PDA

View Full Version : Whom do you think as the best captain in World Cricket

Miraz
April 2, 2006, 07:20 AM
We have really seen some great Captains in world cricket whol led the team with examples. Sometimes captaincy by few great players have changed the whole attitude of a team. Imran Khan can be the best example. Again somone like Stephen Flemming for his calculated tactics.

Whom do you think as the best captain ever in World Cricket. I am limiting the names as per my perception if you like to name someone different, please do that

thebest
April 2, 2006, 07:42 AM
Where is Douglas Jardin? Mike Brearly? Don?

Miraz
April 2, 2006, 08:04 AM
Douglas Jardin was captain for just 15 tests and Mike Brearly for 31 tests, but Brearly's performance as a batsman was not good at all avg 22.38 (career avg 22.88). Well they have good records as a captain, I agree.

But I have not only taken records to judge captaincy.

Yes Don's name should be there. But he he is more known as an all time great batsman than a captain.

certainly you have the freedom to name anyone. I will be happy if you kindly provide explanations for your inclusion.

thebest
April 2, 2006, 08:58 AM
This may be an interesting thread I hope. Lets place my case

DJ: What you want from a captain? for me one of them should be always thinking about how to win. If you watch the bodyline you could find that. And if you have to face a run machine like Don than you have to device innovative strategy. He did that. Ok that was not his idea. But he have the guts to implement that going againest the establishment. To me he is the greatest captain ever.
MB: he may be very oridanary batsman. But this psychologist know how to get the best out of his team mates. The pinnacle may be Botham's Ashes. Look how he get the best out of Botham after Botham's absymal performance in the previous test. The record speaks itself.
Don: What can I say about him? His brilliance as captain may be clouded beacuse he is the greatest batsman.
In my earlier post I forgot other two: Frank Worrel and Richi Benaud

FW: As a captain one have to have the absoulte trust of his teammate and FW have it. In one match againest England Wes Hall bowled 3 hrs 40 min on a trot (both side of tea break). and after the spell he told he never feel he is bowling so long. He was telling that he thought his captain would not do anything that would hurt him. I wonder any of pace bowler could tell something like that after bowling 3 hrs in a trot.

RB: We already know what a cricket brain he has during his commentry. Actually RB with FW revive test cricket in australia and west indies during 60s. In his team only two players were actually world class Alan Davidson and Neil Hurvey when he started. But he made australia a formidable unit.

Of your selection, Kapil and Viv are more impulsive in Tendu mode. That is they want team mates should follow the high standard set by them irrespective of team mates abilty.

Actually Sobers is a poor captain AFAI understand.
It might be also true for Waugh. Remember how many time Lara beat SW team single handly. with the one of the greatest team ever to grace cricket field Waugh failed to defend 300+, 400+ score. Same also true for LLoyod. But they were good captain but not in the same league say a Imran or Brearly
Thank you and looking for more comments

Miraz
April 2, 2006, 11:35 AM
Richie Benaud was a very intelligent crickieter and a great allrounder of his time. But his captaincy span was that long (just 28 matches), Frank Worrel was even shorter (15 tests).

I recognize them as very good captain but could not include in the list of all time great due to their short span.

I do not know why you are syaing Sobers as a poor captain :-/

Sobers was a great captain and was very attacking and inspiring. Check his records and few articles on BBC sport.

I am speechless about your comment regarding Lloyd and Waugh. I really don't know you really meant that:-/

Lara is a great batsman, he showed his talents against every opposition and also again Australia. Friend thats not the only thing to judge Waugh. The way waugh dominted the field was simply outstanding. I can recall one of the comments made by Bucknor 'It is most difficult to tackle Waugh as a captain and second is Ganguly' in the field'. They imparted the real fighting spirit in the game.

Lloyd ? May be you don't like him that much, otherwise hardly you would find any negatives in his leading. He dominated world cricket for almost a decades with his brilliance.

jayed
April 2, 2006, 03:13 PM
border, viv, goochie

reinausagi
April 2, 2006, 03:23 PM
A. Kardar, M.A.K. Pataudi, Arjuna Ranatunga, Ian Chappel, Nasser Hussain, Clive Lloyd, Richard Hadlee, Mike Brearly, Andy Flower and Ali Bacher.

Yameen
April 3, 2006, 06:45 AM
good points reinausagi, in particular Pataudi, he would be my pick

Hatebreed
April 3, 2006, 07:55 AM
Steve Waugh!

Miraz
April 3, 2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks reinasugi for mentioning the name of Ranatunga. I should have included him. Record is not good for him as we all understand Srilanka was within the building up phase but he was a real brave captain.

A leader who knows how to protect his mates. :up:

Edited on, April 3, 2006, 1:08 PM GMT, by Miraz.

thebest
April 3, 2006, 08:25 AM
Miraz Bhai,
let me make myself clear something which you feel confusing.
RB/ FW issue
In there days tests were not as frequent as now a days. In a 14years test carreer RB played only 63 tests and missed only 4 tests. For FW it is 51 tests in 16 years career with 23 missed match ( 4 series in India, Pakistan , new zealland and 1 series in WI). So on average they played less than 5 test compare to present days where Ricky Ponting took less than 10 years to complete 100 test. So 15 or 28 tests is quite good number. In my earlier post I fail to mention FW is the only player to play in a series named after him (Frank Worrel Trophy between Aus-WI started in 1961 series). Greatness is not a number but the respect also included.

