PDA

View Full Version : All time best pace attack

Tigers_eye
April 4, 2006, 02:49 PM
Some of you may not know about the great WI fast bowlers. Following is a treat for those who want to know.

Malcolm Marshall:
Marshall had all the toys and he knew how and when to play with them. His strike rate of 46.22 was phenomenal, his average of 20.95 equally so. He may well have been the finest fast bowler of them all.
He reserved his best figures for England. In 1984, he broke his left thumb while fielding early in the match, but first of all batted one-handed, hitting a boundary and allowing Larry Gomes to complete a century, and then, with his left hand encased in plaster, he shrugged off the pain to take 7 for 53. Four years later, on an Old Trafford wicket prepared specifically for spinners, he adjusted his sights, pitched the ball up, and swung and cut it to such devastating effect that he took 7 for 22. Let that be a lesson, he seemed to be saying, and indeed it was.
on the 1980 tour he secured a Test place and at Manchester was instrumental in causing a collapse of seven wickets for 24. It began to be noted that, although not physically imposing - he was 5ft 11in - he had a natural balance and athleticism. Furthermore, he applied himself to his craft. In 1982, he was devastating, taking 134 wickets for Hampshire - a figure no one else touched in county cricket in the last 32 years of the century - and building a reputation as the bowler best avoided by anyone with a sense of self-preservation.
Joel Garner:
Batsmen would say that the overriding feeling when first confronted by the Big Bird was that he would trample on them such was the foreshortening effect of his 6ft 8 inches. Delivered from the clouds it seemed, and at a lively pace that when the mood took could be cranked up to the brisk side of rapid, the ball would rear alarmingly from barely short of a length. Allied to that was the most devastating toe crunching yorker the game had seen since that of Charlie Griffith. Of the top wicket-takers, few have a lower average than his parsimonious 20.98. In one-day cricket, particularly in the overs at the end of an innings, when the unhittable yorker speared in relentlessly, he was priceless. At Lord's in 1979 he simply blew England's slim hopes away with 5 for 38, the best figures ever in a World Cup final.
Michael Holding:
It began intimidatingly far away. He turned, and began the most elegant long-striding run of them all, feet kissing the turf silently, his head turning gently and ever so slightly from side to side, rhythmically, like that of a cobra hypnotizing its prey. Good batsmen tended not to watch him all the way lest they became mesmerized. To the umpires he was malevolent stealth personified so they christened him Whispering Death. No-one in the game has bowled faster. His over to Geoff Boycott in the cauldron of Kensington Oval early in 1981 has gone down in history as the finest, fastest, most ferocious gambit of all time. Five years earlier, towards the end of the drought-ridden summer of 1976, The Oval had become a wasteland, parched beyond recognition, with slow flat heart-breaking pitches, and it was on this, in the final Test of the season, through the simple device of bowling ramrod-straight at high pace and to a full length, that he conjured 14 wickets for 149, the finest match figures ever by a West Indian.
Colin Croft:
"Crofty," a West Indian team-mate once said, "would bounce his grandmother if he thought there was a wicket in it." In a relatively brief career lasting just five years, he established a reputation as one of the most chilling of fast men, with no compunction whatsoever about inflicting pain. He was a fine bowler though and in 27 matches he managed 125 wickets - a remarkable haul in a side laden with high-class pace where the spoils tended to be spread. Best of all came in his second match where at Port-of-Spain he laid waste the Pakistan batting with 8 for 29, still the best figures by a West Indian fast bowler.
Andy Roberts:
Deadpan and deadly. Wicket or boundary, not a flicker of emotion would be evident save a gunslinger's narrowing of the eyes. Andy Roberts kept his emotions in check. But under the veneer was an intelligent cricketer with a fertile brain, plotting and planning the downfall of batsmen as if it were a military campaign. The modern West Indian game based on the heavy artillery of fast bowlers, that served so well for a quarter of a century, began with him. Here was a bowler whose pace came from timing, with power from a huge pair of shoulders. His bouncer was regarded as one of the most dangerous. He varied its pace, often setting batsmen up with a slower one and then poleaxing them when they were late on the quickie.
It took Roberts less than two and a half years to reach 100 Test wickets, the quickest at that point, and his best years were unquestionably in the middle 1970s.

