PDA

View Full Version : Strategy for the 5th day

Cricket46
April 12, 2006, 08:04 AM
First of all thanks to Rafique, we are still in the game. Just wanted to mention something that has not been touched upon much – Fielding. Only through the run out did we get the much-awaited breakthrough. Then Rafique put the brakes on the Australians with two front line wickets. So we have to make scoring runs difficult, even if wickets do not fall quickly. No batsman in the world likes to be bogged down by the fielders. Keep attacking the wickets by good throws and backups.

I am assuming new ball is available after 80<SUP>th</SUP> over is completed. So we have 6 more overs to go. I would like to see Rafiq and Enamul begin the proceedings and see how it goes. Very soon there will be the option of taking the new ball. But that might be a very very tricky call to make. We might lose or win the game with the new ball. If the pacemen spray the ball all over the place, then we are done. On the other hand, if they can manage to get the ball to cut in and/or find an edge to the fielders that would be great. So back to tight fielding again.
<O:p
Bashar has to attack. This match cannot be a draw. The longer the Aussies stay at the wicket the greater is their chance of winning. Yes Brett Lee and Warne and Gillespie can all bat quite a bit. But remember, there will be pressure on them as well. So the key is to get Ponting and Gilchrist out soon. In this innings, it seems Ponting is the more dangerous of the two. If we can wrap these two up by the next 40 to even 50 runs, it would open up the door for us, big time.

Sovik
April 12, 2006, 08:21 AM
Attack and attack.

sadi
April 12, 2006, 08:24 AM
forget about it... do you really think our captain Bashar is gonna attack? Just wait and see... he will have a spread field with long off and long on and they will just win it by taking singles....

Anyways... couple of wkts in the morning session will work... if we can get ponting and gilly out early, it will be really interesting... but ponting is looking really good... not sure if thats possible

6alltheway
April 12, 2006, 08:24 AM
yep agree, we have to go all guns blazing if we want to win.

Nasif
April 12, 2006, 08:32 AM
No point in making any strategy . It is pretty much out of our hand. We had our chance we ruined it. It wasn't Aus who took it away, we gave it away to them.

ahms
April 12, 2006, 08:50 AM
If was a player in the current team, I will take motivation from PAK U19 team to motivate myself. In cricket anything can happen. If Allah will, we will win.

Jack47
April 12, 2006, 09:38 AM
Maybe the new ball will be an advantage, but maybe not. Ponting bats at number 3 so he is used to facing the new ball, and Gilly opens for our one-day team. You might have just as good a chance bowling the spinners on this pitch.

Rubu
April 12, 2006, 09:57 AM
Defense attack or whatever that is, no point. The game has already been won by aussies. Do you guys really beleive rafique and enamul can take 6 wickets in 96 runs? Day dreaming.

But I've to give them credit for a enjoyable game. May be next time. Just hope this Multal repeat will not take 3 years to repeat. We'll win some more very soon. But, that is at least a year as we do not have any test in one year after this series.

GuruTM
April 12, 2006, 10:13 AM
Rubu, don't get disheartened. We still have a chance.

cricket_pagol
April 12, 2006, 10:23 AM
Rubu and nasif Bhai, don't give up on the team now. Anything can happen in the fifth day pitch when we have players like Rafique, Mash, Enamul and Shahadat. I would rate Mash and Rafique as the two most dedicated player in Bangladesh team...

SMHasan
April 12, 2006, 11:24 AM
No point in making any strategy . It is pretty much out of our hand. We had our chance we ruined it. It wasn't Aus who took it away, we gave it away to them.

I thought you were saying not to make any strategy cause everuthing depends on Mr Bashar! Now I see you think we have already lost the match.No Nasif bhai we have not lost it yet but to win this match we have to take some serious decisions.

As I said in another thread Bashar needs to be more aggressive. Today when Mashrafee and Shahadat were bowling there was no slip in place which is a rare case in tests. your pace bowlers deserve some attention. Tomorrow when the game starts bring some slips in, at least two, may be three and tell your bowlers to ball as tight as possible. Do your best to keep every fielder awake. Speak to them frequently, walk around them. Don't loose hope so easily.

