PDA

View Full Version : Should we enforce Follow On?

Rubu
April 10, 2006, 10:34 AM
Say, we bundle them out before they can get those runs to avoid follow on. Should we enforce it or not?

My idea is NO. For two reasons, both from a defensive point of view.

1. We do not wanna bat on that pitch on fourth innings. Instead, let Enam and Rafique have some fun there.

2. We do not wanna hurt the ego of aussies, as that might trigger a bounce back.

Here is my plan, get the wickets as quickly as possible, best below 200. For this Bashar need to set up a realy attacking fielding. if they scores a few fours, let them have it. But get them out below 200.

Then, we need to bat for at least 'til lunch of 4th day. I'm guessing that would be batting 3 sessions. Should not be too hard. Just no rush shots, and taking time. If we do not loose wicket, we can make it like a one day slog over at the end to get some extra runs. 200+ would be ideal. Then (please God let it be like this) we will have 5 sessions to get the other 10 wickets. should be doable on a broken pitch and Rafique-Enam form.

Let it Be. Let it Be.

GuruTM
April 10, 2006, 10:37 AM
Should we enforce Follow On?

A big no. I would prefer Australia 228 all out.

sadi
wow... looks a lot different now... I kinda liked the old one though...

Anyways, I would enforce the followon... there is no point being defensice... we came this far being aggresive and we should remain to be so... its gonna be such a shame for aussies if they have to follow on... and I can't wait to see that happening... even if they score 350-400 in the second innings which is not gonna be easy, we will have a good chance of winning this game... go Bangladesh... I am so proud of them...

Nasif
No we shouldn't. Tire the Aussie out and take time score moderately (rr around 3) and get around 300+ in 3-4 sessions.

Then declare or get allout. Try for aussie kill in around 5 sessions

nayef
April 10, 2006, 10:43 AM
My answer is a no, but not because it will hurt the Aus ego. It would be great to hurt them and see how they react. They haven't been in such a situation for ages.

Anyway, the simple reason is that being on the field for two consecutive innings may be detrimental when we bat. Also take into account the turn that enamul got today. I'm sure enamul is drooling at the prospect of bowling on the last day pitch.

layperson
April 10, 2006, 10:51 AM
well the answer is no ... as i said in sm other post of mine .... we dont want to bat last on this pitch ... nd we wud be better served if we can perform in the second innings and set the aussies a total beyond 300 minimum.....then our spinners can make a match of it ... if we get a lead of over 400 nd the aussies hv a day nd half to bat max then we cannot lose this match ....

TheWatcher
April 10, 2006, 10:51 AM
I don't think we should put too much importance to ego thing. Key factors here, as mentioned above, are to keep the bowlers fresh and avoid batting on the fourth innings. By enforcing follow on, we will give advantages away to Australia.

Spitfire_x86
April 10, 2006, 10:53 AM
No. We should give our bowlers rest and it's not a good idea to face McGill and Warne in the 4th innings.

Mahmood
April 10, 2006, 10:57 AM
Definitly not, if we have 200+ lead and score 225-250 in the second innings, we are set, only 2-3 times in history, a team chased 400+ to win...

Baundule
April 10, 2006, 11:02 AM
If there is a chance, I would go for enforcing the follow-on. The reasons behind this are:

1. Follow-on means taking the remaining 4 wickets quickly. I assume that because Gilchrist will not slow down his pace of scoring. In that case, our bowlers will not be that tired.

2. Following on means a lot of mental pressure. Aussies are the boss of it; but in recent years, they did not have much experience of following on. And of course, they crumble under immense pressure as we have seen in the Ashes.

3. It is more important because it will give more confidence to our side.

4. And may be, we are going to win the test by an innings :)

5. To be more realistic, I still think that the chance of AUssies winning this match is 60-40. So, I would like to go for a longer time and following on will make the match longer. If it gets short after their following on, that most likely means the failure of the Aussies and we are going to win.

Hatebreed
April 10, 2006, 11:03 AM
No for same the reasons Rubu mentioned.

Tommorrow I'd like to see BD take a 200 runs lead andadd another 200-250.. considering it's only been 2 days in the match it'd be wise if we can play out whole day.. We'll probably see a collapse in our batting (as usual), so it's very important that our batsmen take it easy, not play unnecessary shots.. IF we can survive the day we should lead by 400-450 runs (c'mon it's not impossible).. By day 4 the pitch will be heavily deteriorated. If we can get an early breakthrough and put Aussies into defensive mode they'll fall into our trap.. the wicket will be very slow, turning and our tigers will go for the kill!

InshaAllah.