Source Cricinfo.

Edited on, April 4, 2006, 7:53 PM GMT, by Cats_eye.

Nasif
April 4, 2006, 02:53 PM
chacha and shanto :exclamation:

nayef
April 4, 2006, 03:03 PM
the first one... no questions asked..
when there is Tornado Roberts, Whispering Death and the Big Bird breathing down the batsmen's throat... nth can be more intimidating! And along with Marshall and Croft ... simply peerless.

Tigers_eye
April 4, 2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Nasif

বুঝাই যাচ্ছে এগারো ক্লাসে আপনে অনেক দুষ্টামি করতেন।

ammark
April 4, 2006, 05:32 PM
No doubt it was the WI team of those years! Man those days they had the deadliest individual players including Clive Lloyd, Gordon Greenidge, Desmond Haynes and Viv Richards too!! AMAZING!

I kinda feel sorry for all the other ones listed there, coz they get overshadowed by the Windies of the 70s decade. Allan Donald-Pollock-Kallis was great too after Imran-Wasim-Waqar-Aaqib and Walsh-Ambrose-Bishop.

Somehow although McGrath is deadly alone and has some backup from Brett Lee now, I never thought Damien Flemyng/Jason Gillespie/Kasprowicz gave him as solid backup. Same with Srinath: Prasad was good backup for a time, but there never was enough bite in them.

Nasif
April 4, 2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Cats_eye
Originally posted by Nasif

বুঝাই যাচ্ছে এগারো ক্লাসে আপনে অনেক দুষ্টামি করতেন।

কি যে বলেন ক্যাট ভাই। আমি খুব ভাল ছিলাম। :lol:

Edited on, April 4, 2006, 11:38 PM GMT, by Nasif.

Sovik
April 4, 2006, 07:32 PM
Never seen them playing but i know they were the king once

WI - Roberts, Garner, Holding, Croft, Marshall

shaoun
April 4, 2006, 11:46 PM
i never seen holding,garner,roberts play but i did see marshall,ambros,walsh and bishop play. they were some dangerous bowler. i seen walsh and marshal break stamps few times. i remember chaton sharma of india, he never wore halmet against anyone. (even when he played against akram,waquar,akib javed) but he wore halmet against the westindies pace attak of marshall,walsh, ambros and bishop. even good batsman used to fear them. their bouncers were deadly. i think it was in 1987 when india tour west indies. in that series srikanth broke his finger, arun lal had to be sent to the hospital becasue one of the bowler (forgot who) broke his helmet with a fast bowl. that west indies team was unbeatable. richards, richie richardson, hanges, and most fearful fast bowlers. its sad to see what west indies cricket has become.

Baundule
April 6, 2006, 02:46 AM
How about Nazmul, Chacha, Shanto and Taposh?

Miraz
April 6, 2006, 05:12 AM
have voted for Wasim, Waqar, Imran and Aqib.

They had all the variations as well as the bites to demolish any opposition in their day.

McGrath, Lee, Gilly are not that far in their day.

In fact the poll should be won by the WI - Roberts, Garner, Holding, Croft, Marshall, history is beside them.

But I have never seen them bowling together. In my early days of watching cricket I have seen Marshall bowling and watched some video of Croft.

Edited on, April 6, 2006, 10:12 AM GMT, by Miraz.

roaring tigerz
April 6, 2006, 08:36 PM
have never seen the the fearsome windies attack of the 80s live in action. the most dominating attack i have seen are late 90s aussie juggernaut of mcgath and co.

mcgrath the 'metronome' needs no further introduction. arguably one of the top 5 pacemen of all time. His partner in crime gillespie was just as accurate and sometimes even deadlier than mcgrath. the two complemented each other perfectly, won multitudes of tests for australia and in the process established their team as the most dominating side of our generation.
add to the list brett lee, who is now the bowling spearhead and in my opinion the best bowler in the world. with support acts like kasprowitz , fleming, reifell and others the aussie attack is for sure the most complete pace attack i have seen.