PDA

View Full Version : Biggest mistake by BD in this match?

goru
April 12, 2006, 02:07 AM
I know this is still far from over... but, win/lose (i assume no chance of draw), what do you think was the worst mistake made by BD in this match?

I don't think you can really put the blame on the poor showing in the 2nd innings. I mean, realistically, that's what almost always happens to us and is not unexpected against a team like Australia.

The biggest point of failure, IMHO, was allowing Australia to regain control of their first innings when we were strangling them at 93/6... giving away 150+ runs with tailenders playing is just not very good at all. We let Lee and Gillespie bat for 138 balls... and that gave Gilchrist the opportunity to really cut our lead down. This also got our players tired from staying out in the field for so long, and probably affected our 2nd innings performance.

zakirc
April 12, 2006, 02:18 AM
Biggest mistake / turning point would be the missed stumping of Gilcrist.

reyme
April 12, 2006, 02:42 AM
Exactly, our players got tired. Nafees's out was a key evidence.

Miraz
April 12, 2006, 03:16 AM
I think biggest mistake is the stupid stupid runout of Bashar, slogging before tea by Bashar and even more stupid captaincy by Bashar when we were on top & aussies 93/6.

PoorFan
April 12, 2006, 03:27 AM
Lazy run out of BASHAR!

reyme
April 12, 2006, 03:33 AM
Having 2 idiot umpires. They gave bad decisions against us many times (ash got bad decision in both innings), gave too many benefit of doubts to the australians. They ruined eve rything.

6alltheway
April 12, 2006, 03:43 AM
Simply it was our 2nd innings, anything can happen during matches, but if you cant bat 2nd innings you will never win a match, thats a sad but true fact of bangladesh cricket right now.

mildwind
April 12, 2006, 03:47 AM
Bashar could have made a difference along with Saleh. But his run out was such a poor show of cricket. Aftab should not be too much negative in test. He should score runs as he does in ODI. Eventually he can stay longer. When he starts defending it looks like he is not comfortable with it. He should play his natural game. Pilot gotta give a hand to batting. He has been getting out so cheaply these days. I should start thinking of BD team comprised of 10 members excluding Ash.

prasad
April 12, 2006, 04:06 AM
losing wkts before the breaks(lunch,tea)...as wasim pointed out.why do batsmen go for the heroics before these breaks.all they need is to shut down shop and come back fresh.

Navarene
April 12, 2006, 04:11 AM
Of course the pathetic display of batting in the 2nd innings, consider it as mistake or horrendous habit. Turning point was Bashar's run out. Why was he running so slow would be an alltime mystery for us BD fans.

Mr-Cricket
April 12, 2006, 04:47 AM
I'm not defending Bashar's judgement for one second in that run-out: clearly he has an example to set when out in the middle. But what alot of you havn't realised or mentioned is that Clarke did unbelievably well to not only field that ball, but to also turn his back and throw down the stumps, with only one stump in sight. Credit where credit is due - that is sheer class!

crickwizard
April 12, 2006, 04:56 AM
Biggest mistake is to keep dumb Bashar as team captain. An absolute incompetent

Ahmed_B
April 12, 2006, 05:00 AM
Why you think that one or two mistakes caused this situation?
U want to get all-out for 148 in 2nd innings and still want to win against Aussies?

It would be fair to look for excuses/mistakes if BD had scored atleast 200 in 2nd inning and still lost the match. But not in this situation.

zahid
April 12, 2006, 06:15 AM
Biggest mistake?
Nah.... biggest mistakes!

1. Gilchristrey na out koira onek agey.
2. Faltu batting 2nd inningsey
3. Rasel na thakay ei Testey
4. Ashraful, Aftab ar senior Omar bhai beshi kichu na kortey paray.
5. Lower order tiktey na paray.

Hatebreed
April 12, 2006, 06:25 AM
- Letting Aussie tailenders score all those runs after taking 6 wickets for 93

- PATHETIC batting by BD in 2nd inning.

- Pathtic bowling that is letting Aussies win.

