PDA

View Full Version : Whom do you think as the best bowler of modern day cricket?

Miraz
April 3, 2006, 09:01 AM
At first I want to clarify my post regarding modern day cricket. I meant bowlers playing now or have been retired from international cricket between (2000- till date)

Well, you may ask for the reason for posting such a thread. I am really interested to share thoughts with the felow friends about some great bowlers and may have some interesting debates ;)

In recent years bowlers job is getting increasingly difficult and cricket is going to be more like a 'batsman's game. Having said that modern day cricket has seen some outstanding bowlers who in their day can crush any opposition, no matter how good their batting strength is.

Lets share our thoughts-

Edited on, April 3, 2006, 2:04 PM GMT, by Miraz.

Sovik
April 3, 2006, 09:15 AM
Muttiah Muralitharan

sar2005
April 3, 2006, 09:49 AM
Murali. He is the greatest of all.
I thought you could make this poll only for Murali and Warne. Definitely they are the top and will have a fifty fifty chance to win this poll.

Tigers_eye
April 3, 2006, 10:21 AM
Hard to decide.

Murali one of a kind.
So is McGrath and Walsh. May be seperate polls for spinners and fast would help me out. :)

Looking at history there were other greats in the fast. But noone as good as Murali. So I'll go for Murali.

Warne, the less I talk about him the better it is.

Hatebreed
April 3, 2006, 10:26 AM
Muttiahdilam Murali... I wish he'd retire :(

nayef
April 3, 2006, 10:29 AM
I would think of Chaminda Vaas to be up there with the lot.
Wasim revolutionized left arm fast bowling with swinging deliveries and toe-crushers, but Vaas showed the world that u dont need flair to succeed and the top level, but use brains to make the most out of fast bowlers graveyards (Asian pitches).

Miraz bhai, I need some more clarification about modern day cricket. ODIs have influenced how modern day cricket is played, but tests are still a different ball game. In that list, I'd prolly choose two different bowlers for tests and ODIs. So, should we pick two?

Miraz
April 3, 2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by nayef

Miraz bhai, I need some more clarification about modern day cricket. ODIs have influenced how modern day cricket is played, but tests are still a different ball game. In that list, I'd prolly choose two different bowlers for tests and ODIs. So, should we pick two?

Dear nayef, I simply mean cricket of recent times- both ODI and tests. You can find the bowlers I named, are outstanding in both tests and ODI. ODI is influencing tests as well. You can find in recent times 4 - 4.5 per over is very common in tests which was rare even 20 years back. Players are more aggressive in stroke making and some players are playing ODI and tests in the same fashion like Gilly, Ponting, Gibbs and you can name many others.

yap Test is a different ball game, I agree but you can still chose bowlers who are great in both the arena.

Locutus
April 3, 2006, 05:56 PM
Curtly Ambrose.
The most deadliest fast bowler of all time. I don't know how many people lost their teeth because of his bouncer.

Bat-PadTogether
April 3, 2006, 06:08 PM
Wasim Akram!
Murali is a Javlen Thrower!:down:

Sovik
April 3, 2006, 06:33 PM
Ambrose should have been included in this poll

nayef
April 4, 2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Bat&PadTogether
Wasim Akram!
Murali is a Javlen Thrower!:down:

:head:
come on dude... he's proved it ample times for us to accept his legality..

Thnx Miraz bhai for the clarification... I'd go with Murali simply coz he's peerless in both forms. Wasim Akram would come a close second.

Reasons:
Murali - Most economical bowler in ODI history, phenomenal strike rate in both forms and 51 5-fors in tests, blah blah

Tigers_eye
April 4, 2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Locutus
Curtly Ambrose.
The most deadliest fast bowler of all time. I don't know how many people lost their teeth because of his bouncer.
The names Garner, Marshall, Roberts, Croft, Holding means nothing to you?

sadi
April 4, 2006, 09:51 AM
Wasim....... I've never seen bowlers like Garner, Croft or Holding bowl but to me Wasim was a real fast bowler.... so many variations.... just unbelievable... one of a kind

Miraz
April 4, 2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
Originally posted by Locutus
Curtly Ambrose.
The names Garner, Marshall, Roberts, Croft, Holding means nothing to you?

Cats_Eye,
all the names you mentioned are real great bowlers but in this thread I tried to limit bowlers pf modern time who retired from international cricket after 200 or still playing. All the great names u mentioned have retired before 2000.

Tigers_eye
April 4, 2006, 10:38 AM
Sorry Miraz,
This is your thread. I was replying to the comment "Most deadliest fast bowler of All time." For obvious reasons I don't think Ambrose is the most deadliest. As per knocking of teeth, the names mentioned, each of them has more claims in that category than Ambrose.

Miraz
April 4, 2006, 12:48 PM
Its really interesting to see in the poll Warne got only 7.14% of the total vote (umm.... he is the leading wicket taker and equally devastating).

I think it is more reflecting his unpopularity among BC fans rather than cricketing judgement ;)

jayed
April 4, 2006, 12:48 PM
i'd say, warner. no dount 4 the spinna, murali is 4 the infamous guy.

but 4 pace, mmmm.
wasim- yep.

nayef
April 4, 2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Miraz
Its really interesting to see in the poll Warne got only 7.14% of the total vote (umm.... he is the leading wicket taker and equally devastating).

I think it is more reflecting his unpopularity among BC fans rather than cricketing judgement ;)

yea .. nobody seems to like him around here..

i think he revolutionized spin bowling as a whole with his antics (ahem!).. i used to bowl legspin copying his action at one point .... but the sheer strength of Murali and his success against odds will keep him a tinge above Warne. {just my $0.02}

Edited on, April 4, 2006, 7:22 PM GMT, by nayef.

ammark
April 4, 2006, 06:09 PM
Not a WORD on Saqlain????!!!! :duh: The guy was an equal genius finger spinner without any of the natural arm defects of Murali. I voted for Walsh by the way. 6 wkts for 1 run... give me one bowler who can beat that statistic? :P And mind you he was still going strong as the workhorse (with Ambrose) till retirement.

Edited on, April 4, 2006, 11:11 PM GMT, by ammark.

Baundule
April 6, 2006, 02:49 AM
I opted for Wasim. He had too many variations!
I feel Pollock should be in the list as well.

Tigers_eye
April 6, 2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by ammark
I voted for Walsh by the way. 6 wkts for 1 run... give me one bowler who can beat that statistic?
I thought it was Ambrose who got 7 wkts for 1 run. ending with 7/25. :duh:

I agree walsh is a class above Amborse though.

battye
April 6, 2006, 10:13 AM
Shane Warne.. although Pollock is right up there too!

ammark
April 6, 2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
Originally posted by ammark
I voted for Walsh by the way. 6 wkts for 1 run... give me one bowler who can beat that statistic?
I thought it was Ambrose who got 7 wkts for 1 run. ending with 7/25. :duh:

maybe in that test match in Aus.

I refer to Walsh against SL in an ODI. That was his best bowling match figures for a long time. However I must make a correction. It was 5 wkts for 1 run according to Cricinfo player stats (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/53216.html)