Again when the spinner come then put slip, short leg, sily point in if necessary. If they attack then wait for a mistake. If we don't attack them then we cant expect them to make any mistake. Its a fruitless waiting.

Without a proper attacking cricket its pretty much impossible to win our biggest match of all.

chinaman
April 12, 2006, 12:56 PM
The match is firmly at our hands now. With the last few breakthough wickets, the morale must be high at the camp. Granted two of the best in business at the crease, but they are last recognized batsmen in the opposition too.

Talking about pressure, we have absolutely nothing to lose. We already got way more than what we asked for. We embarassed them, we brought them to their knees, we scared the day light out of them, we made them seeking hides, we made them sweat every minute of the match - and what not. The onus is unto them. It is them who can not afford to lose.

Ponting duo will be very cautious. Last thing they would want is to lose any more wicket. They would be playing innings of their lives. And here lies our opportunity.

We need to maintain the pressure. We should give everything we could till the last ball without buckling down a sigle bit. Energetic fuilding, error free bowling and thoughtful changes should drive us home.

Miraz
April 12, 2006, 01:01 PM
We need to give allout attack, defensive fielding to save run (which Bashar will do unfortunately) will allow to sttle the aussies. We need to give an allout effort that might result us win or we may lose a bit quickly if aussies can bounce back. But that is the only opportunity to win.

No ball should not be taken before plucking ponting.

SS
April 12, 2006, 01:05 PM
are you guys australians....why are u thinking the way they think...
comn look at our batsmen...and look at their batsmen
How many of BD cricketer, do that kind of committment to our nation and cricket? a very few...Even a win from Ash, Aftab, or other batters don't give me enough evidence that they are playing for the country, they are happy that they are getting paid.

billah
April 12, 2006, 01:36 PM
I'm waiting to see our Rajin as team captain a year or two down the line. Bashar is not a positive or assertive cap. He has too much respect for any opponent. He also has a habit of losing and a fear of winning. With him leadiing the team tomorrow morning, be prepared for frustrating lathergy. He will take the field after preparing his concession speech.

So, the winning strategy, hog tie Bashar, tape his mouth, leave him in the team bathroom, take the field, slay the dragon..

Imtiazk
April 12, 2006, 01:44 PM
What happens if we get a wicket before the new ball is due ? Do we still go on with the old ball. I say No, since if they lose an early wicket, the run rate will come down and the match will not finish so early. The spinners can come back after a few overs if need be but with a harder ball.

sadi
April 12, 2006, 01:53 PM
When Bashar is the captain, I don't think anything will happen unless rafique gets the wicket by bowled or lbw... all the fielders will be in the boundary line and he better forget about them and try to get the wickets on his own...

crazyisland
April 12, 2006, 02:53 PM
I would definitely not take the new ball until either one of the batsmen is out. Both Rafiq and Enamul should start the attack in the morning with a very aggresive fielding setup. Any pop-up has to be taken. I have a feeling Gilcrist is most likely to make a mistake tomorrow trying to play some big shots.

Rafiq and Enamul both need to try some top-spin with some flight - hoping to create some pop-up off Ponting or Gilcrist. If we manage to get a wicket early continue with the spin from both side to get rid of the tail-enders. If we don't manage to get a wicket and Aus is only 50 runs away from the target I would bring the new ball just as the last try. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Bottom line is we must go out with all out attack in the morning. Spin is best mode of attack in this pitch and condition.

We MUST NOT give up now.

sensible
April 12, 2006, 03:06 PM
According to Amar Desh, Bangladesh is planning to start the great Australian tradition of Sledging tomorrow!!!

Nasif
April 12, 2006, 03:09 PM
According to Amar Desh, Bangladesh is planning to start the great Australian tradition of Sledging tomorrow!!!

