PDA

View Full Version : My only quibble: The second innings batting - what the hell happened?

jabbar
April 13, 2006, 02:19 AM
Australia win in a tight match. A fantastic effort by teh BD boys, and they deserve a round of applause. But they should not become complacent and think they did everything possible to win. There is an obvious shortfall in the BD performance which we all agree is an area the team needs to improve, and that's their 2nd innings batting performance. I cannot comprehend how they could have played so badly in teh second innings.

It was very possible for them to make at least 200 - 250 runs, given the way they started. Bashar's tardy running between wickets seems to have set the mood for the team during that innings, and although it is admirable that he publicly admitted his mistake in a news article, it doesn't make up his mistake. In contrast, Ponting has shown true grit, determination and above all, concentration (except the near-disastrous blip where Mash dropped him before he made his hundred). I must say that Bashar's captaincy, both on the field, and in his batting in the second innings, left a bit to be desired. As a Tiger fan, I can only hope he improves in time for teh second Test. However, we should not lay all the blame on Bashar for teh second innings abberation. The team was not on the job and it appears that experience in dealing with such a situation, against the likes of a team like Australia, was lacking. Given their previous encounter with Pakistan where they were in a similar situation, you would have hoped that they would have applied what they learned from that experience.

What other areas do you think teh Tigers need to improve on in time for the 2nd Test?

Sovik
April 13, 2006, 02:51 AM
What other areas do you think teh Tigers need to improve on in time for the 2nd Test?
Mentality. They are not mentaly fit enough. they thought the job is done and went there and played some shots

crickwizard
April 13, 2006, 03:19 AM
48/0 to 148/10 is a joke. Psychologically BD batsmen were behind, they thought the pitch 'started' to break since it was end of day3, so loosing wicket was ok. And then few things happened

1. The dumb captain run himself out
2. Ashraful's out was worst umpiring mistake of the game
3. Aftab played a reckless shot, again, for the second time
4. On Day 4, they have not even try hard to stay on wicket, again, they thought wicket became 'unplayable'

A captain plays a very important role in Cricket. You won't see BD winning in a test game as any captain (even Inzamam) will outclass Basher. He is like those students who memorize note books before exams. He does things what he is told and never takes action on ground based on the game (not even a smart fielding change, let alone bowling change) This stupid is causing a long term damage in BD cricket development.

Miraz
April 13, 2006, 03:31 AM
48/0 to 148/10 is a joke. Psychologically BD batsmen were behind, they thought the pitch 'started' to break since it was end of day3, so loosing wicket was ok. And then few things happened

4. On Day 4, they have not even try hard to stay on wicket, again, they thought wicket became 'unplayable'

A captain plays a very important role in Cricket. You won't see BD winning in a test game as any captain (even Inzamam) will outclass Basher. He is like those students who memorize note books before exam. He does things what he is told and never take action on ground based on the game (not even a smart fielding change, let alone bowling change) This stupid is causing a long term damage in BD cricket development.

I would add one more thing with you

5. Khaled Masud played like a 'Novice' to leave the ball which was heading toward off stamp and Gillespie was bowling far from the crease.

IanW
April 13, 2006, 03:31 AM
Crickwizard,

You are being brutally unfair to Bashar.

Overall, his bowling changes worked - and at time, he did aggressive things that didnt come off (ie Ash for an over, hoping to buy a wicket).

He isnt in the Mike Brearley class, but as a captain, he shits on any of the West Indians since Clive Lloyd.

Ian Whitchurch

cricket_pagla
April 13, 2006, 06:40 AM
some poor batting by over confidence BD batsman... that's what happened!!!

6alltheway
April 13, 2006, 08:49 AM

A captain plays a very important role in Cricket. You won't see BD winning in a test game as any captain (even Inzamam) will outclass Basher. He is like those students who memorize note books before exams. He does things what he is told and never takes action on ground based on the game (not even a smart fielding change, let alone bowling change) This stupid is causing a long term damage in BD cricket development.

u agree but also becoz of thier run rate, did you see the run rate of aussie in the 2nd innings compared to BD?

it was rediculous, there was no reason to play that many shots. BD simply aint pateint enough.

User Name
April 13, 2006, 09:20 AM
I cannot comprehend how they could have played so badly in teh second innings.

why are you so surprised? are you visiting us from a different planet and watched us play cricket for the first time??

ialbd
April 13, 2006, 10:44 AM
hmm thats the thing..... we should be surprised if BD scores 250+ in their second innings.

For the 2nd test I dont think they can score 427 again, but 300+ is very much possible, but in order to put up a fight BD needs to score in their 2nd innings.
________
Xt225 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XT225)

ialbd
April 13, 2006, 10:49 AM
This is the game of test match: You have to bat & bowl well in both the innings and dominate atleast 3 days out of 5.

Lets see how the 2nd test turns out.

P.S: Ahsraful er theke ekta big score ekhon paona hoye geche, I guess he knows that....
________
Dodge 330 history (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_330)

Tigers_eye
April 13, 2006, 11:18 AM
Did we forget how Pakistan won against England?
England played way better than Pakistan in the 1st test for four days. Then in the last day Pakistan won the match. So to put it straight, BD's concentration level is not up to the par yet. At times it is excellent and at times I fear Canada. But these tests should prepare them to be mentally tough. If we can continue, we would target SL rather than WI.
Did we not hear Ravi saying about BD fielding and fielding placements? Australia in the fifth day weren't prepared to hit the boom boom shots. They took singles that should not be there, and made the singles to doubles. That's should say something about Bashar's fielding placement and strategy. I thought if I only had a walkie-talkie and contact bashar....

AussieFan
April 17, 2006, 01:03 AM
Crickwizard,

You are being brutally unfair to Bashar.

Overall, his bowling changes worked - and at time, he did aggressive things that didnt come off (ie Ash for an over, hoping to buy a wicket).

He isnt in the Mike Brearley class, but as a captain, he shits on any of the West Indians since Clive Lloyd.

Ian Whitchurch

What does he do on any of the West Indians ? :-/ I really don't think so.