PDA

View Full Version : When to accelerate?

aosaif
April 11, 2006, 10:38 AM
It is inevitable that either Masud or Rajin will fall sooner or later. After that happens, our boneless tail comes in and will probably flop like in the first innings. Should the tail try to stick it out while the recognized batsman at the other end slams ODI style? Should they both continue playing Test style? Should they both attempt to slam ODI style?

Have a feeling that we will not last long tomorrow. Just a feeling.

Mr-Cricket
April 11, 2006, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure if batting in cavalier fashion is in our best interests here. I would have thought grinding out runs would have been the safe bet, but like you said (althought I'm not quite sure it's so much 'inevitable' as likely) one of Mashud or Rajin could fall, so we can't be caught dawdling either! It's a conundrum!

Spitfire_x86
April 11, 2006, 10:54 AM
Rajin and Pilot should be watchful at least till lunch. But they also need to take advantage of every bad delivery, since we simply can't waste any scoring opportunity.

Ahmed_B
April 11, 2006, 11:13 AM
Any attempt to accelerate the scoring will be completely suicidal on a 4th day turning pitch. The wickets of Ash/Bashar/Aftab has really set BD on backfoot now and BD may very well lose this match if they get bundled out cheaply tomorrow. Patience is the only key at this moment.

Ishtylish cricketer
April 11, 2006, 11:21 AM
A simple question but the answer is very condition-specific! If the one of the two batters get out quickly for instance in less than 5 overs than i think the remaining batsmen will take the attack the to aussies. Take could mean that we are not even able to take a lead of 300: that would be horrendous considering how well we started out. However, ideally we should bat till lunch and look to accelerate from that point on. This would ensure at least a draw against the champions and it would also send the message to the rest of the world that we can bat for a long period in the second inning. But the generally accepted wisedom about this plan is that it very unlikely to materialize. Our batsmen have not shown the ability to play Mcgill nor Warne well, and there is absolutely no reason to believe that things will turn around tomorrow. Having said that cricket's a funny game, and one never knows what is to come. My early inclination is that this match could turn out to be a draw or a win for the Aussies as we have never bowled trying to win a test match and that too against the number one team in the world. But win lose or draw i am happy with the team's progress as well as certain individual efforts. Overall, in order for us to move forward and to become a good team, everyone needs to contribute in a consistent basis and only then will we become a good test team. For now, I say let's wait and see what happens on day 4. Can't wait!

Sovik
April 11, 2006, 11:33 AM
we don't need to accelerate. we just need to bat until lunch. and above 2 runs per over do just fine if we can play 30-40 overs

Tigers_eye
April 11, 2006, 11:58 AM
six sessions left. must use up one session full even if we don't score that much. so grinding it out is what the doctor would order. no accelerating needed. hit the lose ball to keep the fielders honest. We need a Lee, gillespie type support from mash, rafique.

sadi
April 11, 2006, 12:02 PM
No acceleration... even if we can play upto tea... which I don't think we can... by playing two sessions, we will basically throw australia out of a winning situation and then they ahve to fight it out for a draw which they are not good at.... we just need to bat as much as possible.... run will come on its own...

Mr-Cricket
April 11, 2006, 12:16 PM
I think what I personally, and what most of us have failed to realise (or mention) is that Australia will not be playing for a draw here - there is no question about it, even if they had (for example) two sessions to chase down 300 runs, they would go for it, just to save themselves the embarassment of drawing to such a lowly ranked side. So, like most of us have mentioned, grinding out the runs and leaving as little time as possible for them to reply may actually work to our advantage - it would leave Australia to do all the attacking, in a bid to win the game. And this could work for them, but it could just as easily backfire! Ahhh, I just want the next session to begin already! It would save all this guesswork!

oracle
April 11, 2006, 12:25 PM
Rafique should be patient and try his best to copy his century performance from last year. Don't care about his runs but how long he and Mortaza can stay put. I see Rajin there throughout the inning. More than runs it is crucial to drag our innings tomorrow.

nayef
April 11, 2006, 01:13 PM
most of u mentioned the importance of being there... i'd just add that the longer our batsman stay there... the more frustrating it will be for the Aussies. Think of how pissed off we (atleast I) were getting when gilly and gillespie was keeping us at bay. so.. its just a matter of time that the bowlers get frustration and droop their shoulders... and thats the time to attack. everyone models themselves on the Aussies... let us give them a taste of their own medicine!!

