PDA

View Full Version : Day 3: Strategy

Carte Blanche
April 10, 2006, 01:43 PM
Phew! It took me so long to get here and I've been itching to write this for the last half hour. Do share your thoughts.

Strategies for tomorrow:

Bangladesh "must" go for the kill. Enforcing the follow on would be a massive boost, but I have a gut feeling that Gilly will play a defiant knock and spoil the party for us. Either way, we must try to restrict them under 300. We are known for our 2nd Inn. blues, so a lead of 130+ is imperative. That way even a mediocre performance in 2nd Inn. will set the Aussies a target of ~300 in the last episode of the test match on a turning wicket.

We should also have a back-up plan of targetting the weaker batsmen, have a more aggressive field set for them, and bowl according to our strength. Being pro-active is the key. We all know what Maharoof did to use when we let him off the hook. Lee and Gilly are far deadlier. Plus, remember that Lee will not try to hang around. He will a) slog around, or b) promptly switch the strike over to Gilly. Dav and gang need to come up with a Blitzkrieg plan to counter that overnight.

As for Gilly, he will play as any proper batsman would. His wicket will be
a gift on a silver platter, but I'm sure he has other plans. Bowlers need not try anything fancy against him. He may be overtly cautious early in the morning and we ought to exploit that by bogging him down and cause impatience.

If somebody had told Bashar a week ago that BD would be in this situation at the end of 2nd day, he'd have laughed. We all would. Chances are we won't have everything our way tomorrow morning. So you will have to persevere lads! Be patient and stick to the game plan. We have them by the scruff of the neck, and letting it go would be more heartbreaking than Multan. But remember, they have everything in the world to lose. They will be more nervous than we are. So let us work hard tomorrow and graduate from cubhood with our canines sunk deep in a flustered kangaroo's neck.

Godspeed.

RazabQ
April 10, 2006, 02:45 PM
Have Shahadat and Masree open the morning bowling round the wicket to Gilly and outside the off stump. Have people cutting off his cuts, and then have some in the deep midwicket and longon for the miscued pull.

With Brett Lee, bounce him mercilessly. Bouncer yorker bouncer yorker. Make him hate the fact that he's out in the sun even more.

sar2005
April 10, 2006, 03:15 PM
Attack, attack and attack more to get rid of those remaining 4 wickets as quickly as possible. Then don't enforce follow-on. Bat sensible to score around 200+ in second innings. We have a game on........

betaar
April 10, 2006, 03:40 PM
BD needs an early break through, as early as within first 5 overs, I don't care if it's Gily or Lee. An obvious choice would be Gily, but even if it's Lee we can still get the rest from the other end.

Against Gily we should set up a mixture of semi-attacking field with spinners on as early as 6th over tomorrow morning. We need one slip, silly mid on and a leg slip to catch any snick that comes our way from the prodigious turns that are expected from Enamul. The rest of the fielders should be fairly spread out for Gily. I think Enamul should keep looping the ball without thinking how much runs he is conceeding. Test cricket is all about getting wickets, thinking about the econimy rate and bowling flat would be a great mistake.

I don't think we should continue with our pacers for too long unless they are able to provide early wickets or show some great aggression. They should focus on keeping the ball up and wicket to wicket hoping to get more lbws.

We should impose the "follow-on" on Aussie and bat till the last drop of blood. There is no letting go TIGERS.......we may not get to be in a winning position like this any time soon.

roaring tigerz
April 10, 2006, 03:43 PM
The plan would be simple... line and length. The pitch as they say will do the rest. Yesterday the pacers were sometimes guilty of bowling some hit-me balls. To snare the remaining wickets below 250 our bowlers have to sustain the pressure. I believe the key will be Enamul. He bowled beautifully yesterday and if gilly is knocked off early the Aussies will struggle to reach 200.
I agree that Day-3 might turn out to be much more of a fight of attrition than the previous 2 days. But if we stick to the task and keep bowling tightly , the lower order will find it extremely difficult to survive.
And of course, we are the rank outsiders challenging the indomitable aussies. so our players should enjoy the occasion without burdening themselves with any undue pressure. Even if we crash and burn over the remaining 3 days, the tigers have already taken more from this match than they possibly could have bargained for.

Baundule
April 10, 2006, 03:57 PM
IMO, the first thing would be NOT to let them score easy runs, especially while Gichrist is there. Make him play all the deliveries and labor hard for runs. He is usually attacking in situations like this and he will eventually be out playing some risky shots. No over-aggretion to produce some hit-me deliveries! Spinners should be better option in doing this.