Miraz
April 10, 2006, 11:24 AM
We should not enforce the follow on. No atter what is the score for aussies, we should score 230-250 odd runs in the second innings and throw the challenge to aussies to win the atch chasing 400-450 runs.

In such a wicket against our spinners u know then what will be the result :D

Ishtylish cricketer
April 10, 2006, 11:29 AM
I too think Bd should not force follow on. I mean Mcgill has already exploited the bd batsmen albeit mainly because of their mistakses but to play Mcgill on a 4th or 5th day would a tough task especially since our batsman are not real good players of the spin bowling anyways. To me australians play aggressively by nature and they are not accustomed to SAVING matches rather they play to win. I would like to see Ponting and Hussey and Clark gut it out on the fourth Inning and see how they handle the situation. As far as victory goes... well I am hoping for the best. Win or tie I am happy that we are showing the world that we belong!

SS
April 10, 2006, 02:16 PM
I had to comment i know you guys won't like it. This is only the SECOND day of the test. THREE Days left and anything can happen. BD deserves
what they did so far, but aussies are so professional they can turn around the game any time they want. And Gilly he is there, and they will be so furious next innings that they will eat us alive.

indian_bd_fan
April 10, 2006, 02:23 PM
irrespective of the fact that bd enforces/does not enforce the follow on, it has been an amazing acheievement by bangladesh against australia that v r cing this type of a thread:D

DeshPremik
April 10, 2006, 02:23 PM
NO......I support those who mentioned about setting up a target for Aussies of 400+ and see how they dance......

zakirc
April 10, 2006, 02:24 PM
Definitely make them follow on. Even if it is just for the record. In any case, unlike most people, I dont think this pitch will turn as much in the 4th/5th day. It is simply going to be a flat batting track.

Even if I am wrong, we all know that Aussies have the capacity to win against Bangladesh from almost any position. So by making them follow on, we at least have the record of making Aussies follow on and probably ZIP the lips of those Big-Mouths down-under forever !!

ahms
April 10, 2006, 02:24 PM
There is no doubt AUS will fight back hard. Ball is in BD court. Bd has to come killer instinct, no let up. Hopefully BD players are not tired already. May Allah help them, ameen.

tutul
April 10, 2006, 02:29 PM
YES. let them follow on, let them bat, get all out under 200 and win by innings. play like tiger, act like champion.

Beamer
April 10, 2006, 02:33 PM
Even if the situation presents itself, we should not enforce the follow on as many posters have alreday said. It will be hellish batting last on this pitch. Australia made the huge mistake by picking five bastmen arrogantly and they are paying the price right now. We must take care of Gilchirst. He has snatched many matches away in simmilar situations against other teams. As long as he is there we shouldn't even think about talks about follow-on. I have great feeling about this match.

indian_bd_fan
April 10, 2006, 02:35 PM
i would say that bangladesh should make australia follow on. this gives bangladesh a chance to pull off an innings win.

imagine - BANGLADESH BEATING AUSTRALIA BY AN INNINGS:D

who would have even thought that in his craziest dreams just 2 day ago.

Carte Blanche
April 10, 2006, 02:38 PM
I don't think it will come down to this. If Gilly clicks, they should have no trouble avoiding the follow on. But in the event they don't, I too think that we sould give our bowlers some rest and take the bat. Batting on this turning and low pitch will be very hard in 4th Inn. and a total of ~450 should be defendable.

sar2005
April 10, 2006, 02:42 PM
No way. Forcing follow on would be the most stupid idea for us. Just for pride or insulting aus, we can't go for asking them to bat again. We must have to remember our 2nd innings performance. I would say, scoring 150 run in 4th innings would be difficult for BD. Remember it's not a ODI adn we are talking about a pitch of 4/5 days old. Also as pointed by many other, we can not take the risk of injuring our bowlers. So, a big NO to enforce aus follow on.

But firstly, let's see if we can restrict them below 228.

TheWatcher
April 10, 2006, 03:09 PM
Guys, remember, all those top order Aussies, who got out cheaply in the first innings, are itching to face our bowlers again. The best strategy for BD at this point is to tire them off, take the fight out of them, before they get the chance.

Learn from the champs, given the chance, Australia, even in their home condition, don't ask their opponents to follow on.

ahms
April 10, 2006, 03:27 PM
It will be a mistake to enforce follow on. AUS will make most out of whatever left in that pitch. Even minimum target on the fifth day will be very hard to get.

I want to remind you match between India vs. Steve Waugh & Co. and India vs. Ricky Ponting & Co. They were in similar sitaution where later did not enforce follow on and AUS won the match in Calcutta. In a spin friendly pitch, playing last is suicidal.

