PDA

View Full Version : Selectors sending warning messages to the wrong player?

Ahmed_B
April 9, 2006, 08:31 AM
While watching Aftab bat today, he seemed to be a little bit out of touch. His batting not look very fluent and appeared to be double-minded whether to play his natural game or reserve himself in a shell as the selectors wanted him to do.

The selectors, on the other hand, have come up with the explanation of dropping him from the SL test series. They claimed they did it to warn him against playing too many shots. This could actually be a little too harsh on a natural stokeplayer like After, who plays his strokes far more solidly than the likes of Ash. Aftab got out double-minded... and throughout his inning he looked bit confused about his game approach.

The question is... if Aftab deserves being dropped for playing his natural game... what does Ashraful deserve then? He might have scored some fast runs at a strike-rate more than 100%, but he could have been out for 5 times during that short inning of his. As if he was in complete hurry to prove he is the best in the side, no matter how much others score. Some might argue that his LBW was doubtfull, but I saw the replays several times and there did not seem to be any inside edge neither the ball was missing leg stump. He was a genuine plumb-LBW. Even his body language during the appeal looked guilty-he knew he was out. Furthermore, the way he was batting, he would have been out anyway within the next few balls if he was not out on that occasions.

While the selectors went too hard on Aftab for rather weak reasons, they should really come up with some ideas to TEACH ASH A LESSON and put it in his head that it doesn’t matter how cheeky he can be, it’s his performance that the team will need if he wants to stay in the team.

His way of batting was rather odd compared to the whole day of fantastic BD batting!

Edited on, April 9, 2006, 1:50 PM GMT, by Ahmed_B.

thasan
April 9, 2006, 09:18 AM
agreed!!
aftab tried to change his style which is not good for him...
maybe dav will notice it and will ask him to play his natural game...:)

Ejaj
April 9, 2006, 09:19 AM
Ahmed_B vai............. fully agreed wth you. i also felt this when aftab was batting. He was in between two sides. and he was actually pushing down his natural cricket over an artificial defensive cricket. IAfter his test innigs in England.. i could never understand why he is being branded as only ODI player. His technique is one of the best in BD. It doesnt make sense to use two standards in the same team for final 11 selection when the quesiton lies in being a strokeplayer. I alawys hated this idea of stopping someone pllaying his natural game. He is such a gem in our country and its sad to see him play in such a double minded state.

Omio
April 9, 2006, 09:28 AM
Agree..

Specially aftab look too nervous, bcos our bliddy selector told he is not good for test. May b that reason he look like that.
If he play natural game I m sure he can play a good innings.

Mr-Cricket
April 9, 2006, 09:46 AM
I think it has less to do with 'warning messages from selectors' and more to do with the current batting order itself. I'm not sure who mentioned this, but it in the Match Thread someone suggested that Saleh should be batting in between Ashraful and Aftab - to stabilise the innings. I think it makes sense in that we can have blokes like Omar, Saleh and Mashud batting around our attacking players in Ashraful, Aftab, Bashar and, now, Nafees. That way guys like Aftab may not need to change the way they play.

Having said that, good players have the ability to adjust to the conditions, and we need to develop more versatile players, as opposed to one dimensional players in Ashraful and, to a lesser extent, Aftab (They're clearly talented, they have proven that they have the ability to knuckle down when needed, but they have not shown this consistently enough to be excused).

The way Ashraful was batting, to reach 26* off 16 balls was nothing short of ridiculous! He was batting like a millionare! Nevertheless, it's hard to complain sometimes, watching Ashraful in full flight is a rare sight! (Thinking back to Natwest Series last year). And personally, I think this is the best batting line-up we have put together in a while. Food for thought!

Go Bangladesh!:P

Edited on, April 9, 2006, 2:58 PM GMT, by Mr-Cricket.

mildwind
April 9, 2006, 09:47 AM
Feeling pity for Aftab. He is a plain talent as everybody sees it in Ashraful. If making 50 runs means scoring less than a ball for him- so be it. Only matters how much he has got at the end of the day. Not how many balls he has faced. I hope selectors will help him to get off the unnecessary pressure and let him play natural cricket. Besides he is a rare athletic for BD. Also can bowl on occassions. Selectors should help themselves by helping him.

fwullah
April 9, 2006, 10:03 AM
I agree.

Acting like a 'big brother never helps. It did not help a certain player like Rokon. It will also not help Ashraful. One day, he will realize that there are far better players in the team who are performing better and he will be dropped forever - like Hannan Sarkar.

Miraz
April 9, 2006, 10:11 AM
Absolutely agree with you. Selectors played with the mind of Aftab and Aftab was very shaky in playing shots today. He was always in double ind and he wanted to ensure that he is not getting out playing shot.

