Because this is the thread where you chose best stokemaker in the world who won't be listed in the top five...

Come to think of it, this list should be known as best storkemaker out the top ten.

cause

Miandad
Greenidge
Srikkanth
Waugh
Border

are far better stokepayers.

jayed
March 20, 2006, 02:28 PM
i meant over the past FEW YRS not ALL TIME.

10lkar and Lara were not included bcos they always win everything. i think its beta 4 cricket to acknowledge sum other players apart from stickin 2 tendulkar this and lara that.

plus-they aren't natural strokemakers, they compromise the whole lot, slogging, strokemaking, defensive etc.

Pietersen is on my list because he is more of a new breed of unorthodox strokemakers, he is extremely stylish and varies in each shot.

if u watch any of his shots, slow motion, he bats with the motion of a stroker.

he can be branded as a 'agressive strokemaker'.

MIADAD, BORDER, BRADMAN, RICHARDS-COME ON! I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE PAST FEW YEARS!

like from 2004-2006 or similar.

dravid isn't a strokemaker, he is a defensive batsman. he has the best defence and his shots are not smooth.

Now azharuddin can be a strokemaker top 10 past few years.

U LOT MENTION RICHARDS, ETC. IF UR TALKIN ABOUT ALL TIME, ANY ONE GIVEN

-WALTER HAMMOND
-DENIS COMPTON
-D A V I D G O W E R

a thought?

Tigers_eye
March 20, 2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by jayed
MIADAD, BORDER, BRADMAN, RICHARDS-COME ON! I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE PAST FEW YEARS!

like from 2004-2006 or similar.

Really???

How come you have Azaruddin's name up there? Last I checked he retired in 2000. He was at his best in the 80's. Well, then the ones mentioned above were also performing at the highest level (with exception of the King Bradman).

Wait, do I see david Gower also in the list? when did he retire?

When you open up a thread make sure you cover all grounds. When you can't cover all grounds be courteous and give your barometers. No need to put in caps.

You are an English fan. You have your own agenda to glorify Pieterson who is not an Englishman. Fine with us. We care less. Feel free to visit all the English web-forums where they will praise you.

Tigers_eye
March 20, 2006, 03:25 PM
Jayed bro,
Explain it to me "how can a defensive player not be a stroke maker?" Have you ever watched Dravid driving? get any tape that has Dravid on it make sure you have the remote's rewind button working. Cause everytime you see him playing his shots would want to see it again.

Sovik
March 20, 2006, 06:45 PM
tendulkar and lara aren't natural strockmakers. are you kidding me?

nas
March 21, 2006, 08:49 AM
azharuddin, david gower, are they recent players???

justin langer
damien martyn are stokeplayer but pointing isnt?

jayed mate, u suck

Chris Gayle.
Nathan astle
matthew hayden
flintoff
yuvraj singh
trescothick
all good storkeplayer that arent listed above.

Hatebreed
March 21, 2006, 09:48 AM
Rahul Dravid
Mohammad Yusuf
Ricky Ponting

...any Bangladeshi stroke players?

jayed
March 21, 2006, 03:08 PM
not much, rajin saleh or bashar.

to cat_eye, sorry, i put d.gower. my bad.

just because azhar was at his best in 80's don't mean he no stroker does it? and 2000 is a few years ago, in manner of speaking.

and NAS dude, ponting aint on da list, may b ur issue, but 2 me, he lacks smoothness. he isnt smooth is he. he ins't carfree. more like wax it to hell!

i have only seen some of dravid, because i dont watch india play that much, i am only watchin eng/ind and previous pk/ind ones. but from what i've seen, he blocks one hell of a lot.

sure, ruhals offdrive is a spectacle. And wat? his flick-no, his-sweep NO.

i like that dude, but his innings are boring.

FLINTOFF IS ANOTHER AFRIDI. SIMPLE, UNSOPHISTACATED BATTIN-HOOK, PULL, SMASH. NOT DELICATE STROKEMAKER

yuvraj is one, but he isn't as good as Laxman.

TRESCOTHICK-STROKEMAKER? COME ON! GET A LIFE DUDE.

pietersen is a new breed of strokemakers, smooth yet aggressive..