Rubu
April 11, 2006, 01:20 PM
I do not think we should ever excel in given situation. Just stay there and pass the time. Run will come with the bad balls. If we can keep wickets, we can play like ODI in last 10 overs before tea. Until then, play as it its a 10 day test.

rudro
April 11, 2006, 01:34 PM
Never, unless we can stick to the wicket for the first two sessions without losing any more, in which case we will play slogs after Launch.

rudro
April 11, 2006, 01:35 PM
Off-topic - Rubu, you should change your sig now. Alok will not be in the test team until next year!

shamster
April 11, 2006, 04:48 PM
It is inevitable that either Masud or Rajin will fall sooner or later. After that happens, our boneless tail comes in and will probably flop like in the first innings. Should the tail try to stick it out while the recognized batsman at the other end slams ODI style? Should they both continue playing Test style? Should they both attempt to slam ODI style?

Have a feeling that we will not last long tomorrow. Just a feeling.When you say tail you are including Mashrafe and Rafique I would not call them boneless to be honest we have an excellent tail trust me I have seen worser tails. Inshallah Masud and Rajin will see out more overs get at least another 40 runs and take us past 300 and when time comes right Mashrafe and Rafique will bat.

I would like to see Shahadat come in ahead next cos he can defend but not attack as good as rafique or Mashrafe. Its no point bringing them in to defend cos that will be waste of good attacking players.

Imtiazk
April 11, 2006, 04:56 PM
As long as we bat out a session and a bit , say, 150 minutes, a minimum of 60 runs will be scored. More likely, 80 runs unless Rafique or Murtaza goes berserk for a reasonable period.

Unless, they collapse within the next 18 runs, every run above that turns the screw on the Aussies. Ponting already made the mistake of allowing Nafees unnecessary runs.

I suspect they will start with Lee from end - that could be Ponting's last mistake as our batsmen actually might prefer to face pace rather than Warne or MacGill.

aosaif
April 11, 2006, 05:19 PM
most of u mentioned the importance of being there... i'd just add that the longer our batsman stay there... the more frustrating it will be for the Aussies. Think of how pissed off we (atleast I) were getting when gilly and gillespie was keeping us at bay. so.. its just a matter of time that the bowlers get frustration and droop their shoulders... and thats the time to attack. everyone models themselves on the Aussies... let us give them a taste of their own medicine!!

I think I've finally found my answer. Thanks for that comment Nayef.

Well, seems we all have a consensus here, something rare for BanglaCricket.

VERDICT: Bat, bat and bat it out with blood-sweating defence until yo momma calls you home!

ammark
April 11, 2006, 05:25 PM
I do not think we should ever excel in given situation. Just stay there and pass the time. Run will come with the bad balls.

Sounds like a test match. I have faith in Rajin and Pilot: they both have good technique to keep their stumps intact, and play grounded shots more. They hang around, and nudge singles and eat up deliveries. All they have to do is stick in their till lunch, and wear the Aussie players out. They are tired, and in miserably hot humid conditions. Its our turn to frustrate them out

PoorFan
April 11, 2006, 09:48 PM
<!--StartFragment --> Only after lunch, and we must have to survive till / post lunch, or after 8 down if we lose early wicket, we need to score as many runs as we can in that case.

fai_hasan
April 11, 2006, 10:53 PM

Have a feeling that we will not last long tomorrow. Just a feeling.

mama you are wrong. if you look at the history you would understand our lower order plays better than the top order when bangladesh loses early wickets.

I guess they would be able to add 120 runs today

:cool: