PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan (356 for 7) beat MCC (185) by 171 runs

Tigers_eye
March 23, 2006, 10:24 AM
Wow! what a story!!!

Mike gatting batted for a :duck:

Here is the whole story:

Match Report - CricInfo (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/241837.html)

Mumbai was the setting for some memorable scenes on Wednesday and there was another notable occasion today. Hafti Gulabid, a fast bowler from Jalalabad, claimed the prize wicket of Mike Gatting for a duck as an Afghanistan side won their first ever match against MCC at Mumbai.

Gulabid, 22, induced an edge from Gatting's bat, and his brother Karim Khan Sadiq, 20, took the catch behind the stumps. "I am so happy, he's a senior player." said Gulabid. "I'm 22 - and he has probably been playing for longer than that."

The Afghanistan side posted a formidable 356-7 from their 40 overs against a team predominantly made up of minor counties cricketers from England. Mohammed Nabi top scored with 116. In reply, the MCC were all out for 185. ....

nayef
March 23, 2006, 01:36 PM
hahah... interesting news!

jayed
March 23, 2006, 02:02 PM
this makes me extremely honoured that our muslim countries are rapidly progressing to the higher stage.

egypt (muslim desh) won african cup of nations
pakistan are arguably the best ever subcontinental team
afghan-thrashed mcc
zidane (muslim)-best ever european footballer?
muhammad ali-do i need to explain?
amir khan,
ali jacko

hopefull they'll go further up.
who agrees wid me?

AsifTheManRahman
March 23, 2006, 03:02 PM
hahaha...some news, some news...lol

sunny747
March 27, 2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by jayed
this makes me extremely honoured that our muslim countries are rapidly progressing to the higher stage.

afghan-thrashed mcc
amir khan,
ali jacko

who agrees wid me?

:down: i don't agree with you.......if a non-muslim bangladeshi achieve something in sports i'll be more happy than if a egyptian muslim gained some............what's the point of relating sports with religion?

Kana-Baba
March 27, 2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by jayed

afghan-thrashed mcc
amir khan,
ali jacko

who agrees wid me?

hai re hai golapi
koto boro papi;)

fai_hasan
March 30, 2006, 06:10 PM
what a news:great::great:

i didn't know afganis play cricket:clap:

ASA
April 4, 2006, 07:18 PM
i am glad to learn that afghans play cricket at all - and not bad at that. however, it's really lame to claim that as an islamic progress ... there's no link what-so-ever.

TheWatcher
May 10, 2006, 02:43 AM
MCC Website (http://www.lords.org/latest-news/news-archive/afghan-cricketers-recruited-by-mcc,693,NS.html)

Date released: 3 May 2006

Marylebone Cricket Club is recruiting two young cricketers from Afghanistan. Their talent was spotted when they played key roles in steering their country to a 171 victory over the Club in the first-ever MCC v Afghanistan fixture - played, in late March, in Mumbai.

Mohammed Nabi scored an undefeated century - 116 not out - against the MCC attack, while Hamid Hassan impressed MCC's batsmen (who included Mike Gatting, the former England captain) with the skill, aggression and pace of his bowling.
Mohammed and Hamid will join MCC in mid-season and then play for the Club in another landmark match - the first-ever MCC v Europe fixture - in The Netherlands in June.

They will subsequently join the ranks of the MCC Young Cricketers at Lord's and receive expert guidance from the Club's coaching staff, which is headed by Clive Radley - the former Middlesex and England batsman.

The many Young Cricketers to have benefited from Clive's coaching - as well as the world-class fitness and practice facilities at Lord's - include Rikki Clarke (England), Hamish Marshall (New Zealand) and Darren Sammy (West Indies).

Mohammed Nabi and Hamid Hassan will spend at least a month as MCC Young Cricketers; their performances will then be reviewed, and their spells with the Club could be extended.

TheWatcher
May 11, 2006, 04:13 PM
ACC (http://www.asiancricket.org/h_0506_afghan.cfm)

The Afghan national team have announced they will embark upon a momentous journey to the UK.

National Coach, Taj Malik Alam, stated that the British International Cricket Group had invited the team over for friendly matches across England.

The Afghanis squad start with a one-day fixture against the Oxford University team.

The tour represents the continued progress of Afghanistan in the global cricketing arena. They have gained widespread praise for their developments in the game since becoming ACC members in 2003.

They have devoted cricketers and administrators and excitingly, have a passionate following amongst Afghans all around the world.

ACC Development Officer, Iqbal Sikander says, "Afghanistan's progress has been rapid. They play with great heart and fire and as soon as they acquire a broader base of knowledge and skill, they will truly be a formidable cricketing force."