Tigers_eye
March 21, 2006, 03:44 PM
to cat_eye, sorry, i put d.gower. my bad.

just because azhar was at his best in 80's don't mean he no stroker does it? and 2000 is a few years ago, in manner of speaking.
You didn't get my point. Let me try to explain one last time. At the time when Azhar was disecting the cricket fields with his glorious shots; Miadad, Richards, Waugh were equally doing the same if not better. So to include Azhar, and critisize Miadad, Richards and Waugh is I'd say lack of vision. You can not justify by saying Miandad, Richards can not be considered. More over you didn't see them play. One or two video highlight may not tell the true story. You can have anyone you wish, I really have no problem with it. But when someones says another name and you come back as that person did a crime, is not right. In your opening thread if you had said, best stroke maker who played within the last 6/7 years and goes after every single ball that would eliminate some players. That would also open up room for Ash and Aftab.

Since you did not mention that for your information:
Viv Richard was the bomb, still is the bomb, will be the bomb till someone dethornes him from his pedestal. He did not get the 196 by slogging. Last I checked thats still the record in ODI. No batsman who bats at 2 is a slogger. And if you do google on comments who bowlers fear, the answer most would give be Viv at his best. Have mercy.

i have only seen some of dravid, because i dont watch india play that much, i am only watchin eng/ind and previous pk/ind ones. but from what i've seen, he blocks one hell of a lot.
Right on the money. Great observation. There is nothing wrong to block balls. He may be boring but he is a strokemaker. He do have every shot in his bag. At times he prefers not to use it. Specially in test. The entire team needs him to stay at crease. He plays for the team not for his own sake. His ODI stricking rate is not bad at all.

yuvraj is one, but he isn't as good as Laxman.
Correct! Only 10 times better.

Sovik
March 21, 2006, 04:01 PM
jayed bro, i don't know anything about you but you need to learn more about cricket

Baundule
March 26, 2006, 01:57 PM
Javed Omar, Chanderpaul, Jimmy Adams.....?

Baundule
March 26, 2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Cats_eyeHe did not get the 196 by slogging. Last I checked thats still the record in ODI.

I think, the number is 189. The ODI record is Saeed Anwar's 194. Did I miss something?:-/

Afridi2Belfast
March 26, 2006, 02:44 PM
VVS Laxman when he is on song!

jayed
March 27, 2006, 12:41 PM
javed omar? geez. that guys gets 50 (if he gets 50) in like 3000 balls.

some blocker.

and no he cant be one.

mayb bashar, saleh and ashraful can be

Donny
April 2, 2006, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Afridi2Belfast
VVS Laxman when he is on song!

You have a good memory. ;)

jayed is what's known in Oz as a stirrer. He certainly stirs emotions in this site. :clap:

jayed
April 2, 2006, 05:54 AM
"jayed is what's known in Oz as a stirrer. He certainly stirs emotions in this site."

JUST DOING MY JOB, DONNY MY MAN!:joy:

Yameen
April 3, 2006, 04:44 PM
Jayed , i cant believe ur sayin dravid aint a strokeplayer, do u even know who this guy is??????, when u get to watch him, ur mind will be changed 4ever, he is so fluent, its unbelievable!

u shud try and access some of the innings he played in england couple years back, also in pakistan and australia, u will be amazed, as he is one of the greatest STROKEMAKERS ever to take the cricket field.

ammark
April 4, 2006, 07:15 AM
Dravid is a joy to watch. Remember his test innings vs South Africa in 1996/7. He showed what he was made of. If you want strokeplay there are plenty of people in the world who've got all the shots in the book? But are they consistent in their displays like Dravid is? Laxman's a great example: He's perfection defined when in form. So was Ganguly on his good days.

Yousuf Youhana/Md. Yousuf, Jacques Kallis, Aravinda de Silva, Gary Kirsten, Matthew Elliot (he had beautiful orthodox style), Stephen Fleming, Nathan Astle, even Michael Bevan (remember his 188* in Dhaka?) are great examples of strokeplay. Frankly there are too many to mention.

jayed
April 5, 2006, 01:48 PM
p.a.de silva- GOOD 1!!!!! extremely wristy and smooth.

sar2005
April 5, 2006, 01:58 PM
Aftab Ahmed :fire::fire:

roaring tigerz
April 7, 2006, 02:27 PM
mohammed ashraful
rahul dravid
youhana
martyn
ponting
jayawardene