PDA

View Full Version : Ponting up with the greats - ICC ratings

Donny
March 30, 2006, 05:40 AM
After Ricky Ponting's twin centuries against Sth. Africa, his rating improved to 937, only 5 points more and he'll have reached the lofty position of being second only to The Don.

Highest ever ratings:

Don Bradman - 961
Peter May - 941
Jack Hobbs - 941
Viv Richards - 938
Garry Sobers - 937
Ricky Ponting - 937
Clyde Walcott - 937
Matt Hayden - 935
Brian Lara - 911
-----------------------------

Of the current batsmen, these are their highest ratings:

Tendulkar 898
Kallis 896
Dravid 892
Vaughan 876
Gilchrist 874

All of those have reached #1 at some stage.

Inzamam 870
Sehwag 854
Martyn 848

nayef
March 30, 2006, 08:32 AM
Pontings really hit a purple patch this season.... although it means bad news for us in the upcoming series.. i also cant wait for the Ashes... i'm sure Ponting will answer with the bat

Some of the other names in that list suggests sheer weight of his performances:bravo:

jayed
March 30, 2006, 11:35 AM
i think he will overcome the lot. but overtake jack hobbs, and the don? WOW:clap:

but i doubt he will ever be better than the 2 greatest batsman ever in the history of the game. the don and the master.

in the ashes, i doubt it.
-he wont be able to fend off flintoff-simon jones-harmi
-he'll do excellent against the spinners though-ASHLEY GILES? JEEZ!

Donny
March 30, 2006, 08:47 PM
Flintoff and Jones do have that bit of class but when they come out here, they won't be using the same ball or have the same conditions as in England.

Hoggard has also become a class bowler and he and Fred bowled well in India recently.

To put Harmy in the same group is to greatly over rate him. He doesn't really know how to use his natural talents - pace and bounce - to advantage.

Apart from the Lord's Test where he took wickets but England lost, Vaughan really only used him to take the shine off the ball for FF and Jones. He spent most of the other 4 Tests banished to the outfield.

Of course, Ponting will have a burning desire to score big runs against the Poms and he will. :)

RazabQ
March 30, 2006, 08:53 PM
Donny, Harmy might be more effective on the harder Australian pitches than he was in England. Also observers reckon he's bowled really well in India and Pakistan without much lukc. BTW, do you really live in a volcano?

Donny
March 30, 2006, 10:11 PM
Hello, Razab. :)

Yes, I live in an old volcano crater which restricts line of sight mobile phone reception.

It also seriously interferes with free to air television so I don't get to see the Tests and ODIs over our summer as Kerry Packer's (now James Packer's) TV channel has the rights but I'm happy to say I now have satelite TV which enables me to see nearly all overseas Tests and ODIs.

Yes, Harmy may bowl well out here but has been ordinary in 5 previous Tests in Australia with 13 wickets @ 42.7 runs per wicket. On what is considerered to be one of the best fast bowler's wickets in the world, Perth, he took 1/86.

On England's tour of Sth. Africa where Hoggard starred with the ball, Harmison took 9 wickets @ 73.2 in the 5 Tests ! He did bowl some stunning spells against the Windies but, let's face it, they are rated 8th. of the Test playing nations. His 7/12 certainly looked nice but did include 3 'bunny' tailenders - Best, Sanford and Edwards.

jayed
March 31, 2006, 10:37 AM
Right, Donny, do u think however, Ponting, nt in terms of ratings, do u think he will ever take over the don and the master?

Donny
March 31, 2006, 10:47 PM
Considering the very best players since Bradman average at least 40 less - not 4 or 14 or 24 - that's out of the question.

Who are you calling 'the master'? If you mean Sach, yes. He's already done it.

In terms of playing his heart out for the team, leadership (as in leading by example. I'm not saying he's a brilliant tactician), playing the big innings when really needed - never better demonstrated than in the last ODI WC final where he scored a scintillating century - described thus: "an assault of a ferocity not previously seen in the 28-year history of the World Cup. Ponting's thrilling 140 off 138 balls, which included eight sixes, and Martyn's flawless 88 off 84 balls propelled Australia to a total of 359 for 2" In answer, SRT was out for 4 in the first over - and scoring vital centuries resulting in Test victories.