Azam Khan, development officer of the Afghan Cricket Federation, has been quoted in the UK Observer newspaper saying, "When the U.S declared war on the Taliban in Afghanistan, and were dropping bombs across our beloved country, we did not withdraw from the tournaments we were in. We saw it as our mission to play on as messengers of peace and to show the world that we could spread love and peace through cricket."

Filed May 10 2006

Frost
May 12, 2006, 11:27 AM
Wow! that's some news. It's nice to see people are atking interest in the game.:up:

Anyway, I don't think we should drag religion into everything to spoil the fun. It will just create unnecessary debate.:down:

TheWatcher
May 26, 2006, 12:29 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=421 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=421>Cricket: After England, Afghans have eyes on the world
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=421>Robert Birsel (http://www.iht.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=Robert Birsel&sort=swishrank)
Reuters

FRIDAY, MAY 26, 2006

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Five years after the Taliban wanted to ban cricket because they thought it was an American sport, Afghanistan's national cricket team is about to embark on a tour of the true home of the game: England.

Imported by refugees returning home from cricket-mad Pakistan in the 1990s, the sport has attracted a huge number of players in Afghanistan. Gaggles of boys and young men play for hours on patches of dusty, sun-baked ground in the capital, Kabul, using stacks of bricks for stumps.

The national team coach, Taj Malik Alam, hopes the 18-day, seven-match tour of England, the first by an Afghan national team, will help to put Afghanistan on the world cricket map.

"If we win all the matches then we can get the attention of the international cricket community," Alam said.

"This year is very important for our cricket," he added. "I think it will be a turning point."

The tour begins with a match against Oxford University on June 11.

Cricket is now Afghanistan's third-most popular sport, after buzkashi, which involves horsemen competing for a calf or sheep's carcass, and soccer.

The game was played during the Taliban rule, but the Islamists were deeply suspicious. The Taliban religious police used to punish players for practicing when the Taliban said they should be praying.

"The Taliban were not against only cricket," Alam said. "They were against all sports."

At one time they wanted to ban it because they thought it was an American sport. The Taliban, though, were not the only Afghan rulers wary of the strange, foreign game.

"We also had some problems at the beginning of this government - they said it was a Pakistani game," Alam said. "Some governments say it's an American game, some say it's a Pakistani game."

The Afghan national team has played and done well in competitions across Asia and the Middle East, including in India, Kuwait, Malaysia, Nepal, Pakistan and the United Arab Emirates.

The team is particularly excited about playing on English pitches.

"It is a great honor to play in England," said one of the team's players, Dawlat Khan Ahmadzai. "Everyone is waiting for us to go. They want to see what we can do and we want to make the most of this opportunity."

The players also hope the tour can drum up some international backing and help to improve spartan facilities at home, where they still do not have a stadium.

"My only wish is to have proper stadiums so we can invite other teams and play them in our country," said the national team's captain, Rais Ahmadzai.

In preparation for the tour of England, the Afghan squad is to play a warmup match against a team of North Atlantic Treaty Organization peacekeepers on Monday.

Afghanistan is an affiliate member of the International Cricket Council and associate member of the Asian Cricket Council.

Alam, who is general secretary of the Afghan Cricket Federation, said the federation had 22 teams in the provinces and 12,000 registered players, with more joining every day.

Alam dreams of one day taking on the best. His team can already beat Bangladesh, he boasts, although that team is not among the finest in the world.

"We have a long way to go, but we really want to participate in the World Cup and become one of the best teams in the world," Alam said.

TheWatcher
May 26, 2006, 12:40 PM
Hot headed Afghanis have not yet realized how tough is internataional cricket. However, I still want to see them beating UAE and Oman soon.

Tigers_eye
May 26, 2006, 12:44 PM
:mad: Its not the fault of Mr. Alam. It is the fault of the stupid writer Robert Birsel (http://www.iht.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=Robert Birsel&sort=swishrank) to quote this kind of things and make his article laughable.

I feel like giving a fatwa against this writer.:mad: :E

Tigers_eye
May 26, 2006, 12:45 PM
:mad: Its not the fault of Mr. Alam. It is the fault of the stupid writer Robert Birsel (http://www.iht.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=Robert Birsel&sort=swishrank) to quote this kind of things and make his article laughable.

I feel like giving a fatwa against this writer.:mad: :E

TheWatcher
May 26, 2006, 07:56 PM
Interview of Taj Malik Alam on Afghanistan cricket (http://www.asiancricket.org/h2_afghan.cfm)

He sounds bullish, but I still liked him :lol:

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
May 27, 2006, 03:22 AM

afghan-thrashed mcc
amir khan,
ali jacko

who agrees wid me?