The first two days of this test belonged to us, which was like a dream but it was real. But we decided to throw it all away and go down without a fight. That's what you get from BD.

truetruetiger
April 12, 2006, 06:40 AM
Clarke did unbelievably well to not only field that ball, but to also turn his back and throw down the stumps, with only one stump in sight. Credit where credit is due - that is sheer class!

ye i agree with that. there have been many cases were we and even the aussies have been 'lazy' when running, but we haven't noticed it because there was no direct hit. clarke is a briliant fielder

truetruetiger
April 12, 2006, 06:45 AM
- But we decided to throw it all away and go down without a fight. That's what you get from BD.

sorry mate but i can't agree with that. rafique and enam bowled their heart out. ash was given out by a wrong decision, and clarks briliance dismissed bashar. but give nangladesh some time, we are improving. few years down the line, we will have saqibal hasan and mushfiq rahim coming in, then we will be a match for any side

ammark
April 12, 2006, 06:56 AM
- bashar let go of momentum in 1st innings after Warne's dismissal. Lee and Gillespie partnerships were allowed to get settled in (ie. reflective of Bashar's bowling and fielding set up attitude)

- Gilchrist belting Enam. Bashar could have risked taking the new ball when due, and use it 20 overs instead of an overused soft ball

-BD Batting: JO's wild slash, Ash playing with an idiotic attitude, and Bashar's horrific run out. He is solely to blame for that. Eto dhila doiratesilo ken? That was WRONG body language and attitude there in itself from all 3!

-"Pathtic bowling that is letting Aussies win."

BUT: We gave Aus a run for their money for the first few days of the test match: no denying it. One week ago this is exactly what we fans wanted. We've just been misled by 1st innings heroics and decided to dream big, instead of, as Adam Gilchrist said "Thinking Straight"

Sovik
April 12, 2006, 07:11 AM
Every thing in second innings except nafees's and rajin's efforts

Hasib
April 12, 2006, 07:26 AM
Every thing in second innings except nafees's and rajin's efforts

Nafees's? he shud have never gone on the attack

Hatebreed
April 12, 2006, 07:31 AM
sorry mate but i can't agree with that. rafique and enam bowled their heart out. ash was given out by a wrong decision, and clarks briliance dismissed bashar. but give nangladesh some time, we are improving. few years down the line, we will have saqibal hasan and mushfiq rahim coming in, then we will be a match for any side

Let me clarify-

We let the Aussies score 150+ runs despite taking their 6 top batsmen in just 93 runs. If only Bashar decided to attack at the right time we could have a 200 runs lead easily.. but that didn't happen. Still 158 is a very handy lead..

Then our batsman put up their usual mediocre performance in the 2nd inning where they should have made at least 200 runs.

Bashar dismissal is to be blamed on his lazy running, not just Clark's brilliant fielding. Ashraful may have been unlucky but Aftab was literally clueless on both innings... I hoped Rajin, Mashud, Rafique and Mash would add those vital runs today.. but we know what happened on both innings.

Rafique and Enamul are trying their best but I'm afraid their efforts will go in vein simply because we didn't work hard enough to maintain our dominance throughout the match. We're not capable of fighting back the way Aussies did.

Sure now we can blame it on lack of experience or a whole new experience, that we need time, our future is bright and so on... that doesn't change the reality of this particular match. The mistakes we made will haunt me for a long time simply because of how close we can get to making history and fail in the end.

I really hope our team will prove me wrong.

Spitfire_x86
April 12, 2006, 08:02 AM
1. Bashar's run out in the 2nd innings
2. Aftab's dismissal in the 2nd innings
3. Losing last 5 wickets for alomst nothing in the 2nd innings

Sovik
April 12, 2006, 08:18 AM
Nafees's? he shud have never gone on the attack

he was playing well until he got out. and that ball was really good and he was little bit late

cricket_pagla
April 12, 2006, 08:23 AM
i pointed out.. seems these r da perfect mistakes....
1. we start playin badly after 2nd day...
2. we start playin badly after 2nd day...
3. we start playin badly after 2nd day...
(2 b continued.. )

Tigers_eye
April 12, 2006, 08:30 AM
Bashar could have made a difference along with Saleh. But his run out was such a poor show of cricket. Aftab should not be too much negative in test. He should score runs as he does in ODI. Eventually he can stay longer. When he starts defending it looks like he is not comfortable with it. He should play his natural game. Pilot gotta give a hand to batting. He has been getting out so cheaply these days. I should start thinking of BD team comprised of 10 members excluding Ash.