Once Gilly is out, let Rajib and Mashrafee do the rest. Anyway, dont make the mistake of neglecting Australia. It wont surprise me if they, even now, take a first innings lead!

ahms
April 10, 2006, 04:27 PM
Best thing let the spinner take controll totally, and take the opposite end to Gilly. Whole morning session with spin, then take new ball, if necessary only. As Wasim Akram put it, defensive fielding for Gilly and attacking fielding for other end.

IanW
April 10, 2006, 05:08 PM
What Roaring Tigerz said.

Line and length, and let turn and the pitch do the work for you

Nothing on the legs, keep it tight. Australia are one bad shot, one bad ball, one great ball from disaster.

Then put Australia back in the field and bat sensibly - runs on the last 2 days will be hard, and getting runs against Rafique and Haque isnt easy at the best of times.

The plan is (c) Steve Waugh. Bat quickly in the first day, to put runs in the bank and time on your side, then have your fast men get rid of the openers, revealing the middle order to the slow men. Clean up the middle order, using the fast men in short bursts as and when neccessary.

Then bat again, and set them a target that is almost achievable. Then bowl them out late on the fourth day.

Ian Whitchurch

fishyguy
April 10, 2006, 05:32 PM
Whatever happens keep Shahadat away from Gilchrist. He will get murdered.

Either than that very difficult to say what will work. Do the basics right and make sure the close in fielders are as boisterous and annoying as possible.

Shahadat's been pretty lucky he bowled some terrible long hops although luckily for him one kept low and straight.

nsd3
April 10, 2006, 08:56 PM
1. Line and length from Mashrafi and Rajib.
2. Turn and Variety on length/flight by Rafiq and Enamul
3. Don't worry about pressing folow on; even if the're out below 200 runs don't make them bat again. Go bat in 3rd innings cuz 4th innings would be much much more dangerous on this pitch.
4. Bat for full till lunch on Day-4 without worrying about how many runs to score.
5. Give your heart out and take just 10 wkts in 1.5 days to play and enjoy.

reyme
April 10, 2006, 08:57 PM
Some really intelligent strategy! Now how do we compile them all and send the summary to Bashar? Anyone has his cell phone #?

Now can we wrap this up quickly by giving the aussies some extra incentives? Like cold beer, golf course , massage parlour, spicy hajir biriany...etc. etc. etc. I am not sure what works for whom though...

Dhurr
April 10, 2006, 09:01 PM
What Roaring Tigerz said.

Line and length, and let turn and the pitch do the work for you

Nothing on the legs, keep it tight. Australia are one bad shot, one bad ball, one great ball from disaster.

Then put Australia back in the field and bat sensibly - runs on the last 2 days will be hard, and getting runs against Rafique and Haque isnt easy at the best of times.

The plan is (c) Steve Waugh. Bat quickly in the first day, to put runs in the bank and time on your side, then have your fast men get rid of the openers, revealing the middle order to the slow men. Clean up the middle order, using the fast men in short bursts as and when neccessary.

Then bat again, and set them a target that is almost achievable. Then bowl them out late on the fourth day.

Ian Whitchurch

I agree. :)

tas
April 10, 2006, 09:03 PM
Masree & Rajib keep doing what they are doing. Enam & Rafique also the same. Keep pressure on them, do not let them score.

We shouldn't enforce the follow on if we get there, score 200+ and set them 400+ (more inshallah)

Mr-Cricket
April 10, 2006, 09:43 PM
We really need to adopt England's strategy here - Gilchrist has had a year to forget! Basically, all Freddie did was bowl around the wicket, and pitch it about a foot outside off stump, just short of a length. Gilchrist likes having slash outside off stump when given room, but if we can exploit this weakness (9/10 times he will push at it and get caught behind) we will go a long way to - dare I say it - win this match! If we can get a decent lead in the first innings, then game on. But this game could be turned on its head if the Aussies get within 100 runs of our first innings score - we can't become complacent! It could happen if we allow it to!

Go Bangladesh! :)

shovon13
April 10, 2006, 09:55 PM
Whatever happens keep Shahadat away from Gilchrist. He will get murdered.

Either than that very difficult to say what will work. Do the basics right and make sure the close in fielders are as boisterous and annoying as possible.

Shahadat's been pretty lucky he bowled some terrible long hops although luckily for him one kept low and straight.
how does a fast bowler bowl a long hop? those are bouncers. and yes, sometimes he did get the length wrong. but shahadat bowled a lot better than what i expected of him. the hype might just be worth it.

i'm gonna wait until i see him bowl on a fast track though.

Miraz
April 10, 2006, 09:59 PM
Our strategy should be simple , aggressive. But defensive against Gilly to protect runs and all out effort at the other end.

We should make their life difficult to score any run

LeeXU
April 11, 2006, 12:43 AM
all out them by 270-280. make a 200+ 2nd innings and let the show to go on 5th day.