___Never mind ! But i wanna tell u something my friend Mr. Jayed...when Alok Kapali took hattrick we all muslims clapped and when Ashraful made hundred against Australia ,be sure that people of religions except muslims have enjoyed not even a pont less than muslims.

Cricket or any other game is not way to find which religion is best! More over we r muslims or hindu or buddhist or christans but in cricket we r just Bangladeshi...:flag:

Hasib
May 27, 2006, 09:01 AM
Great news for em...though this news is kinda old now.

al Furqaan
May 27, 2006, 10:50 PM
afghans seem to be a really athletic bunch. i think they will make good cricket players, in theory.

if it becomes popular, afghanistan can no doubt blow sri lanka out of the water in a few decades (maybe less). i wouldn't be surprised if some afghan broke shoaibs speed records.

but as far as beating us now, that won't happen in a million matches. but if it gets popular, the afghans could be amazing.

TheWatcher
May 28, 2006, 04:52 AM
Well, at this point, the actuall goal of Afghan Cricket is not world domination, it is something better than that.

From CI- (http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/NATIONAL/ICC_MEMBERS/AFG/)

Allah Dad Noori, the founder of the Afghanistan Cricket Federation, was playing one day in Kabul when a young man walked by carrying an AK47, watched for a while before being invited to join in. Afterwards, he asked if he could play next time. When he returned he was without the rifle. “Where’s your AK47?” asked Noori. “Oh, I don’t need that,” the youth replied. “I’m playing cricket!” The aim of the ACF is to get all the men of Afghanistan to choose cricket instead of guns.

Miraz
May 28, 2006, 05:20 AM
Alam dreams of one day taking on the best. His team can already beat Bangladesh, he boasts, although that team is not among the finest in the world.

"We have a long way to go, but we really want to participate in the World Cup and become one of the best teams in the world," Alam said.

Quite funny to hear that. I am quite surprised that he picked Bangladesh not Kenya or Zimbabwe first. BCB sould invite Afghans and arrange some cricket matches with our age group teams or some club teams. They should soon understand the level of cricket at the internatrional level. I wish them good luck.

Frost
May 28, 2006, 02:54 PM
I guess, Afghans want a spot in the test arena directly (without going through ICC trophy, cricket infrastructures, etc.:-) Good luck for them.:D

TheWatcher
July 2, 2006, 01:19 PM
Playing strong opposition throughout, including three county 2nd XIs, Afghanistan fought hard to win all but one of their matches. Their one loss came against a Loughborough University Cricketing Centre of Excellence side by just one wicket.

RESULTS: (All matches 50 overs unless stated)

June 11, 2006 – Hoddesdon v Afghanistan at Lowfield
AFGHANISTAN WON BY 57 RUNS
Afghanistan: 347 in 40 overs (M. Nabi 152* , N. Mangal,60, N. Ali 61, K. Sadiq 47)
Hoddesdon: 290 all out in 38 overs (R. Patel 75, T. O’Gorman 80; D. Ahmadzai 5-37)

June 14, 2006 - Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst v Afghanistan at Camberley
AFGHANISTAN WON BY SEVEN WICKETS
RMA: 132 in 34 overs (M. Sheeran 64; M. Nabi 4-22)
Afghanistan: 133 in 19 overs (K. Sadiq 73)

June 15, 2006 – Glamorgan 2nd XI v Afghanistan at Swansea
AFGHANISTAN WON BY TWO WICKETS
Glamorgan 205 all out (R. Ahmadzai 3 wickets)
Afghanistan 207 for 8 (M. Nabi 60, N. Mangal 42)

June 19, 2006 – Loughborough UCCE v Afghanistan at Loughborough
AFGHANISTAN LOST BY ONE WICKET
Afghanistan: 258 (K. Dad 53, M. Asghar 42, R, Ahmadzai 43, M. Nabi 42)
Loughborough: 260 for 9

June 20, 2006 – Essex 2nd XI v Afghanistan at Billericay
AFGHANISTAN WON BY ONE WICKET
Essex: 238 (G. Flower 40, W. Jefferson 80)
Afghanistan: 240 for 9 (M. Nabi 104, K. Sadiq 46)

June 21, 2006 - Leicestershire 2nd XI v Afghanistan at Hinckley Town
AFGHANISTAN WON BY 6 RUNS
Afghanistan: 290 (N. Ali 104, M. Sami 66)
Leicestershire: 284 (D. Ahmadzai 4 wickets)

June 22, 2006 - Ditchling CC v Afghanistan at Ditchling
AFGHANISTAN WON BY 96 RUNS
Afghanistan: 311 in 40 overs (N. Mangal 97, K. Sadiq 48)
Ditchling: 215 (D. Ahmadzai 4 wickets)

Full Story (http://www.asiancricket.org/h_270606_afghan.cfm)

Tehsin
July 2, 2006, 02:43 PM
Playing strong opposition throughout, including three county 2nd XIs, Afghanistan fought hard to win all but one of their matches. Their one loss came against a Loughborough University Cricketing Centre of Excellence side by just one wicket.