Enough with the natural game. Didn't you watch Gilly play the 1st innings? How about Ponting having a SR of 42.6 in the second innings? If the batsmen can't play what the situation demands for then they should be out of the test team. No option. We have enough in the pipe line waiting to teach so called super stars on how to play the test cricket. Rajin is a prime example.

Tigers_eye
April 12, 2006, 08:32 AM
Sorry, forgot to answer the original question.

1. Bashar's run out.
2. Aftab's shot when there was only few balls left and a pratnership was already there.

ammark
April 12, 2006, 08:38 AM
Enough with the natural game. Didn't you watch Gilly play the 1st innings? How about Ponting having a SR of 42.6 in the second innings? If the batsmen can't play what the situation demands for then they should be out of the test team. No option. We have enough in the pipe line waiting to teach so called super stars on how to play the test cricket. Rajin is a prime example.

Reflects my thoughts very closely. see thread: http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=15837

Nasif
April 12, 2006, 08:42 AM
Biggest mistake was the batting collapse on 4th day. If we only could bat till lunch or bit after lunch... :(

Sovik
April 12, 2006, 08:46 AM
We should learn from aussie innings. they did not cut, they did not pull and they did not play sweap shots. they did not go after our bowlers and played with lots of patience. and those are the things we didn't do in 2nd innings

ahms
April 12, 2006, 08:47 AM
Well, counting on the mistakes will not give back the game. It is players duty to rectify themselves and try to be more disciplined. Inshallah we will progress.

oracle
April 12, 2006, 08:47 AM
too early to point out mistakes but Bashar's runout was unnecessary and a big dent in the overall good effort. Still, 5th day is'nt as predictable as it looks.

istiak
April 12, 2006, 08:57 AM
Some of the rush shots from our batsmen are to be blame!! I am not very sure our bowlers did very badly. All you have to understand Gili batted very well and after that stamping chance he hardly gave any more opportunity. 93/6 doesn’t necessarily mean that next four wkts are easy to come by and Australian tail enders showed their capability to stick many times before so I was not surprised. Lee has some very good innings in tests even in last year’s disastrous ashes tour.

Basher’s out in both innings are really pathetic, but I was really mad to see the way Aftab got out at the very end of the day. Ash again failed as usual he only managed to stay 42 deliveries in two innings THAT is not good enough in a test match. Rajin was really impressive but Masud was struggling in both innings. In second innings again warne was getting big turns and for our tail it was just too much.

<O:p</O:p
ONLY batsmen to be blame. Again and once again

istiak
April 12, 2006, 09:00 AM

Completly agree!!

Baundule
April 12, 2006, 09:24 AM
IMO, biggest mistake came in the first innings. All too surprised?

The tailenders should have batted much better and they are capable of doing that. The mistake is, we thought runs will be scored in a linear fashion and after Mashud's out, no one tried to just check their natural or whatever technique to build a good partnership with Rajin.

Getting the Aussies at 93/6 and then letting them score 150 more runs is no big issue. Aussies are used to doing that in many occassions. Pretty happy with the bowlers.

The attitude in second innings says that we have not yet learnt to play test cricket. Nafees scored a breezy 30+ runs; but he could have been out several times. There was no need to hurry. Most of us were thinking a 200/250+ score is there for granted! The players also had the same attitude and that resulted in the 148 all out. Bashar's run out is no single event; it is just a part of the complete attitude.