This is a bad ploy against one of the ost prolific batsman. Aftab should be allowed to play his natural gae and it really doesn't matter even he gets out playing his natural game.

Bashar also always plays his natural game and sometimes got out playing stupid shots but he is the best performer in the test side.

mildwind
April 9, 2006, 10:15 AM
Commentators were also talking about Hannan Sarkar yesterday. They were also wondering why he is not in the team for so long. Answer they got was out of form.

It is such a negative approach by selectors. They could have said we have too many good players to replace anyone. But if he proves himself can come back any time. Would not that help hannan morally rather than saying he is out of form? I hope slelectors did not mean hannan will be playing bad for the rest of his life.

Haradhon
April 9, 2006, 10:20 AM
I agree, but Ash is still a psychological factor for our opponents. It is like putting two defenders against the lead offense. That allows others to flourish.
I did not expect Nafees to score a century; I thought it would Aftab or Ash.
To me, the goal should be to make sure that our top order clicks

Haradhon
April 9, 2006, 10:22 AM
Also, it is not a good idea to drop more than 1/2 regulars. It gives a wrong message for team cohesion.
One of the Nafees- Bashar- Ash-Javed-Aftab, does an exceptional job, we are happy.
Nafees did it, now it is others' turn

capslock
April 9, 2006, 10:52 AM
As soon as Nafees got his century, I had a feeling that Ash would come out and start bashing to go one up. So sad to see that I was true.

real123
April 9, 2006, 10:56 AM
Excellent topic.

I totally agree. Aftab is one of the most talented player in our team. From the very begining I beleived he would serve BD cricket for a long long time. It was quite evident that he was playing a dual role yesterday - in some way, quite pathetic to see him going into a defensive shell.
He should be allowed to play his natural game like Bashar plays. At the same time we should have some defensive players to keep the balance.

mildwind
April 9, 2006, 10:59 AM
We don't need all our players to score tons in every match. Instead we need 1 or 2 player to come out and make big score. The rest can support them - may be with 20 - 30 runs from each. This is specially necessary for second innigs.

Hope Aftab and ashraful both will stand together and will put a show.

joybangladesh
April 9, 2006, 11:33 AM
I think Ashraful should be dropped for the second test and the ODI series against the Australians just to make him realize that he is not superior than the others. Infact they should drop him till the champions trophy to make him realize all that talk of talent is no use unless you produce runs.

In any other team they would have dropped him a long time ago with this kind of inconsistency.

cricket_pagla
April 9, 2006, 11:48 AM
xcellent point.. i think BD think-tank N selector shud visit dis forum... n learn som gud thin.. lyk wat 2 do or not 2 do..

i kno.. dis iznt blong 2 dis thread.. but.. why BASHER out on dat way??..lyk a tail ender or skul boi?.. n Aftab mayb tryin'.. again he out very badly.. n abt Ashra-foool.... no comments.. hes really bad 2 day..

tho i lyk Aftab, Basher, Asrafool.. but dey hav 2 play more matured shot!... learn frm S. Nafees :tiger:

mildwind
April 9, 2006, 12:10 PM
Spot on. Bashar can be excused. But Aftab and ashraful have to appreciate their positions in BD team

Though I dont fully in consistent with the idea of sending warning to players. Very bad and fatal practise for future.

Edited on, April 9, 2006, 9:15 PM GMT, by mildwind.

Edited on, April 9, 2006, 9:16 PM GMT, by mildwind.

Spitfire_x86
April 9, 2006, 12:26 PM
I hope Aftab follows the footsteps of Bashar and Ashraful after he cements his place in the test team.

Like Bashar and Ashraful, he's a player who depends a lot on confidence and the selectors tried their best to damage it.

And please stop criticizing Ashraful. That guy has performed many times when others' couldn't. He didn't get himself out by playing a stupid hoick today.

rafiq
April 9, 2006, 01:41 PM
I do agree that players have to play their natural game. But Aftab went in and built an importnat 56 run partnership that could have been the launching pad for another 200 runs. It was really important not to lose a third wicket in the post tea session. He had to check his natural game a bit given the game situation. With more maturity he will learn how to execute that better than he did yesterday, getting out at stumps to another "natural" shot.

tanvir_nus
April 9, 2006, 02:31 PM
Wow, everyone is full of senses. I really hope Ashraful is dropped. Atleast we will truly value his place in the team then. It is then everyone will realise how badly Bangladesh needs a batsman who goes out there not for his own stats, but to make a statement about domination and that batting is all about it. Batsmen like rajin are born every yera, batsman like aftab are born every 10 years, but batsman like Ashraful are born 100 years. Drop him when he is clearly showing that he is full of confidence and willing to take on the bowlers. That too JUST FOR A MESSAGE? You must be kidding me.

