PDA

View Full Version : Test-1 Verdicts: Hats off to the Tigers!

Ahmed_B
April 12, 2006, 02:00 PM
The game is not over yet... but, as it appears, will be over within just over a session of play tomorrow. But lots of praise and congratulations from my part to the brave tigers. All they lacked was the experience to kill the opposition after being in dominant position in longer version of the game.

For the first 2 days, tigers dominated the match... but it was only on the 3rd day while batting for 2nd time that they started to smell a possible victory. But they lacked the temperament to hold on to it. They lacked the experience to be able to change their own style of playing. The Aussies, as expected, showed great example of how to be stubborn.

When vastly Gilly turned around with all his determination, Bashar and the whole team lacked the experience to hold their nerves.

The Tigers probably had no clue as to what to do with a 150+ runs lead just on the 3rd day of the game. It was an astonishingly great situation after all... which BD had never been into. Not to mention the butterflies in their stomachs while they were smelling a possible upset already on the third day.

And again, I must mention that major share of current BD team’s batting consists of ‘strokeplayers’(S. Nafees, Ash, Aftab, Bashar, Rafiq, Mash.. all of them) rather than patient batsmen. I should say, among those, only Bashar & S. Nafees has shown the maturity to be able to adopt their game according to match situations. We need a few more like Rajin or Pilot in our Test squad specially.

And for the people who would like to blame it all on Bashar alone, I want to say that it’s rather unfair to compare his job with most other Test-playing nations. Because those captains actually enjoy the luxury of leading a bunch of hugely experienced cricketers who do half the thinking themselves. Just think about Gilly or Warne or Lee. No one had to tell them how to control the situations... it’s them who support their captain by coming up with astonishing fight-backs. And that they do from their own vastly experienced past.

A test match can change it’s colors and turn around in every sessions. The current BD squad just had some bitter experiences of losing faith and concentration when opposition is pushing hard. But at the end of the game... they will realize that there were several points where they have let it lose. That’s where experience counts. There is no such thing as first hand experience to learn where and how things can go wrong. And surely this has been a great 5 days of play for the Team where they saw so many colors of the match.

The Tiger’s have taken the game beyond everyone’s expectations and they did it in a 5 day match (not an ODI!)... they really deserve lots of praise for that despite some of the mistakes they made on the way.

I would say they made a very bold statement already in this tour and for the series coming ahead.

sadi
April 12, 2006, 02:04 PM
Hopefully they will learn something from this... maybe some people will run a little harder while others won't leave the ball which is gonna hit the offstump

6alltheway
April 12, 2006, 04:46 PM
Moral victory is ours, but thats all it is moral victory for ourself to prove to us we can play and we can play against the best.

Now its time to prove it to rest of the world by and winning it.

OZGOD
April 12, 2006, 06:18 PM
The OZ haven't won this yet by a long shot - 95 runs on a last day pitch with a long tail is a tricky situation to be in. If Ponting bats till the end, we'll win. If he falls early, the tail gets opened up.

But as for the OZ recovery and the Bangladesh collapse, this was all a question of mental strength and self-belief. The Banglas have never been in a position where they were in the drivers' seat over the first couple of days. The first couple of days there was no pressure on them as nobody expected to win, and they played freely, with nothing to lose. Consequently they played at their best, in a carefree manner, and enjoyed themselves. On the third day expectations had changed - all of a sudden their nation was thinking, and praying, that they would win. You could see that pressure on them when they played - they played like a team which had something precious in their hands that they didn't want to lose, but didn't know how to keep.

The OZ, on the other hand, were in a no-win situation from the start. If they flogged Bangladesh all they would have done was conform to people' expectations. If they didn't flog Bangladesh then the pressure would have been on, due to Bangla's lowly ranking. The first couple of days they were under immense pressure - the risk of losing to a team that nobody expected them to lose to. But the OZ have played under pressure before, many times, and Gilly pulled out a big innings under pressure. The OZ have been in this position, having to save the match after conceding a big deficit in the 1st innings - the more you play these situations the better you get at them.

It's a funny thing, pressure. It causes some players to rise to the occasion and others to fall. But one thing's for sure - the more and more you play under pressure, the better you get at handling it. This has been a good Test for Bangladesh and whether they win, lose or draw, they will have taken a lot out of it - about how to handle pressure, about how to turn the screws when in a dominant position. They'll be formidable opposition for the likes of SL, the WI and Zim primarily, and definitely be competitive against the top nations, once they get that self-belief.

It's disappointing that after this Test series Bangla have no others for a year. I reckon you could knock off the WI at home if your team had that self-belief and confidence.

Thirdman
April 12, 2006, 06:25 PM
Look at my signature for my comment on this...

Sorry
April 12, 2006, 06:31 PM
welcome to BC OZGOD.
well said.
BTW, your nick could have been better with OZGOR- a big snake.

OZGOD
April 12, 2006, 06:39 PM
welcome to BC OZGOD.
well said.
BTW, your nick could have been better with OZGOR- a big snake.

Cheers mate. I wish I could say that OZGOD was a typo, but unfortunately it's not. I needed something simple to remember and this was as simple as it was.:D

ammark
April 12, 2006, 07:22 PM
One week ago, we were all hoping that BD play respectably. If you think about it, they have achieved this by taking the game to the fifth day. I cannot but congratulate our team for whatever they have done. But we still have far to go, much introspection to do, and a lot of hard work to get by. We were very close, yet became so far apart from victory. And committed many mistakes that we should never make again. Insha'Allah with time and effort we *will* beat the world champions.

bengaltiger
April 12, 2006, 07:44 PM
yess, hats off for the tigers. it was so close...next time perhpas it will tilt...

roi
April 12, 2006, 09:39 PM
It's disappointing that after this Test series Bangla have no others for a year. I reckon you could knock off the WI at home if your team had that self-belief and confidence.

Yah man...WI can be a very good side to hunt down!
We should invite WI and beat them comprehensively!
1 down...8 to go.....;)