I am still hopeful that we will win the match. The bowlers are doing excellently well and if there is no let up by the fielders in catching, a hard-fought win is there!

i_1_primeval_man
April 12, 2006, 09:32 AM
I don't agree with anyone whoever is saying that our biggest mistake was to let the Aussie tail score 150+ runs. I mean we didn't let them, they scored those runs with their ability. We got a upper hand on them in the early part of their first innings, but let us not forget that they are a champion team. So resistance was expected to come from the likes of Lee, Gillespie. They have done it several times against more competent bowling attack than this BD team. And we all Know what Gilly is capable of.
The biggest mistake according to me was Bashar's jogging between the wickets. This silly guy ruined the chance of a very potential partnership with Rajin who was batting with sheer confidence.

Thirdman
April 12, 2006, 09:53 AM
Biggest mistake / turning point would be the missed stumping of Gilcrist.

I thought that missed stumping would have got Lee out, not Gilly. Am I wrong?

Mr-Cricket
April 12, 2006, 09:56 AM
Instead of pointing out all the negatives that have come out of this game (Admittedly, there have been a few), I thought I would point out some of the positives. Our bowlers have worked their butts off. Rafique just keeps coming up with the goods - even at 36! Enamul's been more than handy at the other end. Shahadat has given it his all - he has a bit of aggression, which is a good trait for any opening bowler. I think Mashrafee has bowled well, but at the start of spells he tends to be a bit wayward - straying down leg side too often. Still, more could have been/ and still can be done!

Here is what Mark Waugh had to say:

"Meanwhile, former Australian Test batsman Mark Waugh said that the Bangladeshi bowling attack need to vary its tactics to have any chance of victory.

"(Bangladesh) need a bit more imagination, they have two left-arm spinners and two right arm quicks who bowl pretty much the same," Waugh told Fox Sports.

"They need to mix it up a bit, go around the wicket and over the wicket and just keep the Australians guessing a little bit."

Source: Sportal

Thirdman
April 12, 2006, 10:01 AM
8 Biggest mistakes:
1. Bashar's Captaincy. (not attacking the field more after 93/6 in the first inn.)
2. Bashar's Captaincy. (getting out silly and unnecessary in both innings. "I always play like that" - he says. Learn from Ponting and Gilchrist!)
3. Bashar's Captaincy. (not taking the new ball timely)
4. Bashar's Captaincy. (not changing to spin bowling quickly enough in AUS 2nd innings. also not experimenting with bowling/fielding altogether)

Numbers 5,6 and 7 will also be Bashar's Captaincy.

If I have a number 8, that be the style Ashraful played. I would suggest to keep him out of the team for some time, and let Kapali or someone else to take his place.

GuruTM
April 12, 2006, 10:21 AM
Sometimes i wish that Whatmore actually should speak to Bashar and ask him to quit captaincy like Greg Chappell did to Sourav Gangully. Other than being a consistent batsman he is not worthy of a captain.

SMHasan
April 12, 2006, 10:52 AM
Lot of people are saying lot of things but the truth is that inspite of having all the elements of a good team we can't win a test match for just lacking of a good direction. In cricket lot of things happen bowlers get wickets, batsmen get runs and vice versa but in the end of the day we should do what we are supposed to do. For example people said we let the aussies to make lots of runs from a horrible situation but it happens. Some things in this world are out of control.

Looking in every aspect of this match I believe the biggest mistake is - we didn't attack the Aussies properly in the late 4th day. Our fielders were spread out, head and shoulders were down, eyes were lacking in imagination. We did not have a big target to defend with but still we were reluctant. Yes true in one sense we were specially our captain were a bit careless about the field placing. As Gavaskar said you have to try to make things happen, don't wait for the things to happen. As I say do something new, something different so that batsmen have to think and make them a liitle bit worried.Don't die before you die.Always keep your hope alive.

Its very normal that someone will fail to make runs today but he will have some runs tomorrow.But the main thing is to try to use your brain. This is where Bashar failed.

betaar
April 12, 2006, 10:57 AM
Our main mistake was our consistency……..I mean our consistent batting failure in the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> inning.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I think BD should appeal to ICC and ask them to change the format of the test match into a one inning per side match……..oh well, in that case match will be over in a day and that will collide with one day format. It’s hopeless….<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
On a serious note- one of our mistakes was not to take Rasel instead of Shahdat. Rasel would’ve been such a useful bowler in this condition where wicket to wicket bowling is a must.<o:p></o:p>

Mahmood
April 12, 2006, 11:07 AM
Opening 3rd day with Enamul instead of Rajib.