He is the first superstar of bangladeshi cricket. Accept it guys and move on. Dropping him in any game will surely make me and alot others BC agitated. We forget his contribution as always. I guess Bangladeshi fans have the worst memory out there. I am just waiting for an innings. It is surely coming and be sure when it comes, Bangladesh will win for sure.

RazabQ
April 9, 2006, 02:42 PM
What is wrong with you guys. Ash was out to a ball that stayed low. Surely by now ppl should recognize that Ashraful is the type of batsmen who needs to play a few shots to settle himself down. All his best innings have involved a few rash/cheeky shots being pulled off. Once he gets to the 20s he settles down. He was just in the process of doing that when he got a good lenght ball from Dizzy that stayed low and nipped in. Why are we so hard on the guy?

As for Aftab, he was alright. He needs to learn how to control an innings as well as attack.

israr
April 9, 2006, 03:03 PM
Please guys, don't be that harsh on Ash, he didn't to anything stupid today and we're still being so tough on this guy. Ash is our future and he will be Insha'Allah an upcoming legend. Have you ever noticed why Ash gets more praises and accolades than other emerging young batsmen like Salman Butt, Dwayne Bravo, Justin Kemp eventhough he's got a lower average; its because of his ability to change the game single-handedly for a struggling team, it's because of his unbelievable shots and the way he paces his innings, not because of how much he scores at the end, its because of the pride he has brought to our country, and ofcourse a lot much more can be expected from a batsman who holds the world record for the youngest test centurion. Before giving any comment, contemplate upon his contributions. His average is not a matter to be scared of and it will improve as he matures when he'll become more consistent. Please then, lets be patient on Ash and 3 more innings are still left, and anything extra ordinary can happen in one of those.

:duck:

sar2005
April 9, 2006, 03:24 PM
Asolutely agree. We must allow Aftab to play his natural game. And we all are aware how fascinating to watch him playing his natural game.

Hope he will return in second innings with a real big one.

Bancan
April 9, 2006, 04:00 PM
i agree man. he should play his natural game

Miraz
April 9, 2006, 04:08 PM
Ashraful was unlucky this time but definitely his short cameo of 29 helped Bangladesh regaining the dominance after two quick wickets.

Its fine Ashraful has not done that well in the first innings we can hope he will repay in the second innings ;)

mildwind
April 9, 2006, 04:32 PM
Just wondering what can be done if Ash and Aftab are on song...

Bat-PadTogether
April 9, 2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Ahmed_B
While watching Aftab bat today, he seemed to be a little bit out of touch. His batting not look very fluent and appeared to be double-minded whether to play his natural game or reserve himself in a shell as the selectors wanted him to do.

The selectors, on the other hand, have come up with the explanation of dropping him from the SL test series. They claimed they did it to warn him against playing too many shots. This could actually be a little too harsh on a natural stokeplayer like After, who plays his strokes far more solidly than the likes of Ash. Aftab got out double-minded... and throughout his inning he looked bit confused about his game approach.

The question is... if Aftab deserves being dropped for playing his natural game... what does Ashraful deserve then? He might have scored some fast runs at a strike-rate more than 100%, but he could have been out for 5 times during that short inning of his. As if he was in complete hurry to prove he is the best in the side, no matter how much others score. Some might argue that his LBW was doubtfull, but I saw the replays several times and there did not seem to be any inside edge neither the ball was missing leg stump. He was a genuine plumb-LBW. Even his body language during the appeal looked guilty-he knew he was out. Furthermore, the way he was batting, he would have been out anyway within the next few balls if he was not out on that occasions.

While the selectors went too hard on Aftab for rather weak reasons, they should really come up with some ideas to TEACH ASH A LESSON and put it in his head that it doesn’t matter how cheeky he can be, it’s his performance that the team will need if he wants to stay in the team.

His way of batting was rather odd compared to the whole day of fantastic BD batting!

Edited on, April 9, 2006, 1:50 PM GMT, by Ahmed_B.
Iam totally agree with you.What the hell Ash thinks he will score the fastest 100 against Aussies?Really it was painful to see him batting today,and what Bashar did just before tea is terrible!If you make same mistake again and again u will never learn from ur mistake!!!!!!!!!!!1

Imtiazk
April 9, 2006, 04:57 PM
Despite Ashraful's undoubted talents, as many posts have correctly noted , he carries with him an arrogance which is self-destructive.

Some people mistake this arrogance with confidence. It is not. In fact, it is indicative of lack of self esteem.