Whats the point of doing it now? They should have done it yesterday.

sadi
April 12, 2006, 03:09 PM
I think its too late for sledging...

April 12, 2006, 03:11 PM
I'd love if our players start sledging, they have been quite wimpy yesterday! Why is our captain such a meni-biral? If we don't start being aggressive we will get mercilessly a$$-whooped in the remaining games.

roaring tigerz
April 12, 2006, 03:25 PM
Pressure can do strange things to even the most calm nerves. If we do manage to get 2 quick wickets then the pressure will be right on the aussies and it would not be easy for warne and co. to face enam and rafiq. The only way we can get to this stage is by sustained pressure through disciplined bowling, setting aggressive fields and catching whatever comes our way.

Frost
April 12, 2006, 04:30 PM
I'm very sorry to see some pessimistic postings here. Some people have already taken it for granted that we've lost the game. I think we should be thinking positively - only then we can win and win regularly. Think about the Aussies they were in the back seat for first half of this match and now they are in the driving seat. How they turned a losing match into a prospective winning (they have not won yet) match? It's their never-give-up attitude and hard work - that made it happen. They have shown it in the third test against South Africa. SA were in a good position to win the test (with Ntini on a great great form and 6 top orders gone) on 5th day. But they did not give up - they worked hard to win that match. There are many other similar examples. All we need is get a couple of quick wickets to turn the game in our favor. Or we can think about it as follows: they need to score 95 runs (16 to 95 good storkes) and we need 6 good balls. If you limit your imagination you will lose or you will win by luck. I don't care if we lose this match or many other matches to come; but I'll hate to see losing without giving a fight or losing without having a plan/strategy to win. A big number of the great battle in the history were won by smarter people with great plan not by brute force. So do not worry, just make a good plan and apply it. We will win someday, if not today. Cheers!!!

Beamer
April 12, 2006, 04:44 PM
Frost- tell that to Bashar will ' ya? I think the fourm members are generally upbeat and still optimistic. Naysayers will always be around. It doesn't really matter what we think. It only matters what the team thinks and more importantly what the Captain thinks and does. Good words though.

Frost
April 12, 2006, 04:52 PM
Beamer Da - If I ever meet him (Bashar) or any other Bangladeshi player - I'll definitely do that:smile:

Rubu
April 12, 2006, 05:29 PM
Here is my " Strategy for the 5th day": go to sleep at 10PM. I think this is the best strategy anyone can have tonight.

Come on guys, this game is over.

Hatebreed
April 12, 2006, 06:24 PM
Our strategy should be to attack the Aussies with everything we got, take Ponting & Gilly's wicket very quickly, appeal loud and unitedly...if India can take 10 wickets for 93 when defending only 107, why can't we take 6 more wickets for 95 runs??

This has been a dream game for us which we could have won if it wasn't for our lousy performance from day 3. Who knows what could happen in the future

SMHasan
April 12, 2006, 06:49 PM
are you guys australians....why are u thinking the way they think...
comn look at our batsmen...and look at their batsmen
How many of BD cricketer, do that kind of committment to our nation and cricket? a very few...Even a win from Ash, Aftab, or other batters don't give me enough evidence that they are playing for the country, they are happy that they are getting paid.

Its not about commitment dear SS its about temperment.

fai_hasan
April 12, 2006, 06:57 PM
may be two more wickets, not more than that.

shimraj
April 12, 2006, 07:02 PM
I'm waiting to see our Rajin as team captain a year or two down the line. Bashar is not a positive or assertive cap. He has too much respect for any opponent. He also has a habit of losing and a fear of winning. With him leadiing the team tomorrow morning, be prepared for frustrating lathergy. He will take the field after preparing his concession speech.

So, the winning strategy, hog tie Bashar, tape his mouth, leave him in the team bathroom, take the field, slay the dragon..

Classic :D

shimraj
April 12, 2006, 07:09 PM
Our strategy should be to loose by less than 6 wickets. And in doing so, if we win I will take it. :D