Moshin
April 12, 2006, 11:20 AM
If Khaled Mashud played the ball instead of just leaving it, then Bangladesh's total would be positive.:mad:

SS
April 12, 2006, 11:28 AM
these batsmen need intense course of gaining temperment and patience, that what we are missing mostly especially our top order. Send them to any other part of the world where you can tame these monkeys.Give them mental medicine to calm down or something. is anything out there to cool down their brains' cerebral cortrex. Mind my language but because of their silly batting we lost the great opportunity of our life time.

cluster11
April 12, 2006, 11:32 AM
Cmon guys! Aussie tailenders did not score all the runs! Gilchrist scored 144 out of their entire total of 269! In fact some of there tail enders didn't even score a single run in a partenrship of 20+. Only tailender who fought well was Gillespie. And this excuse of "didn't get Gilchrist out soon enuff" doesn't make sense. We couldn't get him out because he was playing extremely well, and even the best batsman gets life once or twice in the innnings. Australia is #1 for almost a decade for a reason. Yes we made mistakes in this match but so did Australia. There top order collapsed like house of cards in the first innings while ours did much better. Like our run-out with Bashar in 2nd innings they trigerred a mini-collapse to go from a solid 173/1 to lose 3 wkts in 30 runs. But most of the fans criticizing here seems to forget that. Mistakes were made by both sides but they both gave their best in this match, BD more laudable because they are #10 playing the #1. That's the reason why we are in the 5th day and still fighting!

Srilanka folded for 73 runs against Pakistan in a test match where both side scored below 150 in an innings. We may lose this match but what will go in the stats is our 427 against the world champion and Rafique's 5/26 . Australia is expected to do what they are doing. We have only to gain from this test and the entire series. The same ppl who were saying Kenya & Tikolo will beat us in the ODI series now wants Bashar's head after a fighting match against the world champs. I for one think the BD team has improved greatly in the past year and have faith in them.

Thirdman
April 12, 2006, 11:44 AM
Cmon guys! Aussie tailenders did not score all the runs! Gilchrist scored 144 out of their entire total of 269! .... But most of the fans criticizing here seems to forget that. Mistakes were made by both sides but they both gave their best in this match, BD more laudable because they are #10 playing the #1. That's the reason why we are in the 5th day and still fighting!

This thread IS about mistakes Bangladesh made! Why should we talk about the bright sides here!!! Why not open another thread with titles like "What BD achieved from this Test" or "Top 10 BD Positives of all time"? And lets talk more about the mistakes Bangladesh made in this thread!

sadi
April 12, 2006, 11:47 AM
our captain and vice-captain made us look like dumba**... what a way to get out

ManInBlack
April 12, 2006, 01:57 PM
In a pre match press conference Bashar said tht our team will try to improve 2nd innings batting. It didnt happen. Its the 2nd innings that let us down many times before and if we lose tomorrow it'll be becoz of the same reason.

We came so close to make our dream come true...so colse...
One thing will haunt me till the day we beat aus in test is Bashars run out.

shimraj
April 12, 2006, 06:34 PM
Of course the pathetic display of batting in the 2nd innings, consider it as mistake or horrendous habit. Turning point was Bashar's run out. Why was he running so slow would be an alltime mystery for us BD fans.

May be it will remain mystery. But there is no harm speculating :)

1. He forgot Clarke is left handy, so he thought he has to pick up the ball in left hand, shift it to right hand, move his whole body to the right on the run .... wow plenty of time
2. From Clarke's angle it was a single stick wicket. Bashar thought "hehe, oi angle thaika wicket falano oto shohoj na babaji" so no hurry.
3. "Koisilam runta naoner dorkar nai, kheloom na shala, dekhi amaray chhara jitosh kamnay"
4. "Shala bathroom paoner ar shomoy pailo na.."
5. I can make it, but let's give the spectators some thrill just for the sake of it.

fai_hasan
April 12, 2006, 07:05 PM
There wasn't any mistake of the Bangladesh team. However, some major mistakes by the batsmen. They couldn't take the pressure and lost their temperment completely.