Issues of Sobers

Sobers is the greatest all rounder (on batting, bowling, fielding skill) to grace cricket world. But whenever talk about Sobers captaincy come first it refer to port of spain test in 1968. When Sobers sportingly but foolishly lose the test. And his record as captain is not good it is only 23% winning compare to that Brearly has 58% record.

Waugh and lloyod

Lloyd, Waugh and Don have team of 11 matchwinners. Any Tom,Jack and Harry can be the captain and in most cases win the matches. But with Don's captaincy the simply crused the opponents. The team 1948s invincibles beat in england was actually one hell of team much better than the teams Waugh and Lloyd beat. But when some team rises to the occasion as a capatin the fail to crush it. For Lloyod when India chased down then world record 404 and for Waugh it was when WI chased 416.
With the best bowling line up if u can not defend 400+ run 4th innings then might be something wrong in captaincy. That is my point.

sar2005
April 3, 2006, 09:52 AM
Imran Khan.

Tigers_eye
April 3, 2006, 10:16 AM
1. Waugh
2. Waugh
3. Waugh.

No one better, no one more aggressive, no one more competitive, no one more living by example.

4. Doesn't matter to me.

Miraz
April 3, 2006, 10:25 AM
Dear thebest,

Thanks for clarifying ur point regarding FW/RB. Still I can't take them as the best captain ever.

Regarding Sobers if you look other way he lost only 25% matches as a captain. You would probably agree during his time results in test matches were not that frequent like today.

I do agree port-of-spain test was a hiccup for sobers. Probably he was a bit desperate about results and though England will probably fail to reach 215 in stipulated 54 overs. Thats a rare misjudgement although scoring @ 4 per over at that time was quite rare in tests.

Having a good team does not lower the greatness of its captain. Australia was not at all a formidable test side during Border's time but was converted into the world leaders first by taylor and finally by Waugh. Thats again the greatness of waugh who installed that sort of killer instinct in Australian side.

Warne was not there against WI and that was a desperate team effort from WI after trailing 3-0.

jayed
April 3, 2006, 01:24 PM
Nasser Hussain? gosh. he's rubbish. and a half.
if hussain is up there, vaughan should be. imran khan and s.r.waugh would be good candid8es

James90
April 3, 2006, 08:35 PM
Mark Taylor.

cricket_zenith
April 4, 2006, 07:41 AM
though ganguly is not liked by n e 1 but i still feel dat wot ganguly had is lacked by dravid!!
i mite rate him even atop waugh coz of his sheer batting dominanace n i remember those huge sixes.........a real asset wasted.

cricket_zenith
April 4, 2006, 07:42 AM
wot say guyz?

James90
April 5, 2006, 06:19 PM
Nothing against Tugga but Mark Taylor was twice the captain Steve Waugh ever was. The guy was a tactical genius and had the ability to group a team together and make things work. Simply the fact that someone with as great a brain as Steve Waugh was denied captaincy for so long is a credit to Mark Taylor. Even when Waugh was hitting hundreds every second game and Taylor couldn't make double figures they stuck with Taylor because he was that good a captain.

battye
April 6, 2006, 05:49 AM
Steve Waugh hands down.

Jack47
April 6, 2006, 02:23 PM
Steve Waugh is the best captain I've watched

sar2005
April 8, 2006, 10:03 AM
You give me 10 world class star and I will become the best ever captain. You know what I mean ;)

Locutus
April 8, 2006, 12:22 PM
Hansie Cronje

mildwind
April 15, 2006, 10:37 AM
David Lloyd
Steven Waugh
Imran Khan
Hensie Cronje
Wasim Akram
Stephen Fleming

Miraz
April 15, 2006, 12:36 PM
Mods, ekta poll chilo, seta kothai gelo? New look V bulletin ki previous poll support korchena??

stevothedevo68
April 22, 2006, 09:20 AM
Hansie Cronje

Yes he was the best money could buy.

My vote for current skippers - Ponting (for his on field performance - an inspiration to the rest of the team)

fai_hasan
April 23, 2006, 07:40 AM
I like S. Flemming and R. Ponting.

However, my all time favourite two captains are, Mohammad Azharuddin and Washin Akram.

DJ Sahastra
April 23, 2006, 12:13 PM
Watch out for Dravid, Guys.

He has made mistakes - but he is shrewd, bold, thinks out of the box, is learning fast and definitely leads by an example.

The way he suffocated the English team by opting for powerplay at around 30th over mark was brilliant! And so is his startegy to go in with five genuine bolwers that has been paying dividends. His "no safety first" approach has succeeded more than it has failed.

I had keep him in my watchlist for next few months.

adel
April 23, 2006, 08:17 PM
Seriously guys.....Where is the pride....I knwo that the best captain in the world is HABIBUL BASHAR!!!...He played a vital role in Bangladesh winning their first Tets match but also wins against two of the best teams in the world, Australia and India.....Cholo Bangladesh:flag:

Baundule
April 28, 2006, 10:26 AM
Looking from the bottom, my champion is Chanderpaul ;). HB is the runners up after a huge contest. But I am sympathetic to him cos 90% of the decisions are taken by DW and the team management. He can't even set the batting order at his own will (read his comments after 2nd ODI vs. AUS).

mhferdaus
April 29, 2006, 12:44 AM
IMO Clive Lloyd is the all time best, and though many came close but still to close enough to Mr. Lloyd.

Ah ... the once invincible Windies teams.