Hope captain and coach pay attention to it. May Allah grant them victory, ameen.

reyme
April 10, 2006, 03:32 PM
NO. Even if there is a chance to force a FO, by not forcing it, achieves the same goal that we were able to crush some mighty ego. The main goal is to win, and if BD is batting 4th inning, a sudden collapse can ruin everything. Dont forget we went 398/5 to 427/all out!

The sooner you can bat in this pitch, the better. BD are more susceptible under pressure! Even a 75 run target could be too much for them in the intense 4th inning. So let the mighty aussies dance under pressure to win or save the match in the 4th inning.

sar2005
April 10, 2006, 03:35 PM
This is a very very important thread and I hope someone from our think tank have a look into this (of course expecting that we can get the remaining 4 wickets before 228).

Can someone in BD please print it and hand over to Dav or Athar or Faruk????

dorbesh
April 10, 2006, 03:51 PM
My opinion is NO to follow on. the reason is, wicket is aleady favoring spiners and wicket has big turns in day 2. there gonna be huge turn in late in day3 day 4 and 5. think Aussi has two world's best bowler in their stake and willing to bat in 4th innings would be suiside! what i would like to see if we can make Aussi follow on (though, i think aussi will be able to avoid follow on) is to bat Bd again and score as many as 250-300 runs and put aussi bat on.

good luck Bangladesh!!

Jodi bissas thake otut..hobe hobei bijoy, inshllah

dorbesh
April 10, 2006, 03:56 PM
by the way guys, do not forget that this is aussi! they have the ability to comeback from any situation and they have the ability to score huge runs in 4th innigs also. they have done it many times (i wish they fail to do it this time :P)!

lets pray for the BD best and hope for the oz worse :)

Alvi
April 10, 2006, 04:06 PM
yeah that is tru we shud probably let them follow on because even if they do score huge they wud have to at least score around 400 to give bangladesh a gud total to chase estimating that they are all out at around 200 because gilchrist is last gud batsman

Anher
April 10, 2006, 04:08 PM
Pleae be positive now about BD team. why not follow on? How about an innings win against the mighty aussies. Does it sounds too much dreamy to u? Tigers will show that much roars against kangaro was also dream before the match start. But its became true. First day BD showed a dream start. 2nd day aussie saw horrible dream. We have domninated in every position agianst aussies last 2 days. Their world best pacers, spninners looked very much ordinary against our top order where ours clearly dominated.
I want an innings win!! I want might tigers roars hard. U know Tigers doesnt hunt until get hungry. Kangaro ponting make the tiger angry. Its tigers show now!!

sunniath
April 10, 2006, 04:08 PM
i think gilli will bat aussies out from follow on.i would love to see the aussies falling short.i hope i am wrong.even if we cant,we should look to bat until fifth day and make them chase an impossible total.i just want to see if they are proud enough to go after or concede the fac that we simply outplayed them in this test.

dorbesh
April 10, 2006, 04:44 PM
yeah that is tru we shud probably let them follow on because even if they do score huge they wud have to at least score around 400 to give bangladesh a gud total to chase estimating that they are all out at around 200 because gilchrist is last gud batsman

yeah, Lee also can bat well, He is in good form recent days. I want them out as quickly as possible :)

IanW
April 10, 2006, 04:57 PM
There have been two main elements in Bangladesh's favour this test. Fear, surprise, and twenty fans armed with talking Boonie dolls.

Sorry, just had a surreal moment there.

The two main elements in Bangladesh's favour have been fatigue and the pitch.

Australia started tired, and got more tired after chasing leather around a hot and humid paddock for a day and a half.

Bangladesh got first use fo a pitch that is getting lower, slower and turning more.

By inviting Australia to bat again, you let most of their team relax in the air-conditioned dressing room, while yours get to chase leather around a hot and humid paddock.

And if they doi get more than 300 - which they should - then you are chasing some sort of target on a slow, dusty, turner with a very geeed-up Maccer and some slow fat middle aged bloke from Victoria.

Nope, you dont want to bat last on this pitch.

Just bat, set them a reasonable target - 500 runs and 4 and a half sessions to get it in sounds about right - and then bowl them out.

Ian Whitchurch

Hasib
April 10, 2006, 05:20 PM
This really is a tricky situation....after all how much is really enough...we are talking about Australia after all...however we don't want to be batting last on that pitch..... so i guess reluctently not make the Aussies follow on.

Rubu
April 10, 2006, 05:26 PM
Against Australia, nothing is enough. But keep in mind, chasing 400+ is virtually impossible on that pitch on 4th innings. So, we must get them out below 200. then score another 2 hundred as slow as possible.

in doing so, Gilcrist will be the biggest problem. So, we have to choke him to death if we can't kill him. i.e. make him run out of partners. put very differensive fielding when he is batting and very attacking when his partner is batting. that should do it.

Braveheart
April 10, 2006, 05:55 PM

Hey Alvi, r u from dhaka? Govt. Lab?

Sovik
April 10, 2006, 05:57 PM
I think we should not enforce follow on, cause we don't want to face warne and mcgill in 4th innings

chinaman
April 10, 2006, 06:45 PM
Before making such call, if I had to, I'd definitely look into the eyes of my bowlers first. Anything less than the freshness of morning dew and I'm done with the decision. Even with the freshness, I'd be very reluctant to bat last.

RazabQ
April 10, 2006, 06:47 PM
Anything less than the freshness of morning dew ...Heh heh, this reads like a copy from a Tampon advertisement :)

chinaman
April 10, 2006, 06:57 PM
You sure do have fresh eyes :)

ASA
April 10, 2006, 07:28 PM
"We do not wanna hurt the ego of aussies, as that might trigger a bounce back." ?!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

What the hell was that? We are getting a chance to slap the Aussies (if you forgot, the number ONEs) - and you want to give it away. There can't be bigger message to the cricket world that we have arrived!!! On top of that - we might be able to pull off an innings defeat! SWEEETTT!!!

Ashtheman
April 10, 2006, 07:30 PM
I am a firm believer in enforcing. Cricket is all about momentum, we should pout them straight back in while they aare reeling. don't let their bowlers try and knock us over and give their batsmen some hope.

Rubu
April 10, 2006, 07:32 PM
You have a chance to make an impression. you don't wanna loose it right? Do not forget you are playing against an aussie team where so many can turn the game other way around single handedly. You have to maximize the chance of a win. do not wanna make a wounded tiger angry. You would not like to loose this game do you?
But that is just a secondary reason. I do not understand why someone would want to bat 4th innings on this pitch.

thebest
April 10, 2006, 07:42 PM
After the dream for two days, somebody is dreaming for innnings defeat. Comeon Aus are world camp, not any minnow. If we have the chance of enforce follow on (which I hv doubt in my minddue to Gilly) I say a big NO. The reasons are already mention. Those who are in favor do u have any understanding wht the big mouth ,fat blond can do on 4th innnings. I still believe he just has a very bad day in office on first day. he would hurt us in the nxt 3 inngs u can be sure. so it is better to give him as liitle support as possible frm the pitch

fai_hasan
April 10, 2006, 07:52 PM
I'm afraid the follow on might not be possible. as all you know, Gilchrist is a man who can take the responsibility on his own shoulder. He would cruise Australia to a safe place before he dies. He would play every last ball if he had to, but he would fight.

PoorFan
April 10, 2006, 08:22 PM
Well, I didn't read any of your comment yet ... but here is my thought.

It wont be easy to bat after fielding half day in the heat, humidity and tiredness. I think AUS has collapsed because of those reason, not only the pitch behavior. So we should put them to bat again if it takes long to clean them up ( like lunch ), don't give them time to think and regroup again.

Besides, regardless the lose or draw, still we will be the winner, if we can pick up the win, we will be the great winner, so there is nothing to lose for us.

mildwind
April 10, 2006, 09:14 PM
If Bangladesh can play the cricket they have played so far, not making the aussies to follow on will be strategically a very stong decision. It will only brighten up the chance to win the test. The reasons are well discussed so far.

1. Condition of pitch on final day
2. Knowing the physical limitations of our cricketers, should not make them to face real test and make them exhausted.

bangla_amar
April 10, 2006, 09:17 PM
No-brainer!!

Just look at the stats of past few years. How many teams enforced follow ons?

NO follow-on.

Bring Aus on the field to burn in the sweltering heat.

Give bowlers much needed rest, refuel and come back for the kill in the fourth innings.

Pitch is slow and turning, might become a mine-field batting last.

Rabz
April 10, 2006, 09:55 PM
i dont think we should enforce follow on...remember the game Aussies lost against India back in 2001 ? it would be very hard for our bowlers to ball for almost 2 days in a row(that happens if we enforce them FO)... plus the fourth and fifth day pitch would be very tricky to bat on...

as said before by lot others.... try get 'em out by 200....and make another 250 in second innings...that will give us a 450+ lead to defend....

as mighty as aussies r....that target would be very hard to chase...

Go Bangladesh

Tigers_eye
April 11, 2006, 07:45 AM
follow-on can not be imposed :)

Rubu
April 11, 2006, 09:21 AM
At least we had the pleasure of discussing it for a day! :)