IanW
April 12, 2006, 07:09 PM
Not getting heavily on board at 30:1 when it was on offer.

Ian

PoorFan
April 12, 2006, 09:38 PM
In a pre match press conference Bashar said tht our team will try to improve 2nd innings batting. It didnt happen. Its the 2nd innings that let us down many times before and if we lose tomorrow it'll be becoz of the same reason.

We came so close to make our dream come true...so colse...
One thing will haunt me till the day we beat aus in test is Bashars run out.

<!--StartFragment -->improve 2nd innings batting

If they don't sit down all together and figure out what exactly the problem is on playing 2nd innings, and how to play according to each individual merit and skill, as well as game situation and pitch condition, other than that how a team can improve only by saying or thinking? I just don't understand how a team can fail over and over if they worked on a problem and have the common understanding on it.

I am not sure but seems to me they never discussed ( all together ) and sorted out each individual shortage and problem ( playing in second innings ) and the way out of it. If they doing it properly in ( before 2nd innings ) every series, I don't see why and how they are making the same mistake every time, at least there should some improvement by now.

<!--StartFragment -->Somebody should seriously do something on this matter.

Hasib
April 12, 2006, 10:41 PM
he was playing well until he got out. and that ball was really good and he was little bit late

We should learn from aussie innings. they did not cut, they did not pull and they did not play sweap shots. they did not go after our bowlers and played with lots of patience. and those are the things we didn't do in 2nd innings

You contridict urself.... Nafees should have played the way the Aussies played... When he started smacking all those boundaries I knew we were in trouble straight away.

Hasib
April 12, 2006, 10:47 PM
8 Biggest mistakes:
1. Bashar's Captaincy. (not attacking the field more after 93/6 in the first inn.)
2. Bashar's Captaincy. (getting out silly and unnecessary in both innings. "I always play like that" - he says. Learn from Ponting and Gilchrist!)
3. Bashar's Captaincy. (not taking the new ball timely)
4. Bashar's Captaincy. (not changing to spin bowling quickly enough in AUS 2nd innings. also not experimenting with bowling/fielding altogether)

1. I agree
2. I disagree- what does his captancy gotta do with his shot selection and running? Nothing. He threw his wicket away yes but so do other Bangladeshi batsmen
3. I disagree- its a spinners pitch
4. I disagree- He introduced the spinners in over No. 12

As for Ashraful he got two bad dicisions against him

Shakalaka
April 13, 2006, 02:14 AM
1) Missed opportunity of Khaled Masud on run out.
2) Lazy jogging of Habbibul Bahshar.
2) Ashraful's selfish show-off innings.

Other than that, we have every reason to celebrate of our accomplishments.

BioMEMS
April 13, 2006, 02:22 AM
The fact that the total number of runs scored by the last 10 BD wickets in the two innings amounted to 47 is criminal!

TAQATOO
April 13, 2006, 03:59 AM
I think the biggest mistake was Bashar's run out. I don't think that he will stay there and played a ponting's innings, but this type of things lowered the team moral strenght.
About Bangladesh team, the biggest mistake is, they are not learning quickly. Most of our current batsman have seen both Gilchrist and Ponting batting in this pitch in this pressure. Did they learn ? How to bat straight, how to keep your head cool, how to build a partnership. I think they didn't. Int the 2nd test they will again go after the bowling and this time i think they will not score as many as first test.
Another thing, no body is talking about Rajin's out in the 2nd innings. He should not get out in that style. When each run count. He should stay there calm. Try out singles in the last ball of each over and rotate strike and gather runs as many as he can. Why the hell he went to pull gillespie out of the ground ???

