PDA

View Full Version : Cool Hobbits!!

betaar
April 12, 2006, 01:01 AM
After watching the match for last 3 days I think one of the reasons we are doing good against Aussie, in addition to the determination and the skill, is our height or the lack of it.
See, the pitch is flat and low, of the pitch bowling is slow…….I bet Brett Lee’s balls are coming up as 135-140K’s max or not even (unless it’s fuller length) after pitching on this lifeless turf. So the faster he tries to bowl the better it is for BD batsman to hit it out of the park.

But the biggest advantage is our height.
How you might ask?
See, when a bowler of Gillespie and Clark’s stature bowl in a pitch that we have in Fatullah, the balls come at a right height and pace for our batsman. Even if they keep low, our short batsmen find it easer to defend’em or even drive’em. So we have the extra advantage by being short. But the opposite is also true in OZ’s case when we go in their backyard.
But for now, watch your head and low bounce OZ, cause you are in the Hobbit Land.

zakirc
April 12, 2006, 02:38 AM
Interesting thoughts .....

prasad
April 12, 2006, 03:34 AM
brett lee at 135.........sir,speed of the bowler doesnt depend on the nature of the pitch.its the speed at which the ball leaves the hand.the short balls of lee r not working.and he is not getting early wkts.thats the reason for bd's good batting display.the starts have been good.

betaar
April 12, 2006, 08:43 AM
brett lee at 135.........sir,speed of the bowler doesnt depend on the nature of the pitch.its the speed at which the ball leaves the hand.the short balls of lee r not working.and he is not getting early wkts.thats the reason for bd's good batting display.the starts have been good.

Prasad,
you are partially correct.

Speed of the ball does depend on how fast the ball is delivered, but at the same time, if the pitch is on the slower side then of the pitch the ball is bound to get slower. An example: if you followed Indi vs. Paki series (I’m sure you did) you’d see that the Hawk Eye constantly showed the reduction of speed after the balls were pitched on those dead Pakistani pitches. At times, after pitching, the balls were loosing almost 25% of the speed they were delivered by the bowlers. So by the time a Shoib Akhter delivery reached the batsman it was by no mean as fast as it was originally delivered.
<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

I do agree with you that Brett Lee was not getting enough bounce, which I already mentioned in my post, for our batsmen’s disliking, but in fact it helped our batsman to play their natural shots. The opposite happened when we bowled at the OZs.<O:p</O:p

Tigers_eye
April 12, 2006, 08:52 AM
Can't agree whole heartedly with you on the height issue. How did hayden, ponting play in the second innings? Did they shrink in the second innings? Unable to bat in the 1st innings has a lot to do with the SA tour and no practice matches. They weren't adjusted to pitch. These guys has won in every subcontinent pitch.

For our batsmen, again they didn't get taller in the second innings. Curving out mistakes was the key between the two innings.

betaar
April 12, 2006, 10:18 AM
Can't agree whole heartedly with you on the height issue. How did hayden, ponting play in the second innings? Did they shrink in the second innings? Unable to bat in the 1st innings has a lot to do with the SA tour and no practice matches. They weren't adjusted to pitch. These guys has won in every subcontinent pitch.

For our batsmen, again they didn't get taller in the second innings. Curving out mistakes was the key between the two innings.

Cats Eye, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I never said that their tall stature was the only reason for their failure or our lack of height is the main reason for our success, rather I said it’s the combo of determination and technique that succeeded our batsman and they were in a little advantageous position because of their height. It’s pretty evident for a person who played cricket to understand that a tall batsman always has harder time to cope with the low bounce. But a tall batsman can definitely do well provided he has the necessary skill to adopt. And that is why <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region> is doing well 2<SUP>nd</SUP> time around and will only get better.

I think BD's purpose would've served better with Rasel as he is slower then Shahdat and would've done better keeping the ball low and wicket to wicket causing further havoc for AUS.