He surpasses SRT in all of those.

jayed
April 1, 2006, 06:26 AM
master is referring to jack hobbs, that was his nickname,
don bradman- the don
jack hobbs- the master
wg grace- the doctor
warne- spin doctor
hadlee- sir richard the lionheart
imran-captain marvel
lilee-the menace
viv-the dismisser
etc.
gavasker-little master

even though he has surpassed tendulkar in terms of rating- 4get the r8ings, ponting is in his prime, but can u really say he is better than tendulkar, when he is in his prime, who does the rest of the world fear, when he comes 2 the crease, they fear tendulkar, not ponting.

jayed
April 1, 2006, 06:28 AM
no 1 in history has ever scored more runs than him, jack hobbs, 61,490 runs with 200 centuries and 273 50's. he was a decent bowler, taking 108 at 25.03. beat that ponting.

jayed
April 1, 2006, 06:31 AM
not event the don scored more runs than him overall, apart from the 99.4 of don to hobb's 60ish

sar2005
April 1, 2006, 07:20 AM
Ponting will even have a good opportunity to increase it while he would be playing agains BD, willn't he?

Donny
April 1, 2006, 10:11 AM
"who does the rest of the world fear, when he comes 2 the crease, they fear tendulkar, not ponting."

This is just not the case anymore. Nobody fears SRT when he has walked out to bat over the last few years. Respect? Yes. Fear? No.

Even when he gets past 10 these days, he scores so slowly that he's not a problem.

jayed
April 1, 2006, 02:58 PM
oh, so ur sayin donny, that OVER the past FEW years, they feared ponting till they filled their under garment boxes with the yellow stream we fountain out once in a whole?

no.

only over the past FEW months, they 've seriously feared him.

and donny, tendulkar, in the 1995-2000 was the king. and in 2003, wc, he scored more runs than ponting. and he avged 62.

also, how come, when tendulkar was dismissed 4, 4, in the final, ppl were shocked and exuberent?

Donny
April 1, 2006, 09:45 PM
jayed, where did I say anyone fears Ponting?

Who cares how many runs an individual scores in a tournament when they fail in the most important match?

Shocked and exuberant? Well, I suppose the Indian fans were shocked because he played such a silly shot to get out in the first over after already getting off to a safe start with a nice boundary.

If you watch the Aussies play, you will notice they are exuberant after every wicket. :)

jayed
April 2, 2006, 06:02 AM
i admit that ponting is going on one hell of a run, but the same could be said 4 alot of batsman, vaughan in 03 was the best in the world, and look at him now. a shadow of his former self.

ponting may be so good now, but sometime he may go down.
and i doubt it.

when b.lee got freddies wiki in the ashes trent bridge, he was like 'YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!HAAA AHAHHAHHAHA!"

but in something like edgbaston, they wipe up giles or some1 and they're like, ok!

the aussies were over excited when they got the big 1 out.

thebest
April 2, 2006, 06:56 AM
Dear Donny,
don't argue with Jayed. He is a grumpy pom. Thinking Harmy, 'Cheat' Vaughny, 'Cheat' Jones are the greatest on earth. Ponting may be a dumb captain but definately the greatest batsman on his generation and with Lara and Inzy the greatest match winner of the last decade.

Edited on, April 2, 2006, 11:56 AM GMT, by thebest.
Reason: grammer

Miraz
April 2, 2006, 07:07 AM
Ponting is really a class batsman. He is a natural aggressive stroke maker. Sachin has past his best days but still has got the ability to do anything against any opposition. He is an alltime great like Brian Lara.

Ponting is a great batsman of modern day cricket. Stylish but aggressive. I think he is a blend of Mark Waugh and Dean Jones. I think he getting closer to be an alltime great.

He is getting better every year. He is much more consistent and fit than Vaughny. I will not be surprised if if Ponting tops the list of most test runs when he bows out.

Huda
April 2, 2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Donny
Considering the very best players since Bradman average at least 40 less - not 4 or 14 or 24 - that's out of the question.

Who are you calling 'the master'? If you mean Sach, yes. He's already done it.

In terms of playing his heart out for the team, leadership (as in leading by example. I'm not saying he's a brilliant tactician), playing the big innings when really needed - never better demonstrated than in the last ODI WC final where he scored a scintillating century - described thus: "an assault of a ferocity not previously seen in the 28-year history of the World Cup. Ponting's thrilling 140 off 138 balls, which included eight sixes, and Martyn's flawless 88 off 84 balls propelled Australia to a total of 359 for 2" In answer, SRT was out for 4 in the first over - and scoring vital centuries resulting in Test victories.

He surpasses SRT in all of those.

SRT in his prime was a better player IMO than ponting now. SRT has had to play the WORLDS best attack over his time, which Ponting hasnt had to because, because obviosuly his team had the best bowling attack. Secondly, SRT has had the pressure of a country full of cricket maniacs, unbelivable pressure, that dravid now experiences. SRT was one player that ripped apart Shane Warne, in india. Every shot he plays is so sublime. In ponting there is atendency of more lbw's.

Im not disregarding Ponting, he is a class player, but in my book Lara and SRT are just that one league above him, because they were the best batsmen in the team from the start, carried the team by themselves on numerous occasions, and most importantly, played against the likes of Mcgrath, Warne, Dizzy in their prime, and still succeded.

jayed
April 2, 2006, 03:17 PM
hoo u callin grumpy pom? atleast we dont hurl abuse like ponting wen he gets out? u sore wallaby?

thebest
April 2, 2006, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by jayed
hoo u callin grumpy pom? atleast we dont hurl abuse like ponting wen he gets out? u sore wallaby?

No you cheat, bend rule to get opposition player out. Remember Riverside, Edbadgeston, Faisalabad?

jayed
April 3, 2006, 01:12 PM
but theres nothing in the cricketing law that states that we cannot sub a player. nothing.

thebest
April 3, 2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by jayed
but theres nothing in the cricketing law that states that we cannot sub a player. nothing.
that is called bending the law. How about claiming drop catch

jayed
April 4, 2006, 03:27 PM
well, there nothin in the cricketing law about bendin the law by hurlin abuse after every dismissal

Donny
April 5, 2006, 12:07 AM
Do the last few posts really have anything to do with the topic?

jayed
April 5, 2006, 01:03 PM
not really donny my man! i think you should direct that 2 the author of the 'grumpy pom' axiom

roaring tigerz
April 5, 2006, 05:03 PM
At this very moment Ricky Ponting is the best batsman...by a mile in both ODIs and Tests. He has all the ingredients you would want in a perfect batsman. His back foot play and horizontal bat shots are exemplary. Equally ferocious on both sides of the wicket. Technically superb both against pace and spin. Plays at the crucial number 3 position. Besides all his natural skills, Ponting has also developed the mental strength needed to score big hundreds against the best attacks when it is needed the most. The hundreds at the 2003 WC finals or the match saving innings at Ashes exposed the full gamut of Ponting's reportoire.
I am sure Ponting would want to rectify his current record in the subcontinent. Although he loves to dominate the spinners, his performances in the subcontinent are not on par with his overall record. If he continues to play the same way he has been doing, Ponting will definitely be mentioned in the same breath as the greatest batsmen who played this game.

Edited on, April 5, 2006, 10:04 PM GMT, by roaring tigerz.

Edited on, April 5, 2006, 10:08 PM GMT, by roaring tigerz.

Jack47
April 6, 2006, 09:22 AM
I never really rated Ponting untill after he became captain, but now I do... he may not be as naturally talented as Lara or Tendulkar, but I think he may be a 'more valuable' player for two reasons.

1) he has always played his best cricket in big games and under pressure.

2) since he entered the Australian team he he has slowly but surely improved his technique and results.

Donny
April 14, 2006, 09:46 AM
Quote from the Cricinfo report of the wonderful Banglas v. Aussies Test.

"Ponting's effort must go down as another classic.

Australia, who haven't lost a Test since surrendering the Ashes, were in danger of falling prey to one of the biggest upsets in Test history if not for Ponting's most meaningful hundred this year."

This year. Says it all, really. It's halfway through April.

How badly must Sachin, BCL, Flem or MV (although I hesitate to put him in the company of the other 3) crave such an accolade ?

thasan
April 14, 2006, 03:20 PM
ponting has an exceptional level of determination.
he is up there with the greatest players...and i think to lot of ppl, he is better than lara or even sachin not in terms of brillinace but in terms of sheer determination.

bidrohi
April 14, 2006, 03:53 PM
donny, ok, lara is superior 2 mv, but FLEMING? come on. more like u shud b sayin u r hesitatin 2 put flemin in those 3.

atleast vaughany is a tactical thinka, and sacrificed his own battin 2 the aid of england, b4 captaincy, he avged 58-60 and after that he avgs somthin around 45-48 now.

cafe_coffee_day
April 20, 2006, 07:31 AM
ponting has an exceptional level of determination.
he is up there with the greatest players...and i think to lot of ppl, he is better than lara or even sachin not in terms of brillinace but in terms of sheer determination.

Not anymore in the ICC Rankings, DHONI is world NUMBER 1

http://in.sports.yahoo.com/060420/211/63o7p.html

Tigers_eye
April 20, 2006, 03:35 PM
Cafe,
You may have misunderstood. This thread is for test and you are pointing to ODI. Ponting is still the leader in test (as much as I hate to say it).