Ejaj
April 13, 2006, 04:08 AM
Biggest mistake to me.. 2nd day afternoon one hour play and OUR Ba-"Stupid"-shar as captain.. What a pathetic looser. he really should quit captaincy himself. He is a disgrace of a captain.. and he should rather play games agaisnt Afganistan or anyohter non test playing country. HE is a shame and He is my enemy no. 1.

PoorFan
April 13, 2006, 04:26 AM
Too many mistake in 2nd innings batting ...

1. Bashar's lazy run out.
2. None of our middle order care for a good partnership,
and never realize that NOT LOSING wicket in test, is a huge pressure on opponents.
3. our well reputed tail-end failed to score in both innings, especially the 2nd innings.

What Gilcrist or Ponting and other aussi did is their full credit, not our fault or mistake. In that sense I totally blame our fault and inability of 2nd innings batting.

cricket_pagol
April 13, 2006, 04:41 AM
I thought ashraful's second innings decision was bad, but the first innings one was OK.

Even with all the mistakes in batting, we had a decent target to defend. On the fourth day it seemed that everybody was going through the motion... We did not give our best at this part of the game. Except rafique whose quicks wickets at the end of the day kept us in the match. On fifth day morning the team was alive again and they put a pretty decent fight and made it difficult to score the last hundred runs.

Daddy_Mac
April 13, 2006, 05:48 AM
When mash dropped ponting..if he hold on to that it was Clark and Mc Gill to come..no big resistance.....

ghalib.imtiyaz
April 13, 2006, 06:06 AM
Bangladesh team tried their best and we as fans congratulate them on what they accomplished. We were so close to winning the test match but we didnt win it.

For us to a register a win, Ashraful had to fire and Bashar did not need to sacrifice his wicket with a lazy run out. But we still did what South Africa could not achieve. We just didnt have the final push ... i am sure we will learn how to do that when these sort of scenarios becomes the norm rather than being an exception.

Once we get in the habit of playing like these, we will eventually have Ashraful and Aftab firing on all cylinders.

I was glad that Shahadat was picked ahead of other bowlers because at least he was able to hit Ricky poting on his helmet ... and he had his wicket this time too. By the way how fast was he bowling. I am sure he did touch 140 km/h few times. Who knows may be his top speed was 90 mph.

fwullah
April 13, 2006, 07:16 AM
"When mash dropped ponting"I couldn't watch the match today, was it Mashrafee who dropped Ricky Ponting when he was on 97? I read the BBC match reports, and it said that Ponting was dropped on 97.The BBC report also said that Md. Rafique is 'young' from the last paragraph: "Young spinner Mohammad Rafique took 4-98 in the second innings and a match haul of nine wickets but it was not enough to bring about a sensational result for Bangladesh."http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/4904434.stm

helal
April 14, 2006, 07:51 AM
Lazy run out of BASHAR!
exactly bashar ran out is the turning pont.Its just the starting of decline

shamster
April 14, 2006, 04:28 PM
Bashar ugly shot and Bashar run out.

mildwind
April 14, 2006, 08:01 PM

It is a very good point. Yes, I have also thought about it.

But all i wanted to say is playing to the merit of the ball. Take note that every player has his own way to judge the merit of the ball. For instance, Moin Khan can sweep Donald's perfect yorker to Six. But if he bowls the same one to Ponting, he might not think about it. It depends on players' ability. Here comes the term natural game. The way a player is comfortable to handle the attack.

My feeling was that Aftab was pressurized too much not to be able to score a big one in test. As a result of it he was refrained from playing to his instinct. Hence he could be trapped easily. Why? He had been playing defensive against his instinct for a while. When he got a bowl which apparently was a loose one, he would misjudge it and eventually made himself vulnerable by greedily going after that.

Coming back to your point. As you would accept that Aftab is very new to this arena. He is nothing comparing to Ponting. He should learn watching them how they play. For now if he plays his so called "natural game", understand the game much better way and evolve himself as the time goes - would not that be better for us?

May be my thoughts are all wrong. But my strong believe is that you can't change a player solely in this level of game. It is upto them how they make change to themselves, for instance Sachin.