Full Story (http://www.asiancricket.org/h_270606_afghan.cfm)

Ummm, Strong opposition ? I'd give them the three County 2ND XIs but I don't think there were any real strong/serious opponents. I'd love for the Afgan's to play and beat UAE, Hong Kong, and Nepal before I even consider them strong enough to be in the same league as Canada (who are below Namibia, Kenya, Holland, Scotland and Ireland). As for the comments, they come from a region where people are known to be (personal experience included) headstrong and to be politically correct - NAIVE.

IN my estimation though, they may be good enough to compete alongside UAE and Nepal but until they actually play this matches, we won't know, would we ?

Tehsin
July 2, 2006, 03:05 PM
Looks like I (and the Afgan team) am going to get my wish. The ACC Trophy starts next month and here's the link. Let's keep an eye on our budding Asian neighbors and see how they have learned form their British adventure:

http://www.asiancricket.org/h_acctour06_schedule.cfm

The first round should be a breeze against teams like Qatar, Thailand, Iran, and Indonesia.

Another tournament to keep an eye on is the ACC 3day championship (Hong Kong, Malaysia, Nepal, Singapore and UAE, the TOP five second tier teams in Asia are playing in the 2006 ACC Premier League. Maybe Afgans will be able to get into this league next year)

http://www.asiancricket.org/h_accpremleague06_schedule.cfm

For the under 15s, because of the point system, Afganistan didn't make it to the semifinals. However, result wise, they were one of the better teams here:
http://www.asiancricket.org/cnt_accu15elite06.cfm

Look at th result of the final match from the ACc Middle East Cup. Bahrain is not a good team by any stretch of the imagination but guess who won that match back in February of this year?
http://www.asiancricket.org/h_mideastcup06_results.cfm

Captain
July 2, 2006, 07:41 PM
little off the topic,but Tehsin ,in your signature(1st Line), should not it be :

Bangladesh - World Champions - World Cup 2007
as in the 2nd line it is mentioned(is it a quasi-translation of the 1st line)
Bangladesh - Bishwa champion - Bishwacup cricket 2007

Why omit the word in the 1st line ? Curious to know.

Tehsin
July 4, 2006, 11:34 AM
I goofed up. Kinda like the Afgan cricket official. :)

Tigers_eye
July 6, 2006, 09:53 AM

Look at th result of the final match from the ACc Middle East Cup. Bahrain is not a good team by any stretch of the imagination but guess who won that match back in February of this year?
http://www.asiancricket.org/h_mideastcup06_results.cfm (http://www.asiancricket.org/h_mideastcup06_results.cfm [/quote)
I am going to play devil's advocate here.
I see Afgans beating the Kuwait and Saudi teams comfortably. Kuwait in return beat the bahrain team. Because of the rain delay Afgans counld not play the weakest team iran. Also Bahrain's wins against Saudi arabia and Afgans are not convincing.

I think they (Afgan) can compete in the next level with the UAE's, malay's and nepal. The gap is not that wide.

AsifTheManRahman
July 6, 2006, 01:56 PM
khaise...afghanistan to dekhi pitay jhajhra banay dise...quality of opponent jai hok, chollish overe shaare tinsho r unish overe eksho tirish kora to r kothar kotha na...taaw abar ek matche grant flowero chilo onno dole...hmm...

Bearman
July 14, 2006, 04:42 PM
I really think you guys are underestimating the potential in Afghanistan. The Sport is ALREADY popular there. In 10 years they have already got more players than long standing associate nations such as Holland and Kenya who have been going 100 years+, and there are probably thousands who aren't registered. They may not have been playing the best teams in England BUT...
1. They would have been totally alien conditions, most of these guys won't have been further than India before.
2. Given the lack of infrastructure the XI they sent out was probably far from the best in Afghanistan.
3. County 2nd XIs are not that bad, most of these guys would be professional or semi professional
4. Winning so many matches on a tour is not a fluke, the only match they lost (narrowly) was to Loughborough who are by far the best sports university in England.

What Afghan Cricketers need is recognition, and I think Bangladesh of all Cricket nations should give it to them.

AsifTheManRahman
July 15, 2006, 11:10 AM
yes, let's not undermine what they've achieved on this english tour, which was a lot more than anyone could expect from a war-stricken nation. i'm pretty sure a lot of other associates wouldn't be able to leave england, where cricket is always difficult, with a similar performance. with a proper infrastructure, these guys can go far.