PDA

View Full Version : which of these players r on course to become cricketing legends

jayed
March 27, 2006, 04:19 PM
there are some cricketers, in the world who r playin have already ascended to legend status, 10Lkar, lara, warner.
they now join the likes of beefy botham, sobers, bradman, viv, imran, hadlee etc.

which of the below have the potential FROM THE LAST FEW YEARS and now and probably will end up as legends.

IF U HAVE ANYMORE SUGGESTIONS PLZ COME FORWARD AND SAY- AND PLZ NO STUPID SUGGESTIONS LIKE- AFTAB AHMED WILL BE A CRICKET LEGEND. it aint gonna happen.

Yameen
March 27, 2006, 04:55 PM
bres, what u on? some of them mentioned are ALREADY legends?! like murali, jaysurya, flintoff, gilly, waqar, akram, macgrath, definite legends! havent u watched cricket bfor mate????

jayed
March 27, 2006, 05:11 PM
no, they r. but not OFFFICIAL.

u think they r. if u go 2 a white guy, he'll tell ya bradman is a legend. these are definite legends.

-hadlee
-sobers
-bradman
-botham
-imran
-lara
-tendulkar
-kapil dev
-warner

THESE R RECOGNISED. 10 yrs l8er in books, those names will appear. i think murali will go down more as the bowler full of controversy

bdmoderator
March 27, 2006, 05:46 PM
I think gilchrist as wktkeeper.

Locutus
March 27, 2006, 10:45 PM
I don't get it. The people that you listed are laready legends. i.e. muttiah murali, Wasim Akram, Glen McGrath, S. Jayasuria

Rabz
March 28, 2006, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by jayed
no, they r. but not OFFFICIAL.

u think they r. if u go 2 a white guy, he'll tell ya bradman is a legend. these are definite legends.

i think murali will go down more as the bowler full of controversy

so u set ur life and belief based on what the white guys say?

just bcuz english n aussie newspapers say murali is controversial..u take thier word like holy grail...??

mate..get a life....learn to hv ur own opinion....

most of the ppl u mentioned in ur least..r already a legend..
its just they r still playin cricket...

realElastic
March 28, 2006, 06:26 AM
Of the current players, the following players (after their retirement) will be spoken of in the same breath as the past greats like Sobers, Vivian Richards, Barry Richards, John Snow, Kallicharan, Gavaskar, Lillee, Thompson etc. :

Australia: Shane Warne, Glichrist, McGrath, Bret Lee
New Zealand: None
England: Kevin Pieterson, Andrew Flintoff
South Africa: Herschelle Gibbs
West Indies: Lara
India: Tendulkar, Dravid, Shewag, Kumble
Pakistan: Inzamam-ul-Haq, Shoaib Akthar
Sri Lanka: Murali, Jayasuriya, Vaas
Zimbabwe: None
Bangladesh: None

The countries with no player or just one player listed against them have good players who team up to produce good results for them. There are good players who will not necessarily become legends. Else there will be too many legends !

Rabz
March 28, 2006, 08:51 AM
RealElastic:
mate i don think there is any quota for the number of legends we have..any player can become a legend with their own merit...

here is a few u missed out:
Australia: u telling me Ponting wont be a legend ?? look at the guy's current form...he may well be the one of the higest IF NOT THE HIGHEST test run scores of the game...

NZ : i believe Fleming is a legend..he is well regarded as the best captain of the world....he might not hv a great record but hell he surely deserves to be in the legendary status...

England : its still to early to say bout KP....long way to go for him to

SA: what bout Pollock ? the guy is a mean-machine when comes to condeding runs...he has been a superb player over the years...

jayed
March 28, 2006, 12:06 PM
look, i meant each person from each country will have different ideas, i went 2 my cousin in bd or in a (south asian) and said somthing about bradman, and all he says was 'r u confused with tendulkar, who is bradman?'.

whilst a person from eng would say- botham is a legend etc.

i am depicted views from both sides, i am neutral.

Tigers_eye
March 28, 2006, 01:03 PM
each country has their own legends. They become legends by performing extra ordinary in games where everyone says, "Wow!! never saw that, what a performance." This continues to grow with repeated performance.

Those who don't know cricketing history would not know bradman (in BD- only natural).

To expand on realElastics list:
I'd like to add Kallis, Flemming, Ponting, Afridi (ODI records), Pollock

Subtract: Bret Lee, Pieterson, Shoaib, Shewag.

mhferdaus
March 28, 2006, 07:59 PM
You forgot a lot of great legends, Johnty, Javed Miandad, kallis the wonder game man of match gibbs.

Baundule
March 31, 2006, 08:19 AM
funny poll. you can select only one player :lol:

jayed
March 31, 2006, 10:41 AM
well if u feel all of them deserve to b legends, baundi, pick one, and the other and other each. and i cant help it if the poll works dat way.:info:

Tigers_eye
March 31, 2006, 10:54 AM
Now it is too late. But you could put "all of the above" and "some of the above - Please explain". That way members could chose multiple. That is the reason I did not vote.

pagol-chagol
March 31, 2006, 12:42 PM
muttiah murali -Already
andrew flintoff - On his way
jayasuria - Already (not stats, he changed the game)
i. ul-haq - Almost there
dravid - Almost there.
gilchrist as wktkeeper - Already. Greatest ever.
hussey? avg in test-78 ? - Could be.
ponting - Almost there.
harmison - Could become.
shoaib - Could become.
brett lee - Could become.
mcgrath - Already
akram - Already. Could be the greatest all time pacer.
waqar - Close but no champagne.
pietersen - Could become.
danish kaneria - Unlikely to reach it before he retires.
Warne - already.
Lara - Already.
G Smith - on his way.
Tendu - alrdeady.
Kumble - in India he is. not internationally.

sar2005
April 1, 2006, 07:31 AM
Perhaps, we need a clarification from the owner of this thread what jayed actualy meant by the word 'LEGEND'. What is the definition?

jayed
April 1, 2006, 03:04 PM
i meant, the all-time legends, the elite of the elite. the epitome of cricket, the ppl which remind u of the word.

i mean, tendulkar, lara, imran, the don (bradman), the master (hobbs), w.g. grace (arguably the finest allrounder ever), viv, gavaskar, lilee, wasim, mgrath, walsh etc.

mhferdaus
April 1, 2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by jayed
i meant, the all-time legends, the elite of the elite. the epitome of cricket, the ppl which remind u of the word.

i mean, tendulkar, lara, imran, the don (bradman), the master (hobbs), w.g. grace (arguably the finest allrounder ever), viv, gavaskar, lilee, wasim, mgrath, walsh etc.

and you forgot about the legendary fielder johnty rhodes, windies great greenidge, super allrounder jacques kallis and last but not least javed miandad the legendary crisis man.