He suffers from a personality disorder - always needing to be praised as the best.

Part of the problem has sadly come from "supporters" - who themselves are not always knowledgeable about the game.

I remember his two sixes off Brett Lee at Old Trafford as they both landed within 20m of where I was sitting. They were both top edges ! Only Lee's pace took the ball over the boundary; otherwise McGrath at fine leg would have gobbled them up.

The reason he [ and Aftab, too ] needs to be compulsive a "six-hitter" is because his street credibility is enhanced by the Six table - not whether they actually helped the side win or even draw. Personally, give me JO or KM any day in such situations.

No one ever blames them for losing a game, because we "always" lose. Whereas, hitting Lee et al for six becomes part of folklore !

I felt Aftab was changing until the bizarre announcement by the selectors prior to the SL tests.

Ashraful is Bangladesh's best batsman talentwise. But Bashar remains the most accomplished as many other attributes make a batsman - not just talent. Just look at the averages. After a few matches they do not lie. Gavaskar and Boycott were far less talented than many of their contempories. But who would you bet your mortgage on ?

However, I should not be so introspective on this - Bangladesh's best day in Test cricket. My only regret so far is the omission of Rasel ! It might prove costly.

cricket_pagol
April 9, 2006, 04:57 PM
Ashraful did not play sensibly in the beginning of his innings... he started to get better as the game went on but his approach to batting seemed very carefree and he was taking too much unnecessary risk.

cricman
April 9, 2006, 05:06 PM
Whoa hold on here. I didn't see Ash's Cameo but your criticizing him because his SR > 100?

SN and Bashar for the most part had there SR >90 Bashar at one point was at 48(45) before lunch. Ashraful, Bashar, and even Tushar Imran score runs a a brisk pace whats wrong with that?

Australia should be lucky that he got an LBW because from my point of view, Ashraful was trying to for Bangladesh to score 400 by Stumps which was a very real possibility.

thebest
April 9, 2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by cricman
Whoa hold on here. I didn't see Ash's Cameo but your criticizing him because his SR > 100?

SN and Bashar for the most part had there SR >90 Bashar at one point was at 48(45) before lunch. Ashraful, Bashar, and even Tushar Imran score runs a a brisk pace whats wrong with that?

Australia should be lucky that he got an LBW because from my point of view, Ashraful was trying to for Bangladesh to score 400 by Stumps which was a very real possibility.

I do not know anybody criticizing Ash because his strike rate >100. But because the reckless shots he had played. He could have out 3-5 times before he was out. In SN and HB that was not the case. There was no chiky shot. Every shots they played were from the books. They were punishing bad delivery not evry delivery. Evn the ball Basher got out was there to be hit. Unfortunately he could not connect it properly.

Edited on, April 9, 2006, 10:39 PM GMT, by thebest.

ammark
April 9, 2006, 06:03 PM
Its become almost routine to me to not hope for anything out of Ashraful. If its his day, so be it, if not then I wont feel sorry for myself either. He no doubt has talent, but he is downright reckless. He does not have an orthodox style for much of what he does, and this lack thereof keps signifying that he is absolutely incapable of guaranteeing that he'll stick to his crease.

He seems so two-faced to me, when you look at his 100s against Aus and SL, and then see his other innings'. For all the disappointing innings' he's played, he certainly does not exude confidence off in those with his attitude at the crease. There is a certain pakistani player (no names mentioned) that he always reminds me of, just that Ash's strokeplay is a bit better looking than the said pakistani batsman's. however, I agree to the flipside here that his aggression here is good for giving the bowlers a second thought.

But regarding Aftab: I will admit that I am enamoured by his batting. What Ashraful lacks in class and orthodoxy, Aftab does better. There is solidity in his innings, and I dont buy the BS that he's just a strokeplayer with no sense of responsibility. Aftab demonstrated more than once, his versatility: his natural game isnt just scoring shots but also playing to the circumstances when needed! Remember his partnership with Alok and Pilot vs SL?

I thought he did VERY well in his inning yesterday seeing to it that the balls were blocked and checked, and singles were taken when possible, and even that the overpitched Brett Lee delivery outside off-stump was dispatched effortlessly through Cover point! I am proud of what he did, and the ability to stick to the crease, which he demonstrated well enough for 50 odd balls. He looked pensive only after Lee threw in that bouncer at his chest, and yes, did disappoint everyone with his dismissal in the 2nd last over of the day.

Nevertheless I think, unlike Ash, there were enough signs to see that he is maturing and is on the road to become a responsible player. His natural game does *not* limit itself to cheeky and lucky shots, he blocked his way well and played well given the pressures the batting side were facing.